• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Head Coach for Barcelona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't accept Poch would they? And he's always said "no way" too.

Erm.......probably an ex-player, but it hardly matters when Messi and co are calling the shots anyway. I bet Koeman is sitting there with his mobile up his arse on VIBRATE

They are not handling this well. They are top of their league and in the CL knock out stages. Either they think long term and plan properly, but then they should not just aquire someone mid through a season that can be successful anyway. Or they hope for some short term energy, but the new coach will have the players they have anyway. Strange that they don't wait till end of season, or actually did it after we destroyed them.

Probably not their next manager, as he's only 32, but in general good luck to the guy who'll eventually have to gradually phase Messi out of that team.

Who do you reckon will get the nod?

Tito didn't have 92% win ratio, not sure what that optajose account is going on about.

I think it's a bit harsh on Valverde, but I can see why they're doing it. He's having to do a Souness job of sorts. I think there's a chance they go for someone like Setien who was at Betis.

Quiqué Setién is the new favourites.

Dated 2018
[article]After becoming the first coach to inflict a home defeat on Barcelona in 26 months, Real Betis manager Quique Setien's stock has never been higher.

With a reputation for prioritising attractive, attacking football, the word on the wire in Spain is that Setien may well end up plying his trade with Barca, and sooner rather than later.

Indeed, with Ernesto Valverde's future uncertain beyond the summer, there are some who believe the Catalans will make their move to bring the highly-regarded Betis boss on board come the end of the season.

Setien, who has only been in charge at Betis for 18 months, has not done much to dispel the rumours either, recently speaking about how deeply he admires Johan Cruyff and the Dutch icon's enduring legacy at the Camp Nou.

"[After watching Cruyff's Barca team] I started to see football in a different way," he told El Periodico in an interview given before Los Verdiblancos' famous win on Sunday. "I understood the essence of the game.

"I had heard since I was a young that I had to run and suddenly I realised that I do not. That what you have to do is play with your head and not with your feet or your heart."

Setien also singled out Sergio Busquets for praise in the same interview, calling the Barca midfielder a "very clever player" before lauding his ability to read the game.

Coincidentally, it was reported that Setien approached Busquets in the Camp Nou tunnel before kick-off and, as captured on camera, said: "Hey, listen, I want your shirt later. Has [the Betis press officer] already told you? You have to dedicate it to me and I will put it in a frame."

Sure enough...

The hand-scrawled message from Busquets reads: "To Quique, with appreciation and admiration for your way of seeing football. A hug".

Maybe we're being overly cynical, but there are distinct "Cesc Fabregas" vibes being emitted here, if you know what we mean. Let's face it, Barca have a slightly grubby track record when it comes to the drip-drip approach to player and staff recruitment.

We're sure Setien will be holding a Blaugrana scarf aloft at the Camp Nou in the due course, just as soon as his all-important "DNA" test results come back from Xavi's genealogy lab.[/article]

Barca have really made of a mess of things since Tito.

First they appointed that randomer from Argentina who was useless then inexplicably opted for “safe pair of hands” Valverde who is a decent enough coach but does not have the personality or footballing style to truly succeed at a club like Barca. Both appointments at odds with their transfer policy which has been misguides to put it kindly.

It says a lot about the ineptitude at the top that they’ve finally decided to make a change (too late) but seemingly have no idea what change to make.

They may as well have started the rebuild already because they’ve wasted Messi’s last years.

from the beeb.

Barcelona have sacked coach Ernesto Valverde and replaced him with former Real Betis coach Quique Setien.
Valverde, 55, helped the club to two successive La Liga titles and they lead the league on goal difference.
However, the Catalan side have produced a series of unconvincing displays under his leadership and have failed to reach the Champions League final.
Setien, 61, led Betis to their highest finish since 2005 and to the Copa del Rey semis before leaving in May.

You know - we all know who they would just LOVE to have as their coach don't we ? - ahhh. such a shame they can't buy him.

Is it a clever joke that I see an advert for Downtown Abbeyas I read these posts?

Uncanny

The curse of Origi strikes again..

He scores two goals against you.. is only a matter of time before you get sacked..

Arsenal, Everton now Barca..

Don't know much about him, seems like a decent manager, but no experience at the top level of the game – his best season ever was 6th place with Betis. Their recruitment (both player and manager-wise) has been strange to say the least in the last few years; I wonder if Messi's genius is the only thing preventing them from sliding into a Man United-kind of mediocrity.

Don't know much about him, seems like a decent manager, but no experience at the top level of the game – his best season ever was 6th place with Betis. Their recruitment (both player and manager-wise) has been strange to say the least in the last few years; I wonder if Messi's genius is the only thing preventing them from sliding into a Man United-kind of mediocrity.
Clearly it's a bit of a gamble but at least Quique Setien manages the kind of attacking football they want to see at Barcelona. Definitely lacks experience at the top but the other option (I'm assuming Poch said no) would be to get on that roundabout of 'top managers' that have done great at one club and then flop everywhere else. It looks like they've gambled on someone to do better than just right the ship.

They should have just made Messi player-manager because there's no-one to stand up to him.

4 of the last 5 teams Origi has scored against, sacked the manager within the next few months, the other.. one odds on to be relegated

Everton - Sacked the manager.
Arsenal - Sacked the manager.
Norwich - Bottom of the table.
Tottenham - Sacked the manager.
Barcelona - Sacked the manager.

The Curse of Origi

Any mug can win a league with a team like Barcelona - it's like winning a title with Manchester City - although the job here seems a bit bigger than usual given the age of the squad, but this feels like (yet another), interim appointment to eke the last few trophies out of the Messi era, before a proper rebuild is required.

No idea how this fucker got the job, though. Plays the "Barca" way? He sounds like a Woy Hodgson-type disaster in the waiting, although he'll obviously do better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom