• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Fulham (a) - EFL Semi Second Leg - Weds 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Here we go, 90 minutes to get us to Wembley again.

With the luxury of having lower opposition in the FA Cup, we can go full strength and I think we'll look to do that with early subs used in case of the need to save legs. Those we need to rest can sit out the FA Cup game (particularly Jones, Jota, Konate, Mac Allister IMO)

Kelleher

Bradley
Konate
Virgil
Gomez

Mac Allister
Jones
Elliot (I think he deserves a start again against his old team)

Diaz
Jota
Nunez

I think Gakpo is playing well off the bench, and we should use him again in this regard. It sounds like Szobo might make the bench here too. Fulham are now without Bassey who has been (IMO) their best CB this season.

Agree with the team. Jones might be rested though given the sub last night. Hopefully Szobo can play.

I think Jones is injured and will miss the game, no chance we'll risk him.
Elliott has started two games in a row and hasn't impressed unfortunately (I'm being nice) but if Jones is injured we have no other option, unless Szobo is back.
Gakpo has to start, I think Jota will sit, he looked completely knackered at the end of the game.
Konate injured his foot, didn't look serious but I wouldn't be surprised if Quansah replaces him.

My line up:

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Van Dijk
Gomez

Macca
Szobo/Harvey
Gravy

Gakkers
Diaz
Nunez

Kelleher Gomez Konate Quansah Beck Mac Grav Harvey Jota Nunez Gakpo

A draw here would do me just fine :)

Wembleyyyyyy, Wembleyyyyyyyy.....We're the famous reds and werrrrr going Wembley.

I'd probably rotate a bit more. There's some good players in need of minutes and Jota and Jones could with protecting. I wouldn't pick Quansah next to Bradley, so Konate to start instead of VVD. Kelleher will sadly start ahead of Allison, too.

-----Nunez -------Gakpo--------Diaz
----------------Grav - - - - - - Elliot
--------------------------Mac
Gomez---Quansah - - - Konate - - - Bradley
------------------------Allison---

Kelleher plays for sure.

At the back I’d go :
Bradley - Quansah - Virgil - Gomez

Midfield :
Harvey - Mac Allister - Gravvy

Forwards :
Diaz - Jota - Nunez

I’d start Quansah, Beck, Clark & Gakpo against Norwich with maybe Trent, Robbo & Slobbers getting on for some minutes in the second half - then those 3 might be ready to start against Chelsea.

I’m all for playing Bradley in both cup games - he’s young and he can cope - he’ll get some bench time thereafter.

I think we’re being a little disingenuous to Harvey - like most players he needs a couple of games to get his match firm up - I think his work rate, particularly in pressing, is outstanding - I wonder if he’s told not to hold back because he’s coming off early , in the same way he can go full pelt when he comes on in the second half - this is all about how we use it plan to use our subs.

On Harvey, he has been disappointing, but he's fit and should get a run in these next two cup games too. This will allow Szobo to return for the league and be fully recovered.

If we don’t rotate we’ll lose someone to injury.

We have to even if it means losing out on Wembley.

If we don’t rotate we’ll lose someone to injury.

We have to even if it means losing out on Wembley.

I don't really get the logic. We have had a long break before the Bournemouth game, and we have a perfect game to rotate at the weekend. In the league cup we have 90 mins to get to Wembley. In the FA cup there is 360 minutes (excluding replays). In this day and age they carry no weight over each other, except in some people's minds.

I'd guarantee Wembley through the Fulham game rather than risk that one in order to prioritise the Norwich game (which you appear to be advocating).

After the Norwich game there are two games 4 days apart (Chelsea then Arsenal), and after that we have a whole midweek off before we then get into the Europa League knock outs taking up our midweeks.

So surely the right way to rotate/rest is:

Fulham (EFL Semi) - full strength
Norwich (Fa Cup 4th Round) - rotate
Chelsea - full strength
Arsenal - full strength
NO MIDWEEK FIXTURE
Burnley - full strength
Europa - rotate
Brentford - full strength

I don't really get the logic. We have had a long break before the Bournemouth game, and we have a perfect game to rotate at the weekend. In the league cup we have 90 mins to get to Wembley. In the FA cup there is 360 minutes (excluding replays). In this day and age they carry no weight over each other, except in some people's minds.

I'd guarantee Wembley through the Fulham game rather than risk that one in order to prioritise the Norwich game (which you appear to be advocating).

After the Norwich game there are two games 4 days apart (Chelsea then Arsenal), and after that we have a whole midweek off before we then get into the Europa League knock outs taking up our midweeks.

So surely the right way to rotate/rest is:

Fulham (EFL Semi) - full strength
Norwich (Fa Cup 4th Round) - rotate
Chelsea - full strength
Arsenal - full strength
NO MIDWEEK FIXTURE
Burnley - full strength
Europa - rotate
Brentford - full strength
I agree with you but some of our players looked really tired after the game and some got injured, like Jones and Konate.
It can't be full strength anyway you look at it. It'll be a strong team though and yes Klopp will probably rest most of our best players against Norwich.

You don't rest players in the 2nd leg of a semi final, that's just insane. There's plenty of time for them to rest. We can play a lot weaker team against norwich and still win. Within a month we will have trent, szobo, robbo, thiago, bajcetic, salah and endo(clutching with bajcetic and thiago) back so will have plenty of opportunities to rotate and rest players. Aside from injuries im pretty much expecting the same team that beat bournemouth. More than likely szobo for jones and kelleher for alisson.

That's true although we could make a few changes such as Grav for Harvey and Gakpo for Diaz and still be at full strength.

Harvey doesn't look as if he's quite ready to take on a starting role, probably should go back to being an impact sub.

That's true although we could make a few changes such as Grav for Harvey and Gakpo for Diaz and still be at full strength.

Harvey doesn't look as if he's quite ready to take on a starting role, probably should go back to being an impact sub.
But harvey works a lot harder defensively than Grav. Grav is still very hit and miss. I wouldn't trust Grav is a 2nd leg semi final away from him to press and defend as well as Elliott.

If Jones isn't fit I'd go for a team similar to Modo. It's not a weakened team, its rotation.

Kelleher (he's the LC keeper)

Bradley
Konate
Quansah
Gomez

Mac Allister
Elliott
Gravenberch

Nunez
Gakpo (He's scored in every LC game, he's a must start).
Jota

Give Diaz 30 minutes or so.

I forgot about the Jones injury. I'll update my team to be the below.

Kelleher

Bradley
Konate
Virgil
Gomez

Mac Allister
Gravenberch
Elliot

Diaz
Jota
Nunez

If we don't give Elliot a run of games now (when there is literally no alternative!!) then when will we? I think give him this then Norwich He'll thrive with the responsibility. He's not perfect, but I still think its the perfect setting with injuries & absences.

I forgot about the Jones injury. I'll update my team to be the below.

Kelleher

Bradley
Konate
Virgil
Gomez

Mac Allister
Gravenberch
Elliot

Diaz
Jota
Nunez

If we don't give Elliot a run of games now (when there is literally no alternative!!) then when will we? I think give him this then Norwich He'll thrive with the responsibility. He's not perfect, but I still think its the perfect setting with injuries & absences.
I'd consider Quansah in for Konate but other than that agree

david-lynch-andy-robertson-has-returned-to-full-training-v0-1iowunwe86ec1.jpeg

Curtis Jones is set to be available to face Fulham after avoiding injury at Bournemouth.

Trent Alexander-Arnold and Dominik Szoboszlai in line to return for Liverpool's FA Cup clash with Norwich this weekend.

Lijnders: "Curtis is OK, Trent is now two weeks out, team training by the end of the week, hopefully be ready for FA Cup, Dominik will be ready for FA Cup if everything is smooth. Robertson is 13 weeks out, he can train with the team and make contact, that is really cool. He is pushing himself into the squad, which is nice because he is one of our captain. We speak about Robbo, we have to speak about Joe Gomez, what he is doing this season, probably our most consistent player. I am really happy for him and it shows so much about our squad. That is good."

Lijnders on Robbo: "Is he available to play? Yes. Medical team said it is a coaching decision, so he is in!"

Lijnders confirms that Nat Phillips and Calvin Ramsay will go out on loan before the window ends.

Last edited:
Link to Presser

• Starts at 3 mins with comments regarding Mo Salah, explains it’s a muscle tear in the hamstring that requires 3 to 4 weeks to repair. Details why the decision to return was arrived at.
  • Discuss Jota and his “angry“ mood at 6 minutes and how well all the forward line are performing
  • Curtis to England (7 mins)
  • Nunez as chaos creator, chance creator (7:30 to 8:45)
  • Bradley - the right loan at the right time with right manager (8:45)
  • Injury update at 11:10
    • Curtis - not injured, just protected himself to avoid
    • Trent - back in training at the end of the week so hopefully ready for the FA Cup
    • Dominic - trained yesterday, ready fo FACup if everything goes smooth
    • Robbo - back in training, travel with squad to Fulham
  • Discussion about being in finals - pep wants to play every three guys as it gets everyone involved
  • Drove back from Bourememouth, train to Fulham as we are a green club
  • Loan discussion. Mentions Ramsey, Carvalho, Morton

Last edited:
Obviously Thiago and Bajcetic are still dead. Didnt mention them
Starting to slowly get irritated with Baj now and I know I shouldn't because he's still a teenager and whatnot but nothing grates on my ballsacks more than a player being fucked for months and months.

Starting to slowly get irritated with Baj now and I know I shouldn't but nothing grates on my ballsacks more than a player being fucked for months and months.
Growing pains, the boy can't help it.

Growing pains, the boy can't help it.
Then go play a less demanding sport like badminton or something.

What are we doing, waiting for him to turn 24 before we decide...."oh hey, btw guys Baj's back everyone.....yeah remember this guy"

Link to Presser

• Starts at 3 mins with comments regarding Mo Salah, explains it’s a muscle tear in the hamstring that requires 3 to 4 weeks to repair. Details why the decision to return was arrived at.
  • Discuss Jota and his “angry“ mood at 6 minutes and how well all the forward line are performing
  • Curtis to England (7 mins)
  • Nunez as chaos creator, chance creator (7:30 to 8:45)
  • Bradley - the right loan at the right time with right manager (8:45)
  • Injury update at 11:10
    • Curtis - not injured, just protected himself to avoid
    • Trent - back in training at the end of the week so hopefully ready for the FA Cup
    • Dominic - trained yesterday, ready fo FACup if everything goes smooth
    • Robbo - back in training, travel with squad to Fulham
  • Discussion about being in finals - pep wants to play every three guys as it gets everyone involved
  • Drove back from Bourememouth, train to Fulham as we are a green club
  • Loan discussion. Mentions Ramsey, Carvalho, Morton

Ta for the summary.

Great to have the FA Cup game to get Trent, Robbo & Dom some minutes ahead of the Chelsea game. I am excited for Robbo to be back, although I kinda hope we ease him back in and start Gomez who is in flying form for Chelsea & Arsenal. Gomez as a right footed LB against Saka who loves to cut inside could be really useful.

Do we give Gomez a wee break in this game? This must be the most consecutive games he has had in a while. Wouldn't mind seeing Bradders and Robbo lining up at FB, and then we have Gomez to come in for Robbo if he starts to slow. Quansah for Konate too. The big lad is one we also need to manage.

Do we give Gomez a wee break in this game? This must be the most consecutive games he has had in a while. Wouldn't mind seeing Bradders and Robbo lining up at FB, and then we have Gomez to come in for Robbo if he starts to slow. Quansah for Konate too. The big lad is one we also need to manage.

I am warming to the idea of resting Ibu. I think the Gomez rest is a good point - I wonder if starting Robbo might be too much throwing him in the deep end.. but we could have them do 60/30 mins each in both of these cup games, maybe give Robbo 30 Fulham then 60+ at Norwich before we decide if he's ready to start against Chelsea.

Nah. Shift him over to RB then maybe sub Bradley on at 60 min mark. The guys have just had a wee break, plus he'll likely get another one this weekend. Then with Trent and Robbo fully back, he'll probably have the rest of the season off.

Ta for the summary.

Great to have the FA Cup game to get Trent, Robbo & Dom some minutes ahead of the Chelsea game. I am excited for Robbo to be back, although I kinda hope we ease him back in and start Gomez who is in flying form for Chelsea & Arsenal. Gomez as a right footed LB against Saka who loves to cut inside could be really useful.
I wouldn't change a thing. Robbo needs to win his place back. Gomez isn't a young player like Bradders, he's arguably our most senior player and should be seen as a potential starter.

Nah. Shift him over to RB then maybe sub Bradley on at 60 min mark. The guys have just had a wee break, plus he'll likely get another one this weekend. Then with Trent and Robbo fully back, he'll probably have the rest of the season off.
I think with Konate's injury record, Gomez is going to play his part at CB too this season. He's going to play an important role in the run in.

Robbo’s injury was one that didn’t impacted fitness so I don’t see why he can’t play from the start if Klopp wants. He’s apparently very “keen” from the presser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom