• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benitez to face FA charge and transfer block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlerider

Throbbing Member
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=668601&sec=england&cc=5739

Rafael Benitez has already endured a miserable start to the season but things could be about to get much worse.

The Liverpool boss could in trouble with the Football Association for his outburst against referee Phil Dowd following the Anfield club's 2-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday.

The news comes amid speculation that Liverpool's American owners are refusing to release funds for the Spaniard to buy new players.

The FA's compliance department will write to Benitez for an explanation following his comment about Dowd when asked after the game whether he would expect to get two penalties as an away team.

Benitez is reported as saying: "No, with this referee I knew that was impossible.''

The FA are also concerned with Benitez's attempts at humour when asked about two penalty decisions that went against Liverpool in the final minutes.

Benitez had been furious that a push on Andriy Voronin by Benoit Assou-Ekotto had gone unpunished, as had a handling incident when a cross hit the same player on the arm as Liverpool were battling for an equaliser.

In the post-match press conference, Benitez had theatrically taken a glasses case out of his inside pocket, taken out the glasses and looked through them before putting them away again.

The implication was seemingly that Dowd either needed glasses or had not seen the incidents.

Assistant boss Sammy Lee was sent off by Dowd after the coach had been involved in a row with the fourth official.

It is believed that the FA are not prepared to quiz Benitez further on his suggestions that 26-year-old Stuart Attwell was too young to officiate at Premier League level.

It is also being reported that Tom Hicks and George Gillett are blocking Benitez's attempts to buy a centre-back to ease the club's injury problems before the transfer window shuts.

And the situation could well escalate into yet another financial crisis at Anfield.

Benitez's diminishing transfer budget is overshadowing Anfield's opening league game of the season on Wednesday against Stoke, who achieved a goalless draw on Merseyside last season.

Benitez was today asked several times at his pre-match media conference to explain his cash-flow problems, but on each occasion he said: "I do not want to discuss money.''

But sources close to the Spanish coach confirm he has held talks with temporary managing director Christian Purslow, appointed by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in the wake of Rick Parry's summer departure, and now the go-between for Benitez and the American owners.

Benitez has explained the pressing need for another centre-back to be signed, with Daniel Agger now out for another three weeks with a worrying back problem.

Martin Skrtel is doubtful to face Stoke following the jaw injury he sustained in Sunday's defeat at Spurs, although he did train today. Benitez will not make a decision on whether to risk the Slovakian until closer to kick-off.

With Sami Hyypia now having left the club on a free transfer, Benitez is left with youngster Daniel Ayala to partner Jamie Carragher, who has recovered from the head injury sustained at White Hart Lane that needed stitches.

But it is Benitez's transfer budget, or the lack of it, that is causing serious problems at the club. The source said: "The figures have changed since Rafa signed his contract. He has sold several players and raised a lot of money, but is not being allowed to spend it.''

There is a belief among fans the club's owners have soaked up much of the money Benitez has generated this summer to pay off the £60m they were instructed to find by the banks to reduce their debt, ahead of the re-financing package for the loans they took out to buy the club.

Financial experts in the USA predicted last month the owners would use player sales to raise the £60m they need, and fans now fear that is what is happening.

Benitez insists he is not prepared to gamble £6m-plus on Stoke's former Manchester United defender Ryan Shawcross, when he has comparable youngsters on the staff at Anfield who deserve a chance.

But Benitez is believed to want to buy Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta, and is not being allowed the cash to do so.

The key problem is that Benitez was promised £20m for his transfer kitty when he signed his new contract last season, and told he could have any money he raised in the market, plus the fee received when Robbie Keane returned to Spurs.

Benitez has raised around £40million from the sales of Xabi Alonso, Alvaro Arbeloa, Sebastien Leto, Paul Anderson, Jack Hobbs and Adam Hammill. His buys have been Glen Johnson from Portsmouth and Alberto Aquilani from Roma. The cash up front for those two is under £20m.

But it is clear that in the last few weeks the financial dynamics of Benitez's kitty has changed. The owners seem to be insisting the money spent on new contracts for Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Agger and Dirk Kuyt as well as several of Benitez's backroom team, must come out of the transfer budget.

This stand-off is doing nothing to calm concerns at Anfield following the nature of Liverpool's defeat at Spurs, where the paucity of his squad depth was obvious. Now Liverpool must overcome Tony Pulis' physical, organised Stoke to get their season back on track.

Benitez said: "We know the problems from last season in facing Stoke. But our home fans will want us to show our quality. We must play well, keep possession and be positive to make our chances. Stoke's manager is clever, he uses his players well and they are physical and well organised.

"But the future of our club depends on showing the quality we have in our squad. I do not want to discuss my transfer budget. But our scouting department is continuing to work hard to find the players that we need.''

This is just speculative I know, but I wonder how much impact the goings on at Old Trafford have had on G&H's thinking?

They've sold Ronaldo but have openly said that there won't be any more spending and it's fairly obvious that the money recouped from the Ronaldo sale will at least partly be used to offset their debts. I wonder if Gillet and Hicks have seen what's going on there and acted accordingly.

At least their owners are the balls to say spending was finished.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=35311.msg927308#msg927308 date=1250615895]
[/quote]

And Im still convinced they will splash some cash, whereas we dont have a bean

I think United have finished.

Even they were surprised they had to sign that kid to stop him going elsewhere this summer - they almost had to explain themselves.

I could be wrong but I don't think we'll see anyone arrive at Old Trafford. Chelsea's a different story...

I doubt very much that you're wrong about ManUre. Ferguson must know he hasn't gone even halfway towards replacing Brylcreem Boy (or even Tevez as a bench player), and I doubt he'd have left things as they now are if he'd had more to spend. They'll still be well in the mix this season though, worse luck.

[/quote]

And their manager has the guts to get on with the job without making excuses

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927471#msg927471 date=1250632056]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fucking hell Rosco.

I take it you're going to be continuing with your needless digs at Rafa again then this season.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on Ross, Rafa has in no way used the current percieved lack of funds as an excuse.

Yet!

[/quote]

[/quote]

If it is even partially true that Rafa was told he had one budget at the beginning of the summer, and then subsequent to spending part of it, was then told he had another, it's not a comparable situation. Any manager would be rightly pissed off with that situation. It isn't an excuse.

we sell warnock for a couple fo mil, and buy dossena for 8. we get babel for 10 or 11, and sell hammill for a few hundred thousand. its arguable that those transfers have left us with a shitter squad, and millions and millions of pounds worse off. rafa can have no argument, he should have made better use of the money he did have because now he has a problem

I'd imagine Fergie is rightly pissed off with what's happened at United, has he moaned about it ?

No they went on a bit on a PR offensive to give the impression they were being restrained in a silly market - "Not signing players over 26" etc

Rafa always goes straight for the panic button. He has been in charge for more than five years and signed 53 players for more than 220m at this stage. If we don't have a squad that can be relied upon it's his fault entirely.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927488#msg927488 date=1250634287]
I'd imagine Fergie is rightly pissed off with what's happened at United, has he moaned about it ?

No they went on a bit on a PR offensive to give the impression they were being restrained in a silly market - "Not signing players over 26" etc

Rafa always goes straight for the panic button. He has been in charge for more than five years and signed 53 players for more than 220m at this stage. If we don't have a squad that can be relied upon it's his fault entirely.
[/quote]

Fergie isn't in the same situation if these stories are to be believed. If Fergie blew his transfer budget on a RB, without knowing he was spending the entire amount, he'd blow a gasket.

It's one thing to be given a disappointing budget, it's another to hit a spending limit without knowing it.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927496#msg927496 date=1250634828]
Is there any evidence that is actually the case ?
[/quote]

No, and there's no evidence that Rafa has blown a gasket, but you accept that is inevitable. Both appear to make sense, but even if Rafa says it happened, you could argue it's an incorrect characterization of events that serves his interests. We don't have the full facts of the matter, and we never will. The standard of proof you require will never be met, so what's the point?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927488#msg927488 date=1250634287]

[/quote]

I don't think it's unreasonable for Rafa to assume that he'd be backed in the transfer market following a second place finish and our highest ever Premiership points total, particularly if he'd been given assurances before he signed his contract, and particularly given that he'd just received a princely sum for one of our most important players. This year was quite possibly our best chance to capitalize and yet we have a minus net spend and are down our best midfielder.

I do think you have a point about Benitez making pre-emptive excuses, but I think in this instance he could be forgiven for feeling a little hard done by.

i think rafa's been hard done by and most times i can't stand him.

although the mess is of his making, last seasons transfers and failed transfers have cost us big time this season.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927482#msg927482 date=1250633286]
Where do you think the stories about our lack of funds are coming from ?
[/quote]

I'm with Rosco on this one actually.

Benitez is leaking the stories, and Barrett at the Times (who apparently he's close to) is the one receiving them.

Benitez uses the media like every other manager does in Spain. It's how things have always been done. I know it's not great from our perspective, but it's wrong to keep implying it's Benitez's uniquely devious nature. With these idiot owners it's probably the only way any manager will get anything done.

As for the FA charge story: I'll be intrigued to see how swiftly they snap into action when Ginsoak starts his usual moans and groans.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35311.msg927517#msg927517 date=1250640758]
[/quote]

Benitez is leaking the stories, and Barrett at the Times (who apparently he's close to) is the one receiving them.
[/quote]

I saw someone mention that we should change the words to YNWA, can't remember who said it but they have a point.

"When you walk through a storm, whinge about it for a while, blame Parry blame the Yanks"

Not very catchy, but you get the point

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927631#msg927631 date=1250671740]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw someone mention that we should change the words to YNWA, can't remember who said it but they have a point.

"When you walk through a storm, whinge about it for a while, blame Parry blame the Yanks"

[/quote]

You know I've often agreed over this, especially when Rafa has used it as a tactic to divert blame, but communication seems non-existent so what other tactic can he use when they're on the other side of the Atlantic (apparently) telling him he's got less than £2m to spend, despite raising money through sales?

There are times when the press need to be used in this way.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Babel should do a rap version.

Obviously we do not know the real, or at least full story yet, and I have always been one of those who says that Benitez should really shut up and get on with the job and that his transfer funds would have looked a lot better had he not wasted them.

However, if this story is correct then I can see his point. There seems very few other options that he has. It does remain to be seen whether it will do any good at all though. If the money is not there, the money is not there.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927641#msg927641 date=1250672271]
He could do what he's telling Torres to do.

Man up and get on with it
[/quote]

There are times when he should, yeah. I kind of like his defiance on this though, he's right, we should be spending money. Hicks has just sold one enterprise yet is still using what profit we've made in sales towards clearing debts.

This Summer was pivotal to our progress, in a position of strength we should be ensuring we edge ahead of our flagging competitors.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think this "whinge about it for a while, blame Parry blame the Yanks" part is to ensure that he won't "walk through a storm" alone..

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=35311.msg927643#msg927643 date=1250672438]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35311.msg927641#msg927641 date=1250672271]
He could do what he's telling Torres to do.

Man up and get on with it
[/quote]

There are times when he should, yeah. I kind of like his defiance on this though, he's right, we should be spending money. Hicks has just sold one enterprise yet is still using what profit we've made in sales towards clearing debts.

This Summer was pivotal to our progress, in a position of strength we should be ensuring we edge ahead of our flagging competitors.
[/quote]
Maybe they don't think winning the championship is a priority..

Whatever.. They own the club, they're not fans.. How much money do we get from winning it? 25 million pounds more than coming second or third?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom