• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
He cannot be considered our first choice right back as long as he continues to be unavailable for more than 50% of the season through injury

Magic for me, Kelly as back up, he clearly isnt ready to play every game and needs to be phased in

Poor the Georgie....

Kidding, I'm beginning to get a bit worried about Kelly as well.

Johnson should be on the mend, hopefully he's ready for Stoke or whoever.

Maybe we're a three RB team.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=46627.msg1388493#msg1388493 date=1314466250]
But that's my point. Is it potentially something similar to Stevie that he'll grow out of?
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the question mate...and i certainly don't know the answer but i'd be surprised if the other posters in the thread do either.

It looks more like what Owen went through.

For his development you'd have to be concerned, Owen's recovery from his hamstring problems left him with a bit less pace. You'd have to envision Kelly being shifted inside a bit earlier now if he loses a little bit of pace. It might be better for him long term anyway.

He's worth persevering with for the time being I'd say. Gerrard was always injured when he was young.

Having said that there was also the likes of Owen and Rob Jones who never really recovered properly from early injuries

Gerrard was the same at around this age, he's a big lad and getting bigger...he wil be alright.

Feel so sorry for the lad.
Such a talent. Best one to come through our youths since Gerrard.
I really do hope it's the same kind of deal as Gerrard and he'll soon be alright.

He'll certainly be our long term right back of choice if he can recover.

Owen's early injuries screwed the rest of his career: His hamstrings got so scarred he lost his pace and couldn't stay injury free for any length of time. Ditto Trigger with his knees. Gerrard, as I remember, mainly had back issues which were growth related and didn't leave any lasting damage.

I really hope this isn't the start of a pattern for Kelly; he's class when fit.

Growing pains. Have you seen how Kelly has filled out so quickly. He's always been a big lad but now he is muscled out.

It's a bit more than growing pains.

Unfortunately cos these players play so much footy at such intensity as well as train their bodies are stressed more & will develop weak points. Typically back muscles & leg muscles are the main place that gives, if they don't, then the knees do a couple of years later.

They don't do any weights till 15 I believe, then go into it slowly, then if they hit the first team they sometimes have to do a lot to fill out (Kelly, Spearing recently), which means the muscles develop at different rates, some can take it more than others.

I said this in the thread where people were saying we didnt need a left back. Kelly RB and Magic LB we were being told. Problem is that Kelly's hamstrings dont seem to be up to the rigours of playing RB. Yet anyway

[quote author=El Pistolero link=topic=46627.msg1409956#msg1409956 date=1318000565]
Injured again groin. Why is our back 4 now made of glass. Apart from Enrique.
[/quote]

Now you've gone & done it.

According to .no its a precaution. So, hopefully he'll be ready for Utd. GlenJo is apperantly fit so we'll at least have right back for 20 odd minutes if Kelly doesnt make it.

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=46627.msg1409975#msg1409975 date=1318006486]
Yes Carra v Ashley Young. Good thinking.
[/quote]

What's so special about Young?? So what now?? Play with 10 men just because we know Young gonna rip us off all the fucking time Carra's there? ? ?

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=46627.msg1409967#msg1409967 date=1318004606]
According to .no its a precaution. So, hopefully he'll be ready for Utd. GlenJo is apperantly fit so we'll at least have right back for 20 odd minutes if Kelly doesnt make it.
[/quote]Glen Johnson has targeted the Anfield clash with Manchester United on Saturday, October 15 as his possible return from injury.

The England international has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since the defeat at Stoke City on September 10, but he is making good progress working with the physios at Melwood.

"I'm feeling good at the moment and I've been doing plenty of running," Johnson told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"I've just started doing ball work outside in training so I reckon it won't be too long now.

"I'm working hard and it would be nice to be back in the squad for the Man United game. Hopefully I can make the bench anyway, so fingers crossed."

Liverpool FC face wait over fitness of defender Martin Kelly
Oct 8 2011
by Neil Jones, Liverpool Echo
LIVERPOOL face an anxious wait over the fitness of Martin Kelly after he was sent home from England U21 duty with a groin problem.
The 21-year-old defender played 90 minutes for Stuart Pearce’s side as they beat Iceland 3-0 in Rekjavik in their Euro 2013 qualifier on Thursday night.
But he complained of a tightness in his groin afterwards and, after consulting with the England medical staff, it was decided that he should return to Merseyside as a precautionary measure.
Kelly will now miss England’s trip to Drammen to play Norway on Monday night, and will be assessed by Liverpool’s own medical team ahead of next Saturday’s Premier League clash with Manchester United at Anfield.
Reds boss Kenny Dalglish will hope the problem is not serious. Kelly has been beset by injuries since making his first senior start for the Reds in a Champions League clash with Lyon in October 2009.
He was injured that day, and missed the back-end of last season after suffering a hamstring injury at West Ham back in February.
On his return, against Bolton in August, he was substituted after just half-an-hour with another hamstring problem, but has since started each of Liverpool’s last three fixtures.
Dalglish could have England right-back Glen Johnson and Brazilian Fabio Aurelio back available for the visit of Alex Ferguson’s Premier League leaders.
Johnson has managed just nine minutes of action this season due to a persistent hamstring problem, whilst Aurelio has been sidelined with a thigh complaint.
Both returned to full training last week, and hope to be available for selection next weekend.
“I'm feeling good at the moment and I've been doing plenty of running,” Johnson said.
“I've just started doing ball work outside in training so I reckon it won't be too long now.
“I'm working hard and it would be nice to be back in the squad for the Man United game. Hopefully I can make the bench anyway, so fingers crossed.”
Daniel Agger, however, is not expected to recover from his rib injury in time to face Alex Ferguson’s men.
Meanwhile five of Liverpool's fixtures leading up to the New Year have been switched so they can be shown live on Sky Sports.
The trip to Fulham will now be played on Monday, December 5 with an 8pm kick off, while the clash at Aston Villa has been moved to Sunday, December 18, kick off 2.05pm.
Heading into the festive period, the Reds' match at Wigan will now commence at 8pm on Wednesday, December 21st and the Anfield showdown with Newcastle United will take place at 7.45pm on Friday, December 30.
The final change sees Liverpool visit Manchester City on Tuesday, January 3. Kick off 8pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom