• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Konate - Is he worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of those 5 you mention how many are effective on the right? Nunez, Jota, Diaz and Gakpo have predominantly played on the left and never (outside of a matter of minutes) out right for us. SoBossLa has been bought as a midfielder. Moving him out right then reduces options inside which opens us up to relying on Thiago.

If Matip/Gomez collapse after 5 games each, you will have Konate back in the side. It is nowhere near as bad a situation as you are making out. We were cursed the season VVD was taken out. That wont happen again.

I’ve been banging this drum for seasons. Our lack of planning forced us into this drastic change. We revamped two thirds of the forward line last year. This year we have massively upgraded with Mac Allister and SoBossLa. Especially when we add Lavia. Next year will see the defence revamped. Hopefully we then go to the one out one in process to keep it fresh and more of an evolution of a side.
Nobody has back ups for every position and Jota, Diaz and Gakpo, wherever they have predominantly played (and having only played a matter of minutes at RW is because Mo is never injured and plays 90 mins most games), doesn't mean they can't play there as cover, and be good enough. I'm certain they can and would be (and we have Doak coming though so he'll get minutes).

Nobody has back ups for every position and Jota, Diaz and Gakpo, wherever they have predominantly played (and having only played a matter of minutes at RW is because Mo is never injured and plays 90 mins most games), doesn't mean they can't play there as cover, and be good enough. I'm certain they can and would be (and we have Doak coming though so he'll get minutes).
Except City

It's a fucking travesty really, if the fans had been told that 2-3 years down the line, heading into August we would be here with Gomez and Matip as our 3/4 choice CB's, there would have been murder. They're getting away with murder. Great stadium work, great manager, commercial side improved and we've signed some brilliant players, but the blueprint is hitting a point where it's not enough. Especially when we've not had any big stars to sell for big money and that's clearly where the hole in the budget is.

I personally would have been fine with it. 2-3 years ago Gomez seemed like a world-class prospect at CB and Matip as 4th choice is not bad at all on paper. The problem is they both were terrible last season and we as fans don’t have confidence in any CBs besides VVD and Konate.

I personally would have been fine with it. 2-3 years ago Gomez seemed like a world-class prospect at CB and Matip as 4th choice is not bad at all on paper. The problem is they both were terrible last season and we as fans don’t have confidence in any CBs besides VVD and Konate.
Absolutely true, amd I find it really hard how Gomez form has dropped so much, he was outstanding in that home game against City. But the home game against Real Madrid, I just dont get it how bad he wqs, all the mistakes in that game you can never forget. The problem with Gomez, is that I think he has to bring his A game to nearly every game to be effective, otherwise unlike Konate and VVD who can play their B game and manage - Gomez just cant do it.

Our squad is fine. Is it the best in the league? No. We don't spend the most. Is it the best it can be for what we've spent? Probably.

The prospect of getting rid of Konate is fucking insane.

Either stop playing Championship Manager or start supporting Man City. Otherwise, fuck yourself.

This is the point of the season where the crazies be whipping themselves into a frenzy about everything.

Our squad is fine. Is it the best in the league? No. We don't spend the most. Is it the best it can be for what we've spent? Probably.

The prospect of getting rid of Konate is fucking insane.

Either stop playing Championship Manager or start supporting Man City. Otherwise, fuck yourself.

Why is it "fucking insane" to get rid of a player whose time on the pitch is limited by injury? As I said if his injury spells mirrors 22/23, I would 100% sell him for around £70m+. FSG are shit bags, you won't get much change out of them to fix the CB issues. I've already hard certain pundits saying there will be no CB additions unless its really required. They probably think Jarell Quansah is a good enough back-up after his performances against the German farmers.

NB Fuck you too!!!

No-one's going to sign him for 70M. His injury record isn't as bad as you suggest. Step away from the cool aid you whop dong and watch him excel next season.
Player prices are hyper inflated. Pretty sure PSG or one of the Saudi clubs will cough up. I want him to have a season where isn't plagued by injuries as I now believe after Lavia, our transfer window 8s closed!

Why is it "fucking insane" to get rid of a player whose time on the pitch is limited by injury? As I said if his injury spells mirrors 22/23, I would 100% sell him for around £70m+. FSG are shit bags, you won't get much change out of them to fix the CB issues. I've already hard certain pundits saying there will be no CB additions unless its really required. They probably think Jarell Quansah is a good enough back-up after his performances against the German farmers.

NB Fuck you too!!!

If you think he's worth 70m despite being a permacrock, how much do you think he'd be worth of healthy?

So you think he has enough talent to be worth more than Virgil or Gvardiol and he's beginning to emerge as a key player in the team and he might be the key to unlocking Trent's hybrid role...

... And we should sell him.

Got it.

We bought virgil 6 years ago for what was then a world record fee of £75m, intodays market what would that be? You asked me what I would value an injury free Konate... and I told you £100m. Ibou is young, tall, strong and is an exceptionally good defender with Prem experience.. and the going rate for player of those traits around £100m. Enzo Fernandes, Rice, Moises etc... are just 3 examples.

We bought virgil 6 years ago for what was then a world record fee of £75m, intodays market what would that be? You asked me what I would value an injury free Konate... and I told you £100m. Ibou is young, tall, strong and is an exceptionally good defender with Prem experience.. and the going rate for player of those traits around £100m. Enzo Fernandes, Rice, Moises etc... are just 3 examples.

Find a defender for me who has actually sold in that price range.

Find a defender for me who has actually sold in that price range.
Before we paid £66m for Alisson, what was the record fee for a goal keeper.
You could argue VVD and McGuire cost more than £100m in today's money.
Wesley Fofana cost Chelsea £75m despite being a certified crock.
If Konate proves me wrong and isn't sidelined with injury issues, then I am happy to see him continue in his role. If however, he misses half the season due to injury, I'd like him sold. I'd like to think we could get £70m but we will never know because Klopp will keep the Ibou regardless of my thoughts. So stop stressing!

Absolutely true, amd I find it really hard how Gomez form has dropped so much, he was outstanding in that home game against City. But the home game against Real Madrid, I just dont get it how bad he wqs, all the mistakes in that game you can never forget. The problem with Gomez, is that I think he has to bring his A game to nearly every game to be effective, otherwise unlike Konate and VVD who can play their B game and manage - Gomez just cant do it.
Does he even have an A game though? All too often we have seen reports like this (from July 2022, and he went on to have a season like that...). I want to believe but when he gets on the pitch he is horrendus. He has looked brilliant at times, but he has to sustain it for the entire game. He can't seem to do it.

You are right the City game was probably the only game in the entire season he didn't put foot wrong. In all the other games he has played, it's just inexplicable error after error.

I can't believe we are going into this season with him still around.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/liverpool-joe-gomez-training-video-20220725

Before we paid £66m for Alisson, what was the record fee for a goal keeper.
You could argue VVD and McGuire cost more than £100m in today's money.
Wesley Fofana cost Chelsea £75m despite being a certified crock.
If Konate proves me wrong and isn't sidelined with injury issues, then I am happy to see him continue in his role. If however, he misses half the season due to injury, I'd like him sold. I'd like to think we could get £70m but we will never know because Klopp will keep the Ibou regardless of my thoughts. So stop stressing!

So, no then.
I rest my case.

If Fofana went for £75m who was a known crock, and Ibou with out any shadow of doubt better, give me your market value of Ibou?
At the same time Badiashile went for a more respectable 30-35m…..Last season Mukiele went for about 15m….Varane 2 seasons went for 40m…..Ibou is probably only worth 50m max right now.

But West Ham’s offer was £20m…..you think Utd are gonna get that for him do you?
The point is the market is fucked... So me putting a valuation of £70m is not unreasonable on Ibou, after all, Chelsea paid £100m for Mudryk, £105m for Enzo and £75m for an injury prone Fofana. Man U paid £55m for Mount even though he was in the last year of his contract, and could have waited till Jan. That's my point...

The point is the market is fucked... So me putting a valuation of £70m is not unreasonable on Ibou, after all, Chelsea paid £100m for Mudryk, £105m for Enzo and £75m for an injury prone Fofana. Man U paid £55m for Mount even though he was in the last year of his contract, and could have waited till Jan. That's my point...

Ok but 2 clubs don't run the entire market do they? Those 2 clubs aren't going to be in for EVERY player on the market.

Your idea is to look at anything and everything Chelsea do and using that one barometer and the be all and end all.

Newcastle signed Botman for 35m, Arsenal signed both Gabriel and Saliba for 25-30m, City signed Akanji for 15m, Villa have just signed Pau Torres for 30-35m....I'm not making these up as I go....plenty of examples here to overrule/override your "look what Chelsea paid for Fofana"

Ok but 2 clubs don't run the entire market do they? Those 2 clubs aren't going to be in for EVERY player on the market.

Your idea is to look at anything and everything Chelsea do and using that one barometer and the be all and end all.

Newcastle signed Botman for 35m, Arsenal signed both Gabriel and Saliba for 25-30m, City signed Akanji for 15m, Villa have just signed Pau Torres for 30-35m....I'm not making these up as I go....plenty of examples here to overrule/override your "look what Chelsea paid for Fofana"
If Ibou goes on the market, would Chelsea, PSG and Man City (who are losing La Porte) be interested? Knowing that, would you only ask for £50m or ask something ridiculous and see what the counter is?

If Ibou goes on the market, would Chelsea, PSG and Man City (who are losing La Porte) be interested? Knowing that, would you only ask for £50m or ask something ridiculous and see what the counter is?

Chelsea would be interested - because they’re interested in buying everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom