• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dietmar Hamann aims for the top again – with or without MK Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Squiggles

"Coach, player, model, tour guide. I hope the chairman hears about all this." In the grand tradition of the career overseas footballer Dietmar Hamann has the kind of accent that can range promiscuously from Liverpudlian to native Bavarian in the course of a single sentence. Posing for pictures in front of the vast empty banks of seating at Stadium MK, home of the club he now serves as player-coach, he slips automatically into scouse when the time comes to crack a joke or two. Hamann, 37, is five months into his career at MK Dons, his fourth English club, or fifth if you count a single day at Bolton before having a change of heart in June 2006.

While the cynic, or the Wimbledon FC loyalist, may point out that vast empty banks of seating would be a fair enough description of the Stadium MK experience at three o'clock today when Hamann takes to the pitch for the visit of fellow League One mid-tablers Dagenham & Redbridge, this is still a club that throbs with upwardly mobile ambition. Hamann is the third high-end former Premier League player to pass through in the past two years. Paul Ince and Roberto di Matteo both went on to coach in the top flight.

Hamann, currently in the process of completing his coaching badges, is open about his own ambitions. "One day I want to manage a football club," he says. "I need to get more experience. But one day I would like to take over and manage somewhere."

For now he is enjoying his role as part of a triumvirate of coaches working under Karl Robinson, at 30 the youngest manager in the Football League. In many ways Robinson's mix-and-match backroom staff of Hamann, the former England assistant coach John Gorman and former Scotland player Alex Rae fits in neatly at what still feels a club-in-progress. Stadium MK is still oddly indistinguishable in texture from the Ikea megastore with which it shares a plot, its main entrance reminiscent of the marketing suite of a rather swish new suburban residential development. "The chairman [Pete Winkelman] has got a vision of how he wants things to be," Hamann says. "This is an up-and-coming club. He's got a project. I'm part of that and we all want to make it successful long-term and see this club in the Premier League one day."

This is not just lip service. For all the murkiness of the Dons' genesis out of the relocated corpse of their parent club, Wimbledon, surely no club in the country courts its community more energetically. The entire site gurgles coaching groups, tours and community projects (while I'm waiting for Hamann a blind man in a replica shirt wanders into reception behind his guide dog and deadpans: "I hear you're looking for a new striker").

If Hamann is sold on the pioneering MK spirit, this is still a man whose heart will always belong to Liverpool, the club he left in 2006 after seven successful seasons. "Every time I go back it feels like going home," he says. "It will always be my favourite club and the club where I feel I belong."

The Champions League victory in Istanbul remains a career high point, a match in which Hamann's introduction at half-time coincided with Liverpool clawing back a three-goal deficit. He scored Liverpool's first penalty in the shoot-out with what was later diagnosed as a broken right foot ("we'd already made our changes so I didn't even really think about it"). Like any fan he has watched with dismay the ongoing boardroom shemozzle.

"It has been really painful. The new stadium hasn't been built and all the things the owners have promised they haven't produced. It's just a really bad time for the fans because the team has struggled over the last 15 months and it felt like the owners didn't have any interest in the club bar financial interests. But hopefully with this new owner he's saying all the right things, so fingers crossed."

Hamann's loyalty springs in part from his status as a member of the first generation of footballing imports to have spent almost all of their active careers in England. Originally from the small Bavarian town of Waldsassen, he joined Bayern Munich as a junior and made his first-team debut aged 20 while still on an amateur contract with the club. During these early years at Bayern he was groomed by Giovanni Trapattoni who, Hamann says, "more or less taught me the game, how to play and what to do, how to play in midfield. He was a really major figure for me."

After playing for Germany at the 1998 World Cup, Hamann had a single season at Newcastle before moving to Liverpool for £8m, where he would win two FA Cups, the Champions League, Uefa Cup and League Cup. Most of this success came under Gérard Houllier, another major influence on his own coaching ambitions. "I spoke to Gérard only last week. It is really good to see him back with Aston Villa. Villa have a very talented squad and as manager he is just what they need to get the most out of those players.

"He [Houllier] is definitely underrated in this country. People talk about the players he bought who didn't perform at Liverpool but he also bought Sami Hyppia for £2.5m and built a team in 12 months that was capable of winning trophies. He used to be a teacher, so he's very good at communicating with people and creating team spirit. You saw that in how many finals we played and won even when we were under the cosh for a lot of the time. We won the Champions League after he left and so many of the players were his signings. He deserves credit for the team he left behind."

Medal hauls aside, it was during his time at Liverpool that Hamann also found himself assimilated by the domestic football culture. "I do feel English as a footballer. I've spent most of my career here, so I know a lot more about the English game now than I do about the German game. Fifteen-year-old kids in Germany don't know who I am. The only ones stopping me in the street are grandfathers and grandmothers."

Hamann played 62 times for Germany during an international career that spanned both the low point of the early 2000s and the start of the current German renaissance, something Hamann puts down to the amount of money spent on player academies since 2004. He is fairly magnanimous regarding Germany's thrashing of England in the first knockout stage of the World Cup in South Africa.

"It's not all bad in England but I just think they've stuck with the same players for too long. Why didn't Adam Johnson go to the World Cup? If you look at the team, they're all very good players but they've been to a few tournaments now and didn't perform, so I was a bit disappointed with the players Fabio Capello took. He stuck to the old guard."

As part of a youthful coaching set-up at an ersatz football club that has its gaze set firmly on promotion to the Championship this season, Hamann is perhaps right to take a punk-ish approach to the notion of an old guard. And with or without the Dons, it is hard to imagine he will not be back, stalking the touchline in one capacity or another, at an even higher level before long.

I love Didi. He could get a free kick whenever he wanted! And a dedicated smoker as well. :-*

Him and Carragher would be my future managerial dream team, providing they're actually good at it.

What a lovely idea it is.

Great player and a top man into the bargain. I was delighted when he started working with our youth players, I was sorry to see him go and I'd love it if we could get him back. He's the kind of individual, as well as the kind of professional, that it would be good to have around Anfield whenever, but particularly at a time like this.

I keep hoping one day I might bump into Didi.

Not that I'd know what to say like, I'll prolly just make a fool of myself, but it'd be good

Hmmm, professionalism? One of my fave players, but he likes a drink, smoke and gamble rather too much.

Top managers don't tend to do much of that; they're 14 hours a day football obssessives; Benitez, Baconface, Wenger, Mourinho. Their life is football. They can make decisions removed from emotion

Didi's - to his credit in some ways - doesn't seem like that at all, which is why I wonder about his suitability for management.

All of that is true, but Didi did manage to separate the smokes etc.from the football side of his life enough to satisfy a football nut and control freak like Rafa. Fair point about whether the manager's job would suit him, but IMO he'll make an excellent coach and mentor, in which latter capacity his balanced outlook and sheer good sense will stand him (and any players he takes under his wing) in good stead.

Did smoked heavily, drunk, gambled, lay in the middle of roads to stop a taxi, yet is still a million times more the 'professional' than our current lot.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42200.msg1192164#msg1192164 date=1286653522]
Did smoked heavily, drunk, gambled, lay in the middle of roads to stop a taxi, yet is still a million times more the 'professional' than our current lot.
[/quote]

Quite - do you're talking on the pitch.

Poulsen could save me from a burning building, and I'd still call him a useless fucking cunt.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=42200.msg1192218#msg1192218 date=1286675969]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=42200.msg1192164#msg1192164 date=1286653522]
[/quote]

Quite - do you're talking on the pitch.

Poulsen could save me from a burning building, and I'd still call him a useless fucking cunt.
[/quote]

I laughed at that one. Poulsen is crap, but he's honest - he knows it. Let the manager take the fall on that one.

Ah Didi was a club man to the end. Honest, humble, loyal - and reliable on the field, but obviously knew how to have fun off it without being obnoxious: For obnoxious reference see J. Pennant, and many other footballers

[quote author=Modokay link=topic=42200.msg1192226#msg1192226 date=1286678696]
Dalglish manager
Hamann assistant

Wouldn't say no to that.
[/quote]

You're making me Dream. Hyppia as third in command.

What are the chances of these ex-Reds being involved with us in the future?

Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler will join MK Dons as a coach in mid-February.

The 35-year-old will not be available until then because he is playing for Australian side Perth Glory.

Dons manager Karl Robinson knows Fowler from his time as an academy coach with the Reds.

Robinson told BBC Look East: "When his season finishes he'll be over on a regular basis working with the forwards as part of my coaching team."

Fowler scored 230 goals across 15 years in English football, playing for Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester City, Cardiff and Blackburn Rovers and worked briefly with the Dons squad in May.

Robinson, who is five years younger than Fowler, put his Liverpool connection to good use in pre-season by persuading Dietmar Hamann to become a player-coach.

And with the recent departure of first-team coach Alex Rae to become Paul Ince's assistant at Notts County, the German has taken on extra responsibility.

"Didi's really stepped up to the mark, sometimes when people move on and people move forward you don't realise how much quality they have in them," Robinson said.

"He's a very good coach and if can pass a small amount of his experience on to these young players then it will only enhance the team."

Hamann's always seemed a top bloke. Hope he'll enjoy loads of success.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=42200.msg1220859#msg1220859 date=1290169924]
Everyone loves Didi
[/quote]

Wonder if zlatan likes him

I love Didi as a player and as a person too. I love how his accent ranges from scouse to German at any moment.

I loved his ability to win petty free's (the didi crumble) and his ability to read the game. Oh and throw in the odd screamer. I love his volley against Pompey I think.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=42200.msg1220865#msg1220865 date=1290170733]
I love Didi as a player and as a person too. I love how his accent ranges from scouse to German at any moment.

I loved his ability to win petty free's (the didi crumble) and his ability to read the game. Oh and throw in the odd screamer. I love his volley against Pompey I think.
[/quote]

Top class player, I remember when almost everyone was complaining about how costly he was when we originally signed him, and now he is remember as an absolute bargain.

[size=3pt]His freekicks were infuriating though.[/size]

[quote author=Portly link=topic=42200.msg1191945#msg1191945 date=1286612008]
I love Didi. He could get a free kick whenever he wanted! And a dedicated smoker as well. :-*
[/quote]

Love the Hamann-fall!

i wonder if didi's involuntary blinking is an unfortunate side-effect of houllier's washing machine eyes.

Leicester City is pleased to announce the appointment of Dietmar Hamann as first team coach.

Hamann joins the club from League One side MK Dons where he has been working as player-coach and has made 13 first team appearances this season.

'Didi' played under Foxes boss, Sven-Goran Eriksson, at Manchester City and comes into replace Chris Powell, who left his role as first team coach last month to take over as Charlton Athletic manager.

City manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, is delighted with the latest addition to his coaching staff.

"Didi is an extremely experienced footballer. He has played at the very highest level of the game and was always an influential presence on the pitch and a great communicator, and that will help him in his new role.

"I believe that Didi has the potential to be an excellent coach and I am sure our players will soon see the benefit of having him on the training pitch. He is a top class professional and I am looking forward to working with him again."

SWINDON Town are no closer to naming their new manager after the club’s board spent over four hours locked in talks yesterday, discussing a three-man shortlist.

Interim chairman Jeremy Wray and chief executive Nick Watkins spent all of last week interviewing eight candidates after receiving over 20 applicants for the position since former boss Paul Hart left the club towards the end of last month.

The Advertiser believes that George Burley, Dietmar Hamann and Paolo Di Canio are the three being discussed by the board, while fans’ favourite Paul Bodin and Torquay United boss Paul Buckle are no longer in the running.

Town’s directors had hoped to make an appointment today but after talks failed to come to a conclusion, fans will now have to wait until at least tomorrow to discover who is chosen to mastermind an immediate promotion back to League One.

One issue that could potentially be a stumbling block is compensation, which would be necessary in the case of Hamann as the German is currently first team coach at Leicester City.

Giovanni Trappatoni recognised Hamann’s distinct midfield ability and gave him an extended run in 1996/97. In a position in the middle of a formation that became a frequent and flourishing pattern of play – Hamann’s presence allowed the mercurial Mario Basler to take centre stage and wreak havoc on opposing rearguards.

It was King Kenny that gave Didi his Premiership breakthrough – signing him for Newcastle for £5.5 million. Gerard Houllier followed suit by shelling out £8 million to lure Didi from St James' Park to Anfield in 1999.

At Anfield, the midfield general became the steadying influence, the right presence for the likes of Gerrard to embark on free spirited midfield rampages.

Didi played for Germany from 1997 to 2006. He joined Man City revolution in 2006 and stayed for three years. In 2010 he become player coach at MK Dons and joined Leicester City as first-team coach under Sven-Göran Eriksson in 2011.

There was also talk that Didi would join Dalglish’s backroom staff. A model of Teutonic efficiency, Didi will learn well from Sven and his next step as always will be a measured one. It seems he is assured a long managerial career. After all Didi has a dream – to manage Liverpool one day.

Didi Hamann has resigned as manager of Stockport County.

17th in Blue Square BET Premier

3 wins 10 draws 6 defeats

4 points off 3rd from bottom

Didi Hamann statement 7/11/2011

"Following a meeting this morning between Lord Snape and myself I have tendered my resignation as manager of Stockport County.

Having been introduced to the Club by Tony Evans, I presumed that the takeover by him and his consortium would have taken place. Various promises were made to me at the time of my appointment which subsequently did not take place. I feel therefore unable to continue in post.

I wish to thank the Club and its supporters for their encouragement and commitment over the past few months and wish Stockport County well for the future"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom