• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Comolli Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie, I don't think Damian is wearing any clothes.
Shut up Jamie, you only can't see them if you're a dickhead.

I imagine the meeting went something like

JH: Maxi was brilliant again, why doesn't he play every week?
DC: Well, we think Stu Dow is better
JH: GUARDS, SEIZE HIM
I think its because they found out comollis clip of stu kicking a ball into a bin was CGI. He had to go after that.

Quote from: Juan Loco on Yesterday at 05:27:41 PM
Ruthless say some, reckless says I.

Whilst people are lining up to praise them for ruthlessly dismissing Comolli for last summer, they’re missing the wood from the trees. The idea that the DoF is perhaps the most long-term role at the football club, and also that it was recklessness on their part initially to hire Comolli in that role through sheer nepotism.

I’ll be repeating myself a fair bit here, so I’ll just quote what I wrote about the situation last weekend:

My concern was given a bit of credence this morning when I had an email off someone who had been told by a pretty sound journo that Comolli’s appointment was basically suggested by Billy Beane, a baseball man, but a close friend of Comolli’s.

So here we have a couple of businessmen who think of themselves as the Thinking Men of sports business. Their first move after getting in the door is to give the most powerful, all-encompassing role at the football club to a friend of a friend on the recommendation of someone they admire in baseball. Oh yeah, we’re really moving forward and innovating.

It’s arguably a stupider call than Hicks & Gillet using Klinsman as a ‘football consultant’. Arguably that’s exactly what FSG needed. They needed someone who could help them out as they went along, safe in the knowledge that if they were undermining anyone it was a short-term manager who was deeply unpopular with the fans. The total opposite of H&G with Rafa.

But no, FSG with their self-appointed images of being both innovators and gamblers jumped straight in, appointing Damien Comolli to the role of Director of Football Strategy (and then ultimately Director of Football).

As I say, this is an organisation that expects us to grant them time and patience with decisions like the protracted firing of Hodgson, the search for an MD and the non-movement on the stadium front. How can they ask for patience, and expect us to trust they’re carrying out a full and proper search through the best candidates, when they give the role with the most power on the footballing side of things to Comolli on a whim.

This isn’t about the job Damien Comolli did. I happen to think he did alright and that long-term his signings will look better than they currently do. But that’s long-term. Whether you think Comolli pissed money up the wall this summer or not, I think you’ve got to say it is rash to give someone such a long-term role and then sack them so quickly for disappointing.

My point isn’t necessarily about Comolli though – I think he did ok, but I also don’t see what made him the stand-out candidate for the job in the first place, other than he was the only one. That’s kind of the crux of this. Whether you think Comolli was good or bad, the question should be why he got the job in the first place.

There’s plenty on here now praising their vision and their strategy for correcting their mistake so quickly, but once again they seem to have made the decision with no consultation from someone with experience in football, which is what got them into the mess in the first place.

Personally I think a Director of Football is essential at a club our size. I think a coach has to earn that level of power through success, which is what Ferguson and Wenger have done. A club shouldn’t be modeled on the whim of an individual whose job expectancy is usually two years (or at Liverpool probably close to 4-5 in the last 20 years).

You need someone to ensure that the vision remains consistent and unaltered. You need a support system to ensure the manager can do his job with people working around him. It’s about giving Kenny a platform that allows him to do his job. You don’t just give him that platform in name only and then hang him out to dry as has happened countless times this season, specifically with the Suarez case but on other issues as well.

You don’t necessarily call it a Director of Football, because that title carries a certain stigma in this country for some reason. It’s too foreign to swallow perhaps. You have someone in position to carry through that long-term strategy though. If you want Kenny to use more of the kids from the academy you have someone who says that to the press, who says that there isn’t immediate pressure if the results go wrong. You don’t have people giving us a target at the start of the season whilst simultaneously querying why we’re not seeing 5 or 6 home grown teenagers a week (ok, slight hyperbole, but you see what I’m getting at).

I could rant on this a while, but I’m arsed. I’m being asked to place faith in a long-term strategy where people are employed through nepotism, and now we’re being asked to hold faith while they correct that ‘mistake’, with another decision on a whim with seemingly no advice behind it from someone of a football background. We’ll see.

taken from RAWK​

I'd like to think that there are some substance to the appearance of David Dein watching us in the last two matches. Begs the question to do we really need Cruyff/van Gaal to vastly improve and revamp whatever is necessary?

Everyone knew that was part of the reason Comolli was hired. And I wasnt aware Henry and Comolli were family

@stephen1martin
Cruyff's accepted a deal in principle.

@stephen1martin
All i was told is that he's accepted a deal in principle but that there's still a long way to go due to his ties. No idea what that means.

again, cruyff obviously one of the best players ever but if he the right person to oversea the next generation of liverpool players?

again, cruyff obviously one of the best players ever but if he the right person to oversea the next generation of liverpool players?

He definately stands for the best football out there, and if he can implement those ideas into our club I would be over the moon...

as an aside, who was better? kenny or cruyff?

You can't compare. Cruyff ruled on the international scene, Dalglish was a club monsterplayer. I will call it a draw, and leave the manmythlegends alone as those discussion allways end up with what their faults was.!

We're talking about more than that I believe. The DOF is also to oversee the development and continuation of the club's footballing culture. The idea is that whoever the manager, the DOF ensures the club's footballing philosophy doesn't change. That there is an identifiable 'Liverpool way'. Well, that was the spiel whenever Commoli came in anyhoo.

I want to say it's the measure of a man to take all the blame onto yourself when the man whose job description is chief scout is sacked. kenny could easily have put the blame on comolli and absolved himself of all blame with regards to signings. top footballer, top man.
The chief scout got sacked as well?

Anyways, I'm glad he's been scapegoated but if we get a heavyweight of world football in as a new DoF I would expect he might have his own ideas for the who should manage the side.

Someone like Andy Townsend or Trevor Francis sitting upstairs would probably shake things up.

carlton palmer would be my choice . He's the reason why in my late 20s i still wanted to be a footballer ...fuck if he could be then so could any of us .

my problem with the likes of Cruyff or van gaal is i would have serious doubts over how much they would be up for the job . They're both fricky dicky moody dutch fucks who aren't probably up for the fight and would easily walk away when the going gets tough as they know with their reps they'll walk into another job no problem . I doubt either would stay longer than a season or two , especially cruyff .

my problem with the likes of Cruyff or van gaal is i would have serious doubts over how much they would be up for the job . They're both fricky dicky moody dutch fucks who aren't probably up for the fight and would easily walk away when the going gets tough as they know with their reps they'll walk into another job no problem . I doubt either would stay longer than a season or two , especially cruyff .

Isn't there someone on SCM who has their tagline as a quote from Cruyff about Liverpool/YNWA, or something along those lines?

PHOTO_13253838_173471_29980184_ap.jpg

Van Gaal is boss. I've admired him ever since he won the CL with Ajax 95. I remember it like yesterday.
I've always wanted him to manage Liverpool, but I think it's too late for him now.

Cruyff is currently involved with and committed to Chivas in Mexico and Ajax, can't see him leaving either project for LFC.

I just want someone who is good at the job to be honest. I don't really care what his name is or where he comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom