• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=39257.msg1069121#msg1069121 date=1268567730]
I think you should put another goalkeeper in Oncy.
[/quote]You should see the bench! Yowzers!
I've also drawn up a brilliant scene that involves Lucas and Mascherano occupying only the space in the D of the penalty box, I figure that plus (rm) Deadly playing narrow and Gerrard and Maxi squeezing back to the edge of the 6 yard box should free up enough space for (cf) deadly to be able to sit about 40 yards out from goal to stop their centre backs pressing towards the halfway line.
I've got this Sussed kid.

Subs of course pre-planned - Maxi off on 61mins for Cavalieri to shore up any ground lost to the Portsmouth widemen.
Gerrard off 71mins. It was all just getting a bit open out there, with Gerrard at one point appearing to look over the halfway line. Plessis on.
(cf) Deadly of on 91mins with the score tied at 0-0 success just two minutes of injury time away, time to use some extreme pace to push on for the win aquilani on.

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=39257.msg1069125#msg1069125 date=1268569670]
hahahaa plessis is the one thing that could possibly make the season into an even bigger joke
[/quote]

I seem to remember some people on here wanted Plessis in the centre of our midfield ahead of Lucas. I might do some digging when I have a bit more time.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39257.msg1069124#msg1069124 date=1268569031]
I've also drawn up a brilliant scene that involves Lucas and Mascherano occupying only the space in the D of the penalty box, I figure that plus (rm) Deadly playing narrow and Gerrard and Maxi squeezing back to the edge of the 6 yard box should free up enough space for (cf) deadly to be able to sit about 40 yards out from goal to stop their centre backs pressing towards the halfway line.

Subs of course pre-planned - Maxi off on 61mins for Cavalieri to shore up any ground lost to the Portsmouth widemen.
Gerrard off 71mins. It was all just getting a bit open out there, with Gerrard at one point appearing to look over the halfway line. Plessis on.
(cf) Deadly of on 91mins with the score tied at 0-0 success just two minutes of injury time away, time to use some extreme pace to push on for the win aquilani on.
[/quote]

Classic.

Ryan's gone very quiet lately.

Reina

Johnson Carra Agger Insua

Mascher Aqua

Maxi Gerrard Riera

Torres

Thats the team I would play. Nice balance, a bit of pace and creativity. And that team would win!!

This is the team Rafa will play;

Reina

Johnson Carra Agger Insua

Lucas Mascher

Kuyt Gerrard Maxi

Torres

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=39257.msg1068428#msg1068428 date=1268400343]
Ha! Ryan actually thinks he's the only person on this forum who *really* watches football, doesn't he? If only the rest of us had experienced top-flight semi-professional Australian soccer and knew just how many defensive midfielders it takes to make a team that can score four goals in a single match...

[/quote]

Missed this earlier.

Let me clear this up for you Bunny... I'm a pretty ordinary footballer, not great at all. Never have been or will be. I suspect I'm barely better than some other posters on this forum in terms of ability on a pitch. Hope that's enough for you.

I have though been fortunate, really really fortunate to play with and against some superb footballers, guys that have played in top leagues all over the World. But more significantly for some brilliant Managers. Guys that have also managed teams all over the world, played in World Cups, played at the absolute top level themselves, and thus have incredible knowledge at their disposal.

Playing 5 days a week for 15 odd years for these guys, listening to their approach, implementing their set-ups, adapting to defensive methods (I was zonal marking at corners 13 years go), standing on training grounds going through shape after shape after more fucking shape for years, and adjusting to trends in the game... Have all had their effect.

That, and from a personal perspective - being interested in the tactical side of the game. I find it fascinating, I read about it, think about it, look forward to themes, discussions, strategies covering it. If Holland played like that in 1974 I want to know why. Why did Hungary destroy England at Wembley 50 years ago? If Rafa, one of the World's best managers takes off a striker and brings on a midfielder I prefer to try and understand why he's doing that than to call him "a defensive cunt". How Man Utd got to be the second best team in Europe last year by playing without a centre-froward? How 3 years ago they were the best team in the World after selling a 30-a-season striker and spending the transfer fee on a defensive midfielder in Carrick. That interests me Bunny. If it bores you and others into labelling me a "chalkboard whopper" I'll live.

So, to sum up, cos I'm waffling like fuck. When I see a formation stuck up here that is anathema to modern day football, a side that has one defensive midfielder and 4 attacking ones, a team of players that have never played togethor before in a formation that they've never once deployed, all binded by monstrous criticisms of the Manager for not deploying such tactics, I find it a struggle. For pretty fucking obvious reasons. Shoot me.

One other thing I forgot to say: the best thread on this site right now is the '6 Nations one' in Other Sports. I know very VERY little about Rugby, but reading that thread has upped my knowledge of the game significantly. The discussions, insight and thought that are in that thread exceed anything ever put down in this Forum. Which is a fucking crying shame for a football forum.

If we played the team that Ryan reacted so strongly to, we'd be hearing again and again and again how Insua got fucking raped tomorrow.

Babel ahead of Insua in a narrow formation? Ryan's actually right on this one, I think. What could we possibly use to consider how Portsmouth might set up against us? Oh, I don't know, the last game where they chiefly played it down the flanks, did so quite easily, and beat us 2-0? So you suggest we respond by playing a narrow team that would mostly play through the center, and would rely on Insua and Johnson getting forward to provide width? I'll forgive Ryan if he thinks that a bit insane.

We shouldn't be worried about Portsmouth, we should play to our strengths, we're liverpool blah blah blah. No. We are a team with abysmal confidence, and you are setting out a team that would, if we were playing very well, be a bit exposed, and are asking us to hit the ground running playing mostly narrow attacking football, and it's based on nothing. Sure that team could work, it could have a good understanding, Babel, Maxi, Torres, Aquilani, and Gerrard could start rotating in and out of wide positions in a fluid, beautiful way and play smart incisive football which both confused Portsmouth and enchanted the home crowd. But it's fucking unlikely, given we've not played that stuff all year.

But no, we shouldn't keep doing the same thing again and again, either.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39257.msg1069124#msg1069124 date=1268569031]

[/quote]

Ha.

Everyone confident ahead of the game?

I know we've been utter muck this season but i'd like to think we'll smash 3 or 4 past Pompey.

Bearing in mind their well documented problems!!

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=39257.msg1069276#msg1069276 date=1268606521]

[/quote]

Ha.
[/quote]Good lad. For the record I think you're taking some unfair stick for actually going to a bit of effort regarding your footballing posts. I like them most of the time, I don't agree with a lot of your philosophies, but then I guess we just prefer a different brand of football, neither your approach or mine being the 'correct' way.
I think the objection that some are having to your analytical posts is your inferrence that if people aren't in agreement they don't know football. You speak as if there has only ever been 1 way to play football. Only one tactic that works. Only one approach to the game that could ever succeed. And yet with the last but one post you made you nod your head towards some of the great teams of the past. Seems strange.
I love the tactical side of the game, that's the reason I collected hundreds and hundreds of football magazines for years and years, reading Calcio Italia or the Champions magazine or my favourite World soccer gives you some insight into the tactical nuances of the game, and Reading different coaches approach to the game and tactical accumen is always interesting. But I think ultimately that I tend not to have such a stoical analytical approach to Liverpool, because it's emotional and visceral rather than analytical and practical. When we lose imjust pissed off. I can't be arsed going into it with a fine toothed comb pouring over why we lost.
Anyway I hope you know I'm just taking the piss with these posts, and I hope you realise I'm probably gonna keep doing them. I'm glad you said Ha, because I wouldn't want anyone who goes to that effort to feel like it wasn't worth it. It is.

All that said you are going into your shell to much regarding YOUR tactics. We can't, we CANNOT keep doing what we are doing. Wether it is the right approach or not, our lads are not enjoying our play currently and we need to change. First and foremost we need to take a forward step. We need to put the teams we are facing on the back foot, in particular at home against the bottom clubs. I don't expect us to go to Old Trafford with a lineup like KHLs but at home against Portsmouth, we can't just roll up hoping that Torres and Gerrard will break lose of the shackles that teams are casting over those two in an attempt to stop us creating anything. We need to show some teeth, and to be honest a 4-3 defeat would feel like a forward step to me.
Aquilani needs to play this game. He just must do. Alongside one of the two holders (my choice would be Mascherano) or Moving Gerrard out to the right (where he has drifted a lot of the time of late anyway) and dropping Kuyt who is off form terribly and cannot afford to be. Ideally I'd like to see the 442 that I posted earlier, if only to suprise the opposition and not go into every game with the opposing manager knowing what he is going to face.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39257.msg1069313#msg1069313 date=1268611342]

[/quote]

Ha.
[/quote]Good lad. For the record I think you're taking some unfair stick for actually going to a bit of effort regarding your footballing posts. I like them most of the time, I don't agree with a lot of your philosophies, but then I guess we just prefer a different brand of football, neither your approach or mine being the 'correct' way.
I think the objection that some are having to your analytical posts is your inferrence that if people aren't in agreement they don't know football. You speak as if there has only ever been 1 way to play football. Only one tactic that works. Only one approach to the game that could ever succeed. And yet with the last but one post you made you nod your head towards some of the great teams of the past. Seems strange.
I love the tactical side of the game, that's the reason I collected hundreds and hundreds of football magazines for years and years, reading Calcio Italia or the Champions magazine or my favourite World soccer gives you some insight into the tactical nuances of the game, and Reading different coaches approach to the game and tactical accumen is always interesting. But I think ultimately that I tend not to have such a stoical analytical approach to Liverpool, because it's emotional and visceral rather than analytical and practical. When we lose imjust pissed off. I can't be arsed going into it with a fine toothed comb pouring over why we lost.
Anyway I hope you know I'm just taking the piss with these posts, and I hope you realise I'm probably gonna keep doing them. I'm glad you said Ha, because I wouldn't want anyone who goes to that effort to feel like it wasn't worth it. It is.

All that said you are going into your shell to much regarding YOUR tactics. We can't, we CANNOT keep doing what we are doing. Wether it is the right approach or not, our lads are not enjoying our play currently and we need to change. First and foremost we need to take a forward step. We need to put the teams we are facing on the back foot, in particular at home against the bottom clubs. I don't expect us to go to Old Trafford with a lineup like KHLs but at home against Portsmouth, we can't just roll up hoping that Torres and Gerrard will break lose of the shackles that teams are casting over those two in an attempt to stop us creating anything. We need to show some teeth, and to be honest a 4-3 defeat would feel like a forward step to me.
Aquilani needs to play this game. He just must do. Alongside one of the two holders (my choice would be Mascherano) or Moving Gerrard out to the right (where he has drifted a lot of the time of late anyway) and dropping Kuyt who is off form terribly and cannot afford to be. Ideally I'd like to see the 442 that I posted earlier, if only to suprise the opposition and not go into every game with the opposing manager knowing what he is going to face.
[/quote]

I knew you were having a laugh mate, s'fine. No worries at all. There's probably truth in a lot of what you say, and cheers for bluntly pointing it out.

As for "only one tactic that works" - Well I obviously don't think that mate, I'm not naive, narrow-minded, stubborn, or clueless. Not saying anyone else is either.
With this team, or actually with our players - that formation (4-2-3-1/4-5-1 or whatever you want to put it) works. Sure it's not been working recently, but we've had the more important players in that system - Agger, Carra, Gerrard, Masher, Kuyt, Torres, johnson - just not playing with each other (!) enough this season. Confidence has quite a bit to do with it as well, but in my honest opinion - If that group of players had played regularly in the same team all season long, we'd be in the Top 4 and in the Champions League. I honestly believe that.

4-4-2 jst won't work in the long-term, for tactical and personnel reasons. so bar the very odd occassion, I don't want to see us playing with it. I'd prefer to see us get one system that we know works from past history back, than chop and change between systems that don't suit us.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=39257.msg1069318#msg1069318 date=1268612195]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39257.msg1069313#msg1069313 date=1268611342]

[/quote]

Ha.

[/quote]

I knew you were having a laugh mate, s'fine. No worries at all. There's probably truth in a lot of what you say, and cheers for bluntly pointing it out.

As for "only one tactic that works" - Well I obviously don't think that mate, I'm not naive, narrow-minded, stubborn, or clueless. Not saying anyone else is either.
With this team, or actually with our players - that formation (4-2-3-1/4-5-1 or whatever you want to put it) works. Sure it's not been working recently, but we've had the more important players in that system - Agger, Carra, Gerrard, Masher, Kuyt, Torres, johnson - just not playing with each other (!) enough this season. Confidence has quite a bit to do with it as well, but in my honest opinion - If that group of players had played regularly in the same team all season long, we'd be in the Top 4 and in the Champions League. I honestly believe that.

4-4-2 jst won't work in the long-term, for tactical and personnel reasons. so bar the very odd occassion, I don't want to see us playing with it. I'd prefer to see us get one system that we know works from past history back, than chop and change between systems that don't suit us.
[/quote]I agree. 4-3-3 is certainly my preferred formation. My problem with it is that we currently have 4 players suited to playing in the middle of the front 3 (gerrard, aquilani, benayoun and arguably Babel) 1 who is suited to the right (Kuyt) who is at present terribly off form and 1 who is suited to the left (Riera) who is out of favour.
I'd like us to switch to 4-4-2 for this game simply because we can play Babel or Kuyt up front with Torres to give him more space. And I don't give a fuck what Portsmouth bring. We can play 442 we should play 442. But we won't.
Here's the team and formation almost as sure as night follows day.
Reina
insua
agger
carragher
Johnson

Lucas
mascherano

maxi
gerrard
kuyt

torres.

Maybe aquilani will get the nod ahead of Lucas but I doubt it.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=39257.msg1069324#msg1069324 date=1268613002]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=39257.msg1069318#msg1069318 date=1268612195]

[/quote]

Ha.

[/quote]

[/quote]I agree. 4-3-3 is certainly my preferred formation. My problem with it is that we currently have 4 players suited to playing in the middle of the front 3 (gerrard, aquilani, benayoun and arguably Babel) 1 who is suited to the right (Kuyt) who is at present terribly off form and 1 who is suited to the left (Riera) who is out of favour.
I'd like us to switch to 4-4-2 for this game simply because we can play Babel or Kuyt up front with Torres to give him more space. And I don't give a fuck what Portsmouth bring. We can play 442 we should play 442. But we won't.
Here's the team and formation almost as sure as night follows day.
Reina
insua
agger
carragher
Johnson

Lucas
mascherano

maxi
gerrard
kuyt

torres.

Maybe aquilani will get the nod ahead of Lucas but I doubt it.
[/quote]

Form fluctuates, and certaing players have been good one day, and bad the next. Certanly some players could be doing more than they have been of late. The one problem I've had all season long though is the pace and tempo we've been playing at. Everything has been done too one-paced, and been ultimately predictable. We're not going to solve that in one game, certainly not when were as far from confidence as we are. Now there are a million reasons why I think that's been the case this season - Alonso, defence playing too deep, lack of a cutting edge up front when Torres is otu, confidence, injuries, etc etc. What I would do though is try to get around that by releasing certain players from defensive responsibilities so that they can try and do things quikcly. Like we did with Babel the other night.

I know people have concerns over an Insua-Babel left wing, and rightly so, but if you play two holding midfielders you counter that issue somewhat. (As an aisde, two holding midfielders helps Glenjo's attacking impetus greatly too). The Babel equation's simple - you don't ask him for defensive offerings, you get more going forward. Simple stuff, but then he's a simple character.

If you go with Babel, you can't play Aquilani in my view. Just my opinion again, but if you're asking Mascherano to cover Gerrard, Babel, Insua, Johnson, and Aquilani you're asking for trouble. I don't want us to be defensive, I want us to allow our attacking players to attack.

I'd play the same team, and importantly - formation - as the one that played away to Lille. And I think Rafa might too.

I'm struggling to decide who watches more football - Ryan or keni.

I get the impression ryan would have no problems sitting through a division 3 no score draw. God bless you man, why don't you apply for a coaching badge and manage some kids?

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=39257.msg1069349#msg1069349 date=1268615547]
I'm struggling to decide who watches more football - Ryan or keni.

I get the impression ryan would have no problems sitting through a division 3 no score draw. God bless you man, why don't you apply for a coaching badge and manage some kids?
[/quote]

Cos I'd be a fucking dreadful manager.

As for watching anything, well yes I would and do. The only probelm with football on TV is the camera angle isn't wide enough. It zooms in whomever's in possession, and anyone that's within 10 yards of that. I'd prefer to see the entire pitch, but hey ho.

[quote author=franklyfrank link=topic=39257.msg1069301#msg1069301 date=1268610612]

I know we've been utter muck this season but i'd like to think we'll smash 3 or 4 past Pompey.

[/quote]

Confident ? Is a word that long lost in my mind as long as the current manager still in charge.

Just for the novelty of it, Portsmouth:

Likely to go with (my opinion, so don't fucking shoot me if it doesn't turn out to be the team) this...

-----------------------JAMES----------------------------

FINNAN-----ROCHA-----BEN HAIM-----HREIDARSSON

--------------------MULLINS/MOKOENA----------------

DINDANE--------BROWN-----O'HARA-----BELHADJ

-------------------------PIQUIONNE--------------------

There are pieces of talent in there in Dindane, Belhadj and Piquionne - the rest are ordinary footballers held togethor by a fairly decent and rigid formation that Grant's got them playing. I watched them at Burnley and they held their shape pretty well for 90 minutes, and managed to snatch a winner. It's what they'll try tonight no doubt. If we're on form, we'll win. If not, they could do us on a set-piece or something.

They're 14/1 to win, 4/1 the draw. Fill yer boots.

Is Rocha suspended for this? Poor sod has been sent off in consecutive games. I though 2 red cards usually mean a longer suspension.

We really should win this game, to be honest. Belhadj's pace might trouble Johnson, and Michael Fucking Brown might rile up our players but other than that, we should beat them.

Nice response Ryan. And FWIW, I also get frustrated by posters stating baldly that all we need to do is pick all our attacking players and drop Lucas. Clearly it isn't that simple. But what made me laugh at/despair of you was your verdict on the Lille match. It just felt like you'd lowered your expectations so much that almost anything (spineless, ultra-defensive defeat to a very average team) could be considered a positive. It felt, in other words, like the kind of thing Rafa - or, indeed, Paul Tompkins - would write. I like you as a poster because you bring a bit of balance to these discussions, but I do think you overdo that side of it sometimes. In the end, you're a fan: you can't seriously be *that* pragmatic and reasonable when you're watching us lose, can you?

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=39257.msg1069420#msg1069420 date=1268639981]
Nice response Ryan. And FWIW, I also get frustrated by posters stating baldly that all we need to do is pick all our attacking players and drop Lucas. Clearly it isn't that simple. But what made me laugh at/despair of you was your verdict on the Lille match. It just felt like you'd lowered your expectations so much that almost anything (spineless, ultra-defensive defeat to a very average team) could be considered a positive. It felt, in other words, like the kind of thing Rafa - or, indeed, Paul Tompkins - would write. I like you as a poster because you bring a bit of balance to these discussions, but I do think you overdo that side of it sometimes. In the end, you're a fan: you can't seriously be *that* pragmatic and reasonable when you're watching us lose, can you?

[/quote]

Well I was pretty critical in the post-match Wigan thread mate. I guess I didn't think we were that bad on Thursday night, still don't. We missed enough chances to win the game.

Cheers.

I´d go for:

----------------Reina-------------
Johnson-Carragher-Agger-Insua (huh)
Benayoun-Mascherano-Gerrard-Babel
---------------Aquilani----------------
---------------Torres-----------------

Ryan for what it's worth I often read your posts with great interest. It's obvious that you've got more than a few interesting points to share so please keep up the good posting.

That said I do feel you've been somewhat cautiounized (?) by Rafa's at times extremely cautious approach.

I've got a feeling he'll go for their throats tonight (Pompeys that is) and we'll field a very attacking-minded team. Maybe not including Aqui but everyone else I suggested in my formation at least. Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Insua, Masher, Maxi, Gerrard, Babel and Torres.

Don't get me wrong it's more adventourous than what we've seen of late but at home in a must win game at this stage of the Season there's no reason to hold back.

I'm feeling extremely confident ahead of tonight and I'm feeling assured that we'll see a few changes compared to the Wigan and Lille game (the latter wasnt' by any means an abysmal performance but a player like Kuyt really looked terrible once again hence Ryan should get the nod and I'm positive Maxi will).

Bottomline is maybe it's a bit bolder than what we would expect but I for one wouldn't be to surprised to see Rafa going all-in for this one tonight. He simply has to.

Can I just say from the bottom of my heart - We'll BATTER them tonight.

This is on.

[quote author=franklyfrank link=topic=39257.msg1069301#msg1069301 date=1268610612]

[/quote]

I'm confident we will win, and win well.

Pompey have nothing to lose, we will be as nervous as kittens. It won't be a game for the faint hearted.

We open the scoring early and the floodgates will open, they score first - it will be a long night.

I wouldn't bet on this match, completely unpredictable - both sides.

I keep waiting for us to improve this season. And waiting. And waiting. In previous seasons we've always suffered a slight slump but managed to dig ourselves out of it and then we seem to have played well. That hasn't happened this season. There are several reasons for it of course. Injuries, buying £20m midfielders who Rafa refuses to play when really the money would have been better spent on a striker. Lack of form. Lack of tactical flexibility. Complete lack of self respect and pride.

The problem still remains though - we're stuck in a complete rut of form and lack of confidence that we're unable to shake out of. I expect the usual tonight. The crowd will start out relatively noisy - we're pissed off, we want a performance. Slowly but surely the life will be strangled out of the crowd through a drab display playing right into the oppositions hands. We may win the game if we're lucky. I do hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom