• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which match am I? (Let's play a game!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
First mistake is assuming that it is a Liverpool Scott that scores

Scot Gemmil for Forest.....hmm...I have a faint memory of him scoring against us. 90's sometime.

He is a Scott and a Scouser but doesn't play for Liverpool.
Final clue

I think it's Scott Dann because he's a Scouser I think.

Not really sure of the game though. I don't remember him scoring against us tbh.

Yeah, but you said Scot.

Scott isn't the same as Scot. Nor is Scott Dann Scottish.

So...

Sorry I'm too pedantic to let this shit go lol.

Yeah, but you said Scot.

Scott isn't the same as Scot. Nor is Scott Dann Scottish.

So...

Sorry I'm too pedantic to let this shit go lol.
Well, to be equally pedantic I said a Scot,
Which could be construed as someone from Scotland or someone christened with one of the different spelling variations of the name Scot.
Scot, Scott, Skott etc.

If I wanted to make it clear that I was referring to someone called Scott I simply would have said "Scott scored"

Well, to be equally pedantic I said a Scot,
Which could be construed as someone from Scotland or someone christened with one of the different spelling variations of the name Scot.
Scot, Scott, Skott etc.

If I wanted to make it clear that I was referring to someone called Scott I simply would have said "Scott scored"

No that doesn't hold up. Names don't belong in categories like that. For that sentence to be even close to literally true you'd have to at least put inverted commas round Scot, or something. As it was, it was misleading.

Anyways.

No that doesn't hold up. Names don't belong in categories like that. For that sentence to be even close to literally true you'd have to at least put inverted commas round Scot, or something. As it was, it was misleading.

Anyways.
You are being too narrow minded Peter

I'm surprised you're even arguing the point tbh. I wouldn't have mentioned it but the clue was pretty tightly worded, with multiple misdirections (Scot the name, not the nationality, a scorer against us rather than for us) and needed a lot of parsing to get any useful guidance from. To have a chance you need to be able to eliminate as many possibilities as you can, and I relied on the presumption that the spelling would be correct to deduce that we were looking for a Scottish player, not a player roughly called Scot. To be able to fairly trick people with the closeness of spelling between Scot and Scott you might, for example, have written 'a Scot more or less won the game....'.

Anyway, it's ultimately a minor quibble. tomasjj's turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom