• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=39257.msg1069457#msg1069457 date=1268646871]
I keep waiting for us to improve this season. And waiting. And waiting. In previous seasons we've always suffered a slight slump but managed to dig ourselves out of it and then we seem to have played well. That hasn't happened this season. There are several reasons for it of course. Injuries, buying £20m midfielders who Rafa refuses to play when really the money would have been better spent on a striker. Lack of form. Lack of tactical flexibility. Complete lack of self respect and pride.

The problem still remains though - we're stuck in a complete rut of form and lack of confidence that we're unable to shake out of. I expect the usual tonight. The crowd will start out relatively noisy - we're pissed off, we want a performance. Slowly but surely the life will be strangled out of the crowd through a drab display playing right into the oppositions hands. We may win the game if we're lucky. I do hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]

I keep thinking when we win a match, here it is we will kick on and put a solid run together, but it seems we have had our run when we went 9 unbeaten.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=39257.msg1069461#msg1069461 date=1268647713]
We didnt even play well during that run though did we?

[/quote]

we haven't played well all season, we've had a game here or there where we were excellent but never for a sustained period. we've been fucking GASH this season. its an absolute MIRACLE we're withing touching distance of the top 4. I think that says more about the other teams chasing top 4 then it does about us.

[quote author=jexykrodic link=topic=39257.msg1069451#msg1069451 date=1268645948]
We open the scoring early and the floodgates will open, they score first - it will be a long night.

[/quote]

I'm really not sure that's true. Often this season, the opposite's been true. We score, and attempt to shut up shop. We go behind, and finally begin to exert some real pressure. We stay level and drift onward aimlessly till about the 70-minute mark, when Rafa changes our LB or something.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=39257.msg1069457#msg1069457 date=1268646871]
I keep waiting for us to improve this season. And waiting. And waiting. In previous seasons we've always suffered a slight slump but managed to dig ourselves out of it and then we seem to have played well. That hasn't happened this season. There are several reasons for it of course. Injuries, buying £20m midfielders who Rafa refuses to play when really the money would have been better spent on a striker. Lack of form. Lack of tactical flexibility. Complete lack of self respect and pride.

The problem still remains though - we're stuck in a complete rut of form and lack of confidence that we're unable to shake out of. I expect the usual tonight. The crowd will start out relatively noisy - we're pissed off, we want a performance. Slowly but surely the life will be strangled out of the crowd through a drab display playing right into the oppositions hands. We may win the game if we're lucky. I do hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]

I hope (but sadly don't expect) some big team changes for tonight, because the likes of Lucas, Insua and Kuyt do not merit a place in our starting XI at the moment (in the case of the first two: not ever).

But do we have the squad to allow that? In terms of LB, tragically, inexcusably, the answer is probably not. At CM we have Purple Aqui, but I've given up all hope with him, really. Still, I'd look at playing this team:

-------------------------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------------

Magic---------------Carra---------------------------------------Agger--------------------Anyone

----------------------Masher-------------------------------------Gerrard--------------------------

---------------Casper----------------------Purple Aqui------------------------Babel----------

----------------------------------------------Torres----------------------------------------

I'd hope for some changes too Brendan. I'd rather see Aquilani than Lucas for sure to signal some attacking intent. I don't think we have any other options than Insua at LB though. I think I'd rather see Maxi as well than Yossi. Like you though I don't expect any changes. That, to me, would completely illustrate Rafas inadequacies as a manager. The system and team isn't working. Change it. It's obvious but he's too stubborn to do so.

Insua, Lucas, Kuyt, Riera and Benayoun are all god shouts for the bench tonight. Well maybe apart from Insua who's got no real competition these days.

They've all either played very poorly or contributed very little of late.

Aquilani, Babel and Maxi will hopefully play on their behalf.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39257.msg1069479#msg1069479 date=1268649804]
Insua, Lucas, Kuyt, Riera and Benayoun are all god shouts for the bench tonight. Well maybe apart from Insua who's got no real competition these days.

They've all either played very poorly or contributed very little of late.

Aquilani, Babel and Maxi will hopefully play on their behalf.
[/quote]

babel and aqua will be on the bench. we all know it.

this is what i'd play

riena

glojo carra agger insua

yossi mash purple riera

gerrard

torres

i'd play babel on the right if glojo wasn't the right back.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=39257.msg1069472#msg1069472 date=1268648628]

I hope (but sadly don't expect) some big team changes for tonight, because the likes of Lucas, Insua and Kuyt do not merit a place in our starting XI at the moment (in the case of the first two: not ever).

But do we have the squad to allow that? In terms of LB, tragically, inexcusably, the answer is probably not. At CM we have Purple Aqui, but I've given up all hope with him, really. Still, I'd look at playing this team:

----------------------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------------

MagicDarby------------Carra------------------------------Agger------------------AnyoneKelly

----------------------Masher-------------------------------------Gerrard--------------------------

CasperJohnson------------------------Purple Aqui--------------------------------Babel----------

----------------------------------------------Torres----------------------------------------
[/quote]

Pace on both wings. a more solid defence. And keeping at least one of babel/benayoun on the bench is a good idea if you consider the team that starts will almost certainly play like cunts, because of that's how they roll

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=39257.msg1069505#msg1069505 date=1268651367]
[quote author=Brendan link=topic=39257.msg1069472#msg1069472 date=1268648628]

----------------------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------------

MagicDarby------------Carra------------------------------Agger------------------AnyoneKelly

CasperJohnson------------------------Purple Aqui--------------------------------Babel----------

[/quote]

Pace on both wings. a more solid defence. And keeping at least one of babel/benayoun on the bench is a good idea if you consider the team that starts will almost certainly play like cunts, because of that's how they roll

[/quote]

Darby over Johnson?

You must be absolutely stoned.

Even if Darby wasn't loaned out to some League One club (as I reckon he is) he wouldn't get anywhere near the starting XI when Glen Johnson is fit and most rightly so.

as it is johnson attacks too much and leaves us vulnerable in defence. and kuyt doesn't get foward enough and leaves our midfield passing it sideways. that is shit. it the total opposite of how it should be.

or wasn't i paying attention, are we supposed to play our defence in midfield these days? and our midfield in defence? is that what you're saying to me?

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=39257.msg1069523#msg1069523 date=1268654056]
as it is johnson attacks too much and leaves us vulnerable in defence. and kuyt doesn't get foward enough and leaves our midfield passing it sideways. that is shit. it the total opposite of how it should be.

or wasn't i paying attention, are we supposed to play our defence in midfield these days? and our midfield in defence? is that what you're saying to me?
[/quote]
What I am saying is that your suggestion to play Darby ahead of arguably one of the best RBs in the world is nothing short of ludicrous.

The key word on the game plan and in the press afterwards: CONTROL

Rafa will strive to control the game. Not to get exposed defensively no matter what happens. Keep Pompeys under control, and try to steal a goal if the chance occurs....

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=39257.msg1069521#msg1069521 date=1268653670]
dantes is a fucking awful pundit of dreambeliever proportions.
[/quote]

dollar_v_aud_cad_chf_eur_gbp_rub.jpg

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=39257.msg1069528#msg1069528 date=1268654373]

Rafa will strive to control the game. Not to get exposed defensively no matter what happens. Keep Pompeys under control, and try to steal a goal if the chance occurs....
[/quote]
I hope and believe you are wrong.

We'll attack from the off tonight.

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=39257.msg1069530#msg1069530 date=1268654540]
[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=39257.msg1069521#msg1069521 date=1268653670]
dantes is a fucking awful pundit of dreambeliever proportions.
[/quote]

dollar_v_aud_cad_chf_eur_gbp_rub.jpg

[/quote]

you are, though.

rafa has 'guaranteed' that tonights performance will be better than the wigan debacle. will he walk if it's not? will he ever learn?

ports1.jpg

No Insua, Lucas or out of form Kuyt: Check
Solid back four: Check
Two strikers upfront: check

A case for Agger at left back:
He's good on the ball.
Has good passing range.
Much better tackler than Inusa.
Less likely to be caught out of position.

[quote author=Cerberus link=topic=39257.msg1069553#msg1069553 date=1268656848]
ports1.jpg

He's good on the ball.
Has good passing range.
[/quote]

Agger at LB is a brilliant suggestion

[quote author=Cerberus link=topic=39257.msg1069553#msg1069553 date=1268656848]
ports1.jpg

He's good on the ball.
Has good passing range.
[/quote]

Looks good to me, at home to this shower we should be able to get away with one DM. Just.

except the centre of defence then becomes old, incredibly slow and you know what will follow from that. we'll have to defend really deep and invite pressure whilst making it next to impossible for us to create much. or else we'll get caught out and hand a cheap goal to some cunt striker that hasn't scored in three seasons

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=39257.msg1069563#msg1069563 date=1268657499]
except the centre of defence then becomes old, incredibly slow and you know what will follow from that. we'll have to defend really deep and invite pressure whilst making it next to impossible for us to create much. or else we'll get caught out and hand a cheap goal to some cunt striker that hasn't scored in three seasons
[/quote]

Also a valid point, but Insua is one of the worst left-backs in the entire Premiership and on current form is costing us games.

He shouldn't play for Liverpool tonight, or ever again.

I can't see Agger play on the LB-position myself.

The only way he'll come close if we reverts to a 5-4-1 formation I reckon.

......................Carra........Kyrgiakos.........Agger.........................

Johnson...........................................................................Insua

..............................Masher.........Gerrard..................................

Maxi.................................................................................Babel

........................................Torres...............................................

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39257.msg1069568#msg1069568 date=1268657669]
I can't see Agger play on the LB-position myself.

The only way he'll come close if we reverts to a 5-4-1 formation I reckon.

......................Carra........Kyrgiakos.........Agger.........................

Johnson...........................................................................Insua

..............................Masher.........Gerrard..................................

Maxi.................................................................................Babel

........................................Torres...............................................
[/quote]

For some reason that sounds like something Benitez can do at home against rock fucking bottom Pompeys!

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=39257.msg1069532#msg1069532 date=1268654802]
[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=39257.msg1069528#msg1069528 date=1268654373]

[/quote]
I hope and believe you are wrong.

We'll attack from the off tonight.
[/quote]

You dont watch Liverpool very often do you?? Put those VHS from the glory 80 away ;)

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=39257.msg1069569#msg1069569 date=1268657700]
dantes is attempting to up his game.
[/quote]

you don't understand. dantes deals with things and theories and mathematics which are beyond your imagination. for me to discuss football with you and khl i have to lower my game a long long way.

sometimes i overshoot the mark and go too low. then you have the audacity to criticise me? how dare you place yourself above me you foolish insect. you should rather show me respect, and in a whimpering tone politely inform me that on this occasion i've lowered myself a bit too much. that is all. no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom