• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aston Villa (A) 26th Dec, boxing day footy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good to see Badger tits come on a little more advanced than the Fabs position. He could be ultra aggressive and press relentessly without risking the back line so much.

Delighted for him with the goal.

Can someone explain to me what has changed regarding players who get treatment. Early in the game, Mings gets injured and the trainers come on...but he doesn't go to the sidelines before being allowed back on the field...he just stays on the field for the resulting corner. Then, second half, Bailey gets injured, trainers come on, and he has to go to the sidelines before being allowed back on....is it something to do with the position that you play , or what...as I can see that's how it is for keepers.

BBC

There may not have been a goal for Nunez to celebrate at Villa Park but the Uruguayan demonstrated flashes of the promise that convinced Liverpool to pay big money to sign him from Benfica in the summer.
There is certainly no doubt that he should have added to his tally of nine goals in 20 games for Liverpool here - and on another occasion such misses could prove costly.
The tenacious 23-year-old ended the match with the highest expected goals value of any player (1.15 xG) after landing four of his six shots on target - five of which were taken inside the penalty area.
But his 12 touches inside the opposition box - also a match-leading figure - hinted at his broader influence and his unpredictable movements caused huge issues for the Villa defence throughout.
Perhaps the clearest demonstration of his importance arrived in the build-up to Liverpool's third. Inside the final 10 minutes, Nunez refused to give up the chase and beat the ball to the byeline to allow Bajcetic to all but seal the three points and avoid a potentially awkward finish.

Thiago was poor - has been for a while - surely his starting position is under threat. It’s his passing that concerns me the most, he’s always been average at tackling and closing down.

Nunez - he just does my head in, in the same way Cisse did - he has the tools - pace, strength, physical strength, skill - but he’s so inconsistent with his touch, his timing and his finishing.

As usual, we made it more difficult than we needed too, but an important 3 points with Spurs dropping 2.

Can someone explain to me what has changed regarding players who get treatment. Early in the game, Mings gets injured and the trainers come on...but he doesn't go to the sidelines before being allowed back on the field...he just stays on the field for the resulting corner. Then, second half, Bailey gets injured, trainers come on, and he has to go to the sidelines before being allowed back on....is it something to do with the position that you play , or what...as I can see that's how it is for keepers.
I was nonplussed by the Mings thing. Only thing I can think of was the ball was out of play when he asked for treatment … but that shouldn’t matter?

BBC

There may not have been a goal for Nunez to celebrate at Villa Park but the Uruguayan demonstrated flashes of the promise that convinced Liverpool to pay big money to sign him from Benfica in the summer.
There is certainly no doubt that he should have added to his tally of nine goals in 20 games for Liverpool here - and on another occasion such misses could prove costly.
The tenacious 23-year-old ended the match with the highest expected goals value of any player (1.15 xG) after landing four of his six shots on target - five of which were taken inside the penalty area.
But his 12 touches inside the opposition box - also a match-leading figure - hinted at his broader influence and his unpredictable movements caused huge issues for the Villa defence throughout.
Perhaps the clearest demonstration of his importance arrived in the build-up to Liverpool's third. Inside the final 10 minutes, Nunez refused to give up the chase and beat the ball to the byeline to allow Bajcetic to all but seal the three points and avoid a potentially awkward finish.
You're not playing ball. Nunez is meant to be bobbins.

Nah he wasn't that much. Lack of involvement and was totally AWOL when we were under pressure (though I blame Klopp for the Villa goal as he was way too late with the subs after 15 mins of constant Villa pressure, they were clearly going to score).

He was solid in the 1st half - the team was under the cosh for most of his time on the pitch in the 2nd half, and as you write - and I agree - this is where Klopp should have moved quicker to change the game in our favor.

It's crazy how many chances we give up in a game. A lot of hope was pinned on the WC break giving us some time to sort things out but on this evidence nothing is getting sorted out till we have a proper reshuffle in the summer.

The midfield got completely bypassed. It was just one or two passes and they were running through our godawful high line. Fark nailed it yet again - there is just zero athleticism, tenacity or aggression. Bellingham alone would not sort this out for us.

Don’t have to go off if two players from the same team go down together. Jose used to exploit it at Chelsea and instruct Terry to go down with Cahill to relieve pressure. Weird rule.

Lovely 3 points in a tough game. Was always going to be difficult after a 6 week break. Most important thing was winning.
Some encouraging parts of the game and for once the subs improved us. Gave away more chances than we should have, so that needs to improve.

The lovely smooth Viking Christmas balls are jiggeling on.

Leicester could well beat us if we give Vardy and co that many chances.

Laughable the hate Nunez gets. He was our best player and for so long we complained our attack was one dimensional and too predictable.

It’s anything but now. I love Nunez, he’s got so many attributes you love to see. Sure he needs to improve his finishing but name a striker that doesn’t? Even when Salah is banging in 30 goals a year people complain he misses too many.

That's true. Compared to Firmino up front it's night and day – instead of dragging the defenders forward, he causes them to stay back and they still cannot keep up with him. Salah and whoever can play in the half-spaces for us should be big beneficiaries of this.

Has to be said that his teammates have played some delicious through-balls for him today and against City. Even Gomez played a beautiful one. They are really starting to find him in the right areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom