• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg861188#msg861188 date=1241718521]
WOW ... 50 game suspension for Manny Ramirez, one of the main cogs in the Red Sox's revival. How much do their world series wins become tainted now, considering he was so important in helping to win them?

NEW YORK (AP)—Manny Ramirez(notes) was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport’s drug scandals.

The Los Angeles Dodgers star said he did not take steroids and was prescribed medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. The commissioner’s office didn’t announce the specific violation by the 36-year-old outfielder, who apologized to the Dodgers and fans for “this whole situation.â€

“Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me,†Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players’ union.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.â€

The suspension began Thursday and barring any postponements Ramriez will be able to return to the Dodgers—who now have the best record in baseball—for the July 3 game at San Diego. Ramirez will lose about $7.65 million of his $25 million salary.
[/quote]

He wasn't found guilty of anything as a Sock, Avy...

In principal, I'm dissapointed because I know in my heart that he was dirty when with us. This proves it. But in reality, this doesn't sully any TEAM achievement more than any other vital cog on any other championship team being caught would, because, as we all know, practically everybody was doing it.

Not condoning it at all. You know me... Cheating is cheating. But you can bet your bottom dollar than many of the pitchers, catchers and outfielders that were trying to get him out 6 times a night were also cheats.

It's too bad. But it's hardly unexpected.

And there have been no CURRENT high profile Red Sox mentioned on any of those lists that have been bandied about. I do like to think that we try to run a tighter ship than most out there...

He doesn't look like a steroid user, he looks fat. I'm genuinely surprised by it.

If the Red Sox had any dignity they'd hand back those World Series'

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg862184#msg862184 date=1241801445]
He doesn't look like a steroid user, he looks fat. I'm genuinely surprised by it.

If the Red Sox had any dignity they'd hand back those World Series'
[/quote]

Why don't we just mail 'em to Toronto instead, eh?

I'm an old bo sox fan that lost interest but recently decided to start paying attention again. I see wakefield is still playing. Fucking hell.

Yeah, the one major downfall of the 360 is that all the baseball games bar one are unusable on PAL systems. It's annoying.

Oakland have a pitcher called Josh Outman. Is that the best name ever for a pitcher ?

It's like having Johnny Homerun taking an AB.

Despite being a red sox fan for years (since channel five started) I'm growing a soft spot for the Detroit Tigers. I saw them once when in Detroit. I've already foolishly fallen in love with the Lions. I don't know what to do.

Rangers are 20-14 ... doing well.

Getting really nice pitching from Millwood & Harrison (a CG win today), and Padilla has recently 'returned'.

The hitting is fantastic, as usual - I'm really impressed by Elvis Andrus (the rook at SS) and the Omar Vizquel/Andruw Jones. All doing a great job.

what the hell has happened to Big Papi?

30+ games played, .208 average, 0 - yes 0, HRS and only 15 rbis ...

Whatever it is, Boston need this lad ...

I have a confession. As the Yankees are shown here almost everyday I have been keeping an eye on their results for the past 3-4 years.

Does this make me a fan?

PS Please dont ban me.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg867366#msg867366 date=1242382157]
ban you? I don't even know you no more.
[/quote]

I'm like the pariah of the 'Other Sports Forum'. Lakers + Yankees.

Hahaha.

Maybe I should support the Patriots and the Red Wings.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg867258#msg867258 date=1242377182]

[/quote]

I wonder .....

Could it be he's missing Manny ?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg867633#msg867633 date=1242410039]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg867258#msg867258 date=1242377182]

[/quote]

I wonder .....

Could it be he's missing Manny ?
[/quote]

Who wouldn't?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg867753#msg867753 date=1242425941]
You ?

If you look at his numbers :
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=745&position=DH

There's a massive upswing in production from when he joined the Red Sox. Given Manny has been caught, and Lou Merloni says a Boston team doctor told the team in a meeting how to take steroids safely .... you gotta wonder.

[/quote]

From a production standpoint, of course I do.

From a "he's a f#$!ing spolit child who's no longer worth the hassle" standpoint, I don't.

And I'm sure that EVERYBODY was doing it, including my beloved Sox, unfortunately.

Buster Onley's take on Manny:

Privately, the Dodgers are very angry with Manny Ramirez -- and I can imagine Frank McCourt's hitting the roof again when this story from Lance Pugmire in the Los Angeles Times drops on his doorstep this morning. Even though Ramirez was suspended for use of hCG, the evidence pointing to further performance-enhancing drug use continues to mount.

Ramirez's testosterone level was found to be more than four times the norm for the average adult male, ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada reported earlier this week.

So for McCourt, there is evidence that what he paid for is a player whose stunning performance at age 36 might have been built on the use of performance-enhancing drugs. He agreed to a $45 million deal based on the presumption that Ramirez was clean and would continue to be a highly marketable tool.

But now McCourt might strongly suspect that what he paid for was a slugger jacked up on steroids.

Peter Gammons recently wrote a column about the stunning improvement in Ramirez's performance in 2008:

From 1998 through 2005, Ramirez averaged 41 homers a season. When he was traded July 31, he was on pace to hit 27 homers, a season after hitting 20.

What is the truth, according to Ramirez? We don't know, because Ramirez isn't talking publicly -- other than a brief statement released shortly after news of his 50-game suspension broke. He hasn't spoken to his teammates or reporters.

Until he does that -- and even after -- we are free to wonder whether Ramirez made the decision to juice to improve his chances of getting a big contract. We are free to wonder whether he weighed the possible risks and rewards and decided it would be worth it to roll the dice. We are free to wonder whether he decided it was OK to cheat his fellow union members and take money from McCourt under false pretenses.

The San Diego Padres have agreed to trade staff ace Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox and are waiting for Peavy to decide if he will waive his no-trade clause, sources tell ESPN.

Peavy has a full no-trade clause and can veto the deal.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg872428#msg872428 date=1242956407]
And approx. 7 seconds later, he did.
[/quote]

loyalty to his home town team, *thumbs up*

Is the AL East the strongest division or what?

Yankees 10 in a row, BoSox beat the Blue Jays and are now 1 game behind them, the Rays are 2 games below .500.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=32593.msg872471#msg872471 date=1242971681]
Is the AL East the strongest division or what?

Yankees 10 in a row, BoSox beat the Blue Jays and are now 1 game behind them, the Rays are 2 games below .500.
[/quote]

Without question.

Back
Top Bottom