• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Madrid get Real over Suarez swoop

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an aside, a lot of media outlets (such as The Guardian) have suggested the fee for Neymar was more in the region of 30M euros.

Which is true? That or the £50M figure that gets bandied about.
Who knows. Perez is a massive lier but he said hijacking the Neymar deal would have cost Madrid 130m Euros. So you'd imagine Barca's fee would have been closer to 50m.
Having said that, the article is still going on about the 40m buyout clause in Suarez's contract so it could be all bollocks.

If they are willing to pay £85m for Bale, then we should be starting no less than £60m for Suarez. Just because he has this clause which means we have to inform him is neither here nor there. He's under contract and of they want him, they need to pay what we want or sod off. Madrid seem to think they can take what they want from us.

Exactly. You always hear on here that we're 'the new Spurs,' with the implication that such a suggestion is intolerable, and yet this kind of nonsense is greeted amazingly calmly. If we're in a situation where bloody SPURS can dictate to Real whilst we just sit around fatalistically then we REALLY are the new Spurs. Worse: we're the new Everton.

We did OK dealing with them Xabi's sale, right? How much was it? 31M?
So we were forced to lose a player we wanted to keep, but we got a decent fee.
Let's continue that way with Suarez. if we must sell him so be it. But make those arrogant bastards play fairly.

Levy seems like a nasty piece of work but he gets things done, shows real authority and makes Ayre seem like the village idiot. Most clubs learnt a while ago how to turn these things to their advantage. We still seem to collapse into helpless panic.

Is it just me that doesn't really care what he says and who he says it about?

It's probably because we're a bit pants these days or what, but it just doesn't feel like it matters that much.

Absolutely. Who gives a fuck? It's all part of the ridiculous personal attachment fans have with footballers.

Levy seems like a nasty piece of work but he gets things done, shows real authority and makes Ayre seem like the village idiot. Most clubs learnt a while ago how to turn these things to their advantage. We still seem to collapse into helpless panic.

The contestants on The Apprentice could make Ayre look like a village idiot.

The only people in panic are the Luis lovers.

I haven't seen any indication the club are

If there really is a £40m release clause then that's his value. If there isn't it comes down to how much the Yanks want a royal pain in the arse in the club balanced against the likelihood of us failing to win anything without him.

If Rodgers thinks there is an alternative that will cost less I suspect the yanks wll be well up for it

The only people in panic are the Luis lovers.

I haven't seen any indication the club are

Panic? I'm one of "Luis lovers" and I'm not in panic.

And BTW, I'm a Liverpool FC fan prior being a "Luis lover" and I will be a LFC fan long after I won't be a "Luis lover".

As a matter of fact, I'm a Luis lover because he is a Liverpool FC player. The club's best player.
If he leaves I will cease being a "Luis lover".

As for the club, I'm pretty sure all those who care about the club (both "Luis lovers" and those who are not "Luis lovers" but are not Luis haters either) are worried about his potential departure.

Liverpool have said Suarez is not for sale. This is the only thing they've said. So how's this panicking?

Souness: No Suarez, no UCL

Graeme Souness believes Liverpool must keep Luis Suarez if they want to have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is targeting an improved finish in the Premier League next season with a place in the top four his aim.
But that will not be a realistic option if they cash in on Suarez, who has become unsettled at the club and attracted the interest of Real Madrid, according to former Reds midfielder and manager Souness.
He told Sky Sports: "It is upsetting for Liverpool supporters as this year he has been a star, his goals have been vital.
"Going forward, they want to get themselves into the Champions League again and that would be doubly difficult if they did not have Luis Suarez.
"They are in a great position as he signed a five-year deal last year and he is obviously a vital part of what they want to achieve going forward.
"He gets goals for them and goals win you games, goals get you up the table and goals get you in the Champions League which is where Liverpool want to be."
Suarez has complained about his treatment at the hands of the British media but Souness has no sympathy for the situation the striker finds himself in.
"I find it a wee bit strange that he is complaining about the press because at the end of the day he has got to look at himself, he has brought it on himself what he has been involved in - but there is no getting away from it, he is a star and Liverpool have got to keep him."
Meanwhile, John Aldridge has accused Suarez of 'letting Liverpool down' after declaring his intention to quit Anfield this summer.
Aldridge has been a vocal supporter of Suarez during the controversies that have littered his turbulent two-and-a-half years at Liverpool, but he has been angered by the Uruguayan's lack of loyalty and believes the goodwill towards the player has evaporated.
"Every Liverpool fan will feel let down by his desperation to leave Anfield," Aldridge told the Sunday World. "Manager Brendan Rodgers and his players will question why they gave Suarez so much support and the club's hierarchy must suspect they got it wrong backing a player who does not appear to have appreciated that support.
"History will mark Suarez down as another Fernando Torres, a striker who did great things for the club and then did a runner the minute he got the hint of a decent offer from another club. A true Liverpool legend? He will never be that now.
"I was among those hoping Suarez would buck the current trend and show a bit of loyalty to Liverpool, but this story confirms once again that every player seems to be in this game to make as much money as they can as quickly as they can.
"I felt Suarez owed the club another year to try and get them back into the Champions League after all they have done for him, but I should know better than to trust in the loyalty of modern footballers who barely know the meaning of the word."

Panic? I'm one of "Luis lovers" and I'm not in panic.

And BTW, I'm a Liverpool FC fan prior being a "Luis lover" and I will be a LFC fan long after I won't be a "Luis lover".

As a matter of fact, I'm a Luis lover because he is a Liverpool FC player. The club's best player.
If he leaves I will cease being a "Luis lover".

As for the club, I'm pretty sure all those who care about the club (both "Luis lovers" and those who are not "Luis lovers" but are not Luis haters either) are worried about his potential departure.

I'd be more worried if we kept him now.

You have a guy who clearly had no stomach for the battle ahead at the club openly saying he'd like to move to a club where better players will put him in a position to win medals. The minute a player thinks they deserve medals and trophies is the minute you sell them. The drive is gone at that point.

Selling him gives us a massive opportunity to move from seventh to a champions league contender. I'm excited.

I'd be more worried if we kept him now.

You have a guy who clearly had no stomach for the battle ahead at the club openly saying he'd like to move to a club where better players will put him in a position to win medals. The minute a player thinks they deserve medals and trophies is the minute you sell them. The drive is gone at that point.

Selling him gives us a massive opportunity to move from seventh to a champions league contender. I'm excited.

Just like we did with Gerrard. Right.

Souness: No Suarez, no UCL

Graeme Souness believes Liverpool must keep Luis Suarez if they want to have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is targeting an improved finish in the Premier League next season with a place in the top four his aim.
But that will not be a realistic option if they cash in on Suarez, who has become unsettled at the club and attracted the interest of Real Madrid, according to former Reds midfielder and manager Souness.
He told Sky Sports: "It is upsetting for Liverpool supporters as this year he has been a star, his goals have been vital.
"Going forward, they want to get themselves into the Champions League again and that would be doubly difficult if they did not have Luis Suarez.
"They are in a great position as he signed a five-year deal last year and he is obviously a vital part of what they want to achieve going forward.
"He gets goals for them and goals win you games, goals get you up the table and goals get you in the Champions League which is where Liverpool want to be."
Suarez has complained about his treatment at the hands of the British media but Souness has no sympathy for the situation the striker finds himself in.
"I find it a wee bit strange that he is complaining about the press because at the end of the day he has got to look at himself, he has brought it on himself what he has been involved in - but there is no getting away from it, he is a star and Liverpool have got to keep him."
Meanwhile, John Aldridge has accused Suarez of 'letting Liverpool down' after declaring his intention to quit Anfield this summer.
Aldridge has been a vocal supporter of Suarez during the controversies that have littered his turbulent two-and-a-half years at Liverpool, but he has been angered by the Uruguayan's lack of loyalty and believes the goodwill towards the player has evaporated.
"Every Liverpool fan will feel let down by his desperation to leave Anfield," Aldridge told the Sunday World. "Manager Brendan Rodgers and his players will question why they gave Suarez so much support and the club's hierarchy must suspect they got it wrong backing a player who does not appear to have appreciated that support.
"History will mark Suarez down as another Fernando Torres, a striker who did great things for the club and then did a runner the minute he got the hint of a decent offer from another club. A true Liverpool legend? He will never be that now.
"I was among those hoping Suarez would buck the current trend and show a bit of loyalty to Liverpool, but this story confirms once again that every player seems to be in this game to make as much money as they can as quickly as they can.
"I felt Suarez owed the club another year to try and get them back into the Champions League after all they have done for him, but I should know better than to trust in the loyalty of modern footballers who barely know the meaning of the word."

Souness. He was saying the club should boot him out only a few weeks ago. Pathetic.

Souness. He was saying the club should boot him out only a few weeks ago. Pathetic.
Yeah, the same Souness that said Suarez's biting showed total disrespect towards the Hillsborough victims. The same Souness that did the big interview with the *** that got printed on the Hillsborough anniversary.
He's a good lad.

I've always remembered that in 2005 Souness said Milan wouldn't beat Utd in the CL last 16 because they didn't have any 'special' players. He then said we wouldn't beat Milan because they had so many 'special' players.

That Milan team he originally condemned as lacking special players included Cafu, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Crespo, and Shevchenko, just as attacking threats.

And Carra says he's especially keen to work with Souness on Sky because he's been so impressed with his comments. The post-career madness begins.

Souness should shut the fuck up. Whatever Luis did he hasn't come clow to what Souness did to the club.
I mean he's a legend and all but I still blame him for destroying our team in the 90s.

Oh ok, we're to trust the media. Righto.

#starts believing in aliens and civilised man walked around with dinosaurs.

Wow, you're SO clever! I know most of these people and know what they've said, not printed. But I guess you wander hither and thither inside Melwood high-fiving with Werner. Good for you. We'll see who's right about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom