• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Millar on inverted winger role for Charlton – and a pace race with Bayern star Alphonso Davies
[article]Liam Millar feels he is getting joy out of playing as an inverted winger for Charlton Athletic.

The Liverpool winger is on loan with the Addicks and has played down the left despite being right-footed.

Millar provided the assist for Chuks Aneke’s goal in last Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Gillingham.

Asked about his positioning since arriving in SE7, he said: “It’s just to get closer to the goal and affect the game as much as I can. I can go outside more and put some better balls in on my left foot. But at the moment I’m doing so well going inside all the time. I can switch it up – but I think I should keep doing it because I’m doing well at it.

“I can drive in towards the goal and link up with Chuks, Jayden [Stockley or Ronnie [Schwartz].

“It’s about being more direct. I can play on the right but I feel when I’m there I’m going out wide more and down the line. I feel I’m more effective on the left.”

Millar is an international team-mate of Bayern Munich superstar Alphonso Davies.

Asked who is quicker, he replied: “We’ve never raced. Every time we’ve tried to race the coach has tried to stop us.

“I don’t know if they don’t want one to embarrass the other. Or me to embarrass him, most likely. Who knows? Jonathan David is up there too for quickness. He might not look like he’s quick but us three in a foot race would be something to watch, for sure.”

Millar has scored once for Charlton – in a 1-0 victory at Milton Keynes.

He was also credited with the winner at Bristol Rovers, only for Jake Forster-Caskey to claim it as his corner went straight in.

The Addicks midfielder said afterwards that Millar confirmed he had not got a touch.

“That’s that Canadian in me – being very honest and nice,” said the Reds youngster. “I always believe if you do the right things then better things will come for you.

“Technically on transfermarkt [website] I do have two goals [for Charlton]. Jake said he scores it, I said I score it – who knows!”[/article]

Potential (/additional) reason to keep him around the squad rather than loan him out?

[article]Harvey Elliott is enjoying the time of his life out on loan at Blackburn Rovers.

The 17-year-old has been one of the Championship’s star performers this season
, and is reaping the benefits of regular senior football.

Boasting four goals from 24 league appearances, his total of nine assists is the joint-most in the English second tier with Liverpool no doubt delighted by the success of his temporary stint at Ewood Park so far.

And it could get better yet for Elliott and for Tony Mowbray’s side with Rovers not yet out of the playoff hunt.

The Professional Football Compensation Committee ruled that the Reds should pay out a potential £4.3m to Fulham, following his signing in the summer of 2019, earlier this week with the club voicing their excitement for Elliott's future in an official statement greeting the decision.

"We now look forward to welcoming Harvey back from his loan spell with Blackburn Rovers in the summer and helping him continue to build towards a long and successful career at Anfield."

But despite his success at Blackburn, Liverpool will have to tread very carefully with the winger when he returns Merseyside.

Despite not turning 18 until April, the former Fulham youngster will no doubt have his eyes on a more prominent first team role after proving himself in the Championship.

But that is easier said than done when you play in the same position as Mohamed Salah.

Now 28, the Egyptian remains as deadly as ever for Jurgen Klopp ’s side and despite speculation regarding his future cropping up sporadically, you’d expect him to be starting his fifth season with Liverpool in the summer.

Before the coronavirus pandemic prompted an overly congested fixture list in a truncated campaign, Salah was rarely rotated out of the Reds’ starting XI and often showed his displeasure on the rare occasions he was substituted.

Rarely missing a game through injury either, Elliott’s opportunities in his preferred position at Liverpool will no doubt remain to be limited as long as the Egyptian King remains on the Reds’ books.

Sure, Salah could be played centrally with Roberto Firmino instead sacrificed to find game-time for the youngster, but he’s not the only player who will be fighting for recognition.

Xherdan Shaqiri and Diogo Jota are Klopp’s leading deputies ahead of Divock Origi and the now on-loan Takumi Minamino, with the Japan international’s temporary switch to Southampton highlighting the short-term difficulties that lie ahead for Elliott.

Admittedly the Portuguese is the only one of the quartet who can feel secure about his Reds future heading into 2021/22, and Elliott could feasibly find a place in the squad left open for him if the Swiss playmaker departs in the summer for example.

But his opportunities would still remain limited amongst such strength-in-depth and, with the teenager thriving by starting matches every week, would a place on the Anfield bench even be the best place for him?

On one hand he’s training regularly with the likes of Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Thiago Alcantara in the perfect playground for any would-be Liverpool star.

But on the other, going back to a frustrating bit-part role could prove detrimental to his long-term development and require the very best man-management from Klopp and his coaching staff to reassure the teenager.

After all, Elliott was always going to be a signing for the future and he only needs to look to Trent Alexander-Arnold and Curtis Jones to see that doorway to the first team is open.

But alternating with Nathaniel Clyne and Joe Gomez at right-back, or being the beneficiary of regular midfield rotation is a rather different prospect to vying with the likes of Salah and Jota.

Perhaps another loan move for Elliott could be best? Maybe to a Premier League side, having now emphatically shown his abilities in the Championship?

It is not as simple as that.

The 17-year-old counts as a homegrown player for Liverpool in their Premier League and Champions League squads, but while he doesn’t need to be named in the Reds’ 25-man squad for domestic competition until 2024/25 due to his status as an U21s player, it is a little more complicated in Europe.

Elliott was included in the club’s squad for the Champions League for the first half of the season as he is currently not able to be registered as a List B (U21s) player as he has not “been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday.”

Such a situation is only a minor inconvenience, if that, for Liverpool - but a further look at the Champions League homegrown rules could dictate what the Reds do with the winger over the next few seasons.

Clubs are required to name at least eight locally-trained players in their squads to be able to register a maximum 25-man squad for European competition.

At least four of those have to qualify as club-trained players with sides not able to name more than four association-trained players among their eight 'local' nominees on List A.

Elliott currently counts as an association-trained player but his season-long loan at Blackburn means he has only completed one of the three seasons at Liverpool needed to qualify as club-trained.

Time is on his side with the teenager having until 2023/24 to complete three years on the club’s books between the ages of 15 and 21.

But as such, he can only spend one of the next three seasons out on loan if the Reds wish for him to qualify as club-trained in the future.

Elliott is going to have to be more patient than most as he looks to break into Klopp’s squad with Liverpool very much playing the long game when it comes to the winger.[/article]

Great strike! Goal @0:40
Wilson - 23 appearances (avg 82 mins per game), 4 goals, 7 assists (3 big chances missed)

[article]
Harry Wilson has hit back from being omitted by Mick McCarthy in stunning fashion.

The manager left the Liverpool loanee out of his first two Cardiff City line-ups, although the Welshman did provide an assist off the bench in the draw with Millwall.

Since then, Wilson has regained his spot in the starting XI and has flourished.

He provided further assists in the wins over Rotherham and Bristol City before producing a first-class display in the triumph over Luton Town on Tuesday evening.

The Wales star struck shortly after half-time with a spectacular finish, bending in an effort from more than 20 yards to hand City a vital lead, which Will Vaulks doubled just four minutes later.

And Wilson, who also discussed his frustration at being left out by McCarthy, has been pleased by his displays of late, which have coincided with Cardiff's charge up the lead.

"Obviously I was delighted to score," said Wilson, who last scored in the win over Birmingham City back in December. "I was conscious because it has been a while.

"I was desperate to get back on the scoresheet, so to do that in a 2-0 win, I'm delighted.

"When the new manager came in, it gave the players a lift in training. The gaffer picked the team off that. I was disappointed to miss out because, like every player, I felt like I should be in the team.

"But I knew I'd get my chance, and once that came I was determined to prove that I need to be in this team.

"I feel since I've been back, I've done that. My performances and my numbers have been good."

McCarthy, after his first game in charge up at Barnsley, said no player had a divine right to start in his team, with the manager having opted for Junior Hoilett and Sheyi Ojo up at Oakwell that after they stood out in training.

But Wilson has clearly stamped his mark now and earned McCarthy's trust and the manager lauded the player's stunning finish at Kenilworth Road.

"We didn't start the second half well but Harry got a bit of space and punished them with a wonderful goal," he said.

"That's why you have him in the team.

"We have got the other guys. The three big centre-backs who were battling away against their two strikers.

"I thought Vaulksy (Will Vaulks) and Marlon Pack were excellent in there.

"Then you've got the exciting ones who put the bells and whistles on all that hard work and that's what he did."
[/article]

Wilson with another assist and Ojo returning from injury.
On a side note, van den Berg remained on the bench for this match. Made only 1 sub appearance (18 min) in the past 4 matches for Preston.

Goal @0:28
Wilson - 24 appearances (avg 81 mins per game), 4 goals, 8 assists (3 big chances missed)
Ojo - 29 appearances (avg 69 mins per game), 5 goals, 6 assists (1 big chance missed)

Good to see our championship boys doing so well, especially Harvey seeing as it's his first real experience getting game time every week.

Wilson also assisted on a goal yesterday and Cardiff are now 6th ... If they get promoted, we'll get 10+ for Wilson imo.
For a start, we should be able to get more out of the potential loan fee

"WalesOnline understands that Cardiff will pay Premier League champions Liverpool a loan fee, which could rise to £1.2m and will be paid in instalments, to secure the player's services.

While it was initially thought the Bluebirds would cover all the player's wages, it is now understood that Cardiff will pay only a proportion of the Wales international's salary."

Wilson - 25 appearances (avg 81 mins per game), 4 goals, 9 assists (3 big chances missed)

Assist from corner (@0:15)

Elliott scores again

Elliott - 26 appearances (avg 76 mins per game), 5 goals, 9 assists (1 big chance missed)

Last edited:
van den Berg finally got his first start for Preston vs QPR (played the full match) and helped them to their first clean sheet in 6 matches. Interestingly, he played at the RB berth.

Untitled.jpg

[article]
Preston North End boss Alex Neil believes Sepp van den Berg is following a well-trodden path by playing as right-back and drew comparison with Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher's early career.

The 19-year-old is spending the remainder of the season on loan from the Anfield club at Deepdale after joining on transfer deadline day.

Van den Berg made his North End debut earlier this month when coming off the bench in the 2-1 home defeat against Rotherham United.

But he made his first PNE start last night in the goalless draw against QPR.

The teenager had a solid evening and was keen to get on the ball and had the most touches (69) of anyone in the PNE side.

He also led his team in interceptions (2), and was joint highest for tackles and key passes (both 2). He made two clearances too.

His touch was consistently good, he didn't look fazed and he covered the ground impressively up against an attacking QPR left flank.

Speaking after the game, PNE boss Neil believes it is not uncommon for young central defenders in the making to have spells playing out wide.

The Scot pointed to the example of Anfield legend Carragher, who played at either right-back or left-back at times early on in his Liverpool career before establishing himself in the heart of the defence.

But was pleased with what he saw from the Dutchman on his first PNE start.

"It's not too uncommon for a lot of young centre-backs to play right back initially," said Neil. "Particularly if they're mobile, if you look at guys like Jamie Carragher who played at centre-back.

"A lot of them started at right-back and what happens if you get your reading of the game from that position.

"Because when you go into the middle, particularly when you're young as a centre-back, it's such a crucial position in terms of reading the game.

"You tend to find with young centre-backs that they make their mistakes in there and when they do, it costs you matches and point.

"Defensively he was strong, on the ball he was strong and got his distances right - he's a good player and with your first game at any club, you always want to set a marker down.

"I think tonight a lot of fans will look at him and hope that he can continue that because I thought he was very good."

[/article]

[article]Sepp van den Berg said he was happy to make his full debut for Preston North End in the goalless draw against Queens Park Rangers.

The on-loan Liverpool defender felt the Lilywhites played well in the first half and was pleased to keep a clean sheet on the night, but said there is work to be done to turn the point they earned this evening, into three in future outings.

The No.2 told iFollow PNE: “We played well, especially the first half. We created a lot of chances. I’m happy with the clean sheet but unfortunately, we didn’t score and didn’t get the win, but I think we played well and hopefully we can win the next game.

“I think especially the first half, we were really good. We tried to play forward, we played forward, we did well, created a lot of chances.

“Second half – I don’t know what it was, we did what we did in the first half and you could see it didn’t really work. We should be happy with the first half and work from that to the next game.”

Traditionally a centre back, the Dutchman admitted the right back role in which he was deployed against the Rs was a little unfamiliar – at least of late – but felt he did well on the right flank of the defence.

“I’m happy to make my full debut today and right back, it’s something different than I’m used to, but I’m happy with my performance and hopefully I can play a lot more games.

“I’ve played there a little bit when I was in Holland, but mainly I’m a centre back, but I can play there as well so I’m available.

“I think that’s why the gaffer played me there; they played with five at the back, so our full backs got spare players.

“I tried to use the ball as well as possible and I just felt that first half me and Greg did well, but second half, I think I’d be do it better. I’m happy with the first half.”

The youngster added that the side from the capital came into things more after the break, and that while the Lilywhites could have won it, the point on the board is better than nothing.

“Second half, they were more [on the] front foot than us I think, they played more in our half and then you have to stay back a little more. I’m a centre back so I can defend so I think that’s help as well and that was needed today.

“That’s the most important; if you keep a clean sheet, you don’t lose. The three points are what you want but at the end, one point is better than zero. I think that is what we did great today, we defended well and created chances as well but we need to finish those and then we can get three points.”[/article]

Last edited:
Interesting to read that Elliot started as a left back - nice read about his Dad's impact on him too.

[article]Slowly but surely Harvey Elliott is becoming a household name. The diminutive winger is the new star of the EFL, he is the youngest player in Premier League history and Liverpool’s future.

For most his name has just emerged onto the scene. But back in Surrey, Harvey Elliott’s name has been on the lips of many for half a decade.

Over the years there were always murmurs about Harvey in the community. First when he broke into Fulham’s U18 side at the age of 14, then when he made his first team debut at 15 and a year later when he was playing Premier League football at 16.

Now 17, he’s tearing the Championship apart.

For those who know him, Elliott’s fast ascendancy has come as no surprise.

‘You could not take the ball off him,’ a student who attended school with Elliott in Year 7 at The Magna Carta School in Egham tells First Time Finish.

‘My friend still brags about the time he tackled Harvey.’

The match
Scott Chickelday is the same. He remembers the fateful day of seeing Elliot for the first time as vividly as if it was yesterday, even half a decade later.

In 2013 Scott had just left Tottenham Hotspur and found himself at Queens Park Rangers. He was due to take charge of the club’s U11 side.

Before he took over, he made a visit to the club’s academy complex to watch his soon to be team in action.

‘He (Elliott) was playing left-back,’ Scott recalls to FTF. ‘He was the smallest kid on the pitch playing a year up and I got told to take a look at him.’

‘In that game I wasn’t convinced. He was steady but at that stage I suggested to the academy manager that maybe he should play with his own age. He told me to take a look at him in training first.’

The next day Elliott turned up early as usual. Him and his dad were already on the training ground practising by the time Scott arrived.

‘I got there 35 minutes before the session and Harvey was already there,’ Scott remembers.

‘We did one vs one and two vs twos, and he absolutely obliterated the session. From that point I was like wow. This kid can play. Why was he playing left-back?’

Immediately, Scott moved him further up the field.

A star in the making
Under Scott, Elliott thrived.

‘When Harvey was playing you never knew what position he was in at these younger age groups. He was just all over the pitch looking for the ball and running the game.’

Scott and Harvey spent two years together in the club’s academy set-up.

‘I remember one game, Chelsea used to batter teams at that level. Sometimes it was a Rugby score.

It was 4-1 going into the last quarter, and Harvey just turned the game on its head. He just ran rings around Chelsea to help us comeback.’

Even back then Scott was awed by the young boy.

‘I knew he was a special player, and I knew he would go far if he kept doing what he did,’ Scott admits.

What impressed him further is Elliott’s professional attitude.

‘He was always the first person in training and the last to leave. In the two years we spent together I never arrived to a training session before him. He’d be doing sprints or doing kick ups before. He just loved football.’

‘His mentality was just football, football, football. He trained like how he played. He always had a ball between his feet.’

Elliott’s dad, Scott, was a major influence in instilling an insatiate worth ethic in Harvey.

‘Harvey’s dad pushed him and encouraged him. He would do work with him outside the training. He supported him completely, every training session and game he was always there. Him and Harvey are both football mad. ‘

Who cares about age or height?
After Queens Park Rangers, Elliott moved across to neighbouring Fulham where he quickly made his way up the ranks. Just a couple of years after working with Scott he was playing U18 football before making his debut with the pros.

One of Elliott’s outstanding qualities since he has emerged onto the scene has been the ability to fit in seamlessly.

Despite his tender age he has not looked out of place playing against players twice his age.

‘Harvey was never blessed with big stature. He was always the smallest player on the pitch.

He’s been playing a year up regularly from a very young age, so he got used to being shrugged around and the tackles. He had to learn to improve his decision making to make quicker decisions to get away from players,’
Scott explains.

Now at Blackburn, Elliott has adapted to the intense physicality of the Championship with ease.

‘ I don’t think very many were expecting him to make the transition to Championship football appear so seamless,’ Jaquob Crooke, a Blackburn Rovers writer for Lancs Live tells FTF.

‘His technical ability was evident from the early stages but his physical stature is what has impressed the most; he isn’t bullied by opposition defenders, he’s not afraid to make a tackle when necessary. Blackburn knew they were getting a good player but even they may have been surprised at the manner in which Elliott has established himself as an important member of the first-team squad.’

‘At Liverpool he’s getting broader now physically. His legs are a bit thicker too. He’s clever with using his body now,’
Scott adds.

The ‘Ronaldo Effect’
At Liverpool, from the very first moment Harvey Elliott stepped on the field , it was evident the Reds secured a phenomenal talent.

In a brief cameo against Lyon in a pre-season friendly, Elliott ran the show as a 16 year old for Jurgen Klopp’s side.

At Blackburn it has been the same. Harvey Elliott has been able to establish himself as an influential member of Tony Mowbray’s side.

Beyond his 4 goals and 9 assists, Elliott stands out in other areas too. For example no winger has made more passes into the penalty box per 90 in the Championship than the diminutive attacker with 5.06.

He also ranks in the top five for smart passes and key passes in the Championship.

To emphasise how important he has been to Blackburn’s build-up play, he has contributed the third most third assists per 90 too.

‘His vision, passing range and intelligence, especially in the final third, are all exemplary. He can identify and assess situations before they have even developed and has the abilities to execute,’ Jaquob Crooke adds.

‘He can initiate attacks and his movement can be superb, both on and off the ball. He’s not afraid to take on a defender but he’s not selfish, either – in fact, that’s the one area Tony Mowbray said he needed to improve, to be more selfish in the final third!’

Mowbray is right. For attackers in the Championship Elliott ranks 49th for total shots taken so far this season (29) which is relatively low.

But nothing has changed since his QPR days and it’s an area the young star is probably already working on if his work regiment is anything to go by.

‘He always stays after training for extra sessions,’ Crooke adds.

Where Elliott does excel is instigating attacks. The winger has made the 4th most progressive runs in the Championship with 3.7 per 90.

‘He was like that when he was younger. He is very direct with his play. Straight away with his first touch he will start to drive at the defence. He has the ‘Ronaldo effect.’ He’s one of those players that as soon as he gets the ball you know he’s going to do something.

He can drive into the final third and cause problems, whether that’s a pass, cross or a shot,’
Scott recalls.

The future
‘Elliott has been a breath of fresh air and is a reminder of the benefits that the loan market can provide, especially for Championship clubs with restricted budgets. We all look forward to him being a success at Liverpool in the future,’ Crooke concludes.

Liverpool certainly see Elliot’s long term future with the club. However, what the short term future holds for Harvey Elliott remains to be seen.

At 17 he’s already been able to stand-out in the tough environment of the Championship.

But with Liverpool’s front three, plus Diogo Jota in the mix it will be difficult to wrestle himself into first team reckoning just yet.

There is an outside chance of Blackburn making the Play Offs. In that case if a promotion to the Premier League is on the cards, Harvey Elliott could certainly remain with the Lancashire based club for another year to help him settle in the Premier League.

Though with his rapid ascension to higher levels year in year out, you certainly would not rule him out of making the step-up to Liverpool immediately either.

Klopp has shown there is a pathway for talent to break-through. Harvey Elliott will have drawn optimism from the emergence of Curtis Jones this season, especially since the pair enjoyed a superfluous partnership at academy level last season.

One thing is for sure, with his mentality to succeed and his work-ethic you would bet on Harvey Elliott to go far in the game.

All statistics taken from Wyscout.[/article]

van den Berg started his 2nd game in a row, keeping his berth at RB. Preston beat Huddersfield Town.

Lewis made his 2nd start in 8 matches for Plymouth who beat with title challenging Lincoln City 4-3.

Blackburn, who have lost their last 5 matches, drew 1-1 with 10 men Coventry.

Millar one of the 4 players subbed out at half time with Charlton trailing 2-0. They lost 3-0 to Neil Critchley's Blackpool (who were awarded 2 penalties in the game).

Last edited:
Ojo subbed in after 61 mins, Wilson subbed out after 67 mins. Cardiff drawing 1-1 with Middlesbrough.

Kamil Grabara has kept 5 clean sheets in a row for AGF Aarhus
agf.jpg

[article]Kamil Grabara arrived in England when Liverpool took him from Polish side Ruch Chorzów in 2016.

After spending over two years with the Reds’ academy, the goalkeeper has been out on loans since the start of 2019.

The custodian returned to AGF for a second loan spell back in the summer, having spent the previous campaign at Huddersfield Town.

This week’s edition of Tipsbladet has a wide-ranging interview with the Liverpool man, where he made his feelings known on what it means for him to go out on loan.

“How do I feel about being sent on loan and the things that come with it? Of course, this is not ideal. But if I hadn’t been picked up by Liverpool when I was 17, I would hardly have evolved as I have. I would not have been the same goalkeeper as I am today,” he said.

“There are always pros and cons. I’ve played a lot of chess, and my teacher said you give something away when you take. So things are rarely black-and-White.”

The Poland U21 international has impressed for AGF in recent weeks as he hasn’t conceded a goal in the last five league matches. His work in Denmark is monitored by the Premier League winners and he’s in regular contact with the Anfield club.

“I’m in constant contact with people from Liverpool. They watch my matches and all the highlights, they’re also interested in my training and follow me. It’s quite normal,” the keeper said.

“Chelsea do the same when they send lots of players on loan. They have a department that follows the loaned players. But they do not mean anything in that way for my daily work or that I thrive in Aarhus. There are lots of people at AGF who help with this.”

Grabara will have to return to Liverpool later in the summer and he doesn’t know where he will play next season. He details various reasons for that.

“If I start thinking about where I’m going to play next season, I usually drop dramatically in my performances. That’s one of the things I’ve stopped even speculating about, and it’s working for me. I can set goals for myself and think about what I want, but I’m a thousand percent focused on now,” Grabara stressed.

“While the season is underway, I don’t think it’s right for me to think much about whether I’m heading in the right direction.

“I use my energy and my focus on training, on playing well and being well prepared every single day. If I do everything right with my football game, I can start thinking about things. But I don’t think about the things I can’t really influence right now.”

“I can influence whether I will be well prepared for each training, whether I have prepared well for the matches and whether I play well.”[/article]

Last edited:
Blackburn with an unchanged line-up from last Sat's match, which means Elliot remains on the bench for 2nd consecutive game. Probably needed some rest to avoid burnout.

Liverpool's Sepp van den Berg praised as Alex Neil reacts to PNE's draw vs Bournemouth

[article]"I thought (Sepp) was our best player in the first half, when I didn't think we were very good I thought he was good," said Neil. "I said that to him at half-time.

"I thought he was our best player in the first half and defensively he dealt with Danjuma really well - he used the ball better than most.

"I've been really pleased with his progress - he's come on a ton so yeah, he's doing well for us just now.[/article]

[article]Liverpool loanee Harvey Elliott has been on the bench for the last two matches since making a mistake for the goal in the defeat at Reading.

But with this Rovers’ fourth game in 10 days, the teenager could be primed for a recall to the side against Brentford, with Mowbray wary of the schedule.

“He’s done extraordinarily well for us,” Mowbray said.

“You have to put into context that he’s 17-years-old, I know he’s come from Liverpool, one of the powerhouses of European football, but he’s assisted and scored and been very creative for our team and been a huge positive and made a huge impact at our football club.

“I took him out of the side because he’s played a lot of games on the bounce and at 17 you can’t expect him to keep going, every game 90 minutes, he needs to be given a rest.

“For him it coincided with us going to Millwall and winning 2-0, the performance against Swansea was really decent that probably warranted more than the draw we got.

“Without giving the team away we’ll assess where everybody is, for some this will be the fourth game in 10 days and we have to assess whether they can keep rolling or whether we need to make some changes.”

Mowbray also confirmed that Jarrad Branthwaite has trained this week after struggling with illness.[/article]

(Video available in the linked page)

[article]Preston North End’s on loan Liverpool defender Sepp van den Berg is enjoying the game time he is getting and his role on the right side of the Lilywhites’ back line.

The Dutch No.2 arrived at the club as a centre back, but has played in the full back role in his six starts so far and says that he is finding it a good experience.

“I am enjoying it,” he told iFollow PNE. “When I was young, I used to play right wing and I got back to right back and then to centre back. I like it, I am happy to be playing and I just try to fill the position as best as I can.

“I like the attacking part, getting up and down the pitch – it is tough, because I am not sued to that much running at centre half – but everything is good.

And despite the recent results, the former PEC Zwolle man believes that he is getting into a rhythm: “Unfortunately, we haven’t got as many points as we would have wanted, but for myself, I am happy that I am playing – I think I have played the last six games, I am getting into a rhythm, I am feeling good and I am happy about my performances,” he continued.

“It is unlucky that we haven’t got as many points, but if we keep going, we will be fine.

“I saw it back and when I shot it and I looked at the ball, I thought it was in the top left corner. Unfortunately, it didn’t go in. The game was unfortunate – we played really well, but the red card and the own goal shot us in the foot.

We started really well and the own goal is just unlucky and we moved on from it and kept going. Even after the red card, in the first half, we were really good.

And now he wants to add three points at the weekend to take into the international break: “It is a hard opponent, we know it, but if we play with the same kind of energy as the last game this weekend, then we have a good chance to win.

“We are looking forward to it and we are going to try and get everything out of it.

“The Wycombe game wasn’t our best game, but we have moved on and you saw the reaction from the boys in the last game and we will be ready for the weekend,” he added.[/article]

[article]Liverpool goalkeeper Vitezslav Jaros has joined Irish Premier Division side St Patrick's Athletic on loan.

The 19-year-old, who signed a long-term contract extension with the Reds last summer, will link up with the club ahead of the start of the new Premier Division season next month.

Since moving to Merseyside from Slavia Prague in 2017, the Czech has risen through the ranks at the Academy and was a member of the FA Youth Cup-winning team in 2019.

Jaros has also been named on the first-team substitutes’ bench on four occasions, including for three Champions League fixtures this term.

He will now build up further senior experience as he spends the majority of the calendar year with St Patrick’s.

They begin the new campaign, which runs until November, with an away trip to reigning champions Shamrock Rovers on March 19.[/article]

[article]St Patrick's Athletic have completed a deal to sign Liverpool goalkeeper Vitezslav Jaros on loan.

Jaros (19) will spend the 2021 League of Ireland season with the Inchicore side.

The Czech underage international has been on the bench for Champions League games with Ajax and Midtjylland this year but is behind Caoimhin Kelleher in the pecking order.

St Pat's manager Stephen O'Donnell said: "He's a player we've been tracking for quite a while.

"He's a young, hungry keeper and has just signed a four year deal in the summer so obviously he's very highly thought of at Liverpool and he's just the type of character we want around the place. He wants to improve and is eyeing St Pat's as part of that stepping stone.

"I'm really excited, I think it's an exciting signing and it's one that will hopefully make the fans sit up and take notice, taking a player from such a prestigious club."

UK clubs are increasingly viewing the League of Ireland as a good loan option for youngsters at their club.

Liverpool's rivals Manchester City are set to send promising Irish underage midfielder Joe Hodge to Derry City.

The highly-rated English born 18-year-old is keen to play senior football and is due to travel to Derry later this week with a view to signing until July initially with the prospect of that being extended for the year if all parties are satisfied.

Former Finn Harps and Bohemians midfielder Fergal Harkin oversees Man City's loan operation.

Meanwhile, Bohemians have confirmed the signing of former Celtic and Rangers midfielder Liam Burt, subject to international clearance.

The 22-year-old Scotland Under-21 international can play on the wing or as an attacking midfielder and has also seen service on loan at Dumbarton and Alloa.[/article]

Charlton have a new manager in Nigel Adkins after Bowyer resigned to join Birmingham. Good manager for Millar to progress under. He's already got 2 assists today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom