• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

InSepption - van den Berg plots his route to the first team

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Interesting article on the front page of the Dutch news site I read each day. He seems to be getting some attention...

First battle course part 2, then Van den Berg thinks about a chance at Liverpool

No, Louis van Gaal has not agreed to it, answers national coach Erwin van de Looi with a smile on his face, when it comes to his renewed Jong Oranje.

After being eliminated in the semi-finals of the European Championship against Germany, he had to say goodbye to the group of Teun Koopmeiners, Dani de Wit, Justin Kluivert, Noa Lang and so on.

Apart from a few well-known names, such as Myron Boadu and Sven Botman, they are mainly new faces in Zeist. Van de Looi has called up fifteen debutants.

The Dutch Juniors will start the new European Championship qualifying cycle on Tuesday evening at 6.45 pm. Young Moldova is the opponent in Deventer. The other opponents in the group are Switzerland, Bulgaria, Wales and Gibraltar.

The group winner and the best number two qualify for the final round. Euro 2023 will be held in Georgia and Romania.

"The biggest difference with the previous batch is the type of players. In the previous group there were many wingers, boys who could play between the lines. But the great thing about this age is that it can suddenly go very quickly," says Van de Looi.

"On the other hand, there are many boys in this group who have played quite a few duels at the highest level. And where the core consisted of AZ players, there are now even more boys who play abroad."

A good example of this is Sepp van den Berg. Best known because he left PEC Zwolle to Liverpool at the age of seventeen. Two years later, he reports to Jong Oranje full of self-confidence and with considerable muscle mass.

"If I just see all those photos from two years ago... Then I was very small and flimsy," says the defender about himself. "I was seventeen, still living with my parents and my mother did everything for me at that time."

In England he is alone in that regard. His girlfriend is still studying in Utrecht. "I live on my own and have to cook for myself every night, clean myself. That is going better than expected. My cooking skills have clearly improved, my cleaning skills have not yet," he jokes.

Fighting course in Preston
He also makes strides as a player. That's mainly because he makes a lot of playing time in the Championship, the second tier in England, where he started his second season as a loaner at Preston North End.

"Fighting, fighting, fast pace, up and down, physically demanding." Van den Berg tries to describe the competition. "It is precisely in those areas that my biggest point for improvement lies. Playing football, you learn that at the Dutch football school, but fighting, I really learn that now."

Van den Berg follows the course of fighting at Preston North End as a wingback on the right. Call it Preston's Denzel Dumfries. Not his favorite position, but at his age, making minutes is the most important thing.

Van den Berg notices that he is becoming more talkative in the field, and that he is increasingly directing people. "That was also necessary. The step abroad has helped me in that. I have become better socially."

His contract with Liverpool, for which he made his debut in 2019 , will run until the summer of 2024. When he was at the club last summer for a medical check, he spoke with assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders, among others, about his development.

"They were satisfied then. And hopefully even more after this year. Actually, the plan was to participate in the preparation with the first of Liverpool this season, but I thought it was best to be rented out for another year."

His previous loan spell at Preston was as of February. "I quickly noticed what big steps you can take in six months of Championship. So I thought: if I play there for another year, I really have a chance at Liverpool."

In conversation with Van Dijk
That's his plan now: have another strong year and then fight for his chance in pre-season at Liverpool. There is, of course, a lot of competition there. Just think of that other Dutch defender: Virgil van Dijk.

When Van den Berg showed up at the Liverpool complex this summer, Van Dijk was still recovering from his injury, which forced him to miss the European Championship .

"Then we talked for a while. He asked me how I thought it went at Preston and told me that he thought it was a good choice, because making minutes is so important", Van den Berg stops talking for a while and forms a smile on his face.

"Who knows, I may be next to him next season. You should always keep dreaming."

I think he's kidding himself if he thinks he's got a chance of breaking into the team next season. He'll be back out on loan, and rightly so. Hopefully he won't be too disappointed with that as he sounds pretty level-headed, otherwise. It's good to dream, as long as you keep your feet on the ground, too.

I mean anything can happen with injuries so he's probably thinking if he can get ahead of Matip or Gomez when they are inevitably injured there's a chance to get the foot in the door.

Another good season on loan, maybe at a prem club, and who knows

Zero chance. He’s never playing for us. Said from the scouting report. Hasn’t got the desire.

I put good money he'll never start a league game for us.

In fact he'll probably be sold in summer if Preston or some other championship club decide to fork out 5m for him.

Initial scouting report shared by Modo I think talked about his lack of desire and effort and questioned whether he had the mental strength to make it. Can’t believe we signed him after that. Waste of a squad number.

Initial scouting report shared by Modo I think talked about his lack of desire and effort and questioned whether he had the mental strength to make it. Can’t believe we signed him after that. Waste of a squad number.
Yeah, Japp Stam was his manager in Holland and expressed concerns about his future.
Howevever, he has improved a lot since then and I think the loan move has been great for him.
Dreamy, people can change you know...especially after 2 years.

No, no, no.

We take information that is years old and, if it is negative, we treat it as gospel truth forever more.

On the other hand, if it is positive, we put it down to unfounded hype from The Firm.

That's the way it is, Modo

Last edited:
He is playing right back for Preston right? Or is he CB? Interesting if he is RB as I can't see him being suitable to fit into our system in that role unless he has suddenly become rapid and got a wicked cross. Would be pretty ideal if he did grow into that back up role though.

He is playing right back for Preston right? Or is he CB? Interesting if he is RB as I can't see him being suitable to fit into our system in that role unless he has suddenly become rapid and got a wicked cross. Would be pretty ideal if he did grow into that back up role though.

Yeah the TAA role.

I’m thinking it might be easier for him to break into the team as a back-up right-back at first. There have been some quality full-backs who happen to be very tall; this could be an interesting option, especially if he continues to perform and shows that amazing goal wasn't a fluke. Goal-scoring wing-backs like Chelsea’s Alonso or Atalanta’s Gosens are all the rage now - imagine a technically skillful player who is 190cm, built like a tank and is regularly making late runs into the area to get on the end of crosses from Robbo or Tsimikas. How do you stop that?

Last edited:
“but I thought it was best to be rented out for another year."

Have we become the cunts we call Chelsea...

"FSG has decided against signing Alexander Isak to replace Sadio Mane, after loanee Sepp Van Der Berg's impressive performance at Preston North End. Club insiders say Klopp and the management team now see young Sepp as a potential forward option, and there are concerns within the Club hierarchy that signing Isak would stymie the development of a future superstar."

Interesting read, thanks for posting – the Preston fans clearly love him and there were a few comments on him enjoying the physical side of the game and being a "proper warrior." Some suggested that his future could potentially lie in defensive midfield, while others are happy for him to continue as a right wing-back who both attacks and defends. Just got his first call-up in the Dutch U21 national team. All good signs, looks like LFC scouts were right to take a chance on this lad.

Last edited:
The kid seems to be doing well, but it's still the Championship.
Playing him in right back position with frequent runs up and down the wing must have helped him build stamina. It was a good idea to play him there for now

Playing him in right back position with frequent runs up and down the wing must have helped him build stamina. It was a good idea to play him there for now
And Agility, ball controll, crossing. It makes him more complete.

How many top CBs broke into the senioir football initially as full-backs? It’s a long list, everyone from Ramos to Alaba or Jerome Boateng. It’s a VERY common career path. And yes, I guess part of the reason is that it makes them more complete.

How many top CBs broke into the senioir football initially as full-backs? It’s a long list, everyone from Ramos to Alaba or Jerome Boateng. It’s a VERY common career path. And yes, I guess part of the reason is that it makes them more complete.
You missed our Jamie

TBH I always thought young defenders were blooded at full back as it is a less risky position for them and they can afford the odd mistake

You missed our Jamie

TBH I always thought young defenders were blooded at full back as it is a less risky position for them and they can afford the odd mistake

Of course, Carra is one of the first ones that comes to mind. It's a long list – which makes it so weird to hear opinions (not so much now, but there were a lot of these conversations a few years ago) that somehow playing a young CB at full-back somehow "ruins" them. As a young player you want as much playing experience as possible in any position you can get – kudos to VDB for finding a way to get into the Preston team, good for him and for us.

Even Maldini started out as a LB, very few players are good enough to start as a CB at 17/18. Id much rather see him get games at RB than sit in the bench as a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom