• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Konate - Is he worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big season for him. We’ll also get to see if a couple of those injuries were the outliers. I like him though, he’s a beast. Hopefully won’t get as exposed covering for Trent this season as well.

No, sell him for 5 million to man city.

Is he worth it?
If healthy, yes ... if not, it depends on where he is among our CBs.

We are going into the season with real possibility of having no CB by some point (in the season) due to injury. The only player that has some real resale value is Konate. I am only asking if he is out in similar fashion in the coming season, should we offload him if an offer comes in for £70m plus?

We are going into the season with real possibility of having no CB by some point (in the season) due to injury. The only player that has some real resale value is Konate. I am only asking if he is out in similar fashion in the coming season, should we offload him if an offer comes in for £70m plus?

No.

Why not, he's proven he is made of Weetabix? Continual inures will only hamper his development. If it was upto me, if he misses 12 league games due to injuries, I'd look to shift him for £70m +, Gomez £30m and rebuild the Centre back line.

Why not, he's proven he is made of Weetabix? Continual inures will only hamper his development. If it was upto me, if he misses 12 league games due to injuries, I'd look to shift him for £70m +, Gomez £30m and rebuild the Centre back line.

Thank god it's not up to you eh.

Likewise we have the real possibility of having no centre forward so let’s buy 5 more. Or Centre mids, let’s get another 7.

Play much football manager there BB? I think it'd be something right up your ally!!!!

Thank god it's not up to you eh.
If it was upto me, Ox and Naby would have gone 2 seasons ago. Having injury ridden players does the club no favours. We are going into this season knowing we could lose all our CBs and there is a real possibility we will not have any CB additions. Why would keeping a player who has shown to be a physical frailty beyond next season when his sale could facilitate 2 new CBs who could be fit through most of the season?

You're right. Sell Ibou. He's shite.

PS: I can imagine how most ppl think managing teams of people are a walk in the park. In the real world.

PS: I can imagine how most ppl think managing teams of people are a walk in the park. In the real world.

Did I say we should sell him? Read my post earlier in the thread and elsewhere on the forum.

I just don't base my opinions on whether he's a "likeable lad".

He is injury prone which makes him worse than shit! I said come summer, if he is being side-lined for more than 12 games this coming season I would sell him next summer.
If Colwill had this sort of injury record, would you be so keen on him?
[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Season{/th}
{th}Injury{/th}
{th}from{/th}
{th}until{/th}
{th}Days{/th}
{th}Games missed{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}22/23{/td}
{td}Muscle Injury{/td}
{td}Jan 30, 2023{/td}
{td}Feb 27, 2023{/td}
{td}28 days{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}22/23{/td}
{td}Knee Injury{/td}
{td}Aug 1, 2022{/td}
{td}Sep 25, 2022{/td}
{td}55 days{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20/21{/td}
{td}Ankle Injury{/td}
{td}Dec 17, 2020{/td}
{td}Feb 4, 2021{/td}
{td}49 days{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20/21{/td}
{td}Torn Muscle Fibre{/td}
{td}Jul 1, 2020{/td}
{td}Oct 15, 2020{/td}
{td}106 days{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19/20{/td}
{td}May 22, 2020{/td}
{td}Jun 5, 2020{/td}
{td}14 days{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19/20{/td}
{td}Oct 3, 2019{/td}
{td}Mar 11, 2020{/td}
{td}160 days{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Did I say we should sell him? Read my post earlier in the thread and elsewhere on the forum.

The problem isn't so much that he will get a few injuries, it's the fact we have no one else. Same with VVD. If we lose either of them we are screwed, because Matip is a couple of years past his best, and Gomez has completely regressed. And neither of them stay fit for longer than a few games.

We should have sorted this shit out after the season where we had to play Hendo, Fabinho, Phillips etc at centre back, but predictably we didn't and here we are. Praying that our only two good centre backs (one of whom is also hitting a downward curve) stay fit and play in pretty much every competitive game. It's fucking pathetic.

The problem isn't so much that he will get a few injuries, it's the fact we have no one else. Same with VVD. If we lose either of them we are screwed, because Matip is a couple of years past his best, and Gomez has completely regressed. And neither of them stay fit for longer than a few games.

We should have sorted this shit out after the season where we had to play Hendo, Fabinho, Phillips etc at centre back, but predictably we didn't and here we are. Praying that our only two good centre backs (one of whom is also hitting a downward curve) stay fit and play in pretty much every competitive game. It's fucking pathetic.
Isn’t it the same with Salah? If he’s injured/out of form then what other options do we have? An untested Diaz on the right or rookie in Doak?

Yeah and read my bit about managing teams. It's not as clear cut as many of us think, you know.

For me, what i've seen of him so far, i would like someone like Konate in my team, injured or not.

You may disagree and it's fine. But i like Konate and this thread is silly to begin with, because he's the least of our concerns (at least me thinks).

It's a fucking travesty really, if the fans had been told that 2-3 years down the line, heading into August we would be here with Gomez and Matip as our 3/4 choice CB's, there would have been murder. They're getting away with murder. Great stadium work, great manager, commercial side improved and we've signed some brilliant players, but the blueprint is hitting a point where it's not enough. Especially when we've not had any big stars to sell for big money and that's clearly where the hole in the budget is.

It's a fucking travesty really, if the fans had been told that 2-3 years down the line, heading into August we would be here with Gomez and Matip as our 3/4 choice CB's, there would have been murder. They're getting away with murder. Great stadium work, great manager, commercial side improved and we've signed some brilliant players, but the blueprint is hitting a point where it's not enough. Especially when we've not had any big stars to sell for big money and that's clearly where the hole in the budget is.

I think Klopp likes to work with a stable group of players over time rather than constantly have to train and induct loads of new ones.

I think Klopp likes to work with a stable group of players over time rather than constantly have to train and induct loads of new ones.

Which is fine, when you only need to add 1-2 players. That's the level we reached a few years ago, since then we've not really invested in the right areas. We were top heavy last season upfront (give or take injuries) but still stuttering on with an ageing midfield and a ageing/weak backline. We've just added two good midfielders, but lost 5, so the whole "Klopp likes to work with a stable group of players" is completely undone.

We need a CB, RB and DM. That's just enough for us to then put faith in a few others (Jones, Badger, etc) and hope for the best. If we go into this season now with just the addition of a DM we won't be winning anything.
Isn’t it the same with Salah? If he’s injured/out of form then what other options do we have? An untested Diaz on the right or rookie in Doak?
We have 5 FWs plus Doak, the formation can be changed. When your Konate goes, the other two, Matip and Gomez will collapse after 5 back to back games. We will have Trent playing at CB before you know it. Players like Parvard and Koop make total sense as they can play multiple positions really well.

Which is fine, when you only need to add 1-2 players. That's the level we reached a few years ago, since then we've not really invested in the right areas. We were top heavy last season upfront (give or take injuries) but still stuttering on with an ageing midfield and a ageing/weak backline. We've just added two good midfielders, but lost 5, so the whole "Klopp likes to work with a stable group of players" is completely undone.

I don’t think losing players undoes the “stable group” analogy if you only replace them with a couple of external players and give youngsters that you’ve been bringing through a chance to play.

I don’t think it’s a “one in, one out” scenario here.

The 5 midfielders we lost - includes 2 that played next to stuff all games, and another that was pensionable - 2 in is ok - another 1 would be good.

We could probably release Thiago and not notice he was gone too.

We absolutely should have signed a MF last year and we should sign a CB this year - I just don’t think we will.

We have 5 FWs plus Doak, the formation can be changed. When your Konate goes, the other two, Matip and Gomez will collapse after 5 back to back games. We will have Trent playing at CB before you know it. Players like Parvard and Koop make total sense as they can play multiple positions really well.
Of those 5 you mention how many are effective on the right? Nunez, Jota, Diaz and Gakpo have predominantly played on the left and never (outside of a matter of minutes) out right for us. SoBossLa has been bought as a midfielder. Moving him out right then reduces options inside which opens us up to relying on Thiago.

If Matip/Gomez collapse after 5 games each, you will have Konate back in the side. It is nowhere near as bad a situation as you are making out. We were cursed the season VVD was taken out. That wont happen again.

I’ve been banging this drum for seasons. Our lack of planning forced us into this drastic change. We revamped two thirds of the forward line last year. This year we have massively upgraded with Mac Allister and SoBossLa. Especially when we add Lavia. Next year will see the defence revamped. Hopefully we then go to the one out one in process to keep it fresh and more of an evolution of a side.

How likely to is he though? He doesn't look like an alternative to Salah for me, Gini had played on the wing a fair bit, but he was never good enough to do that in this system.
We've never really had/needed an alternative to Salah.....other than maybe Shaqiri. We're banking on him staying fit the whole season (which I suppose you can't argue doing but there is a risk attached nonetheless) and perhaps using Szobo to cover there in the games where we'll be away at AFCON.

And an alternative doesn't exactly need to be in the mould of a Salah.....

How likely to is he though? He doesn't look like an alternative to Salah for me, Gini had played on the wing a fair bit, but he was never good enough to do that in this system.

He has played 27 games on the right wing in his career so far, 11 goals and 8 assists from those games. I’m not saying he should be a back up to Salah, but if needs be he can play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom