• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Paulinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the best central midfielders in the world.

The problem is they were passing it out wide to Pennant, Gonzalez, Riera, and Babel.

Paulinho was having a medical in London today ahead of his £17million move from Corinthians to Tottenham.

Spurs agreed to meet the release clause in his contract last month but the move was delayed while the 24-year-old played for Brazil in the Confederations Cup.

Paulinho conducted a farewell press conference at Corinthians earlier in the week and is now in the capital to sign a five-year contract.

The transfer is a major coup for Spurs as the midfielder has been linked with Real Madrid and Chelsea.

He has already won 17 caps for Brazil, which included playing in the 3-0 win over Spain in the Confederations Cup Final on Sunday, and has scored five times.

Paulinho hopes to make a similar contribution to Andre Villas-Boas’s side as Frank Lampard has for Chelsea.

He said: “Lampard is a great player not only for Chelsea but world football. I intend to follow in his footsteps as he is a very professional guy.

“I’ve always looked at what Lampard does and, to me, he is a phenomenon.”

Tottenham are close to securing the acquisition of Barcelona and Spain international David Villa and have also been linked with a £19.8m bid for Roma playmaker Miralem Pjanic.

While many footballers are accused of playing only for the money, Benoît Assou-Ekotto openly admits that cold, hard cash is the only reason he gets up and kicks a ball.

The Tottenham left-back has no interest in the beautiful game, and often has no idea who he is facing when he turns up for a match. He is so detached from his day job, in fact, that he wasn't aware that Luis Suarez bit someone last season, a news story that people living under huge rocks with their fingers in their ears couldn't possibly avoid.

To force home his obliviousness, Benny admitted in an interview on Monday that he had never heard of brand-new Spurs signing Paulinho. You know, the guy who cost a club-record £17m ($24m) and who hasn't been out of the newspapers since scoring twice in Brazil's triumphant 2013 Confederations Cup campaign.

The 29-year-old Cameroon international also admitted that he didn't know who Rafael van der Vaart was when he arrived at Tottenham's Enfield training ground, despite the fact that the Dutchman had worn the captain's armband in the World Cup Final a few weeks before signing up.

Clearly, Assou-Ekotto isn't feigning indifference just to try and sound cool. He genuinely doesn't give a monkey's armpit about being a professional footballer.

Yeah, I remember reading an interview with him a couple years ago where he said he has no love for the game at all and it's all about the money.

I suppose he's not alone though. Agger said he's not massively into football also, although never mentioned the money aspect.

I don't really see a problem with it, particularly if you're going to be that transparent about it. Not everyone loves their job, after all.

Although I think it becomes more of a problem when players lose perspective and start demanding exorbitant wages.

Paulinho is a top quality player, I hope he has a poor season and Spurs and they flog him. Glad that they never got Villa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom