• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

LOVE this day... Spring is here.

Angels, White Sox, Red Sox, yankees (wc)

Dodgers, Cardinals, Mets, Cubs (wc)

Red Sox beat Mets in the WS.

Halladay will win the CY Young again. Other than that it'll be a bad year for the Jays.

The Rays will top the AL East, Red Sox will get the wild card.

Nope.

Rays are bloody good, yes. But they'll ot have that rookie magic that they did last season. Plus they're due a few injuries.

Normal service will be resumed this summer.

I think their starting lineup missed 365 days last year between them. Longoria was out for a while, Crawford too. All those young players are going to be a little bit better this year too. Upton had a poor year last year by his standards.

As for the Yankees - Jeter is the worst defensive shortstop in the league, Matsui and Damon will miss time and are a year nearer their end. A-Rod will never be the same again. Which Cano will turn up, the '07 or '08 one ? Sabathia and Teixeira will be excellent, but Sabathia won't be able to carry the rotation - Burnett and Joba will be injured at some point. Pettite hasn't been good since he went off his extra supplements.

I am hoping for
a) a surprisingly strong season from the Rangers. not sure if playoffs are possible, but a 80+ win season would be nice. There's some really good young talent there, so hopefully the SPs will be ok
b) the yankees crash n' burn
c) if b doesn't happen, the yankees crash n' burn to the red sox in the playoffs

The Orioles are 6-3 up after six on the Yankees, CC has taken a bit of a pounding.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg839595#msg839595 date=1239057720]
The Orioles are 6-3 up after six on the Yankees, CC has taken a bit of a pounding.
[/quote]

long may it last ...

BALTIMORE (AP)—CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira won’t soon forget their debut with the New York Yankees—no matter how hard they try.

Sabathia failed to get out of the fifth inning Monday in a 10-5 loss to the Baltimore Orioles, and Mark couldn’t buy a hit with that $180 million the Yankees heaped upon him during the offseason.

“I was terrible. I battled from the first inning on,†said Sabathia, who signed a $161 million, seven-year contract in December. “At some point I’m usually able to find it. Today was just one of those days where I didn’t. When I have one of those days, this is the result you get.â€

Sabathia (0-1) gave up six runs and eight hits in 4 1-3 innings, walked five, threw two wild pitches and did not record a strikeout for the first time since July 25, 2005, at Oakland. The six runs were the most he had allowed in 32 starts since last April, when he pitched for Cleveland.

history on opening day:

Lopez and Clark double the pleasure, double the fun in opener
By 'Duk

The great thing about baseball is that you stand a good chance of seeing something you've never seen before.

And when it happens on Opening Day?

Well, then all the better.

Felipe Lopez and Tony Clark got the season off to a good start for the Diamondbacks and gave us seamheaded fans of useless trivia a thrill, homering from each side of the plate in a wildly entertaining 9-8 win over the Rockies that featured eight balls hit out of Chase Field. It was the first time that two switch-hitting teammates pulled the daily reverse double on Opening Day and the first since Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams did it for the Yankees on April 23, 2000.

It's a rare feat to begin with, but consider that Clark and Lopez combined for just nine round trips in 2008 and it seems even more improbable that they'd both manage to hit left-handed homers off righty starter Aaron Cook and then right-handed homers off lefty reliever Glendon Rusch. Lopez, who signed with Arizona in the offseason, homered in his first two at-bats.

And, yes, that's a semi-rare feat too, in case you were wondering. The last person to hit home runs in his first two plate appearances with his new team was Richie Sexson, who did it with Seattle on April 4, 2005.

Ah, obscure baseball feats and facts. How'd we ever make it through a winter without them?

Yankees beaten again, Wang doesn't get through 4 innings.

I'm liking this season so far.

saw that catch live ... i liked prince's reaction (tipped his cap)

another record today:

DETROIT (AP)—Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox have hit back-to-back home runs—the 300th career homer for each player.

Dye led off the second inning with a homer and Konerko followed with a home run to give Chicago a 2-0 lead over the Detroit Tigers on Monday.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it’s the first time teammates hit century milestone home runs of at least 300 in the same game.

I know it's early. And believe me, I'm not wasting any 'sports karma' rooting on my boys right now - There's FAR bigger fish to fry for the next 6 weeks.

But FFS Boston!?

And Beckett has been given a 6 game suspension for throwing at one of the Angels now too.

On the other hand I'm going to enjoy looking at the AL East table and seeing the Jays on top for now.

What did you expect with that pitching ?

Andruw seems to have remembered how to hit

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg845435#msg845435 date=1239743865]
What did you expect with that pitching ?

Andruw seems to have remembered how to hit
[/quote]

well 4-4 would have been nicer.

Jones will be comeback player of the year I think ...

great ad from yesta-year

[flash=500,450]http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/72233/nike_chicks_dig_the_long_ball.swf[/flash]

On the contrary, my friend... We're never going to lose again. What's that now..? 89 wins in a row, or something.

Ross, mate - I'm a Red Sox fan. I'm worried when we have a 8 game lead with six to play...

I thought there record was worse than 9-6.

That's alright considering the struggles Ortiz and Ellsbury are going through.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg854115#msg854115 date=1240854888]
I think you swept them.
[/quote]

Watched every pitch of games 2 and 3, amigo. And followed along online for game 1. 😉

Loved watching my boy Tek's Grand Slam sail ouuta Fenway...

Their pitching has three rock stars and a bunch of bit parts - I think they may struggle this season.

Back
Top Bottom