• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Has football made it in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the average weekly TV stats on US SPORTS (2022-23)
NFL (Football) - 16.7 million.
NASCAR - 3 Million
MLB (Baseball) 1.60 Million (Opening night)
NBA (Basketball) - 1.59 million
NHL (Ice Hockey) 1.43 million
F1 - 1.21 million
Premier League - 527K
MLS - 295K

Also Series and Finals
NSCAA College Football Final - 19 million
NSCAA (College Basketball March Madness) - 10 million
Masters Golf Final - 9.5 million
NASCAR Playoffs - 3.7 million
World Cup Final 2022 - 3.59 million
Champions League Final 2022 (Pool v Real) - 2.76 million
Arsenal-Liverpool match on April 9 2022 - 833K (most streamed PL match ever)

Source:
https://www.statista.com/topics/2113/sports-on-tv/#topicOverview

MORE on the PL
Premier League draws second-best season yet on U.S. airwaves

The Premier League's first season of a new media rights pact with NBC Sports -- its 10th season with the broadcaster -- delivered the second-best season of U.K. soccer on U.S. airwaves to date. Games across NBC, USA and CNBC averaged 527,000 viewers for the 2022-23 season, behind only the 2015-16 season on U.S. TV. That figure includes streaming on Peacock and other NBC digital outlets. The Premier League is up 3% from 510,000 viewers last season. There were nine matches drawing over 1 million viewers -- also NBC's second-best figure for the league. That included the two best Premier League matches ever on U.S. TV, led by Arsenal-Manchester United on Jan. 22 with 1.9 million. Peacock also drew an average minute audience of 833,000 viewers for its exclusive Arsenal-Liverpool match on April 9, which is the most-streamed Premier League match yet in the U.S.

[xtable=skin1|border:1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:2}Premier League viewership trend for NBC Sports{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}SEASON{/td}
{td}AVG. VIEWERS (000){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2022-23{/td}
{td}527{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2021-22{/td}
{td}510{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2020-21{/td}
{td}414{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2019-20{/td}
{td}462{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2018-19{/td}
{td}457{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2017-18{/td}
{td}449{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2016-17{/td}
{td}447{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2015-16{/td}
{td}540{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2014-15{/td}
{td}479{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2013-14{/td}
{td}438{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Last edited:
Here's the average weekly stats on US SPORTS
NFL (Football) - 16.7 million.
MLB (Baseball) 1.60 Million (Opening night)
NBA (Basketball) - 1.59 million
NHL (Ice Hockey) 1.43 million
Premier League - 527K
MLS - 295K

Also Series and Finals
NSCAA College Football Final - 19 million
NSCAA (College Basketball March Madness) - 10 million
Masters Golf Final - 9.5 million
NASCAR Playoffs - 3.7 million
World Cup Final 2022 - 3.59 million
Champions League Final 2022 (Pool v Real) - 2.76 million
Arsenal-Liverpool match on April 9 2022 - 833K (most streamed PL match ever)

Source:
https://www.statista.com/topics/2113/sports-on-tv/#topicOverview

MORE on the PL
Premier League draws second-best season yet on U.S. airwaves

The Premier League's first season of a new media rights pact with NBC Sports -- its 10th season with the broadcaster -- delivered the second-best season of U.K. soccer on U.S. airwaves to date. Games across NBC, USA and CNBC averaged 527,000 viewers for the 2022-23 season, behind only the 2015-16 season on U.S. TV. That figure includes streaming on Peacock and other NBC digital outlets. The Premier League is up 3% from 510,000 viewers last season. There were nine matches drawing over 1 million viewers -- also NBC's second-best figure for the league. That included the two best Premier League matches ever on U.S. TV, led by Arsenal-Manchester United on Jan. 22 with 1.9 million. Peacock also drew an average minute audience of 833,000 viewers for its exclusive Arsenal-Liverpool match on April 9, which is the most-streamed Premier League match yet in the U.S.

[xtable=skin1|border:1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:2}Premier League viewership trend for NBC Sports{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}SEASON{/td}
{td}AVG. VIEWERS (000){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2022-23{/td}
{td}527{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2021-22{/td}
{td}510{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2020-21{/td}
{td}414{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2019-20{/td}
{td}462{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2018-19{/td}
{td}457{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2017-18{/td}
{td}449{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2016-17{/td}
{td}447{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2015-16{/td}
{td}540{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2014-15{/td}
{td}479{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2013-14{/td}
{td}438{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
So a long way to go.

Those are good numbers for a really undesirable time slot, but it's clearly a lesser sport. People still actively hate it, and large swaths of the country don't give a shit at all. Anecdotally, and also not, it's rise for me is on the back of an odd mix of mostly richer white kids and then a rising population of Spanish speaking immigrants.

I'm glad it's not that popular here.

Who cares? Every sport is obsessed with getting bigger. The obsession with having more broad appeal has made many sports worse, and in general, for me, once I can watch the sport I want to watch, why the fuck would I care whether others are watching it?

I had no idea!

Anfield’ is derived from the name ‘Annefield’ which means ‘The River Fields’. The club is named after a farm area in Wexford County

You are from the surrounding area?
Btw I haven’t met any of you boys so my still stands I haven’t met any Irish person who calls it football :D

You need more Dubs in your life. If I called it soccer back in the day I’d have been dropped

Btw I haven’t met any of you boys so my still stands I haven’t met any Irish person who calls it football :D
Im from Ireland. Anfield Lane gets its name from an area in the town of New Ross in southeast of Ireland.

Now as I said, I've always called it football, most of my friends who are into it called it football, do have people who are more into GAA will refer to it soccer

I had no idea!

Anfield’ is derived from the name ‘Annefield’ which means ‘The River Fields’. The club is named after a farm area in Wexford County

You need more Dubs in your life. If I called it soccer back in the day I’d have been dropped
It's basically a lane.. There was a family called Graves who had a tar and shipping business based in new ross who expanded their business to Liverpool and bought an area of land in Liverpool and called it after their own homestead(the castle styled house is still lived in today) in rosbercon, new ross, Co wexford

So, it's the guys from the right-hand side of the country who call it football.

In my defense my own personal exile is on the far left, with stone walls and grasses green

I had no idea!

The last thing any Irish person needs is more dubs in their life :D

Im from Ireland. Anfield Lane gets its name from an area in the town of New Ross in southeast of Ireland.

Now as I said, I've always called it football, most of my friends who are into it called it football, do have people who are more into GAA will refer to it soccer
Seems maybe a Leinster thing so in fairness I stand corrected,

Seems maybe a Leinster thing so in fairness I stand corrected,
Eh?
Leinster is province and would would be the least likely one to where it would be referred to as soccer. If anything I would say more than likely in the west in the rural areas where it would be most common

Eh?
Leinster is province and would would be the least likely one to where it would be referred to as soccer. If anything I would say more than likely in the west in the rural areas where it would be most common
Exactly, I meant calling it football in Ireland was a Leinster thing considering the English influence.

*cough*

As if us proddies in the north would call it anything other than football.

I’m pretty sure the DUP will cite calling it “soccer” as a reason to stay in the UK.

Last edited:
He’s British/Northern Irish. Clearly shows his allegiance with an affiliation for inferior crisps.

I’m pretty sure you’ve been hanging about too long in the bit of the wardrobe the missus stores her underwear - it’s melted your brain.

I mean… what’s left of it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom