• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading back, I think the points made by Ryan, Mark and one or two others about him being no good in the position he was being asked to play were spot on.
He was never a holding midfielder and spent far too long there. Alongside Mascherano with Gerrard pushed up he was fucking boss in his last year.
I'm not having that he wasn't guff for the majority of games the season and a half previous though, he was muck in the 'holding' role.
Wish we had him now. Didn't think I'd be saying that in 2008.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg1037799#msg1037799 date=1263895837]
I'm not having that he wasn't guff for the majority of games the season and a half previous though, he was muck in the 'holding' role.
[/quote]

Ha! Amazing.

Even after the side has completely fallen apart, people are still denigrating what he brought to the team even when he wasn't quite at his best. I despair at times, I really really do.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=26402.msg1037801#msg1037801 date=1263896096]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg1037799#msg1037799 date=1263895837]
[/quote]

Ha! Amazing.

Even after the side has completely fallen apart, people are still denigrating what he brought to the team even when he wasn't quite at his best. I despair at times, I really really do.
[/quote]Ok if it makes you feel better I wouldn't want hi
back if rafa were to play him where he did 2007 and 2008 because he isn't very good there.

[/quote]

Ha! Amazing.

[/quote]

Yup.

[/quote]

Ha! Amazing.

[/quote]

Pure mentalism.

I guess the present has skewed history as I suppose it always tends to.
If we were riding high and splitting teams I two the Alonso haters would be pointing to the fact we didn't need him and his last brilliant year (and pretty good first one too) would be ignored and denied. And (sadly) the opposite is true too in that struggle as we are now it's convenient to forget how rubbish he was for the middle year and a half to two years.
I accept that this wouldn't even be up for debate had he been paired with a sissoko or a mascherano the whole time. But hey ho, it is the past, he wanted to leave for whatever reason you choose to believe in, and no amount of posturing or in tact evidence is going to convince an Alonso fan that he was anything other than perfection for 5years or an Alonso hater that he did anything good at all in that time.
So I'll leave this thread alone now I think.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg1037834#msg1037834 date=1263898216]
If we were riding high and splitting teams I two the Alonso haters would be pointing to the fact we didn't need him and his last brilliant year (and pretty good first one too) would be ignored and denied. And (sadly) the opposite is true too in that struggle as we are now it's convenient to forget how rubbish he was for the middle year and a half to two years.
I accept that this wouldn't even be up for debate had he been paired with a sissoko or a mascherano the whole time. But hey ho, it is the past, he wanted to leave for whatever reason you choose to believe in, and no amount of posturing or in tact evidence is going to convince an Alonso fan that he was anything other than perfection for 5years or an Alonso hater that he did anything good at all in that time.
[/quote]

Yours was one of several embarrassing posts in this thread, with hysterical shrieking about how he should "fuck off" because he's "shit", so yes, that would be a wise move if you did leave the thread alone.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1037837#msg1037837 date=1263898523]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg1037834#msg1037834 date=1263898216]
[/quote]

Yours was one of several embarrassing posts in this thread, with hysterical shrieking about how he should "fuck off" because he's "shit", so yes, that would be a wise move if you did leave the thread alone.

[/quote]Sorry, havnt you been laughed at enough for your shameless distraction tactics with the resurection of this thread?
You take a statement from two years ago and whack it into a place where it has little relevance and no context and expect that to fly or have any creedence in a grown up conversation. Bollocks to ya.

Sorry, havnt you been laughed at enough for your shameless distraction tactics with the resurection of this thread?
You take a statement from two years ago and whack it into a place where it has little relevance and no context and expect that to fly or have any creedence in a grown up conversation. Bollocks to ya.

Distractions from what, exactly?

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1037845#msg1037845 date=1263899432]
Sorry, havnt you been laughed at enough for your shameless distraction tactics with the resurection of this thread?

Distractions from what, exactly?
[/quote]I dunno, I wasn't really paying that much attention. But summat or other..... Err.......iunno....being a dick or summat.
*skips off*

Oncey - why are you really bothering?

I think any honest Liverpool fan will tell you Xabi's 1st two seasons were very good, seasons 3-4 were average at best and season 5 was just world class. Any of us would have him back now (though again, there would be a disagreement how much his presence would have helped this collosal fuck up of a season)

Who cares to be honest ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1037848#msg1037848 date=1263899699]

I think any honest Liverpool fan will tell you Xabi's 1st two seasons were very good, seasons 3-4 were average at best and season 5 was just world class. Any of us would have him back now (though again, there would be a disagreement how much his presence would have helped this collosal fuck up of a season)

[/quote]I don't think anyone could argue that alongside mascherano in place of Lucas he would have helped tremendously this year wiz. Even grocky or rebel.
But yeah you're right, I don't care all that much, I just don't like to see history rewritten to score points, it narks me.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg1037851#msg1037851 date=1263899906]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1037848#msg1037848 date=1263899699]

[/quote]I don't think anyone could argue that alongside mascherano in place of Lucas he would have helped tremendously this year wiz. Even grocky or rebel.[/quote]

I was debating that was Neets. I just wasn't sure. Alonso wouldn't have fixed the defensive issues with our defense. He wouldn't have helped players like Riera or Torres or Gerrard stay on the pitch. He would have been better than Lucas quite obviously - but I don't know if that would have translated into a better Liverpool this year. We've just been that poor.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=26402.msg1037861#msg1037861 date=1263900474]
History isn't being rewritten Oncy.

It's just being dragged back up.
[/quote]It is quite funny that the original thread was about alonso being shit in a game and most people agreeing that he wasn't performing/was shit/should go/get dropped etc. And that thread THAT thread is now being used as evidence that he was in fact second only to sliced bread.
It's a puzzler and no mistake.
I do know that most people are aware of the facts though.

But what's the guarantee he would've played so well this season? Alonso admitted the barry thing made him want to leave. Perhaps his performances were to make sure a solid side came in for him? If he was to stay, would his performances picked up? I would like to think so, however it is not a guarantee

Suppose the World Cup looming in the summer would have ensured he is on the top of him game. It is obvious we missed Alonso at the start of the season, many presumed it would only take a matter of time before we we're saying Alonso who? When this didn't happen and since we started poorly we clung to the hope that Aqualani would be our saviour. Lucas took all the blame (harshly) for a while as he wasn't Xabi Alosno. In my opinion, Alonso could control our midfield and orchestrate our play, get it to Gerrard quickly and keep a quick tempo to our play if needed. Many think I over exaggerated his roll back them and probably think I'm doing it again, but I stand by my claims that Alonso made us tick.

However many have said already that what is done is done. He is gone, so no point rehashing old threads to remind us of the fact we miss him.

...and no amount of posturing or in tact evidence is going to convince an Alonso fan that he was anything other than perfection for 5years or an Alonso hater that he did anything good at all in that time.

[/quote]

Spot on. Excellent post.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1037791#msg1037791 date=1263894701]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=26402.msg1037561#msg1037561 date=1263853741]
[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=26402.msg1037553#msg1037553 date=1263853336]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=26402.msg1037547#msg1037547 date=1263853155]
[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=26402.msg1037540#msg1037540 date=1263852952]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=26402.msg1037537#msg1037537 date=1263852842]
Pffft, it goes like this from time to time, mostly when one (or both as is the case right now) of us is bored.
[/quote]

I know, but I love both you guys and hate to see you argue. Without blood being drawn.
[/quote]

Schucks Ness, that's sweet. Right back at you.

Speaking of which, I thought sure I saw Bren's name last night on the credits for a BBC program. Bren - Do you work for the Beeb?
[/quote]

LOL
[/quote]

I should probably have put that in a PM now I think about it.
[/quote]

Oh, is he a key grip or best boy? Yeah, I've googled him too. Even though I know he isn't me.
[/quote]

He's a 'gripboy' for a *lot* of stuff according to IMDB.

It'd be fun if it was you though, what with all the gags we could make out of 'gripboy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom