• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

agger

Status
Not open for further replies.
i still maintain Agger is our best defender against the 12-14 sides who come to Anfield and never trouble any of our defenders

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=27188.msg683477#msg683477 date=1222353170]
i still maintain Agger is our best defender against the 12-14 sides who come to Anfield and never trouble any of our defenders

[/quote]

What total, unmitigated bollocks.

So there are 12-14 sides in the league who dont cause us any defensive problems are there? Against whom we could play Alonso at centre back? Are there fuck.

The way you beat the poorer sides is by not giving them a sniff defensively, and killing them with a difference in class higher up the field. The way Agger (whom im a fan of by the way) has strolled around getting knocked off the ball/ giving it away cheaply recently is indefencible.

Carragher, in ANY situation, currently provides the defensive lynchpin around which everythin else is built.

[quote author=grjt link=topic=27188.msg683484#msg683484 date=1222353815]

[/quote]

So there are 12-14 sides in the league who dont cause us any defensive problems are there? Against whom we could play Alonso at centre back? Are there fuck.

The way you beat the poorer sides is by not giving them a sniff defensively, and killing them with a difference in class higher up the field. The way Agger (whom im a fan of by the way) has strolled around getting knocked off the ball/ giving it away cheaply recently is indefencible.

Carragher, in ANY situation, currently provides the defensive lynchpin around which everythin else is built.
[/quote]

eh?

Alonso at CB? no, Agger at centreback I said you tit. he's our best defender for dealing with Stoke, Hull, West Brom, Wigan, Pompey, Fulham, Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Blackburn when they come to Anfield

Carra or Skrtel are simply not needed against sides who lack any decent attackers

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=27188.msg683492#msg683492 date=1222354099]

[/quote]

[/quote]

eh?

Alonso at CB? no, Agger at centreback I said you tit. he's our best defender for dealing with Stoke, Hull, West Brom, Wigan, Pompey, Fulham, Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham, Sunderland, Blackburn when they come to Anfield

Carra or Skrtel are simply not needed against sides who lack any decent attackers

[/quote]

Its not hard to understand is it you fuckwit. I took your argument to its logical conclusion..... if the bottom 12-14 have nobody who can trouble us defensively why wouldnt we simply put ball players in there? Oh, because they can trouble us, regularly do, and youre talking bollocks.

So Agger is the best equipped to deal with Defoe is he? Is good enough on the ground to handle Johnson & Crouch? Has the muscle to cope with Davies, Ashton and Viduka, and the experience and know-how to manage Owen and Santa Cruz? Maybe at his best; but if you pick anyone other than Carragher as first choice to take charge in any of these situations youre a muppet. Oh..

[quote author=grjt link=topic=27188.msg683503#msg683503 date=1222354502]
[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=27188.msg683492#msg683492 date=1222354099]

[/quote]

[/quote]

eh?

[/quote]

Its not hard to understand is it you fuckwit. I took your argument to its logical conclusion..... if the bottom 12-14 have nobody who can trouble us defensively why wouldnt we simply put ball players in there? Oh, because they can trouble us, regularly do, and youre talking bollocks.

So Agger is the best equipped to deal with Defoe is he? Is good enough on the ground to handle Johnson & Crouch? Has the muscle to cope with Davies, Ashton and Viduka, and the experience and know-how to manage Owen and Santa Cruz? Maybe at his best; but if you pick anyone other than Carragher as first choice to take charge in any of these situations youre a muppet. Oh..
[/quote]

in certain situations there are times when Carra or Skrtel would be my first choice and times when Agger is

its not rocket science its commen sense that against teams that defend deep center backs with the ability to bring the ball out of defense will stretch the opposition, as the opposition seek to close down the defender moving forwards with the ball it will create more space. nothing amazing just commen sense.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg683524#msg683524 date=1222355439]
agger's passing is poor? fuck me...
[/quote]

You're making assumptions rather than watching what actually goes on out there on the pitch. It isn't a matter of opinion - Agger's passing frequently (far too frequently) goes to the opposition or astray altogether. Fact (unfortunately).

Skrtel and carra are doing fine, why bother changing it.
If theres loss of form or injury fine, but the lads in possesion of the shirt should have to lose it, not have it taken away.
Thats what weve been crying out for for 3 fucking years, so sorry Dan, wait your fucking turn.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27188.msg683575#msg683575 date=1222358625]
[/quote]

You're making assumptions rather than watching what actually goes on out there on the pitch. It isn't a matter of opinion - Agger's passing frequently (far too frequently) goes to the opposition or astray altogether. Fact (unfortunately).
[/quote]

nope just comparing agger's passing to the other center backs and he is easily the best passer of the ball. if agger is poor at passing I wont even hazard a guess as to the opinion of the other center backs ability to pass.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg683536#msg683536 date=1222355863]
its not rocket science its commen sense that against teams that defend deep center backs with the ability to bring the ball out of defense will stretch the opposition, as the opposition seek to close down the defender moving forwards with the ball it will create more space. nothing amazing just commen sense.
[/quote]

A team that defends deep are not going to give a toss about a centre-back having the ball 40 yards out.

[quote author=Boozer link=topic=27188.msg683607#msg683607 date=1222361313]
[/quote]

A team that defends deep are not going to give a toss about a centre-back having the ball 40 yards out.
[/quote]

the closer said center back gets to their goal they HAVE to engage him, creating space for the midfielders. babel's goal v derby at home is case in point, they were all behind the ball, agger moves forwards and derby got sucked towards him, arbeloa used the extra space to feed babel.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg683599#msg683599 date=1222360033]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27188.msg683575#msg683575 date=1222358625]
[/quote]

[/quote]

nope just comparing agger's passing to the other center backs and he is easily the best passer of the ball. if agger is poor at passing I wont even hazard a guess as to the opinion of the other center backs ability to pass.
[/quote]

Carra is less ambitious in his passing but rarely gives it away and Skittles' use of the ball is probably the most improved aspect of his game. Big Sami's long passing is the best of any of them, waaaaaaaay better than Agger's.

[/quote]

Is that really your best chat-up line?

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=27188.msg683695#msg683695 date=1222372735]
[/quote]

Is that really your best chat-up line?

[/quote]

did it work? you offering bunny? 😉

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg683615#msg683615 date=1222361932]
[quote author=Boozer link=topic=27188.msg683607#msg683607 date=1222361313]
[/quote]

[/quote]

the closer said center back gets to their goal they HAVE to engage him, creating space for the midfielders. babel's goal v derby at home is case in point, they were all behind the ball, agger moves forwards and derby got sucked towards him, arbeloa used the extra space to feed babel.
[/quote]

No they don't, they keep the shape and it gets even more congested in front of goal. The ~10 shots that Gerrard & Alonso had against Stoke were all 20 yards out. If Agger's pushing into that space, where do they go & who would you rather have shooting from there (abysmal though they were)?

[/quote]

Anytime I've watched him bar the 1st month or so in a red shirt his passing has been very hit and miss.

[/quote]

It is actually, it's fucking dreadful at times.

Myself and Wizardry (are two I can think of) who've been banging this drum for ages. It's one of the major reasons why he's not in the side at the moment. That and the fact that Skrtel's a better defender, but anyway.

Carra used to get slaughtered for rolling his studs over the top of the ball then launching it to Crouch, but Ageer's just as guilty. Maybe it's cos he does it with that "cultured left boot" of his or because he doesn't look as agricultural as Skrtel or Carra with the ball at his feet, but it doesn't make him any less guilty.

Really, I struggle to understand what people are actually looking at during our games sometimes.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=27188.msg683590#msg683590 date=1222359517]
Skrtel and carra are doing fine, why bother changing it.
If theres loss of form or injury fine, but the lads in possesion of the shirt should have to lose it, not have it taken away.
Thats what weve been crying out for for 3 fucking years, so sorry Dan, wait your fucking turn.
[/quote]
Scenario:

Torres is out injured, comes back and is fit for fight, but you'd still keep him benched because Kuyt had played well in his absence? No.

Agger is just a different bread of footballer than most, and we shouldn't keep our special players benched no matter how well their sub had played for X ammounts of games.

I think the reasoning for keeping Skrtl in the side is decent, as we haven't conceded a lot, but I just don't think that Skrtl/Carra offers enough on the break. Skrtl's decent with his passing alright but he almost rarely tries the unexpected as Agger does - even though he sometimes fails.

Carra is well, Carra.

Play all of them or play Carra and Agger. That's the way it should be. Our strongest line-up includes Agger.

Id agree with your analogy if the gulf between
Skrtel and Agger was as wide as the one between Torres and Deadly.
It isnt, Skrtels a cracking defender.
Scenario - Torres is injured for a year, and while hes out we sign Villa, who bangs em in for fun as we have our best start to the league in years. Do you drop him as soon as Torres is fit? No, you make players earn the shirt.
I prefer agger as a player, but i still dont advocate change, the back 2 are the least of our issues.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=27188.msg683817#msg683817 date=1222385262]
[/quote]

It is actually, it's fucking dreadful at times.

Myself and Wizardry (are two I can think of) who've been banging this drum for ages. It's one of the major reasons why he's not in the side at the moment. That and the fact that Skrtel's a better defender, but anyway.

Carra used to get slaughtered for rolling his studs over the top of the ball then launching it to Crouch, but Ageer's just as guilty. Maybe it's cos he does it with that "cultured left boot" of his or because he doesn't look as agricultural as Skrtel or Carra with the ball at his feet, but it doesn't make him any less guilty.

Really, I struggle to understand what people are actually looking at during our games sometimes. [/quote]

You've just made me wonder the excact same thing.

Agger's passinggame can certainly improve but I can assure you that was he only going to pass it along to the next man as we've seen Skrtl do for the past games he'd probably never miss a player.

He is often, and I tend to agree, maybe to often, trying the defense splitting-pass to create a chance - I'm sure though Rafa asks him too mind as he's well aware of his capability. Sami has done it so well in the past but he is quite often missing a player too when going for the long haul.

Agger's game is more than his passing though. It's his rare ability ON the ball as well. He is quite pacy and can leave several players stranded when moving forward, something you'll rarely see when he is not playing in the back four.

He's a goal-threat as well (yeah give me 'all your defender is there to defend' argument - Sami has given us 30 odd goals for crying out loud). You simply need that in todays football as well.

I'm not having a go at Skrtl. I'm only pointing out what should be obvious to most. Agger is special player, who will and already have, given us the edge in several important games.

Agger shouldn't be in the team because he is a 'goal threat'.
With a starting XI including Torres Gerrard Riera Kuyt Keane + fulbacks who can getforward, we shouldn't be relying on goals from centre halves. 5 goals a year from CH is plenty, the rest of the team should be able to provide the rest.
Agger is an excellent defender but after 12 months out, during which Carra and Skrtel have played very well together, he will just have to wait for his turn. There will be injuries and when he gets in, then he must make himself undropable.

agger is a competant passer, suggestions that he can't pass the ball are absolute fucking shite.
not backing down from that one, that's my opinion everyone elses opinion is of course their own choice.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg684053#msg684053 date=1222422818]
agger is a competant passer, suggestions that he can't pass the ball are absolute fucking shite.
not backing down from that one, that's my opinion everyone elses opinion is of course their own choice.
[/quote]

His passing is very erratic, which isn't really what you want from a ball-playing defender. If he can improve the consistency of it, great, but to ignore the fact that it's even an issue is, to coin a phrase, 'fucking shite'.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=27188.msg684064#msg684064 date=1222423843]
[/quote]

His passing is very erratic, which isn't really what you want from a ball-playing defender. If he can improve the consistency of it, great, but to ignore the fact that it's even an issue is, to coin a phrase, 'fucking shite'.
[/quote]

masherano passing is 'erratic', rarely do I find myself thinking 'oh ffs agger' in regards to cheaply squandering possession which is more than I can say for a fair few of our players.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=27188.msg684071#msg684071 date=1222424429]
[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=27188.msg684064#msg684064 date=1222423843]
[/quote]

[/quote]

masherano passing is 'erratic', rarely do I find myself thinking 'oh ffs agger' in regards to cheaply squandering possession which is more than I can say for a fair few of our players.
[/quote]

Love can be blind.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=27188.msg684076#msg684076 date=1222424876]
Look man, if EVERYONE disagrees with you.......its not them!
[/quote]

Haha..

Agger brings the ball out alot though and it does help the side, but I agree, his passing is too often shite, and I wish to God he'd cut out the attempted Hollywood passes that never come off.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=27188.msg684076#msg684076 date=1222424876]
Look man, if EVERYONE disagrees with you.......its not them!
[/quote]

in the words of tupac 'its me against the world'

😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom