• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Who is 2nd choice?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who is your alternative feasible option?

• Ruben Amorim

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Roger Schmidt

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Roberto De Zerbi

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hans Flick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zinedine Zidane

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Inzaghi

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
If we wanted Xabi i believe we could make him an offer he can’t refuse, so i don’t believe this is ‘Xabi wants to stay’ but Edwards wants someone else.

If we wanted Xabi i believe we could make him an offer he can’t refuse, so i don’t believe this is ‘Xabi wants to stay’ but Edwards wants someone else.

Or we are doing our due diligence on all the candidates before returning to Alonso.

I'd be OK with the Porto manager as well.

Think we should keep the existing coaching staff and get another cheerleader we can all get behind, primarily to run to the kop shouting maggies in the mud and cuddling people. Torn between Mick Lynch and Jeremy Corbyn

If the spreadsheets lads are so fucking sure of themselves they should park the idea of building a death star above Liverpool and have a go at managing themselves

Or maybe Xabi doesn't fancy being Klopp's immediate replacement, so is sticking with Leverkusen rather than take a bigger job elsewhere to leave the way clear to take over from said replacement if that guy fails?

Or maybe Xabi doesn't fancy being Klopp's immediate replacement, so is sticking with Leverkusen rather than take a bigger job elsewhere to leave the way clear to take over from said replacement if that guy fails?

Yeah true, i think during the Alonso thread i made a similar point that for many he’s the greatest manager they’ll live through at LFC. It’s a big job to fill.

It seemed like the stars had aligned for alonso. He either comes now or turns into one of the bunch of elite merry-go-round ancelotti types or fails big somewhere and starts again at spurs. This was the chance. Forget about him for a decade

It’s funny how much i keep flip flopping on who i want with each post in all these manager threads but that’s primarily because i have no clue about most of them.

There’s a lot going on, i do agree with the earlier post about De Zerbi, he’s having the legs cut out from under him being part of a selling club who’ve been without their recent crown jewels.

There are too many good reasons for Alonso not to come, he doesn’t want to be the Moyes of the piece, his kids are at a really difficult age to move, loyalty/comfort at Leverkusen and he’s got great offers in places that might make more sense logistically. I definitely feel that he thinks Liverpool will come around again at some stage.

Part of me wants someone random under the radar like Iraola and i can definitely see the nerds having relative unknowns on their list.

Amorim makes the most sense for me. Affordable, distinctive style of play not dramatically different to ours, fluent in English, can get the most out of his players.

Emery is my 2nd choice, but it's hard to get over the arsenal stint, and I'm not sure his style of play translates to some of our players

Sorry JJ but that makes no sense to me. You'd give up this squad because you don't want to follow Klopp. A squad primed for trophies over the next few seasons before the inevitable VvD, Ali and Mo. drop offs?

Roberto De Zerbi: Brighton boss is playing beautiful and brilliant football - do Liverpool dare to go there?

When Brighton are hot, they are hot.

From January 2023 to the end of last season, Brighton led the way for expected goals (51.3) in the Premier League, bettering Manchester City's tally of 46.18 for the same period. No team had more shots (605) or shots on target (228) than the scintillating Seagulls. It took them to Europe for the first time.

De Zerbi's courageous and exciting attacking style does lend itself to his defence being exposed but even if including their expected goals against record, their overall expected goals difference (expected goals - expected goals against) of 21.6 ranked them second only to Pep Guardiola's team during that period last season. Brighton's process was frighteningly impressive.

The dark side of De Zerbi's football has been more of the narrative this campaign, where Brighton have struggled with their added workload of European football. Tired minds are leading to more mistakes.

Brighton have made eight errors leading to goals this season, the joint-most by any team in the Premier League along with bottom club Sheffield United. No team have faced more shots from individual errors either (18). That commitment to playing out from the back comes at a price.

1.jpg

Sorry JJ but that makes no sense to me. You'd give up this squad because you don't want to follow Klopp. A squad primed for trophies over the next few seasons before the inevitable VvD, Ali and Mo. drop offs?

I was floating the possibility rather than making a definite analysis, but it does make sense to me. I'm afraid I don't think you're giving nearly enough weight to the magnitude of the shock that Klopp's departure will cause to the system, both individually and across the club as a whole.

I was floating the possibility rather than making a definite analysis, but it does make sense to me. I'm afraid I don't think you're giving nearly enough weight to the magnitude of the shock that Klopp's departure will cause to the system, both individually and across the club as a whole.
You may be jumping the gun there mate. We have precedent for continuing with winning trophies despite managerial (and multiple player) changes.

OK it was a long time ago and under different circumstances but the hand wringing was evident at each managerial change : Shanks > Paisley > Fagan > Kenny. In fact one could also say Houllier > Benitez too (at a lower level but still winning trophies).

And with an inferior squad and owners/management team to that in place now. I'm still confident that, given we secure a progressive, top, manager (Emery or Nagelsmann assuming Xabi is not available) and not a pure gamble (which I think Amorim or Inzaghi would be - to say nothing of the fact Amorim always plays 3 at the back) this squad is capable of much more (and more so given that FFP is now showing its teeth and clearly having an effect).

Last edited:
These are all underwhelming choices. Xabi was the only one who was coming close.

I'd sooner keep Intensity Pep on. Given the options, he might be the best choice, if the metric is to keep success going and get the best out his players.

I respectfully disagree, old pal. He's made it clear that he's off in the summer but he flopped as a manager when he tried it initially anyway, and at a much lower level than he'd have to cope with here. I know Ajax have set their cap at him but IMO that's as much a reflection of the mess they're currently in as it is a positive choice in its own right. Quite a few great coaches haven't made great managers. I suspect Lijnders might be another.

Not being too pessimistic but I don't think this squad is primed for trophies. The magic ingredient is Klopp who is making this squad punch way above its weight. I feel we are going to see the squads true level when he leaves which is still very very good. But not the can compete for quad level.

Not being too pessimistic but I don't think this squad is primed for trophies. The magic ingredient is Klopp who is making this squad punch way above its weight. I feel we are going to see the squads true level when he leaves which is still very very good. But not the can compete for quad level.
I don't know. We have an excellent squad with just a few holes. So long as our backbone stays put and we add 2-3 quality players in the Summer, which with a new manager is a given, then we are going to be challenging for the PL & CL again next season.

Klopp had gotten us here. But that doesn't mean another manager can't take us forward. Or does everyone feel a drop off is inevitable? I certainly don't.

If Inzaghi can’t do it, I would also consider Nagelsmann - really impressed how he seems to have turned Germany around. Every decision he made lately has been spot-on.

Back
Top Bottom