• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mo Salah’s Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Ok all jokes and emotion aside.

Obviously on one extreme we have fans who say he’s our best player even when having a ‘poor’ season and then we have Momo who hates his fucking guts and wants him out of our club.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Looking at his number his average rating this season has been 7.3/10 which is above average.

Carragher made the point in the broadcast that he’s arguably been our best outfield player this season. I guess the old saying that the hardest thing to do in football is score goals as his record seems to not only mask his shortcomings but also grate those who see a failing star who’s lost his ability to beat a man and a yard or 5 of pace. Not to mention his questionable distribution and work rate out of possession.
Some have suggested playing him centrally to continue to get the best out of his aging body.

Comp Games Goals Assists BCC BCM Shot A
EPL 30 15 7 11 16 41%
CL 8 8 2
LC 1 1 0
FA 3 1 1
CS 1 1 1
Total 43 26 11
21/22 51 31 16
20/21 51 31 6
19/20 48 23 13
18/19 52 27 12
17/18 52 44 16

So numbers wise he’s on track to crack 30 goals again and have his joint second best season with assists. That’s not to mention he has missed two penalties and we only got two!!
Also interesting to see his numbers are bananas in the cups which might explain the anger as he’s only been 1 in 2 in the league.
In the cups it’s P 13 G 11 A 4

So where do people lie with Salah now?

Last edited:
He has had a rough season but still has great numbers. As Klopp says our pressing game has been back to normal since the 2nd half vs Arsenal (long may it continue). These last two games have also seen a lot of the players perform to their usual standards.

I'll say what I've said all long. Salah is still boss, and will continue to deliver once we set up the midfield and tactics correct.

Ok all jokes and emotion aside.

Obviously on one extreme we have fans who say he’s our best player even when having a ‘poor’ season and then we have Momo who hates his fucking guts and wants him out of our club.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Looking at his number his average rating this season has been 7.3/10 which is above average.

Carragher made the point in the broadcast that he’s arguably been our best outfield player this season. I guess the old saying that the hardest thing to do in football is score goals as his record seems to not only mask his shortcomings but also grate those who see a failing star who’s lost his ability to beat a man and a yard or 5 of pace. Not to mention his questionable distribution and work rate out of possession.
Some have suggested playing him centrally to continue to get the best out of his aging body.

Comp Games Goals Assists BCC BCM Shot A
EPL 30 15 7 11 16 41%
CL 8 8 2
LC 1 1 0
FA 3 1 1
CS 1 1 1
Total 43 26 11
21/22 51 31 16
20/21 51 31 6
19/20 48 23 13
18/19 52 27 12
17/18 52 44 16

So numbers wise he’s on track to crack 30 goals again and have his joint second best season with assists. That’s not to mention he has missed two penalties and we only got two!!
Also interesting to see his numbers are bananas in the cups which might explain the anger as he’s only been 1 in 2 in the league.
In the cups it’s P 13 G 11 A 4

So where do people lie with Salah now?
He will be 31 and we have to think about the future, as I said before PSG offer £80m+ I would sell.

You have to be feeling some sense of deja vu when reading suggestions about moving Salah central to get the best out of him. It’s the kind of discussion we had with Mane not so long ago.

He remains the star man of this team and his output has been decent if not quite as reliable as in the past.

His general play however, has left a lot to be desired and whilst we've had glimpses of him at his best (e.g. Man Utd away), the consistency has been very poor. That has fueled much of the criticism and perhaps you might have to dig deeper into the stats to find evidence of it.

The conclusion?

It's probably one that we all kinda knew already.

Salah is not a Gerrard type leading man. He cannot carry this team alone. He needs to be part of a functioning attacking unit and a functioning team.

Was extending him as he's on the way down the right decision? We'll find out over the next season or two.

Some of the magic has gone, but his fitness and output is consistent and we've been reliant on both. I'd open to selling him in 2024 if a decent offer comes in but for now we've got far more work to do in other areas.

He's seemed like this to me since about 18/19, ie not very impressive to actually watch - never really beats a man, constantly just running into defenders and misplacing passes, somehow not as quick as he looks. Oh, and scoring about 25 a season.

So it all just seems like business as usual if you ask me. He's just really good at finding space in the box I guess? Anyway, he's the least of our problems.

So he's on course for his best season statistically if you discount his crazy first season here?

Not too shabby that. I reckon he'll finish on 32 goals and 17 assists.

4 more to get into the top 5 ... impressive, regardless of how you judge him.

337890196_213447254631447_1844072423796402195_n.jpg

Aye he'll easily break into the top 5 before the season's done over with.

Sure he'll be compared to the others above him but he can only be regarded as a legend of this club.

I think if we can create lots of chances and we don't rely on him for any work off the ball, he can be useful.

I also think that is true of several players and doesn't really fit with how we play. As Peter says, he is playing much the same as ever, though he's a little bit slower and a little bit more tired.

His finishing this last game was probably the best we've seen from him all season. If he can hit a level like that it will make us a different proposition. I'd love for that to happen, I'd love for him to be more of a difference maker.

I just don't think our main problem, in terms of dropped points, is "can we score a bunch of goals when entirely dominant."

Interesting stat on Sky last night for goals scored by players having taken two touches or more before shooting. Salah & Nunez were both on 50 attempts and 2 goals, wildly worse than anyone else.

Interesting stat on Sky last night for goals scored by players having taken two touches or more before shooting. Salah & Nunez were both on 50 attempts and 2 goals, wildly worse than anyone else.

I saw that graphic, the top 5 were all midfielders I think, apart from Watkins. Kind of suggests it might not be the fairest measure. Did they go on to compare them to actual strikers?

I kinda agree with Carragher that Salah's been taken for granted - such is the high standards he has set. Team performances - esp. starting games on the wrong foot and defensive frailty can make things much more difficult. Since 2 of the famed front trio has either left or isn't playing as often, even more "responsibility/blame/limelight" is placed on him.

Untitled.jpg

League stats:

Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, its insane given the other areas were we need to focus. Salah hasnt been or will be the problem.

He remains the star man of this team and his output has been decent if not quite as reliable as in the past.

His general play however, has left a lot to be desired and whilst we've had glimpses of him at his best (e.g. Man Utd away), the consistency has been very poor. That has fueled much of the criticism and perhaps you might have to dig deeper into the stats to find evidence of it.

The conclusion?

It's probably one that we all kinda knew already.

Salah is not a Gerrard type leading man. He cannot carry this team alone. He needs to be part of a functioning attacking unit and a functioning team.

Was extending him as he's on the way down the right decision? We'll find out over the next season or two.

This is how I really feel and think we will end up regretting that contract in the final two years.

Yesterday was great to see him looking and being dangerous again. That said, if we get a very good offer in the summer, we should hear them out.

Not snap a hand off and not reject immediately. Hear them out.

This season has been a real good lesson in the need to sell high, reinvest, and purchase well. You know, the way we used to.

I really do love Mo and he is an undisputed club legend. Part of me wants to see him finish his career with us and break every scoring record. The other part of me wants to win a lot of trophies. And that second part has to win out.

There is little chance we will push him out. We are just not that kind of club, at least not under Klopp.

With that said, if a crazy offer come in at the end of the season, I suspect we might sell.

He had a poor spell earlier in the year there is no getting away from it, that happens to most striker sat some point, but he has 7 in his last 7 games and generally looked sharper. I expect him to add to it over the relatively easier run in we have coming up. If he gets 20 league goals again, and he could, then we will have to look elsewhere for our scapegoats again.

Hes probably never going to hit 30+ in the league again, we have to accept that. But that's a ridiculous standard to hold him to.

Damn lies of course. It's a very weird metric and has little to do with their actual scoring prowess (or lack of). Minutes per goal is the gold standard, the rest immaterial.

I kinda agree with Carragher that Salah's been taken for granted - such is the high standards he has set. Team performances - esp. starting games on the wrong foot and defensive frailty can make things much more difficult. Since 2 of the famed front trio has either left or isn't playing as often, even more "responsibility/blame/limelight" is placed on him.

View attachment 2614

League stats:

View attachment 2615

That's a remarkably consistent return over the years - even more so this season when considering how poor we've been and how few goals we've scored compared to other recent seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom