• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Comolli Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can't can't blame the yanks as the signings of the last three transfer windows totally fly in the face of moneyball but you do have to wonder why kenny wasn't removed as well and I think the only reason for that is the semi final.

Kenny wasn't removed because FSG believes in continuty. They didn't want to see Roy gone in the first place, and throwing Kenny would leave our club in turmoils. Tehy don't know their football, and they certainly will not use Ian Ayre to start brining in managers. Int heir eyes they have thrown away the GM role, and porbably is Kenny the coach working with the material he has at his disposal. To throw Kenny at this stage would be ridicoulous, and they are not ridicoulous. If something they have shown to act when needed, and now they move on.

Kenny wasn't removed because FSG believes in continuty. They didn't want to see Roy gone in the first place, and throwing Kenny would leave our club in turmoils. Tehy don't know their football, and they certainly will not use Ian Ayre to start brining in managers. Int heir eyes they have thrown away the GM role, and porbably is Kenny the coach working with the material he has at his disposal. To throw Kenny at this stage would be ridicoulous, and they are not ridicoulous. If something they have shown to act when needed, and now they move on.

I think nothing short of a cup win and strong league finish will save kenny. they will be search for a new DOF, its not a stretch to suggest they'll be at least sounding out some managers as well.

That's good

Right?

He never was one of my taste, but he has got the experience, the dutch connection and he is extremelly detasiled in his work. my dislike for him was from the Barca period. he didn't get anything out of a very good Barca team, and I assume that is why Cruyff has a thorn in his side as well.

I rememeber watching them back then and they were 3-0 down with around 10-12 minutes left of the game. When he was ready for a sub he draw 3-4 pages of instruction giving to the sub.... At the time I was thinking that if this guy were talented enough to change a 0-3 result in 10 minutes by following a book of instructions he should probably have started the game :cool:

he's a good coach but is he a good scout?

that were you do a mistake. If you believe Comolli was sacked because he was not a good scout, you are so wrong. Comolli was the Director of football. he has a huge budget to hire te scouts he needs to keep updated, but he also needs to call the right shots. He need to be a ruthless business man creating 1,2 dollars for every dollars he spend. And to be fair, a 39 year old with limited connections in the football world is not the right man for this job.

Again, being Kenny's advocate, does no one think he asked for a specific type of player, then DC gave him a list of playerd based on stats he thought would fit the bill?

Also, is it not possible that fees were entirely dcs remit as dof so Kenny just started out of it entirely?

A journo last night from France claimed all the above is true having worked with him before at spurs.saying that his role at Liverpool was more advanced, collating scouting reports, making suggestions, then negotiating fees.

It explains why he's carried the can too

I want to say it's the measure of a man to take all the blame onto yourself when the man whose job description is chief scout is sacked. kenny could easily have put the blame on comolli and absolved himself of all blame with regards to signings. top footballer, top man.

Reactions: Y1
I must say I didn't like the line 'we have the finances to compete with any team' as I think that's bullshit.

It depends on how you view it.

If you think it means that we can outbid anyone we want then it is bullshit. But if you think it means our resources are such that a league win is possible if we get it right, then it's not.

One would assume he'd know plenty of good scouts.

true enough.

I would have loved to have been a fly spider on the wall when FSG were listing the signings they thought flew in the face of moneyball and what comolli (and to a lesser extent kenny) offered up as a defense.

It depends on how you view it.

If you think it means that we can outbid anyone we want then it is bullshit. But if you think it means our resources are such that a league win is possible if we get it right, then it's not.

surely it means what it means, 'we have the finances to compete with any team' when clearly we don't hence the reason we're building a stadium.

I wish someone would invent a way for me to punch you via the internet

you can come out witty comebacks if you like but currently there are teams that have more financial muscle that us, that's a fact. the way to level the playing field is by earning more week to week.
FSG coming out with comments like ''we have the finances to compete with any team' simply isn't true so why say it.

you can come out witty comebacks if you like but currently there are teams that have more financial muscle that us, that's a fact. the way to level the playing field is by earning more week to week.
FSG coming out with comments like ''we have the finances to compete with any team' simply isn't true so why say it.

Someone believes that if you buy smart and develope good talent from within you can compete. A footballer doesnt get twice as good if you pay 35 mill instead of 17,5 mill for him. And I believe that there clearly is a situation out there were overpaying is more the rule than actually investing smart. Do Newcastle have the finances to compete with Chelsea and City? Do Copenhagen have the finances to compete with United and Barcelona? Do Porto and Bilbao have the finances to compete with City and United?

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the players we've gone for in terms of them adding to the squad, but we've spent money on them as though they were the cream of Europe. We should have been spending about £20m to boost the squad and then the rest on top talent. The amounts spent were just ridiculous.

What he actually said is we have the "resources" to compete with anyone, which you have wrongly interpreted as "finances". "Resources" is a much broader term, and therefore much more open to interpretation.

So basically, you're shouting at a straw man.

And we're one of the richest clubs in the world.

Anyways, as you guys will know as well as anyone I'm fairly shit at both spotting talent and predicting who will work well together in a side, which i think more than qualifies me for this roll. If i apply can i put you lot down for references?

I imagine the meeting went something like

JH: Maxi was brilliant again, why doesn't he play every week?
DC: Well, we think Stu Dow is better
JH: GUARDS, SEIZE HIM

And we're one of the richest clubs in the world.

Anyways, as you guys will know as well as anyone I'm fairly shit at both spotting talent and predicting who will work well together in a side, which i think more than qualifies me for this roll. If i apply can i put you lot down for references?
You are becoming more lizard like every day Krump.
It is turning into "Invasion of the body snatchers" round these parts

I imagine the meeting went something like

JH: Maxi was brilliant again, why doesn't he play every week?
DC: Well, we think Stu Dow is better
JH: GUARDS, SEIZE HIM

it is quite clear that Stu offers a lot that Maxi doesn't. He is british, even English international!! He can play and cross from both sides, which we clearly have lacked for decades. He is capable of taking a shot from distance. Lots of stuff. All maxi can give the team is keeping the ball and score goals! Who the hell needs that?

Excellent, I'm half way there. I just need to waltz into office catching flies with my tongue and I'm in.

Anyways, I'm glad he's been scapegoated but if we get a heavyweight of world football in as a new DoF I would expect he might have his own ideas for the who should manage the side.

Someone like Andy Townsend or Trevor Francis sitting upstairs would probably shake things up.

okay, I read the article again and tom actually says 'I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football.'
a little different from 'finances' which would suggest we have as much spending power as say barca.

it is quite clear that Stu offers a lot that Maxi doesn't. He is british, even English international!! He can play and cross from both sides, which we clearly have lacked for decades. He is capable of taking a shot from distance. Lots of stuff. All maxi can give the team is keeping the ball and score goals! Who the hell needs that?

Now that's a tall order.

Maxi's a conundrum, he scores goals so surely he should always be in the side? However he goes completely missing the rest of the time, and it's not like he's a consistent goal threat, he'll just pop out of no where and score a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom