• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Poll Nationality of England's Manager?

Prefix for Poll Threads

English or Foreigner?

• English

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Nationality doesn't matter

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would everyone involved need to be from that nation?
English physio, English kit man, English head chef?

Makes sense I suppose

Jeezzez, how fucking narrow minded. The manager can have any nationality. Just get the best man for the job. But I’d say if you continue with an English manager you wont win anything given the managers in the game now.

Who was the last English manager to win a major trophy? Club or international football.

I thought keys was cancelled and exiled ages ago, why is anyone interested?

carragher should probably explain himself though rather than getting personal with the damned

Keys is known to be no particular friend of ours though. I suspect that played at least a background role in Carra's reaction.

Overall the situation reminds me of where we were towards the end of GH's time in charge. He'd done a good job getting rid of the Spice Boys attitude within the club, culminating in that amazing Treble Year, but it became clear after that that he wasn't the guy to take us to the title. Southgate has improved the England team set-up and IMO deserves credit for that, but I don't reckon he'll be capable of taking the next step up with them. The next England manager needs to be someone who can put the icing on the cake and I don't see a current English manager who would be likely to fit that description.

Last edited:
I think Carra has a point, but if it's Big Sam or Tuchel I know who I'd pick.
But yeah, ideally the manager should be English or a product of English football

I read somewhere that BRodgers was in the running to be next England manager.

Please make it so - I bet he’s got a great PowerPoint preso and envelopes with the names of 3 players that’ll miss penalties all ready to go.

All national managers are either shit or semi retired anyway.

If they weren't shit, they'd be managing a major CL side, not picking a side every few months for laughs. In that light, I think being English might be very useful.

It's a bit of a pointless argument given that loads of the other nations hire managers from wherever but I agree that managers (like the players) should be from the country they're representing.

I also think that sticking naturalized citizens in the team (just because they've spent a few years playing in the country) is also pretty sketchy and should be banned.

It's a bit different for younger players that grow up / develop in different places but there is no way that the likes of Deco, Senna, Diego Costa and Eduardo Silva, for example, should've been able to represent anyone but Brazil.

I wonder if those in the English manager camp will change their mind if someone like Ancelotti is willing to take up the job?

National managers should be representatives of their country, as it is about best of the country vs best of another country after all.
But then should clubs only field local players and managers only? That might actually be fun. We'd be shit but it would be interesting to have an all scouser side with Thommo and Gerrard barking instructions.

It's a bit of a pointless argument given that loads of the other nations hire managers from wherever but I agree that managers (like the players) should be from the country they're representing.

I also think that sticking naturalized citizens in the team (just because they've spent a few years playing in the country) is also pretty sketchy and should be banned.

It's a bit different for younger players that grow up / develop in different places but there is no way that the likes of Deco, Senna, Diego Costa and Eduardo Silva, for example, should've been able to represent anyone but Brazil.

Interesting thought. From Morocco's first eleven in the team that beat Portugal, only four were born or raised in Morocco. Bono, Saiss, Hakimi, Amrabat, Ziyech, En-Nesyri and Boufal are essentially Europeans.

Makes you wonder whether a person's identity is simply a matter of choice.

I do agree though, that there has to be some connection.

Interesting thought. From Morocco's first eleven in the team that beat Portugal, only four were born or raised in Morocco. Bono, Saiss, Hakimi, Amrabat, Ziyech, En-Nesyri and Boufal are essentially Europeans.

Makes you wonder whether a person's identity is simply a matter of choice.

I do agree though, that there has to be some connection.

I get someone like Hakimi opting to play for the country of their family - growing up in a Moroccan household with the culture and all that.

It's different to making a calculated decision to playing for a country you have no real ties to based on the fact that you're not likely to get a shot for your home country.

I've always thought managers of International football should be managers of that nation so I kind of agree with Sam Wallace....but that has to go for every nation.

Italians Spanish Dutch Portuguese French Brazilians etc have all followed in suit for the last 20+ years so why shouldn't we?

Eriksson and Capello shouldn't ever be managing England
Martinez shouldn't ever be managing the Belgians.
Bielsa/Sampaoli shouldn't ever be managing Chile
Bento shouldn't ever be managing South Korea

I get someone like Hakimi opting to play for the country of their family - growing up in a Moroccan household with the culture and all that.

It's different to making a calculated decision to playing for a country you have no real ties to based on the fact that you're not likely to get a shot for your home country.

Like Matty Cash playing for Poland? I personally agree, things like this shouldn't be permissable.

Jeezzez, how fucking narrow minded. The manager can have any nationality. Just get the best man for the job. But I’d say if you continue with an English manager you wont win anything given the managers in the game now.

Wow, I can't even... just wow.
Why would it have to be a man!? what about just the best 'person' for the job? regardless of identity, colour, race,gender? In fact an intersectionality diverse person might be the best person for the role.
So, yh, check your privilege and leave out the micro aggressions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom