• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Windbag Wields the Axe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your frequent reminders that this isn't better than last year signals that is at least one source for your disenchantment. Macca if you think I'm being disrespectful to you by challenging you on this, then I think you should remember that I have always been amiable to and supportive of you on here. So I think the mock indignation is a bit unnecessary too. I have no desire to 'slur' you, and I do find that a properly insulting suggestion given our friendship on this site.

Some serious arse licking there lad.

It's been bullshit for decades. They're just fans, making Anfield so quiet you can hear individual voices on the other side of the pitch, booing at regular intervals and groaning whenever a pass goes astray. It's probably the club with the highest quotient of self-adoring nostalgists who still think they're part of that swaying mass of humanity singing 'She Loves You' as pipe smoking broadcasters from London grip the tips of their waistcoats in awe. Yes, the DVDS, LFCTV re-runs and Dave Kirby 'plays' and poems help sustain this culture of deception, but that's all it is. It's all self-mythologising shit.

I think people have always, generally, misinterpreted what the tag was for. It was for having a large amount of supporters who know their shit, being one of the most atmospheric crowds for big games and those fabulous European nights and generally just having a lot more character and charisma than your average fanbase.

Of course, everyone's got their dickheads, so it's inevitable that filters through on the terraces and on here. Truth is aswell, we've been spoiled over the years, so criticism and impatience is something that's reared it's head on the back of a break in consistent success. Add a new generation who've grown up with 'other' sides being the biggest clubs in the league and the consistent contenders for silverware and it's left us a bit short of where we once where. Just like on the pitch.

Heh I can sympathize with Macca reaching the end of his tether - this whole being shit does make you want to rant at the world every now and again.

I felt the same way with Skully and one or two others last season... I have my limits with the whole positive outlook thing and I find the gallows humour a more enjoyable.

Heh I can sympathize with Macca reaching the end of his tether - this whole being shit does make you want to rant at the world every now and again.

I felt the same way with Skully and one or two others last season... I have my limits with the whole positive outlook thing and I find the gallows humour a more enjoyable.

I understand the point about Rodgers too, I'd rather look at what's happening on the pitch though and that's where I can see alot of promise.

I was as gutted as Doc and Macca over Kenny, he generally talked the talk and gave us a bit of grace back, but on the pitch and in the transfer market last season we failed. Rodgers has made some ill-advised comments, but he's also shown a good solid stern approach which I think we've missed too. Once thing that really grates me though is his ideal that footballers are cogs (a bit like Rafa) and that ego's shouldn't come into it and everyone should be treated equally and not as superstars. And then he shows us around his extensive living room whom's centre piece is a massive canvas of himself.

I get the irritation.

I think people have always, generally, misinterpreted what the tag was for. It was for having a large amount of supporters who know their shit, being one of the most atmospheric crowds for big games and those fabulous European nights and generally just having a lot more character and charisma than your average fanbase.

Of course, everyone's got their dickheads, so it's inevitable that filters through on the terraces and on here. Truth is aswell, we've been spoiled over the years, so criticism and impatience is something that's reared it's head on the back of a break in consistent success. Add a new generation who've grown up with 'other' sides being the biggest clubs in the league and the consistent contenders for silverware and it's left us a bit short of where we once where. Just like on the pitch.

It goes back a long way, Mark, doesn't it? Only recently Hansen was saying how, just after winning the last league title, the players felt flat and the crowd seemed subdued, as it had become so much 'business as usual' much of the old atmosphere had dissipated. Then the complacency turned slowly into frustration and anger as the wins dried up. The one isolated aspect that still can be appreciated is the odd reception for ex-players and opposing teams that have really played well, but even that surprises where it once seemed perfectly natural. I really do think, though, that resisting the nostalgia is important, if only for the mental health of some fans. I don't want to look back, but it's become the line of least resistance. Everyone should be focussing coldly and calmly on the here and now.

When I go the game, and mostly on here, I don't really meet anyone who likes the discuss the good old days, it's all about the current team. So I think this implication of being wrapped in suffocating nostalgia is nonsense. It's OK to warmly remember good times in our history though at the same time as long as you're not obsessed with it or grimly hanging on in the thought that this history makes you a decent team somehow. We're not. We've a shit team, stupid owners, an unproven manager and some good fans and some really shit ones.

I didn't mean people TALK about the past at a game. I meant too many of them arrive with this perspective, constantly puffed up by the culture industry, that the LFC of now deserves the same status as the ones of yesteryear. All of this 'We're Liverpool!' rubbish as if that's supposed be some special incantation that summons up the old success and respect. Look at the team, look at the squad, look at the position in the league and stop reacting as though it's a top four club.

I didn't mean people TALK about the past at a game. I meant too many of them arrive with this perspective, constantly puffed up by the culture industry, that the LFC of now deserves the same status as the ones of yesteryear. All of this 'We're Liverpool!' rubbish as if that's supposed be some special incantation that summons up the old success and respect. Look at the team, look at the squad, look at the position in the league and stop reacting as though it's a top four club.

Again, most people I meet don't have that attitude any more and are firmly aware of how mediocre we are. We may be a big club in terms of fan base and income but that's where it ends. The rest is mediocrity although there is nothing wrong in aspiring for some of our former glories. I actually think those days will never come back now and a steady decline is inevitable.

Because we've been steadily declining for years and I see the same mismanagement of the club and poor signings occurring to the point we can no longer rely on our name as a big club to actually attract the right level of talent. Thus said problems will be compounded and decline will continue. Now your turn

Because we've been steadily declining for years and I see the same mismanagement of the club and poor signings occurring to the point we can no longer rely on our name as a big club to actually attract the right level of talent. Thus said problems will be compounded and decline will continue. Now your turn
Yeah, this is how I feel.

I was saying the same thing at work the other day. I really struggle to see a way back for us.

We had a couple of chances in the last 5 years or so and unfortunately we blew 'em.

When I go the game, and mostly on here, I don't really meet anyone who likes the discuss the good old days, it's all about the current team. So I think this implication of being wrapped in suffocating nostalgia is nonsense. It's OK to warmly remember good times in our history though at the same time as long as you're not obsessed with it or grimly hanging on in the thought that this history makes you a decent team somehow. We're not. We've a shit team, stupid owners, an unproven manager and some good fans and some really shit ones.

It can be overbearing when comparisons are made to current sides - everyone wants the next player to some through and be the new Rush, Gerrard, Owen etc. That's something I always find when talking to (some) old timers. People might talk about the current side, but I do find comparisons are often made to how things were done, what players we did have, etc.

A guy at the game a few weeks ago was telling me how Jack Robinson is going to be a great left back, probably the best since Rob Jones had a stint there. Then spent the game roaring at him every five minutes, like an over passionate father stood on the side lines living his life through his kid. Funny like, but like I said, everyone's got their dickhead fans.

I'm not a Calvinist.

I can't tell you how much it's upset me seeing Macca and Sunny squabbling like this. Macca is a true gent and a real asset to this site, as is Sunny, who incidentally also has one of the stiffest penises on Merseyside. Please grow up.

Only when he see you...

Y-front man then?

So you haven't got an answer then, that's OK.

Look, I could spend thirty minutes or so discussing how many variables are involved, how each concatenation of them could possibly lead to something good, bad or indifferent, and I could speculate on the many things that would need to happen to create further sustained success. But would you really care? The simple point is I'm not the one regarding anything, positive or negative, as 'inevitable'. I must say it's a bit suspicious how you've gone from berating me for being negative to being too positive, but I'm sure our little spat today is boring everyone else to tears, and I've told Fabio I'm not going to prolong it, so you say what you like but I'm not continuing with this.

This isn't anything to do with the so called spat but is just me asking you to give your reasons but, as you're refusing to give them, I can only assume you don't have any. Do carry on turning the onus back onto someone else though. You're very good at that.

I can't tell you how much it's upset me seeing Macca and Sunny squabbling like this. Macca is a true gent and a real asset to this site, as is Sunny, who incidentally also has one of the stiffest penises on Merseyside. Please grow up.

What's the unit of measurement for stiffness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom