• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Assistant Managers: what do they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
As inchoate a concept and role though it seems, do you think there's a reliable way to evaluate how particular ones are doing,or is it all based on blind faith? We only tend to rate them after they've gone, when, a la Patrice Bergues and Pako, their absence seems to trigger a decline, but otherwise does it remain a mystery? Sammy Lee had a good reputation as a coach but no one was sure what his contribution was once he'd assumed that role. Steve Clarke also had a great reputation as a coach but tended to be ignored when things went wrong but praised when things went right under Dalglish, with only speculation to justify either response. Hodgson, in stark contrast, had an assistant in Mike Kelly who took a month or so to turn up at the club and even then made the Invisible Man seem ostentatious. Now Colin Pascoe is here and, with Rodgers known as someone who takes control on the training pitch, I'm none the wiser what his assistant actually does. A sounding board? A friendly face? I just wonder, that's all, because everyone else seems to be under the spotlight these days but this position appears more mysterious than ever.

Doesn't it depend on the manager? I was under the impression that at some clubs (like utd) that the assistants run the place, and are responsible for training, organising the other coaches, and even tactical presentations, whereas the manager may just pick the team, prepare tactics, sign players, and give overall direction.

Yes, I assume it's as pliable and inscrutable as the absurd 'Deputy Prime Minister' role. But it just seems a bit odd in these obsessively analytical days that someone at a club on a hefty salary might be anything from a Phil Neal 'Yes, Boss!' waste of space to the brains behind the scenes, and no one really knows. Take Pako, for example: we knew he made players run a lot up a hill and was very popular at the club, but it was only in retrospect, as Rafa gradually grew flakier and flakier, that we came to realise how crucial Pako had been. It would be good to know what we've got, good or bad, while they're still here. Maybe Pascoe is a brilliant advisor, but if he isn't it's a pity the club didn't insist on bringing in someone who was at least passionate about the club like they did with Thommo when Houllier was here.

wenger.jpg

Some of them seem to use the bench as a toilet.

Ha ha! That's fantastic! I love the look on his face, that nonchalant '...And no one's the wiser' look!

He looks like one of those fancy dresses where one bloke is on another's shoulders, under the same coat. Some bloke's face will pop out by his belly button in a minute.

There will never be any clarification of the role an assistant manager plays. Even when an assistant leaves and a manager experiences a slump there is still an element of guesswork as to what effect the change in staff had on the players. Everyone assumes Pako had a massive positive influence but there is still a certain amount of guesswork in determining that conclusion.

I assume people came to similar conclusions about Clough and Taylor, but Clough alcoholism could have played as much a part as Taylor departure.

Off topic I know, but Wenger looks such a cunt in that coat. Fucking hate him.

wenger.jpg

He looks as though his parents have ordered him to stand out in the cold while they sit inside in the warmth watching the Criterion-restored DVD of Les Enfants du Paradis on their flash new telly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom