• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let’s give them a Kaning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment it feels like the only way this (slightly odd) system with TAA playing a quasi-midfielder works - at least against very good attacking sides - is if we become more like City or the Liverpool of a couple years ago - feared and in possession for most of the game. Tall order.

I missed some of the game but there was one moment in the second half where we tried to press Spurs deep in their own half with 4-5 players more or less in the LF position... of course they broke on us with and we lacked numbers at the back. That time they didn't get through and a couple managed to get back in time (Salah maybe)... but this constant dicing with death is a problem Klopp will have to solve somehow in the summer.
To be fair, even City struggle with Spurs' counter attack.

Spurs are one of the best in Europe at sitting deep and breaking the lines via Kane to counter attack.

It depends on how quickly it all comes together and whether certain other players can recapture their form.

If we compare the team now to the team from a few years ago then you could say there are question marks all over the pitch.

Teams used to break through occasionally in the past but found it was largely pointless up against VVD. The VVD of today is nowhere near the same player. Konate is injury prone. Matip needs replacing and Gomez is as erratic as ever, at least without a run of games and someone to babysit him. Robertson is also well short of the consistent 8/10 performances we'd average from him.

Up front Salah is still putting up good numbers but teams aren't scared of him in the way they used to be. Gakpo is looking good but he's still learning, Jota still needs to prove he can stay fit over teh course of the season and Nunez is a walking, talking (though not in English) question mark.

I think Klopp can ultimately make it work and tie everything together but we really need to start knocking it out of the park in the transfer market.

I am wondering if there is a possibility that Nunez can be shipped out. I read this in an article about Ciro Immobile.

"Immobile seemed too rushed to make an impression with Borussia Dortmund and probably strayed from what made him successful in an attempt to win the starting striker spot. He was constantly wasting opportunities with rushed shots from distance and in the end lost the trust of Jurgen Klopp and the club."

Dortmund spent quite a bit of money on him before he was relegated to the bench in the second half of the season and then shipped out on loan at the end of the season. From my memory, Klopp replaced him with Auba and that initiated the comeback from Dortmund that season. Some parallels to Gakpo and Nunez or maybe I am reading too much as I am ignorant of everything that went on.

Four four two seem to suggest that Nunez experiment is over. They might also be reading too much into Klopp's quote but unless Nunez improves in certain aspects, not sure I see how he fits into the role.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/has-jurgen-klopp-shelved-liverpools-darwin-nunez-experiment

If that experiment is over, maybe Klopp should eat some 65 million of humble pie and trust more in the recruitment team

Klopp is giving Nunez all the help he can, now it's on Nunez to show klopp he's taking it in

I really hope so. There is a superb footballer in there, but is he too stupid?
Being stupid is not necessarily a bar to being a top striker

iu

Kane is the best striker in the PL after Haaland.
And they have different skill sets so, not one on one comparable either.

I am wondering if there is a possibility that Nunez can be shipped out. I read this in an article about Ciro Immobile.

"Immobile seemed too rushed to make an impression with Borussia Dortmund and probably strayed from what made him successful in an attempt to win the starting striker spot. He was constantly wasting opportunities with rushed shots from distance and in the end lost the trust of Jurgen Klopp and the club."

Dortmund spent quite a bit of money on him before he was relegated to the bench in the second half of the season and then shipped out on loan at the end of the season. From my memory, Klopp replaced him with Auba and that initiated the comeback from Dortmund that season. Some parallels to Gakpo and Nunez or maybe I am reading too much as I am ignorant of everything that went on.

Four four two seem to suggest that Nunez experiment is over. They might also be reading too much into Klopp's quote but unless Nunez improves in certain aspects, not sure I see how he fits into the role.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/has-jurgen-klopp-shelved-liverpools-darwin-nunez-experiment

I’d be inclined to sell if we could recoup most of our outlay.

I’d be inclined to sell if we could recoup most of our outlay.

I like Darwin and hope for the best, but I'd be inclined to consider this, too.

We just have such fine margins when it comes to transfers that we can't afford to mess up big ones.

It's a shame you can post a snip it image on here.

If you pause at exactly a minute in, can someone explain where Ibou is going and how 1 pass from Skipp that deep cuts through 5 of our players?

Nunez has scored 15 goals and has 4 assists in his first season , and you want to sell him for who exactly?
I'll remind you, Jota is always a game away from being out for 3 months. Salah goes on 3 month baron runs, and he isn't going anywhere. Bobby is leaving and there is no one else coming in. Any young replacement half as good as Nunez will cost £100m.
Nunez will hit 30+ goals in all comps next season. The attack isn't the issue, it's Fab, Hendo and VVD

Sorry but anyone suggesting we even consider selling Darwin is out their god damn minds.

The guy is going to be world class, he's had a brilliant season in his first season trying to adapt.....he still needs to adapt to a few things here and there but nothing that can't be done sooner than later. He's 23 ffs.

Well, I guess that's us told, huh @keniget ?

His numbers are fine. Where we are in the table isn't. Having an 80m striker on the bench with no clear understanding of what position he plays, doesn't speak the language, and hasn't learned to press is a concern.

His numbers are fine. Where we are in the table isn't. Having an 80m striker on the bench with no clear understanding of what position he plays, doesn't speak the language, and hasn't learned to press is a concern.

I'm hoping a second season turnaround like grealish had happens.

He's still a viable option, and still could be good for us if the midfield fixes it's shit over the summer. However I do agree the English and tactical knowledge needs to come sooner rather than later; as he has it all in his locker

I'm hoping a second season turnaround like grealish had happens.

He's still a viable option, and still could be good for us if the midfield fixes it's shit over the summer. However I do agree the English and tactical knowledge needs to come sooner rather than later; as he has it all in his locker

He's a potential beast. He's world class or Andy Carroll. There is no in between imo.

I love the dopey fucker but we really can't afford for him to fail.

As I said before on another thread, he'd be 6th choice if Firmino wasn't injured. Diaz is only just back from a long term injury and is already starting over him. Jota had been in awful form, but his pressing was enough to start him instead (and now Jota is scoring again, so it's not even a tough decision).

We've been here before with other expensive failures like Cisse and Babel. Quick, scores the odd goal, and thick. Each had their own little fan support group claiming they'd come good and any criticism unwarranted as they scored goals.

Yet some of the people backing him are also the same that have wrote of Jones and Elliott who are both younger and didn't have the fee of a world class player. Or wrote of Gakpo in that horrible poll.

Maybe he gets smarter with his positioning, develops a first touch, and improves his finishing over the summer. But it seems like an awful lot to ask, and I'd sell in a heartbeat if we could get most of the fee back.

As I said before on another thread, he'd be 6th choice if Firmino wasn't injured. Diaz is only just back from a long term injury and is already starting over him. Jota had been in awful form, but his pressing was enough to start him instead (and now Jota is scoring again, so it's not even a tough decision).

We've been here before with other expensive failures like Cisse and Babel. Quick, scores the odd goal, and thick. Each had their own little fan support group claiming they'd come good and any criticism unwarranted as they scored goals.

Yet some of the people backing him are also the same that have wrote of Jones and Elliott who are both younger and didn't have the fee of a world class player. Or wrote of Gakpo in that horrible poll.

Maybe he gets smarter with his positioning, develops a first touch, and improves his finishing over the summer. But it seems like an awful lot to ask, and I'd sell in a heartbeat if we could get most of the fee back.

We can only hope that a) Klopp has a great record with strikers and b) his track record with a Polish striker who had a worse goal tally than Darwin in his first season, in a more settled team too.

I still hold out hope for him, and I was 'too early to tell on Gakpo' !

We can only hope that a) Klopp has a great record with strikers and b) his track record with a Polish striker who had a worse goal tally than Darwin in his first season, in a more settled team too.

I still hold out hope for him, and I was 'too early to tell on Gakpo' !

Lots of similarities between a 21 year old signed for 400k from the Polish league and one of the most expensive players in the world.

We are 5th and he was scoring when Jota and Diaz were out. Bobby was in and out due to injury and Salah would go on long dry spells. The defence, MF and Klopp’s tactics is why we are not challenging and of course the miserly conduct of the owners.
We have 5 attackers going into next season, we play 3 upfront, all of them now are worth £80m in today's market. It's wonderful headache for any manager to have and with so many more games due to Europa League Cup we are going to need all 5 of them
What we need is to sort out the MF and get a CB too, as my confidence in VVD is waning.

Lots of similarities between a 21 year old signed for 400k from the Polish league and one of the most expensive players in the world.

Cost created the expectation, but not really relevant as nothing we can do. He's our player and I'm comparing him to Klopp's last great goalscoring CF whom he transformed after his first season (I cannot say struggles as I remember zero of the young Pole).

Other things to factor in:
Language barrier
Decent (?) first season (doesn't match expectations but in terms of goals and assists), like with Benfica, where he improved greatly in his 2nd season.
A manager who works wonders with forward players.

I doubt we're getting a good enough offer to sell, so he's part of the front 5 rotation next year.

Blackburn nearly signed lewa FFS. Shows his level at the time. Klopp made him a monster

I think for our front line we need minimum 5 players. He'll get games and get goals
& we have that. A very good front 5 in our forward line to pick from.

Klopp seems to be wrapped up in his obsession over counter pressing, Darwin can press just as well as any of the front lads. Build a relationship with him and talk to him.

Indeed.

How is he supposed to become this monster if he can’t get into the team. Gakpo appears to be the preferred option up top and Diaz and Jota are preferred on the left.

As I’ve said before, right now he’s a very expensive Origi. A CF who can kinda play out wide but not in the way we really want.

You can make the argument that it’s good to have options but 65M for us means starter.

"expensive Origi", come on man don't disrespect Nunez like that...Nunez is a far bigger threat than Origi ever was and never got near to the number of goals Nunez has now. Nunez only gets better and with a bit of luck gets 25-30 goals a season EASY.

Gakpo Diaz and Jota weren't exactly 10-20m signings, all were brought in with the intention of being starters too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom