• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Has football made it in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Average attendance is 22000 with the team in Atlanta averaging 47k people a game. Seems like many know more about the PL than we know about NFL. I couldn't name you one NFL star that is playing today.
I think it will over take baseball in terms of popularity in 20 years on current projection which is a dying game according to some pundits

Last edited:
The popularity of the Premier League here is pretty astonishing. I'm not saying that I'm typical or representative, but every parent and their kid that are in my circle "supports" a team - and everyone that I know prefers footy to baseball, ice hockey, and basketball.

The popularity of the Premier League here is pretty astonishing. I'm not saying that I'm typical or representative, but every parent and their kid that are in my circle "supports" a team - and everyone that I know prefers footy to baseball, ice hockey, and basketball.
state?

Football is without a doubt increasing in popularity. I do feel it is still a long way off from breaking into the big three.

There is a strong connection between American way of life, pastimes, family rituals and events and the big three games. I think football has a long way to go to penetrate that circle.

Average attendance is 22000 with the team in Atlanta averaging 47k people a game. Seems like many more about the PL than we know about NFL. I couldn't name you one NFL star that is playing today.
I think it will over take baseball in terms of popularity in 20 years on current projection which is a dying game

I could name you many NFL players. However I couldn't name you one baseball player.

There's a few different barometers

1. The MLS is growing in popularity for sure
2. Youth Soccer definitely has "arrived" as a fixture in American family life
3. Technical quality of youth soccer has improved
4. Support and knowledge of the PL has increased for sure. Less so in the mid west, and south. More in the NE, West Coast, and Florida.

Nope, it's still soccer.
Ah yes the name given to football by many countries who have a national version of football.
Ireland being another country who calls it soccer.
You do know soccer was coined in Oxford 150 odd years ago ya?

Ah yes the name given to football by many countries who have a national version of football.
Ireland being another country who calls it soccer.
You do know soccer was coined in Oxford 150 odd years ago ya?
Australia, Canada, South Africa, Ireland and USA.

So 5 countries in total.

Australia, Canada, South Africa, Ireland and USA.

So 5 countries in total.
Ireland and SA, really? Never met an Irish or South African calling it anything other than Football.

If anyones wondering why the Americans call their version of Rugby "Football", this has everything todo with Rugby. The two codes of Football were Association Football and Rugby Football. Whilst most of the world embraced the former the US embraced the latter and adapted to their own whims.

Ireland and SA, really? Never met an Irish or South African calling it anything other than Football.

If anyones wondering why the Americans call their version of Rugby "Football", this has everything todo with Rugby. The two codes of Football were Association Football and Rugby Football. Whilst most of the world embraced the former the US embraced the latter and adapted to their own whims.
I’ve never met an Irish person calling it football.

Yes but like Dreamy also said.. the word Soccer was from England itself.. the posh boys of Oxford

Rugger
Soccer

The latter an abbreviation of Association to Assoccer then just Soccer.

So when the posh boys of Harvard, Yale etc played they just called it Soccer.

Football was adopted by the more middle to working class people who exported the game globally.

Yes but like Dreamy also said.. the word Soccer was from England itself.. the posh boys of Oxford

Rugger
Soccer

The latter an abbreviation of Association to Assoccer then just Soccer.

So when the posh boys of Harvard, Yale etc played they just called it Soccer.

Football was adopted by the more middle to working class people who exported the game globally.
Interesting never heard this before and makes sense.

Football will never catch American football, baseball or basketball for popularity in America. But hockey could and should be looking over its shoulder.

https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/live-sports-statistics/#:~:text=Nowadays, 65% of sports fans,the top three with 42%.

This doesn't include premier league.. but MLS suggests it's 1 in 10. Still way behind the power 3 of NFL, NBA, MLB

Would be interesting if they included EPL in the survey too they way they included F1

[article]
But it will take more than one man for MLS to catch the European leagues in terms of popularity. The English Premier League averaged 527,000 viewers on NBC platforms in the United States compared with the 343,000 average viewers on ABC and ESPN in 2022. That's a gap that will take some time to fill, but Messi's play could quicken the pace.

[/article]
So in % figures would 18.4%.
I said Football (MLS) in 20 years would over take MLB. The average young American is way more educated on Football than ever before due to social media and games.
FCA24 is one of the best selling games in the states, the NFL equivalent doesn't sell so well in Europe.
The American Dream of earning lots of money, well footballers now make more money than NFL stars.
Accessibility, the game requires a ball and make-shift goal posts. Its an in expensive sport. Size doesn't matter unlike NFL and NBA
Football is 90M unlike other US sports, its far less intrusive

Last edited:
Lots of Irish call it football, depends on the scenario on what's used in my experience, Gaelic football is usually referred to as gaa, maybe urban vs rural thing.

Only the real GAA fans called it soccer and even at that it's more the older GAA crowd.. I've always called it football

In baseball they play 162 games in a season. A season lasts 6M. Each game lasts 2.30-3hrs. So they are literally playing 6 days of the week
Baseball sucks. Because so many games are played, none of them really matter. It's a long, boring game - and they are desperately trying to change the rules just to speed it all up. Empty stadia all around the country.

I was gonna say that there's nothing to be gained from a wider US audience as they'll only fuck with it and make it worse. Before realising that's exactly what we've been doing for the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom