• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game Week 21 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep telling me that this City team is different...what I just saw them do to Newcastle is what they've been doing to teams these last 3 or more years, or maybe I'm imagining it.

While plenty of teams have rolled over for them in recent years, they've also always had the ability to grind results too.

They've looked more vulnerable this year but still have the ability and mindset to clawback from anywhere.

Anyone writing them off or saying it's different is off their rocker. We'll have to be near perfect down the stretch.

Typical City once Kev came on. They are going to stroll the treble again unless they get injuries to their main 3.

While plenty of teams have rolled over for them in recent years, they've also always had the ability to grind results too.

They've looked more vulnerable this year but still have the ability and mindset to clawback from anywhere.

Anyone writing them off or saying it's different is off their rocker. We'll have to be near perfect down the stretch.
Nonot near perfect, but completely Perfect, we have to win all our games. No draws just wins. Thats the end of it, I dont see them losing points to anyone except maybe us and Spurs. I dont think we will win against everyone we have left, I think we will have many draws that will cost us.

Such a shame Newcastle did not press as well as they did in the first half that led to their goals. They broke them down perfectly and exposed Cities biggest weakness by exploiting that space in behind. I found watching Isak really frustrating at times, his off the ball running is terrible.

People keep telling me that this City team is different...what I just saw them do to Newcastle is what they've been doing to teams these last 3 or more years, or maybe I'm imagining it.
The previous City teams would have been 3 nil up at half time, that was a tough game for them. But Newcastle have not got enough in them left anymore. I think Darwin is gonna have some fun against that City team.

The previous City teams would have been 3 nil up at half time, that was a tough game for them. But Newcastle have not got enough in them left anymore. I think Darwin is gonna have some fun against that City team.
The Man City that were down by 2 against Villa came back in the last 10 mins and won?
Not sure, man...

The Man City that were down by 2 against Villa came back in the last 10 mins and won?
Not sure, man...
Yes but that was at home to Aston Villa and their nerves rightly clicked in knowing we were right behind them.

I can see how this particular game might 'trigger' and I get it but ...
1. Newcastle were playing on fumes and barely deserved to be level, never mind in front, at half time. The second half was sooooooo like many we have suffered, where we are clearly superior than the opposition but incapable of asserting that with goals until the opposition are almost dead on their feet.
2. KDB returning and being a class act is not a surprise
3. City came from behind 1-2 away and ended up winning

Yepp, they are our competition, we are shit hot too. Same as the last four seasons.You didn't expect it to be be easy did you?

More importantly, do you want it to be? It should be competitive and exciting right to the last few weeks, and into them when it's super close.

There's no point waxing lyrical about the 70's, 80s, 90s, 00s etc because we don't have anyone under 40 on the board! Those seasons were hard too, we fought hard game by game and ended up with more points than the second best team (obv.!). It just seemed to happen season after season (almost). My memory of being a young man and the championships just rolling in as a matter of course is almost certainly the same for United/arsenal fans in the 90's and 00's.

So it doesn't feel any different today, City are THE ONES! We are in are a battle. Let's hope Klopp and the team prevail.

He's so overrated
No wish to annoy but he isn't. He's a class act and has been run into the ground because Howe didn't't seem to have any options.

The Trippier vs Trent comparison is something else. Newcastle picking up Trippier for £20m (???) was a massive bargain. Not just for the price but because of his 'local lad' motivations on top of his capability.

Can you imagine the price tag on Trent .... and he'd be moving away from Liverpool.

Back to the game and. .... Burn

Yet another top, top, top performance. I'm not a @King Binny sort of fan so don't follow other clubs in the same way as us. So I made the shit (visual) assumption Burn was a CB pushed out wide. Hence, a liability. I mean a lanky, slow defender as a FB in 2023!!!! He's been brilliant this season, and probably previously when I wasn't paying attention, and possibly a candidate for EPL team of the year at the mo.

As thing stand I'm not feeling terribly aggrieved about the Newcastle buy out by Saudi. I think they've spent well within reason and bought mainly good but not Chelsea/Man City 2000/2010 levels. Maybe FFP is working?

1. Newcastle were playing on fumes and barely deserved to be level, never mind in front, at half time. The second half was sooooooo like many we have suffered, where we are clearly superior than the opposition but incapable of asserting that with goals until the opposition are almost dead on their feet.

Yepp, they are our competition, we are shit hot too. Same as the last four seasons.You didn't expect it to be be easy did you?

More importantly, do you want it to be? It should be competitive and exciting right to the last few weeks, and into them when it's super close.

There's no point waxing lyrical about the 70's, 80s, 90s, 00s etc because we don't have anyone under 40 on the board! Those seasons were hard too, we fought hard game by game and ended up with more points than the second best team (obv.!). It just seemed to happen season after season (almost). My memory of being a young man and the championships just rolling in as a matter of course is almost certainly the same for United/arsenal fans in the 90's and 00's.

So it doesn't feel any different today, City are THE ONES! We are in are a battle. Let's hope Klopp and the team prevail.
Do I want it to be easy? Well, for entertainment purposes? No, but for my own well being? Hell yes!
How long did "we" talk about the season Michael Thomas and Arsenal "stole" a title from us? That's happened three times now in the last 10 years. I admit, I'm still a bit traumatised by it. I mean who isn't?
I want to be clear, no hyperbole here, we can definitely do it. Odds are against us obviously with Salah away and our accumulation of injuries to key players, but we've managed to hold on. It's a long way to go still. As always, one game at a time.

How long did "we" talk about the season Michael Thomas and Arsenal "stole" a title from us? That's happened three times now in the last 10 years. I admit, I'm still a bit traumatised by it. I mean who isn't?I
Let's not go there. I've had the therapy

I genuinely remember where I was when he scored. Fuck the elections, assassinations and such

Last edited:
I want to be clear, no hyperbole here, we can definitely do it. Odds are against us obviously with Salah away and our accumulation of injuries to key players, but we've managed to hold on. It's a long way to go still. As always, one game at a time.

Well, I ain't going to incur the wrath of certain 'jinx' guys on here but I think we have a decent shout. FFP actually seems to be biting and it won't be long before we are whingeing about it too

Do I want it to be easy? Well, for entertainment purposes? No, but for my own well being? Hell yes!
How long did "we" talk about the season Michael Thomas and Arsenal "stole" a title from us? That's happened three times now in the last 10 years. I admit, I'm still a bit traumatised by it. I mean who isn't?
We were never going into the last game of the season in the lead and when we were it was for a matter of mins during the games. The Arsenal half is still the worst by a distance.

We were never going into the last game of the season in the lead and when we were it was for a matter of mins during the games. The Arsenal half is still the worst by a distance.
The whole last 20 mins of that game is still a story I tell new acquaintances unless my wife is around!

She has a point now, it is a 'few' years ago.

Yeah - I know - people forget that in the late 70's and early 80's we were playing teams in our league that were potential European Champions in Aston Villa / Nottingham Forest, and a load of other teams that had gone onto win the UEFA cup at the time (remember Ipswich Town ?). It was bloody hard then and it's hard now. I do wonder - are the margins for error way lower than what they were back then ? I don't know. But what gets me now is the Trent / LB injuries and the Matip injury. It's all a bit too much with the games coming up next week. You know - you just know that Konate or Gomez could get injured at any point. Then down the line we have a game away to Everton where they don't tackle but potentially assault our players.

I'm not being pessimistic here. Just a realist. We will have to be nearly perfect.

It's not impossible but the margin of error will, once again, be so small. City will be favored, regardless of what the table says today and that's ok with me. They've earned that. Let's take it away from them or at least make them work to the last for it.

What a load of defeatist pessimism in this thread.

City just got the same result against Newcastle away as we did, with just a couple of small differences - they played Newcastle when they are in the doldrums (FA cup win against a lower division side notwithstanding), and they needed 11 men on the pitch for 90+ minutes to do it.

Oh, and this is a Newcastle side that we recently beat comfortably, and, in reality, were very close to absolutely twatting - and before you say "yes should have twatted them but DIDN'T", remember that is the same argument you are using to defend the fact that City only won by a last minute goal.

We are two points ahead, we have City to play at home, we have only dropped 2 points at home all season and the collective wisdom is we are yet to hit our best form.

Sometimes it feels like a spurs forum on here

Last edited:
You mean a Newcastle side with 20 injuries and the rest dead on their feet for the last 30 mins from being played non -stop for the past 10 games in Europe, FAC and the PL? Similar to our scoreline (but we scored 4 not 3)!

That was some finish…I feel dirty, but want Utd to win this - thety’re no threat to us anyway.

I think, given Spurs ridiculously naive high line, Utd will win this comfortably on the counter…3-0

2 of the best strikers in the world of show here.

Well...won't be long until the media paint that narrative for us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom