• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Brighton (H) - Sun 14:00

Aha, so if we finish on the same point tally as Arsenal or Man C or both, that helps us how?

Of course we need to start games better, but we also create an incredible amount of chances. Was just watching ESPN and they said that we had 30 shots?!
Is it completely unreasonable for me to ask for less wastefulness from our forwards?
Go read the top goal scorer thread. Great post in there highlighting the reason we are where we are is down to out incredible attack.
Yes I think it unreasonable considering we are top of the league and average 3 goals a game.

Go read the top goal scorer thread. Great post in there highlighting the reason we are where we are is down to out incredible attack.
Yes I think it unreasonable considering we are top of the league and average 3 goals a game.
Well it's different now, since Arsenal went on their little scoring run.

Our last 3 league games:

0-1 Forest
1-1 City
2-1 Brighton

Is it too much to ask for a 3-0 or 4-0 against Sheff U?

Well it's different now, since Arsenal went on their little scoring run.

Our last 3 league games:

0-1 Forest
1-1 City
2-1 Brighton

Is it too much to ask for a 3-0 or 4-0 against Sheff U?
Depends on the game. I’d take 1-0 right now.

Reactions: dee
Aha, so if we finish on the same point tally as Arsenal or Man C or both, that helps us how?

Of course we need to start games better, but we also create an incredible amount of chances. Was just watching ESPN and they said that we had 30 shots?!
Is it completely unreasonable for me to ask for less wastefulness from our forwards?
8 on target.
I think it’s more important to just get points. Just enjoy ths ride a bit more, this is Klopps last season and possibly same for a few of the senior players after all.

If we are making chances continually then it feels secondary surely being after being behind in the 2nd minute. I was annoyed a lot more against united because we didn’t have enough shots on target and how wasteful were in the final third.

8 on target.
I think it’s more important to just get points. Just enjoy ths ride a bit more, this is Klopps last season and possibly same for a few of the senior players after all.

If we are making chances continually then it feels secondary surely being after being behind in the 2nd minute. I was annoyed a lot more against united because we didn’t have enough shots on target and how wasteful were in the final third.
Yep and I was annoyed against City when Diaz should have scored 2.
Everyone is saying that we're being wasteful. It's not the same as saying that we're crap.
What they're saying, actually what I'm saying is that we're too good to miss so many chances based on the amount we create.

Depends 100% upon which forward you're criticizing, and which poster is replying to you... Some are utterly infallible, and others are utterly unredeemable. Anybody who cannot acknowledge that Mo HAS scored some important goals this season whilst ALSO being clearly not the player that he was a 2 or 3 years ago, just cannot be reasoned with.

Today, all but two things he touched turned to shit... Now, one of those two things was the winning goal, so the inevitable "Told you so" started. But, he IS clearly declining, that cut back & aim for the top corner NEVER works anymore, no matter how often the commentators pretend it still does, and his speed is no longer a factor in keeping defenders honest with him.

He is still scoring tons of goals, but he's also very often the reason our attacks break down. We DO go through him far too often (a la Stevie G, as somebody mentioned earlier), and, though of course we'd miss his 25 odd goals if we did sell him, you'll never convince me that THIS Salah is not far more replaceable than many claim. The others did fine without him, and the money we'd get could be put to very good use elsewhere.

Today's game was a perfect example of what he's become this season, the good and the bad...

Depends 100% upon which forward you're criticizing, and which poster is replying to you... Some are utterly infallible, and others are utterly unredeemable. Anybody who cannot acknowledge that Mo HAS scored some important goals this season whilst ALSO being clearly not the player that he was a 2 or 3 years ago, just cannot be reasoned with.

Today, all but two things he touched turned to shit... Now, one of those two things was the winning goal, so the inevitable "Told you so" started. But, he IS clearly declining, that cut back & aim for the top corner NEVER works anymore, no matter how often the commentators pretend it still does, and his speed is no longer a factor in keeping defenders honest with him.

He is still scoring tons of goals, but he's also very often the reason our attacks break down. We DO go through him far too often (a la Stevie G, as somebody mentioned earlier), and, though of course we'd miss his 25 odd goals if we did sell him, you'll never convince me that THIS Salah is not far more replaceable than many claim. The others did fine without him, and the money we'd get could be put to very good use elsewhere.

Today's game was a perfect example of what he's become this season, the good and the bad...

Excellent post.

I have no clue why while we are right in middle of a title race and have just been installed as favourites, people are somehow discussing about replacing Mo.

What?
It’s always the same lot of posters.
As if the original argument was ever about whether this Mo being less than Mo we brought is something to even argue with, ofcourse it’s a fact but then is he our best foward? Ofcourse he is and that’s fact.
The issue with everything through him? Well we have to ask why WC winning CM was keen to hit Mo with his terrific passing range and again, MOTD2 had a great highlight reel on it. It’s obvious same posters on here would just go on about Mo and sellng him for 100m as if he was just another player just for the sake of being right except problem are the stats, and those damn stats pointing towards this being his second best season.
Thanks for the goals, memories and trophies but would you just fuck off to Saudi now…

It’s always the same lot of posters.
As if the original argument was ever about whether this Mo being less than Mo we brought is something to even argue with, ofcourse it’s a fact but then is he our best foward? Ofcourse he is and that’s fact.
The issue with everything through him? Well we have to ask why WC winning CM was keen to hit Mo with his terrific passing range and again, MOTD2 had a great highlight reel on it. It’s obvious same posters on here would just go on about Mo and sellng him for 100m as if he was just another player just for the sake of being right except problem are the stats, and those damn stats pointing towards this being his second best season.
Thanks for the goals, memories and trophies but would you just fuck off to Saudi now…
See, that's exactly the problem, right there... He's so untouchable to you that you pretend anybody who doesn't feel the same wants him to "just fuck off to Saudi now". So silly. It's not about being right, it's about what's best for the team, and if somebody is stupid enough to offer us 150m+ for THIS Mo, as long as we're guaranteed to be able to spend it all on new players, we'd be idiots to not take it.

We replaced Keegan and survived. We replaced the King and survived. We even replaced Rushie and survived. We'll miss Mo if / when he goes, but we'll survive, like we did all the other legends.

See, that's exactly the problem, right there... He's so untouchable to you that you pretend anybody who doesn't feel the same wants him to "just fuck off to Saudi now". So silly. It's not about being right, it's about what's best for the team, and if somebody is stupid enough to offer us 150m+ for THIS Mo, as long as we're guaranteed to be able to spend it all on new players, we'd be idiots to not take it.

We replaced Keegan and survived. We replaced the King and survived. We even replaced Rushie and survived. We'll miss Mo if / when he goes, but we'll survive, like we did all the other legends.
All well and good. Alot of the discussion on this particular match thread is about his performance on the day, against Brighton, and that he can do alot better but he ultimately won us the game.

Nothing about replacing him; he is here till the end of the season at least whether you like it or not. If you still feel so strongly that this is a discussion that needs to be done today, there is a Mo/Saudi thread available.

All well and good. Alot of the discussion on this particular match thread is about his performance on the day, against Brighton, and that he can do alot better but he ultimately won us the game.

Nothing about replacing him; he is here till the end of the season at least whether you like it or not. If you still feel so strongly that this is a discussion that needs to be done today, there is a Mo/Saudi thread available.
Surely you can see that BOTH are true..? He was mostly shite today, AND he scored the winner. I mean, that's just a fact.

See this the problem with your assumption. He isn’t beyond reproach for me so probably missed all that before you decided jump in head first.
I have been balanced in my criticsm while it feels like yours is about point scoring and rather one sided.
No one is going to offer 150m for a 32yr old Mo, have you seen the Saudi market lately?
Why are you so desperate to sell Mo?
I’m confident we would replace him but just assuming it will happen immediately is not always the case. We haven’t replaced Mane and didn’t initially replace Suarez or Sterling for e.g. it’s not given we will effectively and is it not smarter choice to bring in a right sided player to bed in for a season?
Let’s have some balance.

Last edited:
See this the problem with your assumption. He isn’t beyond reproach for me so probably missed all that before you decided jump in head first.
I have been balanced in my criticsm while it feels like yours is about point scoring and rather one sided.
No one is going to offer 150m for a 32yr old Mo, have you seen the Saudi market lately?
Why are you so desperate to sell Mo?
I’m confident we would replace him but just assuming it will happen immediately is not always the case. We haven’t replaced Mane and didn’t initially replace Suarez or Sterling for e.g. it’s not given we will effectively and is it not smarter choice to bring in a right sided player to bed in for a season?
Let’s have some balance.
One sided?!?!? My last post was literally that BOTH arguments about him are true... And I was going based upon your continued retorts to the more-than-justified critique of his overall performance today, in this thread.

I'm not desperate to sell him... Where do I say that? But I think it's foolish to say that anybody is unsellable, regardless of price or situation (not saying that you said that, necessarily, but others have). The right price for him could see us bolster three or four positions on the pitch, and with Jota, Darwin and Diaz playing in front of that midfield, we don't need an immediate direct replacement.

I love how the only thing Salah did well today was secure us 3 pts and send us top.

Forget the fact he won the header that set up the equaliser after being heavily involved in the build up play that won the corner.

Forget the fact he’s superb off the ball moment and ability to find pockets space like nobody else in our team gave him two half chances that he missed the target with like most would.

Forget the fact he set up Dom for one of his shots from outside the area but drawing players to him and creating space like only Salah can. Defenders are drawn to him because he’s our biggest threat. Funny that.

His movement at the back post again was superb for Diaz’s cross that was a fraction too high to be converted.

Forget the fact his movement for Nunez’s shot in the second half meant he was waiting for a tap in that never came.

Forget the sublime pass he played to Diaz who was a ball hair offside.

Forget his effort that was brilliantly saved in the last minute too.

Of course he made some poor decisions in the match and his execution of a number of shots wasn’t there today but fuck me this narrative that he only did two things well all game is fucking laughable.

He’s fucking miles ahead of the rest of our attackers and the main reason we are in with a shout of winning the league.

We mentioned during the match how one-sided we looked - and this may have a lot to do with why Nunez was quiet. We need more balance I think (despite Mac being MotM but Mo had 12 shots which maybe, maybe we would have scored more had it been spread about more :

Screenshot-2024-04-01-at-12-51-49.png

Yeah.. I'm not in the Salah was shit category. Frustrating yes..

But to be in the position to have 12 shots does not indicate he's off form to me.

For me when we talk about Salah's drop-off (which is true in terms of pace, trickery and ability to beat a defender and maybe, maybe, finishing) we also have to include the other aspects of his game that have elevated both him and us as a team, his assists (9 - 1 behind 1st in the PL) and ridiculously good 'critical passes'.

It's probably wrong to consider Mo in isolation and instead think of our forward line as a coordinated unit. In that respect there is no question - I don't know the situation now ( @King Binny ?) but a few weeks ago we were the top scorers in Europe, not just the PL (Arsenal have 3 more now in the PL but I don't know how it stands over all matches). That is not a misfiring front line no matter how much we complain about individual deficiencies.

The quad of Mo, Jota, Nunez and Diaz is working brilliantly. Though there is ALWAYS room for improvement (and for me it's on breakways where we always used to be clinical and now seem to mess it up every single time - better coaching in player movement required here).

What happens in the Summer is a huge and complicated question affected by many moving parts. A massive bid for Mo. has to be considered but even that would depend on other players staying (VvD) and new manager plans. If no top players are sold then I think this squad could go big again next season (assuming 2-3 very good players coming in) and I'd take that over continuing the impressive revamp to date, we could easily postpone that a year or two (retiring VvD, Mo, Ali etc).

Last edited:
I think Nunez was out crowded. Brighton generally do not put a great effort into defending out wide and trust Dunk and the keeper to deal with balls into the box. They stay compact around the penalty box and the numbers around him gave Nunez little opportunity to shine. The space was there for Salah and Diaz in ways it wasn't for Nunez. He did have that decent drive through the middle but only when Brighton were chasing an equaliser and his only real shot I can remember came from the LW position. You can maybe argue he should have drifted wider more, but Diaz was looking sharp on the left, which Nunez generally favours.

As for Salah, much of his general play was frustrating, but the numbers speak for themselves. He kept going and got a winner, which we're starting to take for granted and that pass to Diaz was sublime.

He’s allowed to be both wasteful AND make important contributions. He had the opportunities to be getting 4+ G/A in that game, and it shouldn’t have been so nerve wracking at the end.

The wastefulness of our attack has turned games we should win with ease into draws. But equally some special moments from the same attack have turned draws/defeats into wins.

Some people on here can’t handle proper debate. Thinking about when I dared to suggest Macca isn’t a DM and should be played further forward. I got unlimited pelters from two particular posters and it looked to have been quite a legimitate suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom