• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Is Shelvey The Messiah ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's like a very raw Gerrard minus the speed. We shouldn't recall him from blackpool last season, he's definitely benefit from the first team appearence there.

He strikes me as overeager to impress - he needs to play and play regularly and two three years time we will have a player. Our expectations in the league are well and truly lowered now so what is the point of signing Surin who will be here for a season and then fuck off back to Madrid.

He strikes me as overeager to impress - he needs to play and play regularly and two three years time we will have a player. Our expectations in the league are well and truly lowered now so what is the point of signing Surin who will be here for a season and then fuck off back to Madrid.

Because Şahin is a boss player who will help us in our aim to get in top 4 which will in turn generate more funds and interest in top tier players and Shelvey isn't ?

I think we should be loaning Shelvey to another Premier league club. As much as I like him, he's clearly not going to play much, and I'm not sure we can afford to carry him while he finds his feet. He needs games at this stage of his career, and we need to know whether he can cut it at this level. It seems like a no-brainer.

Well you obviously don't know me as it was clearly a joke, not a very good one at that.

Apologies.

He's still shite though.

There's a reason Rodgers has come in and immediately put him ahead of Henderson in the pecking order. The boy has a lot of quality on the ball, and can pick a pass. He's still very rash in the tackle, but if he plays enough, he'll learn to become better at this.

He isn't the messiah and isn't going to be. What he can be is an excellent premier league footballer. It'll be interesting to see the kind of chances he gets with the arrival of Şahin. IMO, he's certainly ahead of Adam and Henderson in the pecking order, and will therefore get to play a fair bit.

LIVERPOOL midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has refused to rule out the possibility of playing for Scotland but has admitted it would not be his first choice, writes Moira Gordon.

The 20-year-old former Arsenal and West Ham United youth player was signed for the Merseyside club from Charlton in 2010 and has been told he is a big part of new Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers’ plans for the current campaign.

But, while he has eyed a move up on to the international stage and has had discussions with members of the Scotland camp, he says he won’t rush into a decision.

“I’ve had a few meetings with the Scottish FA, given that my grandmother is from Edinburgh. So we’ll see but, at the moment, I’m just concentrating on my club career.

“If the time comes and I’m not playing for England then it’s a road I may look to go down. I’m still young, only 20 years of age, so I don’t have to make a decision just yet.”

The fact that the Romford lad has already represented England, captaining the sides at both under-16 and under-19 level and has four under-21 caps, would not rule him out of Craig Levein’s plans should both manager and player decide he should be part of the Scotland set-up.

“I’ve not spoken directly to Craig Levein about it. We’ve said hello when he’s been down at the training ground to see Charlie [Adam]. When I was at Blackpool last season I had a meeting with a few of the chief scouts for Scotland. I like what they had to say but we’ll just have to wait to see what happens.”

Adam was one of Liverpool’s transfer window departures but Levein is likely to maintain a close watch on Shelvey, whose opinion on Scottish football will have received a boost after the recent Europa League play-off tie with Hearts. Liverpool could only muster a 1-0 victory away from home and, back on their own turf, they were just six minutes away from losing the second leg, after David Templeton’s long-range shot was fumbled over the goal-line by Pepe Reina.

“Credit to Hearts, they came and made it difficult for us, just as they did up in Edinburgh, but I think we deserved to go through,” said Shelvey. “The manager has given me a few chances. I didn’t do so well last week against Hearts but, against Man City and again in midweek, I think I proved I deserved my chance.

“The way the manager wants us to play is to pass it, which suits me down to the ground. The great teams like Arsenal play like that so it’s the way ahead.

“When the manager first came in he told me I was one of the players he’d look to put out on loan. I took that on board and decided that I would show him I wanted to stay here.

“It’s paying off for me. When we got back from America he told me I was going to be a big part of his plans so that gave me a bit more confidence. I will just have to keep putting in performances.”

No need for that .
Charlie Adam will be a great player for Scotland and Shelvey should stand back and give him that opportunity .

What did people think of Gerrard at his age?
Ill be fucked if I can remember, but Im sure some will

Gerrard had a lot of hype around him, but it was clear to see why as soon as we laid eyes on him The only question marks were that he was too aggressive in the tackle and that Houllier was restricting his game too much. It's fair to say though that he walked straight into the team and his performances demanded that he would have to be played again the week after. Good though he is, Shelvey's is nowhere near that level and comparisons are pointless.

Believe he has all the abilities to be a great player for us especially in the attacking end. Hope he gets the chance to play and learn.
Dont forget he is only 21.

he has the chance to become a cracking player, very dynamic, but i always cringe when the ball bounces away from him cause you know someones getting fuckin badly snapped by him

Jurys out for me, he has a hell of a long way to go before i would trust him in a Rodgers midfield.

He is a driving midfielder with a huge potential. he needs some more experience and a few goals to get his confidence even higher. He will be a good one for us.

I think he's great, he's been our form player so far through preseason and into the first few games, alongside Sterling. Very promising for the future. If this German lad can be another surprise addition, I don't think I've been this excited about young players in a long, long time.

He's better than Henderson and in better form than Gerrard, he needs an deserves games.

Shelvey has great potential, but like every other youngster he will have good games and bad ones as he's still learning. Great talent and easily ahead of henderson. Whoever it was who spotted him did a great job as he has a big future here. To be honest as much as i love gerrard i would drop him and start shelvey instead. Gerrard has cost us goals in every game so far and he's still trying to be too maverick for my liking. Rather that trying to keep the ball he keeps trying to force the issue. Players should be picked on form, and right now gerrard isn't in good form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom