• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

MLB '09 Thread

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32593.msg854226#msg854226 date=1240867379]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg854115#msg854115 date=1240854888]
I think you swept them.
[/quote]

Watched every pitch of games 2 and 3, amigo. And followed along online for game 1. 😉

Loved watching my boy Tek's Grand Slam sail ouuta Fenway...

Their pitching has three rock stars and a bunch of bit parts - I think they may struggle this season.
[/quote]

excellent

Rangers are 9-10. Same shit though as always - extremely good hitting (how good is Kinsler????) but little to no pitching.

THere are some surprise teams this year. The Jays are 14-7 so far ! Nobody expected any offense but Hill, Overbay, Snider and LInd are realy getting it done.

Everybody thought the Mariners would be shit, nobody thought the Royals would do this well either.

It's great to see things are so competitive.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg854366#msg854366 date=1240901142]
THere are some surprise teams this year. The Jays are 14-7 so far ! Nobody expected any offense but Hill, Overbay, Snider and LInd are realy getting it done.

Everybody thought the Mariners would be shit, nobody thought the Royals would do this well either.

It's great to see things are so competitive.
[/quote]

the season is 162 games long though and i'll be very very surprised if either of the 3 teams you mentioned (bar perhaps the Mariners, who are in an 'easy' divsion) are in contention for a playoff sport.

The Royals have good pitching though.

Grienke has yet to give up an earned run this season. Bannister has only started two games but he's a big prospect for them and has an ERA of something like 0.70 after his two starts , one of which was against the hottest offense in the game at the moment, the Bluejays. Meche is a pretty good pitcher too.

NEW YORK (AP)—Alex Rodriguez may have been using steroids when he was a highly touted high school player and was suspected of using performance-enhancers while playing for the New York Yankees, according to a soon-to-be-released book.

The Daily News reported in Thursday’s edition that Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts’ upcoming book “A-Rod†offers an unflattering portrait of the MVP slugger as a needy personality who wanted his ego stroked constantly.

The paper doesn’t say how it obtained a copy of the Harper Collins book, scheduled to be released on May 12.

A high school teammate of A-Rod’s told Roberts that the future No. 1 draft pick was on steroids as a prep player and his coach knew it—an allegation the coach, Rich Hoffman, denied.

Rodriguez has admitted to using performance-enhancers while with the Texas Rangers but insists he gave up the habit when he was traded to the Yankees in 2004.

In the book, however, an unnamed major leaguer is quoted as saying A-Rod and former Yankees pitcher Kevin Brown, who was named in the Mitchell Report, were seen together with human growth hormone—or HGH—in 2004.

The book also goes on to say that two anonymous Yankees said they believed A-Rod was using banned substances based on visual side effects, and that a clubhouse staffer said management had a suspicion that that the third baseman may have been juicing.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=32593.msg856015#msg856015 date=1241079371]
Fuck A-Rod.

Having said that, I haven't decided on a team to support yet.
[/quote]

TEXAS RANGERS!!!

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=32593.msg856015#msg856015 date=1241079371]
Fuck A-Rod.

Having said that, I haven't decided on a team to support yet.
[/quote]

Well, the yankees have a marketing and strategic partnership with the scum.

So why not cheer for their arch-nemesis?

Welcome to Red Sox Nation.

I didn't believe he just used them during his time with the Rangers.

He truly is A-Fraud.

Nobody does, mate.

He's the most phony player out there, and the whole world hopes he never wins a WS.

Consider how people feel about Junior Griffey, and go 180 degrees from there.

He's a prick.

more about the A-rod book:

NEW YORK -- Journalist Selena Roberts makes the case that Alex Rodriguez likely used steroids in high school and may have taken HGH while with the Yankees in her new biography of the MVP, a portrait of a deeply insecure man trying to cope with being abandoned by his father and obsessed with becoming a superstar.

The release of "A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez" has been moved up to Monday because details of Rodriguez' possible drug use as a teenager and as a Yankee leaked out over the past week. Rodriguez has refused comment, and Yankees manager Joe Girardi questioned Sunday why the book was even written.

In the book, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, Roberts traces much of the slugger's behavior to his father's decision to separate from the family when Alex was 10.

"I think like any child, you never want to be abandoned again. In order to sort of keep people near him, people close, please people, I think he always felt that he had to be better than good," Roberts said in a telephone interview Sunday.

"I think in some ways he felt he had to be, you know, not just a great story, but a tall tale, something that was too good to be true in so many ways."

For her, a key insight into A-Rod's character comes with what some might call a fib: He tells people he hit with wood bats in high school because that's what the pros use, even though she found photo evidence he used metal.

The pattern of embellishment and outright deceit continues through his admitted used of steroids in the major leagues, Roberts contends.

Following Roberts' article on SI.com in February that said Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003 as part of baseball's anonymous survey, Rodriguez admitted using performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-03 while with Texas. Roberts concludes he likely had to have used steroids while in high school, before Seattle selected him with the top pick in the 1993 amateur draft.

"I've talked to players who say he was using in high school, but if you want to discard that, you look at the physical evidence," she told the AP. "You look at a player who by his own coach's account was unrecognizable his junior year because his body had changed so much. Scouts didn't recognize him. In his sophomore year he could barely bench press 100 pounds. By his junior year, he was bench pressing 300 pounds."

She writes that after Rodriguez joined the Yankees, "a player told me he had witnessed a strange scene: [Kevin] Brown and Alex had ampules of HGH in their possession at Yankee Stadium." Brown denied that account through his lawyer.

Major League Baseball has interviewed Dodd Romero, Rodriguez's former trainer, as part of its follow up effort to check the veracity of statements Rodriguez made to the sport's investigators in March, a baseball official said Sunday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the disclosure wasn't authorized.

Baseball also hopes to interview Yuri Sucart, the official said. Sucart has been identified as the cousin who provided Rodriguez with steroids obtained in the Dominican Republic.

But more interesting than the drug accusations is the psychological portrait of a needy Rodriguez desperately trying to create a lovable image yet wrecking it by running around with strippers, going to a "swingers' club" and to illegal poker venues. Roberts called it "a battle he is waging" that's made him a staple of the gossip pages.

"He went through a phase where, I think, and maybe he's still going through the phase, I don't know, where he really I think felt as if he had transcended baseball and reached a different level with the public, on a higher celebrity level, than he was as a ballplayer," she said.

That celebrity only has increased in the past two years as he got interested in Kaballah, became friends with Madonna and divorced his wife Cynthia. While most Yankees who live in Manhattan take apartments on the East Side, convenient for traveling to the ballpark, Rodriguez has rented a $30,000-a-month apartment two blocks from Madonna's Manhattan residence on the West Side.

"I think it is a mystery in so many ways but I think what is not a mystery and what is in fact true from the teammates I've talked to and from the people around him is that he was infatuated with her," Roberts said. "I think a lot of people want to write it off as publicity and dismiss it easily as something that was manufactured, but you have to remember that real people did get hurt. There was divorce that was filed afterwards. There were a lot of changes in his life that were, you know, not about a publicity stunt."

For much of his career, Rodriguez has shown what Roberts says is "a well-honed, very orchestrated personality. ... years in the making of trying to create a persona that would mesh well with the corporate world." At the same time, she writes "the abandoned boy within Alex Rodriguez made him particularly gullible to the influence of successful, authoritative men, so it was easy for (agent) Scott Boras to manipulate him like a sock puppet."

Roberts said she remains hopeful for Rodriguez, who likely will rejoin the Yankees within a week following his recovery from hip surgery.

"I do think there's a very good Alex in there," said Roberts, who spent six months reporting and writing the book. "I think the good Alex has a very good shot at winning. I think the good Alex is there for all of us to see for the next nine years. ... No matter what stage he seems to go through, what sort of incarnation he seems to go through, I think that he is at heart a pretty tenderhearted person."

In case anyone missed this record tying feat:

Carl Crawford could not be caught Sunday. The speedy Crawford tied a modern MLB record with six stolen bases against the Red Sox, joining an elite group along the way.

6 SB In Game Since 1900
Team
Carl Crawford '09 Rays
Eric Young '96 Rockies
Otis Nixon '91 Braves
Eddie Collins '12 Athletics (twice)

I wonder how many people remember Otis Nixon!!!

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32593.msg858471#msg858471 date=1241443554]
In case anyone missed this record tying feat:

Carl Crawford could not be caught Sunday. The speedy Crawford tied a modern MLB record with six stolen bases against the Red Sox, joining an elite group along the way.

6 SB In Game Since 1900
Team
Carl Crawford '09 Rays
Eric Young '96 Rockies
Otis Nixon '91 Braves
Eddie Collins '12 Athletics (twice)

I wonder how many people remember Otis Nixon!!!
[/quote]

Crawford is in my fantasy team ! Happy days.

Who did he steal on ? Was it Wakefield ?

Brad Penny and Varitek.

I despise Tampa Bay and everything about them... Their pathetic "stadium", sans bullpen, they stupid, obnoxious fans who think that one successful year ever and they're suddenly important, and that f#$!ing team of arrogant wankers, who until one lucky (deserved, but oft fortunate) season were mostly nobodies.

I HATE them.

They're like chelsea - They come out of nowhere one day and expect to be respected, when they've done nothing , ever to warrant it.

Tossers.

Unlike Chelsea though at least they are home grown rather than a big money team.

Red Sox, 4-0 vs the Yankees in '09! Long may that last.

Rangers 13-12 after 25 ... If only the pitching can give us 'decent' stuff, we can make the playoffs as our division seems weak.

Last night, scary moment with Ankiel running into the wall after a nice catch. Read he's recovering ...

[flash=500,450]http://espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=4139091[/flash]

Will the Dodgers make history?

The Los Angeles Dodgers have never felt more comfortable at home in their 48 years at Chavez Ravine.

The Dodgers tied the modern major league record for the longest home winning streak to start a season, improving to 12-0 as Jeff Weaver pitched them to a 3-1 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday night.

Come on you Redbirds! Wainwright, Lohse, Piniero, please remove heads from asses and start pitching. Thank You.

Albert for the Triple Crown. El Hombre... The Machine... and the best right handed hitter ANY of us have ever seen. Unless anyone here was alive to watch Hornsby or maybe DiMaggio.... no, not even him. Just Hornsby then.

they broke the record ... well done:

LOS ANGELES -- Joe Torre settled back into his chair in the cramped manager's office at Dodger Stadium for his postgame interview when he was interrupted by his boss, there to offer a congratulatory handshake.

Torre grasped general manager Ned Colletti's hand firmly and then gave him a carbon copy of the Dodgers' lineup card as a gesture of appreciation.

Torre's Dodgers broke the modern major league record for a home winning streak to start a season with their 13th straight victory, 10-3 over the Washington Nationals on Wednesday night. Torre's cap from the game will be sent to Cooperstown, according to a team official.

WOW ... 50 game suspension for Manny Ramirez, one of the main cogs in the Red Sox's revival. How much do their world series wins become tainted now, considering he was so important in helping to win them?

NEW YORK (AP)—Manny Ramirez(notes) was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport’s drug scandals.

The Los Angeles Dodgers star said he did not take steroids and was prescribed medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. The commissioner’s office didn’t announce the specific violation by the 36-year-old outfielder, who apologized to the Dodgers and fans for “this whole situation.â€

“Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me,†Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players’ union.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.â€

The suspension began Thursday and barring any postponements Ramriez will be able to return to the Dodgers—who now have the best record in baseball—for the July 3 game at San Diego. Ramirez will lose about $7.65 million of his $25 million salary.

To answer my own question, it does now.

Apparently Manny has some erectile disfunction and his medication was to deal with that. Poor the Manny.

FAILED TESTS

A complete list of baseball players who have been suspended under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program (since 2005):

Name Team Gms.
Alex Sanchez Rays 10
Jorge Piedra Rockies 10
A. Montero Rangers 10
Jamal Strong Mariners 10
Juan Rincon Twins 10
R. Betancourt Indians 10
R. Palmeiro Orioles 10
Ryan Franklin Mariners 10
Mike Morse Mariners 10
C. Almanzar Rangers 10
Felix Heredia Mets 10
Matt Lawton Yankees 10
Yusaku Iriki Mets 50
Jason Grimsley D-backs 50
Guillermo Mota Mets 50
Juan Salas Rays 50
Neifi Perez Tigers 25
Neifi Perez Tigers 80
Mike Cameron Padres 25
Dan Serafini Rockies 50
Jay Gibbons * Orioles 15
Jose Guillen * Royals 15
Eliezer Alfonzo Giants 50
Henry Owens Marlins 50
J.C. Romero Phillies 50
Sergio Mitre Yankees 50
Manny Ramirez Dodgers 50

* With the modification of the joint drug agreement, the suspensions to Gibbons and Guillen were eliminated.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=32593.msg861256#msg861256 date=1241721487]

Apparently Manny has some erectile disfunction and his medication was to deal with that. Poor the Manny.
[/quote]

All his life he's been watching what he puts into his body... now he takes a pill that helps him put his body into whatever he wants... is there a problem?

Stark's (espn.com) piece on Manny:

We live in a land that loves to forgive, that wants to forgive. And I couldn't be more proud to live in a land like that.

But what are the odds that the citizens of this great land will have any interest in forgiving a scoundrel like Manny Ramirez?

And even if they do, why should they?

Why should they forgive a man who was willing to do something this stupid, and then tried to spin his crime away with a statement saying, essentially, that it was all his dopey doctor's fault?

Why should they forgive a man who just personally sabotaged the magical season of a team like the Dodgers, the only franchise on earth that was willing to overlook his potholed past, work with him to reshape his sullied image and even build its whole franchise around his sweet swing, his flowing locks and his endearing smile?

Why?

Why would the fans of any team, let alone this team, ever believe in Manny again?

We've learned over the years that it IS possible for drug-stained players to get a second chance. But Manny has already seriously endangered any shot he might have had that he could be one of those players. Let's explain why.

The players who found forgiveness weren't players who asked for forgiveness. They were players who earned that forgiveness.

They were guys like Andy Pettitte, whose prior reputations were pristine to begin with. Who then stepped forward and told their story in a way that people could relate to.

They told you what they did. They told you why they did it. They didn't toss out half-baked explanations that were shot down by the fact checkers 20 minutes later.

Most important, they took responsibility -- ALL the responsibility. They didn't try to drag their doctors or their teammates or their knucklehead cousins into the line of fire. They said, "I'M the one who did this. Blame me."

And when they were through telling their stories, they seemed genuine. Believable. Human. Those are the kinds of people we forgive in this country -- people who give us reason to forgive.

But now let's look at Manny, and how he compares with members of that group.

What word would we use to assess his prior reputation? Hmmm, "pristine" is probably out, right?

The non-New Englanders out there might describe that reputation as, um, checkered. Or complicated. Or confusing.

Red Sox fans, on the other hand, would clearly have some other words in mind. Words we shouldn't be using in casual family conversation. Words that certainly won't be uttered on any episodes of "Teletubbies."

But those words don't matter now. All that matters is that Manny had built up a dubious amount of trust and faith to begin with -- except with the segment of the population known as "Dodgers fans."

So there aren't many folks out there who were predisposed to give him the benefit of any sort of doubt here. That's the point. And why would they?

But now let's look at how Manny has chosen to explain away how he happened to get himself in this mess:

"Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me. Unfortunately … "

All right, enough of that carefully crafted public statement. We get the picture.

Our first inclination, on first glance, is to feel a pang of sympathy here. After all, who among us hasn't had a personal health issue? Who among us hasn't seen a physician for that issue? Who among us hasn't been given a medication to treat that issue?

It sounds so innocent … so downright normal.

But hold on.

Turns out that this physician he saw wasn't the team doctor -- the physician that 99 percent of all players see when they have a "personal health issue" during spring training or the season.

Turns out that this physician wasn't even located in the state of Arizona, where the Dodgers happened to be holding spring training at the time this "personal health issue" cropped up. He was actually located 2,000 miles away, in Florida.

Oh. OK.

Also turns out that the "personal health issue" was, well, what exactly? It was an issue that caused this physician to prescribe a female fertility drug, obviously. And already, you can feel Manny's seemingly innocent story crumbling like ancient Rome.

It wasn't as if he had a toothache here, and he needed a prescription for a painkiller. It wasn't as if he had a sinus infection, and he needed a prescription for an antibiotic.

He was taking a -- what? -- a female fertility drug? Why? Maybe he just wanted to marry the octo-mom. Ya got me.

I've read through all the prescribed uses I could find online for human chorionic gonadotropin (similar to Clomid), which ESPN.com is reporting is the drug in question. And let me tell you -- I'm almost 100 percent certain that Manny wasn't suffering from an inability to ovulate. Or polycystic ovarian syndrome. And if he was, there's a lot more he hasn't been telling us than what really went on in those bizarre final days in Boston.

If you read more extensively about this drug, though, you'll learn that it IS occasionally used to address male infertility. Except if you read the small print, you'll also learn that, according to sharedjourney.com:

"The FDA has not approved the use of Clomid in men, nor has it been found to be especially effective."

Great. So why would a doctor be prescribing it for a guy like Manny, then?

Good question, huh?

A truly upstanding male-fertility doctor wouldn't be likely to do that, right? And a truly upstanding doctor treating a professional athlete would also be likely to know it could cause him to set off a major drug-testing alarm, right?

So where's the logical explanation here? That's a question all rational Americans should be asking right now.

We'd all love to believe that Manny's intent, in taking this drug, was pure and well-intentioned. We'd all love to believe that his "personal health issue" was serious enough to require unorthodox treatment that isn't even approved by the FDA.

But face it, friends, if all the reporting is accurate, that would take the sort of leap of faith only Robbie Knievel ought to attempt.

We also need to recognize something important about baseball's testing program: Its intent is not to catch innocent people who are using run-of-the-mill prescription medications because of pesky "personal health issues."

Basically, the list of substances that can get you flagged fall into three categories:

1. Stuff you'd use to cheat.

2. Stuff you'd use to push the envelope as far as possible in the hope of legally enhancing performance.

3. Stuff you'd use to treat a condition that falls under baseball's limited list of "Therapeutic Medical Exemptions," such as ADD.

But there are no indications that either Manny or his doctors ever contacted the union or MLB seeking any type of Therapeutic Medical Exemption. So there goes that potential for an innocent mistake. And if that's out, what does that leave?

He was using whatever he was using to enhance performance. That's what.

I'd honestly like to believe I'm wrong about that. Honestly. I admire great athletes, and I enjoy watching Manny hit. Honestly.

So I hope there's some more sensible explanation coming. Really. I hope there's a happy ending to this story. I mean it.

I don't like watching anyone's life free-fall to the bottom of the same canyon where, say, Roger Clemens has been booted over the past year and a half. I'm not sure anybody deserves that treatment just for allegedly taking the wrong substance at the wrong time.

As a friend of mine once said, no matter what these guys did, they don't deserve to get treated as if they're worse than O.J.

But after the sad events of this memorable Thursday in May, it's tough to like the odds of Manny Ramirez escaping that fate.

This time -- unlike those euphoric Manny-mania days of last summer -- it's going to take more than just his magic bat and those flowing dreadlocks to win over his no-longer-adoring public.

Decent article. It's nice when someone does a little research. I actually did the same upon hearing the story last night, what he says about HCG is correct - it's not the best way to treat the problem Manny is claiming. Viagra and the like are proven to be better.

Here's a paragraph about it :

In the world of performance enhancing drugs, hCG is increasingly used in combination with various anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) cycles. It is included in some sports' illegal drug lists.

When AAS are put into a male body, the body's natural negative-feedback loops cause the body to shut down its own production of testosterone via shutdown of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis (HPGA). It is a common misconception that estrogen will be elevated post cycle. Generally, estrogen is below a normal level after a cycle.[11] High levels of AASs that mimic the body's natural testosterone trigger the hypothalamus to shut down its production of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) from the hypothalamus. Without GnRH, the pituitary gland stops releasing luteinizing hormone (LH). LH normally travels from the pituitary via the blood stream to the testes, where it triggers the production and release of testosterone. Without LH, the testes shut down their production of testosterone, causing testicular atrophy.

In males, hCG mimics LH and helps restore and maintain testosterone production in the testes. As such, hCG is commonly used during and after steroid cycles to maintain and restore testicular size as well as endogenous testosterone production. However, if hCG is used for too long and in too high a dose, the resulting rise in natural testosterone will eventually inhibit its own production via negative feedback on the hypothalamus and pituitary.

Mariano has given up four homers in his last five appearances. Is it a sign he's finally showing his age ?

Another Manny article states the following:

ESPN reported earlier that testing showed Ramirez had used hCG, which is typically used by steroid users to restart their bodies' natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

Ramirez's case was set off when a test in spring training revealed he had elevated levels of testosterone in his body. MLB followed up with a more comprehensive test that confirmed the testosterone had to come from an artificial source, the sources said.

While investigating, MLB obtained documents that indicated Ramirez's use of hCG, and it was those documents that formally were used to hand down the 50-game suspension. Baseball decided to suspend Ramirez for only hCG because, in the end, he would have been suspended for just the 50 games either way. There was a chance Ramirez could have proved that the testosterone did not come from a banned substance, the MLB source said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

Back
Top Bottom