• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mario Balotelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs time and support. Who knows if he will turn out to be a superstar or another Heskey/Baros/Cisse. Who cares if you think he is a knob or lazy (I trust Rodgers when he says he is training hard) lets get behind him, support him, encourage him, stop bitching about him.

There was a game earlier in the season when they both played and I thought the combo looked to have potential. I'd give it a whirl myself.

I just don't see either causing any problems for the Madrid defence. More to the point, I think numbers in midfield are what we need against Real Madrid, and that either necessitates risking the full backs getting isolated with a diamond midfield, or playing one up top in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. I think they'd get far too much joy if we play a diamond midfield; more to the point I think we'll need Joe Allen, Henderson, Lallana/Coutinho and Sterling all in the side, and that doesn't leave that many ways we can play the diamond without leaving ourselves weak.

I think we need Allen and Henderson for the pressing aspects of their game, and Allen's ability to hold onto the ball. I'd put Gerrard in ahead of Lucas and Can, despite my fear about him coming up against James Rodriguez or whoever will play behind Benzema. If Allen, Henderson and Gerrard all play then you need one of Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana behind the front two if you play a 4-4-2 diamond. That then significantly weakens us from a counter-atttacking point of view. So I'd go for one up top. The obvious problem is that none of the three strikers suit that role. I'd actually be tempted to go for the setup Carragher proposed with Sterling flanked by Lallana and Coutinho.

Whitesox: we need to do both IMO - encourage him by all means, but call him out when he's not producing. Otherwise he'll just go on doing WTF he likes when he likes.

Whitesox: we need to do both IMO - encourage him by all means, but call him out when he's not producing. Otherwise he'll just go on doing WTF he likes when he likes.

I agree to a degree. I am guessing he is his worst critic and his apparent lack of effort is part of a larger problem (trying too hard most likely). He appears to have the personality when if he feels wanted/loved he will perform well. I find supporters so frustrating, he is a Liverpool player now, lets get behind him. Too many fans want to be proven right (that dreamy guy), I would rather get behind the players, support them unconditionally even when the world is against them.

Natural ability is no good whatsoever if it stays walled up in a lazy lump of a player. With Balotelli up front instead of Baros and Cisse respectively, we'd have lost in Istanbul in 2005 and in the 2006 Cup Final. Let's agree to differ.

Ok then fair enough.... i agree to differ.

I'm not for giving the lad a free ride either by the way I just feel that we may be over-reacting somewhat, a whole bunch of players are playing like shit at the minute.

I agree to a degree. I am guessing he is his worst critic and his apparent lack of effort is part of a larger problem (trying too hard most likely). He appears to have the personality when if he feels wanted/loved he will perform well. I find supporters so frustrating, he is a Liverpool player now, lets get behind him. Too many fans want to be proven right (that dreamy guy), I would rather get behind the players, support them unconditionally even when the world is against them.
Agreed, it's not like we really have any alternatives. Get behind him.

He's absolute muck. If you can ignore the disinterest and apathy in his play, when he is involved, Ballotelli looks like a league 2 player thrown into the Premier League.

We need a striker in January or we will not get Champions League again.

He didn't look like that when he was playing for City. That's what, at our most hopeful, we shouldn't forget. He does have strengths, and we haven't played to them yet. Obviously I'm not contesting all the criticism of him - I share it.

Genuine question here but has Borini actually scored a competitive goal for us yet?
I genuinely can't remember one.

It is depressing our lack of goals especially considering it wasn't that long ago that we were shitting them and were just too awesome too watch...

Could we not blood any youngsters maybe??

Who was the German lad we signed as a striker, one of the very first of Rodgers signings...much to the chagrin of the team who we nicked him off i seem to remember...

...if you can work out the player i mean from that superb description then you are a better man than me Gungadin...

It is depressing our lack of goals especially considering it wasn't that long ago that we were shitting them and were just too awesome too watch...

Could we not blood any youngsters maybe??

Who was the German lad we signed as a striker, one of the very first of Rodgers signings...much to the chagrin of the team who we nicked him off i seem to remember...

...if you can work out the player i mean from that superb description then you are a better man than me Gungadin...

Yesil?

Whatever happened to him? He had a couple of bad injuries if I recall correctly but that was some time ago. Has he gone off the boil or what, cant ever remember seeing him play.

As a larger question, given the unbelievable levels of gashness displayed by Lambert and Balotelli so far are there any potential youngsters or reserve players that might get a run upfront while Sturridge is out of the picture. I mean they really wouldnt have to do anything more spectacular than move at a walking pace and be willing to tap the ball into an empty net to improve on what we have at the moment

He is injured.

0402__2450__zaf_iqbal_green_zps1be4fe53.jpg

"I told ya so!"

Whatever happened to him? He had a couple of bad injuries if I recall correctly but that was some time ago. Has he gone off the boil or what, cant ever remember seeing him play.

It took a while after those two injuries to get back to full fitness but he's sharp now and surely must be close to the first team squad, given the dearth of in-form striking options. His strengths are that he gets into the box, anticipates what space is worth attacking and knows how to finish.

It took a while after those two injuries to get back to full fitness but he's sharp now and surely must be close to the first team squad, given the dearth of in-form striking options. His strengths are that he gets into the box, anticipates what space is worth attacking and knows how to finish.

Is he anywhere near ready for the first team? One of Borini Lambert or Balotelli needs to step up or be dropped

He's arguably ready for a cameo role later on in a game. To push beyond that he still needs to put some work in and impress over a longer period, but he's a natural goalscorer.

Bloody hell - that sounds like Rush in his prime. How is he not the first name on the team sheet?

Just on that I really don't think Lambert has been bad. I liked his performance when Mario was dropped. They're certainly not suited to playing together but I haven't been too disappointed in him with the exception of the City game.

I'll also reserve judgement on him until he and Studge have played a few games together.
They looked very good vs Spurs.

To be fair Hansern, you haven't delayed judgement on him at all - you think he's class and just needs a little change in luck and better support from teammates to display this.

Saying you'll delay your judgement as though you're somehow unbiased about him is a myth.

Whether he scores 5 goals or 25 goals I think he does as much harm to the team as good. Shaqiri or even Wellbeck would have been better fits to the team as a whole. I actually like Balotelli and agree he's got tremendous talent. Just not the sort of talent which improves this team.

I hope like hell that he has a great game tonight and I'd love it if he scored a brace but it won't change the fact that he doesn't improve this team as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom