• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gary Rents Boys on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been stopping shots better than Reina but his positioning is shocking & he doesn't tell the defence where to be ever.

That may sound irrelevant but if you watch our back line remain static as the ball moves (as opposed to pushing up to create offside or moving to close down a threat) in think it increases risk of conceding.

His distribution is also poor, but Reina's has been this season.

In current form (pepe before injury obv) neither are good enough imo & both have massive flaws. I'd probably stick with Jones for a few more games but if he didn't improve that distribution & positioning he'd be dropped again.

Inbox.

Reina is better than Jones. Jones might be in better form, but Reina is twice the keeper.
We're really hurting because of Jones poor distribution and communication.

He 's done a great job though and can fill in as our reserve GK. Sell Doni

Poor little Pepe.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact this "Championship keeper" doesn't look like conceding every time the ball comes near him. Maybe he's putting in solid performances which warrant him retaining his place.

Always someone elses fault when it comes to the deluded Pepe Reina fans.
- His shit performances in the last 18 months just has to be down to him not having his old Goalkeeping coach, or it's because Rodgers way of playing(Kenny before that)doesn't suit him or it's because he's playing in front of a leaky defence.
Anything and anyone to blame but the man himself.

Why are you so angry about it?

I understand you're frustrated with him, but that's a tad hyperbolic. I think you might be guilty of judging Pepe by his own very high standards. And while Jones has got the basics right, whenever a little bit more has been asked of him, he's been found wanting. That's not his fault - he's just not very good. Over the course of a season, he will concede more than Pepe. I just don't see the value in keeping Pepe out of the team. I would understand if we had someone of a similar calibre to replace him, but we don't. It's not just about his shot-stopping ability, it's about the command of his area, the sweeper role he plays, the quickness off his line, the distribution, the decision-making. He'll prevent as many goal-scoring chances as he saves shots, and that can't be underestimated. He's just much better, basically.

I agree Pepe is the better keeper based on experience, but based on form I think that's incredibly harsh. "whenever a bit more has been asked of him, he's been found wanting". What? Like his save after save against Swansea last week when under pressure with shots piling in from all angles??

One is good stopping shots but dreadful at deciding whether to come and go, the other good at deciding whether to come and go but rubbish at stopping shots. Can we not morph them together?

It's also baffling that despite our recent policy of buying every goalkeeper on the planet we haven't got any good ones.

Bad commanding of the area, hoofing the ball like crazy, not a great shot stopper, poor poor positioning.
I don't rate Jones at all.
I'm absolutely shocked some are saying he's better than Reina.
Our possession percentage has also decreased since Jones came in. Which means we're not playing our game.
Hope Pepe starts.

Worst use of stats ever.

Our possession percentage dropped with Jones in net. So bring Pepe back.Fucking hell.

There's so much wrong with that logic.

One is good stopping shots but dreadful at deciding whether to come and go, the other good at deciding whether to come and go but rubbish at stopping shots. Can we not morph them together?
That's silly, we'll only get a dreadful shot stopper that can't decide whether to come and go.

Worst use of stats ever.

Our possession percentage dropped with Jones in net. So bring Pepe back.Fucking hell.

How many times a game do we have goal kicks? Does Jones catch crosses? Do our defenders pass back to him? Shots does he save and proceed to punt it long to nobody?

But you're right, those stats should be ignored to help your argument.

Worst use of stats ever.

Aye, like last week when all our pretty passing came to fuck all and then Enrique lumps it forward 50 yards and Suarez bangs it in the back of the net. There's only one stat that's ultimately meaningful. The scoreline.

How many times a game do we have goal kicks? Does Jones catch crosses? Do our defenders pass back to him? Shots does he save and proceed to punt it long to nobody?

But you're right, those stats should be ignored to help your argument.

Possession stats should be ignored.

So picking a keeper because you think he helps with an irrelevant stat is ridiculous.

Even if its for the wrong reasons at least you're picking the right keeper

Some rumours that Skrtel is out of tomorrow's game.
3-5-2 ?

So Rodgers should quit then.
His philosophy means fuck all to the both of you.

Errrrr... that's not what I said, I said stats are ultimately meaningless because for all the possession we had last week, the thing that got us a point was a hopeless punt that Suarez made the most of. I'm not saying his philosophy is ineffective, but as Ross sort of just eluded to, it's only fully reasoned when you have the players to make the most of it, at the moment we don't. We scrapped the drawing board, did the basics and got something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom