• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

City post match

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was The Twelth Man mate

DTgeuLBX4AIdIgP.jpg

Cheers Mark, and Dahuge.

[article]* Perhaps the most telling aspect is that no City player excelled. Kevin de Bruyne was the only man who attempted to take on Liverpool, but even he could not change the course of the game. They may have scored three goals, but this was a deserved defeat.

Not even Raheem Sterling could express himself at his former home. The winger has been incredible this season, but he was the question to which Andrew Robertson had the answer each and every time. The Scot made a match-leading seven tackles and seven clearances each.

Alberto Moreno would have offered more going forward – Robertson did not have a shot nor create a chance – but he struck the sort of balance that the Spaniard struggles with. Defence was more important than attack on this occasion, and this was an incredible defensive performance from Robertson. Liverpool finally have a proper left-back.[/article]

[article]* There is a need for instant gratification in football. A constantly changing sport demands progress, or at least signs of it, with each game. New managers can be written off after two or three poor results, even if performances are positive. They immediately face an uphill battle to overcome an often unfair reputation.

For new signings, this effect is exacerbated. There are countless examples of players moving clubs and initially struggling and being dismissed as terrible business mere months after their arrival. This overlooks the very human difficulties of moving house, adapting to new managers and teammates, and uprooting families.

This site and this writer was guilty of deriding Liverpool’s signing of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The point remains true that £35million would have been better spent on a porous defence than on a forward player with 12 months left on his contract, but the England international has more than proved his worth in different surroundings.

The 24-year-old made his Liverpool debut in the 5-0 reverse at the Etihad Stadium in September, Klopp’s second-half sacrificial lamb when the Reds were one man and two goals down. His previous game was the 4-0 defeat to Liverpool while playing for Arsenal in August. It was this kind of record which left his reputation at its lowest ebb.
So the character Oxlade-Chamberlain has displayed to not only recover but to produce the best football of his career has been astounding. His first-half strike was wonderful – the drive from midfield leading to the sublime finish – and his versatility is proving invaluable.

Oxlade-Chamberlain joined Liverpool on August 31, yet only four players have made more appearances this season. He deserves every plaudit for turning things around.[/article]

[article]* “I was in certain habits and certain things became second nature to me and in football it is all about instinct,” Oxlade-Chamberlain said earlier this week, explaining the difference between Klopp and Arsene Wenger. At Arsenal, the 24-year-old picks up possession 40 yards out and recycles it with a short pass. At Liverpool, he acts on “instinct” and scores a fine goal.

It is a damning indictment of Wenger’s coaching. In six seasons at Arsenal, Oxlade-Chamberlain never scored more than two Premier League goals. This was his third of the campaign, and there are four months remaining. His progress in north London was negligible, the player falling into “certain habits”. Impulse is a remarkably useful trait in a player if harnessed properly; Wenger saw it not as a strength, but as a weakness to coach out of him.

No player created more chances (3). No Liverpool player completed more dribbles (5). No Liverpool player had more touches (67). Wenger had all the ingredients at his disposal, but Klopp seems to have found the recipe.[/article]

[article]* After 15 minutes of back and forth, the game suddenly sprung into life once more after the break. Oxlade-Chamberlain turned provider as Liverpool took the lead.
“He’s probably the most underestimated player in world football,” said Klopp of Roberto Firmino back in August, and the Brazilian once again proved his worth. His finish left Ederson with no chance, and his performance, that of the selfless, hard-working striker, is difficult not to juxtapose with Sergio Aguero’s awkward, nondescript display. How Guardiola must hope that Gabriel Jesus can emulate his compatriot.

Firmino had three fewer shots than Mohamed Salah, but his job is to facilitate others. He created chances, made tackles, led the press from the front and set the tone throughout. Only four players have more Premier League goals this season, and those who once implored Liverpool to sign a ‘proper striker’ are conspicuous by their silence.[/article]

For more, click on Footy365's 16 conclusions.

Of the seven managers who have faced Pep Guardiola in 10+ matches just one has a winning head-to-head (W-D-L) record:

José Mourinho: 4-6-10
Joaquín Caparrós: 0-3-10
Mauricio Pochettino: 2-4-6
Jürgen Klopp: 6-1-5
Arsène Wenger: 3-3-6
Manuel Pellegrini: 2-1-8
Unai Emery: 0-4-6

I was worried that the crowd might not bring their 'A Game', after all the negativity we've had recently with the Coutinho sale. Also it was clear Naby couldn't come early, we had got a replacement for Coutinho and the fans seems full of doubters pre match.

Luckily I was wrong and the crowd realised that this was a huge game, we've still got an incredible team without Coutinho & I thought the atmosphere was brilliant. The fans really were the 12th man.

I didn't like it how Lovren was starting over Klavan. I think Klavan the last 6 weeks has been our best CB (not including VVD who has only played one game). He's made no errors, been consistent & quietly impressive for a fair while now. I think he should have started ahead of Matip & Lovren on form. To be on the bench behind both, I didn't agree with & I still don't think it was the right call to be honest. Having watched Lovren's defending at times, I stand by that! But luckily, we still managed to do the job - just!

You could go through out most of the team and offer praise really. I think Gomez, Karius & Lovren made some errors which were punished. But that is not to say Gomez & Lovren didn't do lots of good things within the game. Just people will remember the errors for defenders (& GKs).

The pressing was so clever. But to do it time and time again, is pretty special. To press effectively, it really is a collective effort and that's after a result of lots of training. Now we can see why Ox didn't just come straight into the team when he signed. It takes time to get that cohesion. I really wouldn't single out any of our players with the pressing - collectively it was immense.

That constant pressure and clever positioning - forced City into error which we punished. Some of the times it looked like City's errors were unforced and they probably were in isolation. But it was a result of constant pressure & it builds up which creates doubt & panic in the oppositions minds.

Not going to single players out as I think apart from the three which I mentioned, who made some errors - the rest were all brilliant & as I've said the others made important contributions themselves within the game.

I saw this on twitter & I think it really shows how tough we are to play against, as our formation is very fluid. The opposition are constantly having to cope with a different formation, with the subtle changes we make and our players can merely make a slight adjustment to our formation, which gives problems to the opposition, as that effects who their players have to mark and do they change their shape to adjust as a result.

02a295e4f9f27a4d32a17ac00bfe0844.jpg

All the pressure of our pressing & subtle changes to the formation, just led to panic & mistakes. Which ultimately won us the game as we're good enough to punish those errors and could have had more goals.

To think we've got Van Dijk & Keita to enhance this side over in the future. Potentially others too & I still consider Clyne our best RB defensively, so that's another upgrade I feel we have within our squad when he finally gets fit (assuming the rumours aren't true). It's exciting times and I really don't care about Coutinho going, as I don't think I've ever been so confident in our recruitment team as much as I do now:

fa71c9f5d96faab745738a73d4e41ed7.png

We're only going to get stronger & if we keep buying as well as we have done. In addition to Keita / VVD etc enhancing the current side. I see no reason to be anything but positive going forwards.

Brilliant game, ace result & another example of why we don't need Coutinho - not that we needed it given we've won plenty of games without him & we'll continue to do so.

07ba4e0b71a36883031d472beb435eb7.png

Our form doesn't lie:

d2b2f5710321b8bef42e0ddd1d33064c.png

This wasn't a 'one off' performance. We're getting better all the time & I think others are beginning to really fear this LFC team.

From that list of games and the draws in particular.

Seville was just a flop letting in 3 second half goals.
Chelsea I still think it was a cross gone wrong
Everton harsh pen
W Brom I think this one we did have an off game
Arsenal just let ourselves down defensively again

We would have picked up a few wins from those if we had a more comfortable and stronger defense

From that list of games and the draws in particular.

Seville was just a flop letting in 3 second half goals.

Robertson instead of Moreno in that 2nd half could have gone a long way in getting the win in that game. Given Moreno was at fault for their first two goals.

That's probably harsh criticism of Moreno, as all players have bad games & I thought he was overall really good prior to his injury this season.

But Robertson vs Everton & City has been two of the best left back performances I've seen in a long time for us. If he keeps up that level, it is an upgrade.

Love this guy:

So much to learn as a young coach from his tactical approach. We're lucky to have a manager like him. It's hard enough competing for top players without winning anything in yonks, but his personality alone will attract top players.

After the Spurs humiliation, the knives were out, but he told us all not to panic and he was right. We've been brilliant since. I'm looking forward to seeing how we go about dismantling Spurs, as we owe them too.

They'll be a bit more prepared than City and they do have the legs/power in Dembele/Wanyama to match Wini/Can, but it's an evening ko, and This is Anfield!

City would have equalled our unbeaten streak from the 80s if they drew yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom