• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New signing on the horENZOn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally when people say "Bellingham would be perfect for us" I struggle to understand what they mean. We don't play with that sort of marauding box to box midfielder and haven't since Gerrard retired.

Our right RCM is expected to cover Trents advance and keep the defensive balance, our central CM is usually the no6 who sits deep and breaks up the play. Those are the two positions Bellingham most commonly plays in. We aren't paying £130m for a DM and he'd be wasted dropping into the RB role when Trent get on his bike. I'm not against signing him, but of all the players linked Fernandez, Caceido and Bellingham. He's the one who seems least obvious in terms of integrating him into our current system.

I’ve given up trying to understand our approach to squad building of late tbh.

Incidentally when people say "Bellingham would be perfect for us" I struggle to understand what they mean. We don't play with that sort of marauding box to box midfielder and haven't since Gerrard retired.

Our right RCM is expected to cover Trents advance and keep the defensive balance, our central CM is usually the no6 who sits deep and breaks up the play. Those are the two positions Bellingham most commonly plays in. We aren't paying £130m for a DM and he'd be wasted dropping into the RB role when Trent get on his bike. I'm not against signing him, but of all the players linked Fernandez, Caceido and Bellingham. He's the one who seems least obvious in terms of integrating him into our current system.
Bellingham would be perfect for any team.

You'd build your team around him. He is special.

By the way, I was one of those who laughed at Birmingham retiring the 22 number. I still don't like what they've done, but they could see he was special too.

Personally I like that Bellingham can dribble himself out of trouble and carry the ball out of midfield.

We have too many of the same kind of midfielders who can only play the "destroyer" role. Teams know they just need to apply some pressure and our players will release the ball. They don't take players on. Bellingham can do both, which will add a new dimension to our midfield.

Bellingham would be perfect for any team.

You'd build your team around him. He is special.

By the way, I was one of those who laughed at Birmingham retiring the 22 number. I still don't like what they've done, but they could see he was special too.

That's simply a ridiculous level of hyperbole, 'perfect for any team' is a status that just doesn't exist. The idea of building a team around a world class player is fine, but it comes with the caveat that you have to reorganize your team and probably buy 3 or 4 new players.

Some players are worth that, generational talents. If you have the funds to do it. Do you see FSG going on a squad building rampage to maximize the talent of Bellingham? I don't. I think the reality is if we sign him we sign nobody of any significance for 18-24 months.

Personally I like that Bellingham can dribble himself out of trouble and carry the ball out of midfield.

We have too many of the same kind of midfielders who can only play the "destroyer" role. Teams know they just need to apply some pressure and our players will release the ball. They don't take players on. Bellingham can do both, which will add a new dimension to our midfield.

I agree, Thiago is really the only midfielder we have who is effective against a press, and it hurts us because hes 31/32 so hes not that mobile. I think logically Thiago is most likely to make way for Bellingham and vacate the LCM if it were to happen. But I think we'd still have the same mobility/pressing issues we currently have with Hendo/Fabinho in that instance.

I'd love us to sign Bellingham, but I think we need 2 more midfielders next summer either way.

That's simply a ridiculous level of hyperbole, 'perfect for any team' is a status that just doesn't exist. The idea of building a team around a world class player is fine, but it comes with the caveat that you have to reorganize your team and probably buy 3 or 4 new players.

Some players are worth that, generational talents. If you have the funds to do it. Do you see FSG going on a squad building rampage to maximize the talent of Bellingham? I don't. I think the reality is if we sign him we sign nobody of any significance for 18-24 months.
Bellingham for me is a generational talent. Look at what he's doing at 19 compared to midfielders over the years at the same age.

He is that good.

Drop everything and just break the bank for Jude.

We’ll have to do that anyway.

Besides - we’re leaving the signings of Jude, Mbappe, Enzo, Rice, Gvardiol, Caicedo and Melo until the summer, so the new owners can show a statement of intent.

I was with you until Melo. Let’s be realistic here - we might be able to get the others but this guy is in a different category.

Monster bid to prise him from the steely grip of Juventus - maybe we can get Nike to fund it!!!

Him staying put in Jan is the best we can hope for. Cos if he moves now it's to Chelsea to replace Jorghino and that would be a massive upgrade for them

Yep - Looks like the Enzo ship has sailed. Quite right too. The release clause was whopping (smart in a financial sense) but absurd realistically. Not one that the recruitment team at LFC were looking at seriously. My buddy reckons we chanced our arm in a silly game of 'who blinks first' He'll go somewhere in the summer - Probably Chelsea. Funny that they just spunked nearly 10mill on Felix for a loan deal though... The window is far from over though so I'm told to expect something happening. Fuck knows what though.

Nice update. Would be nice if we tried again in the summer, but with Chelsea upping his price this month, this one might be out of bounds now.

Nice update. Would be nice if we tried again in the summer, but with Chelsea upping his price this month, this one might be out of bounds now.
I agree - It's one of those investments that oil rich bellends would procure for a premium (see Robben - Citeh 2008) . It could have happened maybe but it didn't and I'm very glad about it.

I agree - It's one of those investments that oil rich bellends would procure for a premium (see Robben - Citeh 2008) . It could have happened maybe but it didn't and I'm very glad about it.

The player is quality, and someone we could really use, but the price becomes ridiculous.

Yep - Looks like the Enzo ship has sailed. Quite right too. The release clause was whopping (smart in a financial sense) but absurd realistically. Not one that the recruitment team at LFC were looking at seriously. My buddy reckons we chanced our arm in a silly game of 'who blinks first' He'll go somewhere in the summer - Probably Chelsea. Funny that they just spunked nearly 10mill on Felix for a loan deal though... The window is far from over though so I'm told to expect something happening. Fuck knows what though.

Appreciate the update, @Red Astaire

What is kind of cool is that we deffo offered somethng. Around the 70mill mark I'm told. That in itself is funny. Put all that aside - What that does mean is there is money there and FSG are willing to spend. I'll take that as a positive. If I hear more from my rotund chum I'll report back :)

EDIT : Another thing that is funny is that he texted me the other day going "You're gonna be a right twat in January aren't you? Fuck it - I get it. If I know anything I'll tell you - Just don't text me @ 2am like you usually do"..... LOLz. :whistle::D

Last edited:
With the info about us bidding substantial sums for Enzo and Tchouameni, I guess we now know what Klopp means by taking more risk in the market.

A permanent deal for Melo, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom