• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people see Elliot as being ready for a squad role next year? Hes certainly exceeded any expectations we could have had for a 17 year old going out on loan to the Championship. Or is he more likely to continue his development with a loan to a PL club where he might get more minutes and work on his game without the sort of pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool.

If we were to end up in the Europa League next year I'd hang onto him. I think thats a competition where he could get some valuable game time along with a few other fringe players.

Do people see Elliot as being ready for a squad role next year? Hes certainly exceeded any expectations we could have had for a 17 year old going out on loan to the Championship. Or is he more likely to continue his development with a loan to a PL club where he might get more minutes and work on his game without the sort of pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool.

If we were to end up in the Europa League next year I'd hang onto him. I think thats a competition where he could get some valuable game time along with a few other fringe players.

I think he needs to play. He's not in a position to be first choice, and I don't think he's going to develop as well if he's just given a back-up role. I think it would be better for him to play regularly elsewhere until he's in a position to challenge for a first choice spot in the team.

I think if we sell Shaqiri then Eliott should be the natural stepin to give Salah a breather.

If Klopp thinks he is not ready yet then probably he needs to go on loan for another year, but also we will need someone who can play on the right

He's done better in the Championship than Jack Grealish ever did in his time there.
Kid has 'it' ...

I think he needs to play. He's not in a position to be first choice, and I don't think he's going to develop as well if he's just given a back-up role. I think it would be better for him to play regularly elsewhere until he's in a position to challenge for a first choice spot in the team.
Spot on. If we want him to develop he really needs to start getting more experience in the level we expect to see him playing in.

Came across this article previously. Guess another season out on loan is the more suitable option.

Why a Champions League rule might stop Harvey Elliott leaving Liverpool on loan in future

[article]Elliott currently counts as an association-trained player but his season-long loan at Blackburn means he has only completed one of the three seasons at Liverpool needed to qualify as club-trained.

Time is on his side with the teenager having until 2023/24 to complete three years on the club’s books between the ages of 15 and 21.

But as such, he can only spend one of the next three seasons out on loan if the Reds wish for him to qualify as club-trained in the future.

Elliott is going to have to be more patient than most as he looks to break into Klopp’s squad with Liverpool very much playing the long game when it comes to the winger.[/article]

[article]Keeping up with the social media scene, it would be fair in saying some Blackburn Rovers supporters may have found the obsessive Harvey Elliott chatter increasingly tiresome of late.

The national media love-in can cause irritation for many but let's not allow that to detract from what has been a successful loan spell for a multitude of reasons.

Primarily because Elliott has been an on-field hit. Five goals, ten assists (two of those are questionable, I know) and a consistent creative spark in a Rovers side that are capable of creating a plethora of chances - even if they're more regularly bereft of that finishing touch - and Elliott has been a regular presence in the squad. Since arriving on loan in October, Elliott has amassed 2,323 league minutes on the pitch, featuring in every squad under Tony Mowbray's supervision.

A season behind closed doors can make it difficult to bridge a connection with supporters and yet Elliott's engagement has been appreciated by those of a blue and white persuasion. It's just a shame that no supporters will have been present to witness his talent in person.

And then from a marketability perspective, the teenager has helped expand the Rovers portfolio on the European map. The success of his temporary spell has provided the club with an edge in the upper quartile of the loan market - already exhibited by the arrivals of Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Jarrad Branthwaite - and while the implications of Brexit has wiped a considerable number of transfer targets from Rovers' clutches, emerging talents from overseas only have to glance at the development of Elliott and other youth prospects to be enticed by the project.

He's started on the bench in four of Rovers' last five league fixtures, with Mowbray reluctant to include Elliott and Tyrhys Dolan in the same XI in a bid to avoid compromising team balance, but his ability to influence proceedings has not diminished. The score draw against Norwich City evidence of that, delivering the cross for Sam Gallagher to equalise.

"Serious player by the way, he's going to be a big talent," stated Ben Foster on his Cycling GK vlog when Watford defeated Rovers in February. "EA, I think Harvey needs an upgrade. Scandalous, he's much better than that."

And he's not wrong. Only Buendia has chalked up more assists in the Championship during this campaign and while I'd like to try my best to not remind you of his age, no other player under the age of 18 across the top two tiers of UEFA's five highest ranked countries has reached double figures on goal involvement. Bayer Leverkusen's Florian Wirtz ranks second with nine, six short of Elliott's 15.

There's a correlation with game involvement to be discussed, though. Ansu Fati, with five goal contributions this season, has played just 435 minutes for Barcelona. Wirtz has clocked up 1,765 minutes, albeit competing in a higher division.

Regardless of the comparisons to other teenage talents, Elliott ranks highly across the Championship statistics and places top for completed passes into the penalty box per 90, his tendency to play risky, incisive passes exceeding that of Norwich creator Emi Buendia and Brentford architect Sergi Canos.

Elliott boasts an authority over the ball and shares an intuitive understanding that of the game that many others don't. His confidence and dynamism are captured in the tally of progressive ball carries he has racked up over the season - and I know how much you all love your ball carry conversations.

And as a reminder, a progressive carry is defined as a continuous ball control by one player attempting to draw the team significantly closer to the opponent's goal - a more elaborative version of a successful dribble. In the Championship, only Bright Osayi-Samuel - who now plies his trade in Turkey with Fenerbahce - and Bournemouth's Arnaut Danjuma rank above Elliott.

Predominantly operating on the right flank in an inside forward role - which should encourage him to cut inside - Elliott doesn't shoot very often, with around 1.4 attempts on goal per 90, with ranks him 38th on average in the Championship. Rather than a prolific figure, Elliott identifies as more of a creator, keen to progress the ball forward by passing, carrying and generating opportunities for others.

It's resulted in comparisons to that of Jack Grealish, the architect to Aston Villa's promotion from the Championship and one of the leading creative figures in the Premier League. The 25-year-old is responsible for creating 54% of Villa's big chances this season and there are similarities that can be drawn between the pair given their playmaking capabilities.

There's still a long journey ahead for Elliott to reach the heights of Grealish but his current trajectory suggests he can exceed his trend.

And ultimately, as I've said before, Rovers must find a way to replace his craft and creativity next season. Subtract 15 goals from any side and that can be a difficult void to fill.[/article]

Ryan Lowe credits Adam Lewis for bouncing back from costly Ipswich mistake

[article]Ryan Lowe has praised Plymouth Argyle loan signing Adam Lewis for the way he has bounced back from making a costly mistake in a recent match.

The Pilgrims lost 1-0 away to Ipswich Town after Troy Parrott easily intercepted a misplaced back pass from Lewis and slotted past goalkeeper Mike Cooper.

The 21-year-old loanee from Liverpool dropped down to the substitutes’ bench for the next game, the 2-1 defeat at MK Dons on Tuesday.

However, he returned to the starting line-up for the visit of Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

Not only did he put in a solid shift at left wing-back, Lewis provided the crosses from which striker Niall Ennis grabbed both of his goals in the 2-0 win.

Lowe said: “He (Lewis) text me after the Ipswich game. I rang him and said ‘Are you okay mate?’ and he wanted to apologise for the goal.

“I told him he didn’t have to apologise and that he was here because he’s a good player. He made one decision which was wrong but not to worry.

“He has been a little bit inconsistent but on Saturday he slotted in on that left side and was fantastic.

“That’s credit to him. When you give a goal away and then you get left out of the team, you have got to be ready for the next one.

“I have said to all of the lads who are not playing at the moment ‘Just make sure you are game ready’.

“To be fair, Ads was. His attitude and application was spot on, so fair play. Credit where credit is due.”

Lewis has made five starts and 10 substitute appearances during an up-and-time down at Argyle since signing from Liverpool in January.

Lowe added: “We have been working with him on his crossing. He sometimes likes to put them in first time.

“I want him to have a little bit more calmness and have a touch and then cross, and that’s what he has been doing. He’s here, he’s listening and he’s learning.

“He knows he could have done better in some games, and we know he can do better, but we have got to have that balance and he was fantastic on Saturday.”

[/article]

[article]
Porto coach Sergio Conceicao was pleased with Marko Grujic's performance for defeat to Chelsea.

The on-loan Liverpool midfielder featured for Porto in last night's 2-0 loss in the first-leg of their Champions League quarterfinal.

Conceicao went with Grujic over Sergio Oliveira and later said: "They are different players. [Grujic] He had a good performance, as well as the whole team, which left me satisfied. I was happy.

"Sérgio [Oliveira] was not here and it is not worth being with a what if. The 'ifs' now count for nothing. We are losing 2-0, we have to go looking for the win, we have to continue with this defensive solidity."
[/article]

Easy to overlook that Elliot is only 18 years old.

Eyx_3pxW8AEpJ9M

[article]An English champion at 17, the youngest player in the history of the Premier League, already described as a future star for the club he grew up idolizing: Harvey Elliott would be forgiven for taking his foot off the gas after a breakneck start to his professional career.

Nothing could be further from the truth for the Liverpool youngster, currently shining on loan in the Championship with Blackburn Rovers. Days into his 18th year he has taken the difficult next step up from top prospect to carrying a creative burden in senior football and has done so with no little style. With five goals and 10 assists he has made more direct contributions to goals than any other teenager in English football this season.

Garlanded with accolades, silverware and now a major boot deal with New Balance at an early age, Elliott is not one to get carried away with praise. "You need to take it in stride and just forget about it," he tells CBS Sports. Still, Elliott acknowledges it can be tough not to be drawn into the world of social media where supporters herald the latest young superstar at ever earlier ages but with the help of his Liverpool mad family, who would surely never settle for his team winning just one Premier League title over the coming years, he is firmly focused on the future, not what he has already achieved.

"After you've had your career you can look back and go through your achievements," Elliott shrugs. "But that's for the future.

"That's when you think to yourself, I did have a good career or I did achieve that and it was brilliant. But me personally, I don't really think about these things. I just go into every game thinking about the game, not what I've done in the past."

It is a sign of the greatness that so many see in his future that New Balance should make Elliott one of the leading lights in their push to secure the leading young stars in soccer alongside Arsenal's Bukayo Saka, who he remembers "ripping us to pieces" when he was at Fulham.

Both are at the vanguard of a movement of young English attacking talent, many of whom are being honed in the Championship. Where Mason Mount and Emile Smith Rowe have used the second tier as an ideal stepping stone in past years, making their mistakes away from the overpowering spotlight of the Premier League, so is Elliott now.

It is not without its culture shocks. With Liverpool Elliott found himself playing against opponents prepared to sit off him and his team-mates for fear of being picked off. Whether they are first or 24th, nobody pays their opponent such respect in English football's second tier.

Elliott explains: "In the Champ you don't get much time on the ball. Everyone's in your face, if not trying to get in your face behind you.

"The tempo of the game, it's is very, very high. I can remember playing Watford going into the game and it was 100 miles an hour in the first 20, 30 minutes. And I thought surely, it's not going to be like this for the whole game. And when you're up against a top side like them, it was. They're always trying to pick you off and always trying to find a dope in a team that just switches off and work their way around him to try and create a chance.

"You have to think that one step ahead before you even get the ball: where I'm going to play or where I'm going to take my touch. You need to have care and detail in everything you do."

That intensity is demanded from Elliott with and without the ball. A future Liverpool forward must be as relentless in his pressing as his finishing, something which the youngster concedes has been one of the most significant challenges of moving from youth football to the senior game. "I will admit, there's been a couple of moments in games where I have switched off," he says.

"I think now, especially when I'm playing for Blackburn, and even for Liverpool as well, you realize how important the defensive side of work is. Single handedly you can sort of mess up for the whole team; if you're not doing your job, someone else has to come out and cover for you, then they're leaving their man and it just dismantles the whole thing.

"When I was younger, I just used to press the life out of everyone. I used to run left, right and center. But then the tempo wasn't as high as it is now. You can't just run around the whole pitch for 90 minutes, you physically can't. It's just about being clever about when to press, or if they're showing one way, keep them that way."

For all its difficulties he has swiftly adapted to that challenge. Already described as "Premier League quality" by veteran teammate Stewart Downing, a man who knows what it takes to play for Liverpool, Elliott has at times found himself handed the creative reigns by Tony Mowbray whilst having his starts minutes carefully managed. He has relished the opportunity to take on a greater role in getting the Blackburn attack going than he would have had at Anfield.

"It's going to help me for the future," he says of the responsibility that Mowbray places on his shoulders. "To have the pressure now then hopefully, if I was to get to the top level and play week in, week out these are the sort of things that already know that I can do. That's the sort of attitude I go into every single training session with, every single game, just knowing that I can either score or create a goal."

Not just any assist or goal either. Elliott takes no delight in individual success that does not benefit his side.

"I get frustrated with myself if I get an assist or score a goal that doesn't lead the team to win. Because it's sort of like what's the point in assisting or scoring [if we don't win]? I just feel like I can do more. Obviously, there is always a point, but it's just it doesn't mean much when you lose the game.

"For example, the Norwich game where I came on and assisted, last game, to get the draw it meant a lot. That's when they become my favorite. And I think it was one of the games [a 2-1 win over Rotheram] where I think I scored in the 80th minute and then we won the game in the 92nd minute. It's just stuff that I think are the most enjoyable assist or goals where something happens because of it."

Even before moving to Blackburn, Elliott was carving out a role for himself at Liverpool, featuring in 12 Premier League squads during their title charge -- enough to earn him a title winners' medal -- and making eight senior appearances across all competitions. A season that had begun with his boyhood club signing him from Fulham saw the youngster gain minutes in a number of competitions and crucially fall under the wings of Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, of whom he cannot speak highly enough.

When New Balance were courting Elliott, it was Mane he turned to for advice, Liverpool's No.10 offering the same good humored support on this major step in his career path as he does around the training ground.

"Salah and Mane are obviously the world class players as well as mentors and I think that they're even better people off the pitch," says Elliott. "They're always wanting to help everyone else in the best possible way as well as get the best out of themselves.

"Sadio in particular helped me a lot because we have the same gym program. Obviously, I'm not as strong as him yet but whenever I'm doing an activity or an exercise and he thinks it's too easy for me, he's always trying to push me on a bit more and change the weight or he's even trying to knock me about himself just to get me used to being knocked around and to make sure that I'm ready [for it on the pitch]."

His relationship with Mane is nothing but supportive, equally Elliott knows that he cannot always look up to them but will soon have to compete for minutes with them. "As well as having those world class mentors around me, they're sort of competition in a way because at the end of the day in the long term I want to do all I can to try to compete with them to get into the team."

He acknowledges that that ultimate goal remains some distance in the future but he does not lack for self-belief ahead of his return to Liverpool, setting himself the target of being a regular in Jurgen Klopp's squad next season.

"I'm going to go into preseason thinking that I can get into this team. And whatever way my chance comes, it's just about making sure I take it. Obviously, nothing's going to come easy but [I want] to sort of make sure that I'm in and out.

"If I'm needed off the bench make sure that I'm the person they look to. It is just making sure that I'm one of the go to people to come on or to start and influence the game. That's my position and that's my role to score or create. I think if I'm doing that, and obviously working hard for the team as well, I think I've had a chance to be in and around it.

"I'm just going to do whatever it takes."
[/article]

Can we buy Buendia already... please...
It is far easier to perform to a high level, and therefore have outstanding statistics, when your team is dominating the league and quality-wise is miles ahead of the rest. In that regard it just makes Elliott's figures even more impressive, playing for an average Blackburn side that would be struggling near the relegation aera without his involvement. We likely already have the better player on our books ;)

It is far easier to perform to a high level, and therefore have outstanding statistics, when your team is dominating the league and quality-wise is miles ahead of the rest. In that regard it just makes Elliott's figures even more impressive, playing for an average Blackburn side that would be struggling near the relegation aera without his involvement. We likely already have the better player on our books ;)

I don't rely on stats to decide if I rate someone...
And I don't watch the Championship... so, I rate Buendia based on what I saw of him in the premier league; I predominantly saw him play as a RCM. So, quite the opposite of whatever you`ve just had a think about. It happens to be the stats in the Championship back up what I thought before they got relegated.

Buendia, to my eyes, is a very capable box to box player. Hard working, good dribbler and a bit of everything in his locker.

As far as comparing Elliot and Buendia... its pointless... Elliot will never be a CM, imo. Where Buendia played when Norwich beat City and gave us fits...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom