• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

The thing is though, he moves to Madrid or Bayern let’s say this early in his career and fails spectacularly….where does he go from there?

Xabi is a smart guy and I’m sure he backs himself but in this game you can quickly go back from hero to zero as you did zero to hero. Ask Nagelsmann, AVB, Cocu and all these other young managers what happened when they jumped too early.

I was going to say Liverpool is a job at a similar level but having thought about it, I think it's actually harder.

Liverpool is one of the hardest jobs in football. The PL is insanely competitive and (traditionally) we try and compete without spending the same kind of money as though at the very top. Throw in the fact that whoever comes in is following Klopp... eek.

That said, if he stinks the place out here, Bayern / Real might actually still be willing to take a gamble on him... maybe Bayern more.

Cocu’s a bit random - he didn’t really go for a move to a big team did he?

Nagelsmann while be fine - he’ll pick up a top job in Spain or England after the Euros.

AVB is indeed a weird one.

Anyway… if you fail at a top job and you’re desperate, there’s always Spurs or Everton.
No idea why I thought Cocu was at Barca but there you go.

Could even mention Lampard and Gerrard, maybe Gattuso too.

We'll see what Xabi decides to do, but I'm not sure why everyone's putting all their eggs into 1 basket acting as if the club has already singled him out and he's already decided he's coming.

Are the Bayern and Real jobs really all that? Even though PL clubs have moved more to the continental model with sporting directors etc, I still think the manager here is a bigger and more respected job than it is at somewhere like Bayern. I mean, it's basically a revolving door over there - so if they need a new coach every couple of years then the quality is inevitably going to be quite low on average.

To me if you're a coach and want a chance to really build something meaningful and leave a legacy etc, it's the big English jobs that are the pinnacle.

I think if Tuchel is fired, which seems rather likely, there are 2 very big factors for Xabi to decide in favour of Bayern:

1. The job of replacing Klopp will be enormous - no matter how good you are, there is almost no chance of looking favourably in the comparison. It will be much easier to replace Tuchel and improve on the results in Bayern.

2. He doesn’t have to move his family to a new country.

If Xabi really considers Liverpool to be his dream job and is willing to take a risk for it, those 2 factors can be overcome. But rationally, Bayern probably makes more sense for him.

We need to start seriously discussing a Plan B to Xabi.

Last edited:
Amorim
I think if Tuchel is fired, whixh seems very likely, there are 2 very big factors in favour of Bayern:

1. The job of replacing Klopp will be enormous - no matter how good you are, there is almost no chance of looking favourably in the comparison. It will be much easier to replace Tuchel and improve on the results in Bayern.

I think if Tuchel is fired, which seems rather likely, there are 2 very big factors for Xabi to decide in favour of Bayern:

If Xabi really considers Liverpool to be his dream job and is willing to take a risk for it, those 2 factors can be overcome. But rationally, Bayern probably makes more sense for him.

Yea for me I’ve always thought the first point is huge. People keep saying about Klopp leaving a good squad behind as some kind of counter to it but it’s also a nice bit of rope to hang yourself with if you can’t get a tune out of the same bunch.

You never want to be the guy after the guy. There’s no way Xabi isn’t thinking about that.

I find it a bit weird that posters are saying we need to consider other options or 'the club is moving too slow' we'll lose him if we don't get this sewn up, as if any of us know what the club have done!

I'm sure the club has already considered all options and probably approached more than one manager (and maybe / probably Xabi has already agreed). I'm absolutely certain it's not just sitting on its hands!

For Xabi I'll give a very loose simile : if you'd already won the BL and Pokal (and potentially the EL) with a Brighton level team how much of an incentive is there to move to City just to repeat it?

Wouldn't moving to the best and toughest league in the world (and to a club that Xabi has stated he has the most emotional attachment to) be far far more interesting?

It's not as if moving the family now is a major factor, the reality is (stating this as a fact from experts in the field, when my company was relocating expats) it's far better to move children when they are young, the younger the better, children are very adaptable, actually far more so than adults and the family already has experience (which makes moving again easier?

Last edited:
Why isn’t anyone talking about the most inevitable outcome?

Tuchel to follow Klopp again and take us over and Xabi to go to Bayern to have a crack at the CL while winning another league title.

In terms of personality, there is none like Klopp, we all know that. No one is expecting him to follow Klopp in that way.
The big differences between Liverpool and Bayern which makes us more appealing is he will be given slack. There is no pressure to win things straight away as there is with Bayern Munich.
We cam match Bayern with salary and transfer budget

Tuchel to follow Klopp again and take us over and Xabi to go to Bayern to have a crack at the CL while winning another league title.

Because this isn't the most inevitable outcome.

The most inevitable outcome is Hodgson to return to the fold.

Is it because it’s about as inevitable as City collapsing by the end of the season, sacking Pep and appointing Fat Sam to get them back on track?

Last edited:

Thats true Mate, but the funny thing about Liverpool fanbase is that they believe, strongly in their managers, and to a lot of extent their players as well, and they give them time to prove themselves. In many instances they overdo this however it is one good reason why most managers if the opportunity is there, would want to coach Liverpool which would easily be the peak of their coaching careers. Yes Klopp has achieved so much, hugely loved and it would be difficult for next immediate manager to fit in there, but then when he arrived the fans believed in him and gave him time. On the other hand Xabi as a player was already adored and his track record as a manager is the best there is available on the horizon at the moment. The fans will understand and are more likely to trust in him that the other upcoming coaches. I feel that Xabi by now would know this and would be prepared for it. Similarly FSG over the years have come to understand the EPL and now have the patience to let the manager connect with players and fans... and yeah we are not like Chelsea, Spurs, Man U or Everton.
At one time we thought Jude Bellingham would chose to join us than any other club out there. Yes his heart was with us but it was the issue of earnings, well that Plan B maybe for real, Ruben Amorim is the next best after Alonso.

Last edited:
Reactions: dee
Thats true Mate, but the funny thing about Liverpool fanbase is that they believe, strongly in their managers, and to a lot of extent their players as well, and they give them time to prove themselves. In many instances they overdo this however it is one good reason why most managers if the opportunity is there, would want to coach Liverpool which would easily be the peak of their coaching careers. Yes Klopp has achieved so much, hugely loved and it would be difficult for next immediate manager to fit in there, but then when he arrived the fans believed in him and gave him time. On the other hand Xabi as a player was already adored and his track record as a manager is the best there is available on the horizon at the moment. The fans will understand and are more likely to trust in him that the other upcoming coaches. I feel that Xabi by now would know this and would be prepared for it. Similarly FSG over the years have come to understand the EPL and now have the patience to let the manager connect with players and fans... and yeah we are not like Chelsea, Spurs, Man U or Everton.
At one time we thought Jude Bellingham would chose to join us than any other club out there. Yes his heart was with us but it was the issue of earnings, well that Plan B maybe for real, Ruben Amorim is the next best after Alonso.
Roy would disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

Roy would disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.
A day in charge was too long for Woy…worst appointment ever…I think our fanbase was incredibly patient given he was his face-rubbing, negative and morose self from day one…talk about someone who doesn’t get the club at all being put in charge…

Roy was an unpopular appointment made because he'd shut up and have zero ambition. He was like Petain in Vichy France.
Why are we talking about Woy? He was England and CP manager. Nothing to do with us, NOTHING I say!

: puts fingers in ears:

A day in charge was too long for Woy…worst appointment ever…I think our fanbase was incredibly patient given he was his face-rubbing, negative and morose self from day one…talk about someone who doesn’t get the club at all being put in charge…
He was the wrong appointment but were we fuck patient!

Yeah, because some Spurs reporter mentioned Ange and Liverpool in a story the night before.
Which was a crock of shit, obviously.
It’s too early for him. Might have been in with a shout if Klopp stayed til 2026 and Ange won a trophy and challenged til the end of season for a title. Can’t see it atm.

Back
Top Bottom