• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gerrard to Saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good luck Hendo!!

In truth, we will be stupid to reject something like £30m. Everyone's doing it, we are just holding ourselves back if we don't let Hendo or Thiago go when the Saudis are trigger happy. They won't be mugs forever.

Both of them will recoup us nothing in a few years.

Exactly. Going to a backward league to manage a bunch of nobodies is not a good career move for a top manager. But then he made it worse by taking up the Villa job next.

Not mine. Forwarded as a whatsapp message by a friend.

It's a fantastic career move, he will be setup for life with the money he will earn. I am so happy for a guy that sacrificed his reputation for a club that was very average during his playing days, and he alone during that period gave LFC a level of meaning as a big club.

It's a fantastic career move, he will be setup for life with the money he will earn. I am so happy for a guy that sacrificed his reputation for a club that was very average during his playing days, and he alone during that period gave LFC a level of meaning as a big club.

Read my post carefully, @moron

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ven-34-year-prison-sentence-for-using-twitter

Hey Stevie! If you're going to take Blood Money, ask the Saudis to first release this lady. Footballers could make a difference by speaking up and speaking out - at a minimum you would draw attention to situations like this.

======================

Saudi woman given 34-year prison sentence for using Twitter

Salma al-Shehab, a Leeds University student, was charged with following and retweeting dissidents and activists

A Saudi student at Leeds University who had returned home to the kingdom for a holiday has been sentenced to 34 years in prison for having a Twitter account and for following and retweeting dissidents and activists.

The sentencing by Saudi’s special terrorist court was handed down weeks after the US president Joe Biden’s visit to Saudi Arabia, which human rights activists had warned could embolden the kingdom to escalate its crackdown on dissidents and other pro-democracy activists.

The case also marks the latest example of how the crown prince Mohammed bin Salman has targeted Twitter users in his campaign of repression, while simultaneously controlling a major indirect stake in the US social media company through Saudi’s sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund (PIF).

Salma al-Shehab, 34, a mother of two young children, was initially sentenced to serve three years in prison for the “crime” of using an internet website to “cause public unrest and destabilise civil and national security”. But an appeals court on Monday handed down the new sentence – 34 years in prison followed by a 34-year travel ban – after a public prosecutor asked the court to consider other alleged crimes.

By all accounts, Shehab was not a leading or especially vocal Saudi activist, either inside the kingdom or in the UK. She described herself on Instagram – where she had 159 followers – as a dental hygienist, medical educator, PhD student at Leeds University and lecturer at Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, and as a wife and a mother to her sons, Noah and Adam.

Her Twitter profile showed she had 2,597 followers. Among tweets about Covid burnout and pictures of her young children, Shehab sometimes retweeted tweets by Saudi dissidents living in exile, which called for the release of political prisoners in the kingdom. She seemed to support the case of Loujain al-Hathloul, a prominent Saudi feminist activist who was previously imprisoned, is alleged to have been tortured for supporting driving rights for women, and is now living under a travel ban.

Two other named defendants, Ali Alzabarah and Ahmed Almutairi, above, are on the FBI’s wanted list and are believed to be in Saudi Arabia.

One person who knew Shehab said she could not stomach injustice. She was described as well-educated and an avid reader who had arrived in the UK in 2018 or 2019 to pursue her PhD at Leeds. She had returned home to Saudi Arabia in December 2020 on a holiday and had intended to bring her two children and husband back to the UK with her. She was then called in for questioning by Saudi authorities and eventually arrested and tried for her tweets.

Twitter declined to comment on the case and did not respond to specific questions about what – if any – influence Saudi Arabia has over the company. Twitter previously did not respond to questions by the Guardian about why a senior aide to Prince Mohammed, Bader al-Asaker, has been allowed to keep a verified Twitter account with more than 2 million followers, despite US government allegations that he orchestrated an illegal infiltration of the company which led anonymous Twitter users to be identified and jailed by the Saudi government. One former Twitter employee has been convicted by a US court in connection to the case.

Jesus christ NY, give it a rest already.

Just because he's going there to work and earn a fat paycheck doesn't mean he's involved in all things political. He's not like the British colonists who like to stick their nose in other countries business.

Just because he's going there to work and earn a fat paycheck doesn't mean he's involved in all things political. He's not like the British colonists who like to stick their nose in other countries business.

He's being employed by the dude who murders people who criticise him, and jails people for life for retweeting shit. It's not separate in any way.

Fuck Saudi Arabia, fuck MBS and fuck Steven Gerrard. And before anyone starts saying yeah but we sell them arms, fuck our govt, fuck BAE systems and fuck all the apologists too.

mate, this funding of the Saudi league is ALL about politics. So let's use it to people's advantage.

All stevie has to do is speak up about this and he helps a few thousand people. Getting innocents released is a much better feeling than scoring a belter in the CL.

I get people don't care about strangers in foreign countries, but there's no harm in doing a little good when you have so much leverage.

If we could get everyone to agree to stop watching the premier league, how long would it be before it falls apart?

Pretty quickly I’d guess if it were worldwide abandonment but even just if the fans stopped going to the stadium it might be enough to spoil the product.

Last edited:
If we could get everyone to agree to stop watching the premier league, how long would it be before it falls apart?

Pretty quickly I’d guess if it were worldwide abandonment but even just if the fans stopped going to the stadium it might be enough to spoil the product.

The problem is, if 20000 people decided not to watch... It's fuck all for a potential audience of billions.

It's done. Either we accept our new Saudi paymasters or we wait for death

Read my post carefully, @moron

I did - it assumes you think he wants to manage a top team in Europe or has ambitions to do so. I think what happened at Aston Vila with that prick Mings has put him off a little. Also I suspect he has had offers here and and compared and contrasted the money on offer and basically its a no brainer.

mate, this funding of the Saudi league is ALL about politics. So let's use it to people's advantage.

All stevie has to do is speak up about this and he helps a few thousand people. Getting innocents released is a much better feeling than scoring a belter in the CL.

I get people don't care about strangers in foreign countries, but there's no harm in doing a little good when you have so much leverage.

The Arabs aren't going to give a rat's arse, sadly, considering what they're planning to build for the next 10 years. Stevie, this lady, and many thousands others are only a drop in the ocean compared to what these nutters are building...and btw, they've actually started building so its not just all talk !

I'd really like to see them pull off The Line and The Pangeos. I remembered decades ago, when people were talking about Dubai's grand plan or even the World Cup in the desert, everyone said it was a very distant pipe dream - one that would be virtually impossible to pull off, but look at Dubai today. I reckon Saudi will pull this off and declare themselves as the indisputable leader in the Arab world. It'd be very interesting to monitor ties between them and Israel - because that will shape future world politics.

Almost zero chance his contract didn’t cover that he must remain silent on any political or human rights issues.
He couldn’t do any good here even if he wanted to.

Love how everyone in the media keeps acting as if all this Saudi shit is completely normal. You'd think Firmino signed for Wolfsburg or some other random cunts

I did - it assumes you think he wants to manage a top team in Europe or has ambitions to do so. I think what happened at Aston Vila with that prick Mings has put him off a little. Also I suspect he has had offers here and and compared and contrasted the money on offer and basically its a no brainer.
You clearly didn't Moron.
The original post was a joke which was reposted from whatsapp that was suggesting that Rangers was the basket case club and Gerrard made matters worse by then going to Aston Villa.

The original post was a joke which was reposted from whatsapp that was suggesting that Rangers was the basket case club and Gerrard made matters worse by then going to Aston Villa.

Normally if you have to explain a joke it’s not very good, but in this case, given it’s Moron, the fact that it went over his head makes it even more amusing.

357419260_202629352764309_4108506728886813608_n.jpg

Its still a shit league in all honesty and the stadiums are pretty poor. Several of them have the running tracks around them like the Stadio Olympico in Rome.

Almost zero chance his contract didn’t cover that he must remain silent on any political or human rights issues.
He couldn’t do any good here even if he wanted to.

He could say something before he signed the deal. "Would like to sign but here's my concerns". Again one person speaking up with a mic can encourage others, and then you start to turn the tide on the sports-washers and flip it a little. But no none of them have the cahones.

There is absolutely no humour in the original post, if you are referring to the fact that he went to Aston Villa being a more of a basket case then that sentence is poorly constructed for humour. One can read it as he made it worse by going to Aston Villa because he ultimately got sacked for doing a poor job.

Its still a shit league in all honesty and the stadiums are pretty poor. Several of them have the running tracks around them like the Stadio Olympico in Rome.

What's wrong with that?

Perhaps doesn't make it ideal for a fans perspective but doesn't mean they're poor stadiums. Stadio Olympic is a historic stadium.

There is absolutely no humour in the original post, if you are referring to the fact that he went to Aston Villa being a more of a basket case then that sentence is poorly constructed for humour. One can read it as he made it worse by going to Aston Villa because he ultimately got sacked for doing a poor job.

DaringWarpedAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom