• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA Regular Season Thread & Playoffs

Whaddapie

Celtics rings & banner ceremony tonight ... Very emotional stuff...

PP crying like a little girl.

Isn't sport ace?

That's what it'll be like in May if our dreams come true this season - The two teams situations are practically mirror images of each other over the past 20 odd years.

Re: NBA Regular Season Thread

Meh.

Oden sprained his ankle in his first game for the Blazers, who were whipped by the Lakers. The Lakers lineup is scary, going up to 10 deep.

Why was the title of my thread changed?

This wasn't going to be a generic NBA thread - It was team & event specific.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=28209.msg709926#msg709926 date=1225291163]
Why was the title of my thread changed?

This wasn't going to be a generic NBA thread - It was team & event specific.
[/quote]

because there's not enough of us who follow it - so i thought better to have one thread with all NBA related stuff ... I hope you're not offended. Well done on the banner and I hope you see one in Big D next year for ONE of our teams at least.

BIG trade today ... The Answer (Allen Iverson) to the Pistson for McDyess and Billups

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg714251#msg714251 date=1225747284]
BIG trade today ... The Answer (Allen Iverson) to the Pistson for McDyess and Billups
[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how Detroit lines up. AI and Hamilton in the backcourt? None of them are true PGs. Start Stuckey and bring AI on as 6th man? Dont think his ego can take it though.

Good trade for Denver though.

[quote author=Pete the Pirate link=topic=28209.msg714414#msg714414 date=1225770317]
Portland's gotta get Oden going or else were screwed

[/quote]

Some insiders saying a deal with Charlotte regarding G. Wallace and Felton could be on the cards. That would give you a sick sick team. Oden-Aldridge- GWallace- Roy- Felton with Rudy as 6th man and Bayless still to come. Faaaark

Early doors, but WHAT A GAME between Atlanta and Boston last night...

Fantastic stuff.

The Hawks look like they could be a threat this season.

Early season thoughts:

The Mavericks will be lucky to get to 0.5000 ... I cannot believe I'm saying it, but they should trade Dirk for a 'potential stud' and a high draft pick ... This team needs re-building.

I think a Lakers/Pistons final is on the cards.

The Mavericks will be lucky to get to 0.5000 ... I cannot believe I'm saying it, but they should trade Dirk for a 'potential stud' and a high draft pick ... This team needs re-building.

I've read some reports that the Mavs would be interested in signing Marbury if he manages to secure a buyout with the Knicks.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg725142#msg725142 date=1226831955]

I've read some reports that the Mavs would be interested in signing Marbury if he manages to secure a buyout with the Knicks.

[/quote]

that would be a very interesting signing ... play him at the 2 off kid? hmmmm SIGN SIGN SIGN (yah my team is desperate)

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg725143#msg725143 date=1226832242]
[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg725142#msg725142 date=1226831955]

[/quote]

that would be a very interesting signing ... play him at the 2 off kid? hmmmm SIGN SIGN SIGN (yah my team is desperate)
[/quote]

The reports I've read say that Terry will stay at the 2 and Marbury will provide scoring of the bench.

The one silver lining I can think of is Kidd's contract comes off the books at the end of the season. With some trading, the Mavs might get under the salary cap and make a run for one of the free agents in 2009.

Golden State have unleashed a real gunner here.

Morrow is shooting the lights out!! Such a pure stroke, and the ball barely hits anything when it goes in the basket. :eek:

how many records will this kid break?

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James replaced Kobe Bryant on Tuesday as the youngest player in NBA history to score 11,000 points.

James (23 years, 324 days) reached the plateau with a wide-open jump shot set up by a great crossover dribble late in the first quarter of the Cavaliers' game with the New Jersey Nets. He came into the game with 10,987 points.

Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers was 25 years, 99 days when he reached 11,000 points.

He had him beat by over a year ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg727582#msg727582 date=1227075026]

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James replaced Kobe Bryant on Tuesday as the youngest player in NBA history to score 11,000 points.

James (23 years, 324 days) reached the plateau with a wide-open jump shot set up by a great crossover dribble late in the first quarter of the Cavaliers' game with the New Jersey Nets. He came into the game with 10,987 points.

Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers was 25 years, 99 days when he reached 11,000 points.

[/quote]

There's an article in ESPN today debating if he will leave Cleveland as a free agent in 2010. To be honest, he needs to leave if he wants to win a title. The way the game is nowadays, you need at least 2 bonafide superstars before you can win a title, cf Spurs, Lakers and Celtics. The Pistons were an exception

What a performance by Pau by the way! Woop!

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg727957#msg727957 date=1227105431]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg727582#msg727582 date=1227075026]

[/quote]

There's an article in ESPN today debating if he will leave Cleveland as a free agent in 2010. To be honest, he needs to leave if he wants to win a title. The way the game is nowadays, you need at least 2 bonafide superstars before you can win a title, cf Spurs, Lakers and Celtics. The Pistons were an exception

What a performance by Pau by the way! Woop!
[/quote]

I read something about NJ being favourites to land him once he becomes free agent.

New Jersey are most likely being moved to Brooklyn in 2010. Jay Z (Lebrons best buddy)+ NY. If they have the cap space its almost a dead set cert. They have been moving their large contracts over the past year (Kidd and Jerfferson) and picking up talented younger players, Harris and Yi. They will move Carter before 2010 too, paving the way for Lebron to take over New York.

[quote author=Jack the Lad link=topic=28209.msg727984#msg727984 date=1227108015]
New Jersey are most likely being moved to Brooklyn in 2010. Jay Z (Lebrons best buddy)+ NY. If they have the cap space its almost a dead set cert. They have been moving their large contracts over the past year (Kidd and Jerfferson) and picking up talented younger players, Harris and Yi. They will move Carter before 2010 too, paving the way for Lebron to take over New York.
[/quote]

I thought the opening of the new stadium was pushed back? I know they clearing their cap space but Lebron wont go there if they still remain in NJ.

Big trades by the Knicks.

First they swapped Jamal Crawford for Al Harrington from Golden State.

Then they dealt Zach Randolph and makeweight Mardy Collins to the Clippers for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley.

With those trades, they will shed $27m from their payroll in 2010, more than enough to make a run for Lebron.

Bloody hell, so many good free agents in 2010. Besides Lebron, there is Bosh, Wade, Stoudamire, Yao, Pierce, Nowitzki.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg729919#msg729919 date=1227317354]
Big trades by the Knicks.

First they swapped Jamal Crawford for Al Harrington from Golden State.

Then they dealt Zach Randolph and makeweight Mardy Collins to the Clippers for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley.

With those trades, they will shed $27m from their payroll in 2010, more than enough to make a run for Lebron.

Bloody hell, so many good free agents in 2010. Besides Lebron, there is Bosh, Wade, Stoudamire, Yao, Pierce, Nowitzki.
[/quote]

How does that free agent thing works? Does a team has a "first refusal" on its player before he becomes a free agent, or does the player have "all the cards"? Do free agents normally move to other teams or do they normally stay with their original team?

With all those names you've mentioed it really looks like an opportunity for teams like the Knicks to change their fortunes.
BTW, Paul Pierce will probably be ~33-34 by 2010. Not sure there will be too many teams queueing for him then.

How does that free agent thing works? Does a team has a "first refusal" on its player before he becomes a free agent, or does the player have "all the cards"? Do free agents normally move to other teams or do they normally stay with their original team?

With all those names you've mentioed it really looks like an opportunity for teams like the Knicks to change their fortunes.
BTW, Paul Pierce will probably be ~33-34 by 2010. Not sure there will be too many teams queueing for him then.

From Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Types_of_free_agency

"There are two types of free agency under the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement: Unrestricted and Restricted. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any team, but a restricted free agent is subject to his current team's Right of First Refusal, meaning that the player can be signed to an offer sheet by another team, but his current club reserves the right to match the offer and keep the player.

An offer sheet is a contract offer of at least 2 years made to a restricted free agent. The player's current club has 7 days to match the offer or loses the player to the new team. For 1st-round draft picks, restricted free agency is only allowed after a team exercises its option for a fourth year, and the team makes a Qualifying Offer at the Rookie-scale amount after the fourth year is completed. For any other player to be a restricted free agent, he must be at most a three-year NBA veteran, and his team must have made a Qualifying Offer for either 125% of his previous season's salary or the minimum salary plus $150,000, whichever offer is higher."

Basically, FAs are like Bosmans, they can move anywhere they want up to the max salary as determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Some teams, like the Knicks now, are planning 2 years in advance to get under the salary cap for the free agent class of 2010. There are rumours that once the expiring contracts are off their books, they want to get Lebron, Bosh and Nash!!!

FWIW, the only free agent who has moved to another team for the max salary and won an NBA title in recent times is Shaq when he moved from Orlando to the Lakers.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg729992#msg729992 date=1227346575]

From Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Types_of_free_agency

"There are two types of free agency under the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement: Unrestricted and Restricted. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any team, but a restricted free agent is subject to his current team's Right of First Refusal, meaning that the player can be signed to an offer sheet by another team, but his current club reserves the right to match the offer and keep the player.

An offer sheet is a contract offer of at least 2 years made to a restricted free agent. The player's current club has 7 days to match the offer or loses the player to the new team. For 1st-round draft picks, restricted free agency is only allowed after a team exercises its option for a fourth year, and the team makes a Qualifying Offer at the Rookie-scale amount after the fourth year is completed. For any other player to be a restricted free agent, he must be at most a three-year NBA veteran, and his team must have made a Qualifying Offer for either 125% of his previous season's salary or the minimum salary plus $150,000, whichever offer is higher."

Basically, FAs are like Bosmans, they can move anywhere they want up to the max salary as determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Some teams, like the Knicks now, are planning 2 years in advance to get under the salary cap for the free agent class of 2010. There are rumours that once the expiring contracts are off their books, they want to get Lebron, Bosh and Nash!!!

FWIW, the only free agent who has moved to another team for the max salary and won an NBA title in recent times is Shaq when he moved from Orlando to the Lakers.

[/quote]

Cheers for the info.
What about Kevin Garnett? Does he not fall into the same category as Shaq (bolded)?

[quote author=Assulin link=topic=28209.msg731060#msg731060 date=1227386798]
Garnett was a trade not a free agent
[/quote]

Yup, Garnett was part of a huge 1 for 6 or 7 player trade.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=28209.msg731494#msg731494 date=1227417360]
[quote author=Assulin link=topic=28209.msg731060#msg731060 date=1227386798]
Garnett was a trade not a free agent
[/quote]

Yup, Garnett was part of a huge 1 for 6 or 7 player trade.
[/quote]

Oops. Silly me!

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg725072#msg725072 date=1226813440]

[/quote]

Wow, how they've turned it around ... With tonight's huge win of the Suns, they're 10-8 and playing really good ball. I doubt they can even make a decent run in the playoffs in they get there but at least they're playing well.

PHOENIX (AP)—The Phoenix Suns jettisoned two familiar players to Charlotte, and got the Bobcats’ leading scorer in exchange.

In the latest move in their ongoing makeover, the Suns traded Raja Bell and Boris Diaw to the Bobcats on Wednesday as part of a deal for Jason Richardson.

“We felt like we needed to shake things up a little bit,†Suns general manager Steve Kerr said. “We wanted to add a great scorer in the backcourt to give us better balance to take some of the pressure off of Steve (Nash).â€

Rookie point guard Sean Singletary also went to Charlotte, while the Suns got small forward Jared Dudley and a 2010 second-round draft pick.

The dynamic Richardson was the center of the deal, though.

great trade for phoenix ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=28209.msg761030#msg761030 date=1230107028]
wow ... Celtics 27-2 ... unreal, best start in NBA history ...
[/quote]

27-3 now. ;)

What a fantastic game! I was late for work because of it.

Huge plays by Gasol in the last 3 minutes. Scored 7 of the last 11 points and a huge block off the 3 by Ray Allen.

Back
Top Bottom