• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

System failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevesquash

Very Active
So the longer we try this inverted full back thing, the worse we seem to get.

We don't seem to be able to create any space. I mean we were never great at that, but we did put a lot of dangerous balls in the box and were good on the counter, but now we look a little lost, relying on goals from outside the box to be where we are.

Can someone with more insight than me, tell me why we don't play with the double pivot? I mean we had 3 defensive type midfielders (Hendo, Wijnaldum, and Fabinho) before. That was obviously brilliant but overly reliant on the full backs to create, and frustrated us that we rarely scored or created from midfield.

Now we have the personnel to play double pivot (endo, mac) and 1 more advanced (take your pick).

This would allow full backs to properly Bomb on again. Gakpo in the 9, nunez out left where he has more space to use his pace ( Diaz has lost whatever he had at the moment.)

Why doesn't klopp try this? Is he just too stubborn, or am I missing something (probably)?

Very much seems like Trent is Klopp’s new golden boy in the same sense Gini was all those years ago, so we pander to whatever he wants and we all know what Trent wants.

I’m convinced now this system isn’t the one for us if we want to see an improvement on performances, Is Klopp too stubborn for his own good? At times I believe so, it’s something to admire as much as something to criticise him for.

This has been discussed at length. But if we want to play Trent in midfield let's just fucking do it, but not sacrifice a whole system to do that.

Lots of us are talking about the drop off in performance levels from Mo (even if his stats are still good). Well I imagine losing the best RB in the world down his wing has something to do with that. Our system is impotent at times without width. We need to fix it ASAP.

We don't seem to be able to create any space. I mean we were never great at that, but we did put a lot of dangerous balls in the box and were good on the counter, but now we look a little lost, relying on goals from outside the box to be where we are.

Can someone with more insight than me, tell me why we don't play with the double pivot? I mean we had 3 defensive type midfielders (Hendo, Wijnaldum, and Fabinho) before. That was obviously brilliant but overly reliant on the full backs to create, and frustrated us that we rarely scored or created from midfield.

Now we have the personnel to play double pivot (endo, mac) and 1 more advanced (take your pick).

This would allow full backs to properly Bomb on again. Gakpo in the 9, nunez out left where he has more space to use his pace ( Diaz has lost whatever he had at the moment.)

Why doesn't klopp try this? Is he just too stubborn, or am I missing something (probably)?

We kind of are playing with a double pivot - with Trent moving in there when we have possession.

It’s a number game isn’t it - double pivots are great for making it hard to break through your centre - but you still need FB’s for defensive width or you defeat the purpose of having a double pivot.

So it’s a solid foundation but it takes away at least one player from the attacking third - so it probably suits counter attacking teams more.

Single pivots mean you can get more attacking-minded players higher up the pitch.

The hybrid system seems to be a way to try and get the best of both worlds, particularly in transition - so that we’re not short through the centre, but also not reliant on both FB’s providing attacking width that leave us exposed in wide areas to counter attacks.

I think that’s why managers are doing it - more players forward to counter low blocks or get overloads, while still giving solidity - but also as a base for slower possession based build up.

We’ve been one of the best teams in the league from when we started with the inverted full back and hybrid role.
Its like people forget that we bought 4 midfielders this summer and did a massive rebuild.
It will take time for the midfield to settle and we havent done to badly while we’re in the middle of it.
Give it and Klopp time.

Trent stays at RB.

After the comeback victories vs Fulham and Crystal Palace, we reverted to 4-2-3-1 again after the hour mark yesterday.

Untitled.jpg

Spot on Binny. @Hansern is doing a good job of ignoring the fact that we have had to salvage games by moving Gomez to RB. Without these we'd be outside of the top 4.

The system is shit, we have just saved a few games by either a) moving back to a better system or b) relying on moments of brilliants (i.e. Nunez at St James' Park)

In invert system if good for 1 thing, and that's Trent. It's not good for the team or defensive solidity.

Like, I understood it last year as we had Henderson and Jones as our 8s, neither of which are the most creative of outlets. Now we've got szob, grav and macca. There should be enough creativity there, but szob babysitting Trent, and Trent always looking for the ball to the front 3 means the midfield rarely gets the chance.

As an aside, not that it'll ever happen, I'd be interested in seeing something like this to see if it worked.

----------------- Alisson
-------- Gomez --- Konate --- VVD
-- TAA ---------- Endo --------- Tsimikas
----------Szobo ----- Grav / Mac
------- Salah ----- Gakpo / Nunez

As an aside, not that it'll ever happen, I'd be interested in seeing something like this to see if it worked.

I would like that very much

Would it solve any of our width challenges? Or are we imagining that in this system Trent would go back to being an orthodox wing back?

In invert system if good for 1 thing, and that's Trent. It's not good for the team or defensive solidity.

Like, I understood it last year as we had Henderson and Jones as our 8s, neither of which are the most creative of outlets. Now we've got szob, grav and macca. There should be enough creativity there, but szob babysitting Trent, and Trent always looking for the ball to the front 3 means the midfield rarely gets the chance.

Its not good for the team or defensive solidity but we're second and have conceded the least goals in the league and are the 3rd best defensive team stat wise.

Please, make these wrong takes stop.

Spot on Binny. @Hansern is doing a good job of ignoring the fact that we have had to salvage games by moving Gomez to RB. Without these we'd be outside of the top 4.

The system is shit, we have just saved a few games by either a) moving back to a better system or b) relying on moments of brilliants (i.e. Nunez at St James' Park)

The system is shit and we should all accept mediocracy. Klopp has lost it, clearly. Sack him and hire Southgate so we can play Trent in midfield.
Who cares if we win anything. Just get him in midfield so we can stop that discussion.

Would it solve any of our width challenges? Or are we imagining that in this system Trent would go back to being an orthodox wing back?

For me it tries to deal with the fact that we can't solve our width problems with the options available to us in the squad.
  • Diaz is frustrating and likes to cut inside anyway
  • Nunez you can just about rely on to run fast in a straight line with the ball but not much more
  • Tsimikas is good at his best but still no prime Robertson
  • Klopp is indulging TAA's ambitions (and let's put aside whether that's a good / bad thing)
  • Salah struggles to beat a man for skill / pace these days
With the 3-5-2 variation:
  • TAA will have greater licence to roam with added protection behind him as will the RCM
  • Salah can drift to the right as he normally does
  • Tsimikas can continue to do what he does already and if we're feeling particularly dicey, we could try Diaz as a wing back.

The reason our old 433 system became toothless was that our CMs in it lost their legs, and lacked creativity against a parked bus.

We have new midfielders who have the legs, and have the creativity.

Yeah… let’s not panic too much here - it’s not unheard of that players go through a patch where things are quite working out and they’re not on top form.

As it stands if you pull together all the various discussion points on this site - Konate, Robbo (before injury), Trent, Gravy, MacAllistar, Slobbers, Diaz, Gakpo, Jota (pre injury), Nunez, Diaz, Salah are all out of form; Tsimikas, Curtis, Harvey, Gomez & Endo are all pretty shit and not really good enough, while Badger, Thiago & Matip are dead.

That leaves Virgil & Alisson as our only decent players.

Honestly… I can’t see how we stay up this season with so many out of form, shit or dead!!!

WHAAAAAAAT!!!!! We’re 2nd!!!! A point of the leader!!!!!

It’s almost as if we’ve forgotten that introducing loads of new players into a top end team can sometimes not lead to instant gratification.

I know…. Only one thing for it!!!!

Lets’s sign loads more and try to integrate them mid season - seems like a good idea!!!

I think most people here posting the negative stuff just think that the old system with these players would be great, and that we've been lucky to be where we are this season.

I appreciate we need to evolve, but worryingly we seem to be getting worse. I don't think it's coincidence so many are again out of form.

I think it's the system. I'm not overreacting, I'm all for patience usually but I'm really concerned about the form of our front 3, who I all like, but all 4 seem stifled by the new system.

The reason our old 433 system became toothless was that our CMs in it lost their legs, and lacked creativity against a parked bus.

We have new midfielders who have the legs, and have the creativity.

The other reason is we also don’t have the fullbacks for it anymore.

Robbo can’t do that kind of running and TAA doesn’t seem like he wants to.

We have just created 34 shots, 2nd in the league, with Klopp saying we were more dominant in the 0-0 than the 7-0 and yet people seem to be insinuating we have a system failure of some sort.

In truth, if our front 3 just get their act together, we would not be having this conversation. That supposedly our main strengths over our rivals this season and at the moment it's not looking that way, simple as that.

I agree with you, but I imagine Klopp's retort would be;
"We are 2nd, with only 1 loss and 1point behind the leaders. Man U played us perfectly, they came not to to win but more importantly not to lose. Should our strikers be doing better, yes!"
Would anyone had made this post has we made more of our chances? Whats happening with our FWs? Dom looks like half the player he was in the last few games.
I hate 4-3-3 but you can't argue, we are a hard team to beat

We had all the ball, and didn't really create anything. You can't really look at the shots stat and say that amounted to being close to scoring.

Our best chances came from 2 headers from corners, konate spinning I think from a corner, and trents good effort from outside the box.

If all of our forwards are misfiring at the same time, I think you have to ask why and not just say it's a coincidence. I actually don't really blame them.

I don't expect it to change (the system) so I hope I'm wrong and they get it to work. It will need to be this weekend.

The other reason is we also don’t have the fullbacks for it anymore.

Robbo can’t do that kind of running and TAA doesn’t seem like he wants to.

Opposition teams don’t set up like they used to either, with high lines for us to exploit.

People also seem to forget why Klopp changed the system in the first place - because teams had figured out how to exploit the weaknesses.

Opposition teams don’t set up like they used to either, with high lines for us to exploit.

People also seem to forget why Klopp changed the system in the first place - because teams had figured out how to exploit the weaknesses.

I thought klopp changed the system because we had 3 centre mids who could barely run last year, so he copied pep/arteta; rather than us being figured out. Form wise robbo was in the toilet and trent was fucking shite. Weirdly, trent started performing when he was allowed to invert. Mad that init

I thought klopp changed the system because we had 3 centre mids who could barely run last year, so he copied pep/arteta; rather than us being figured out. Form wise robbo was in the toilet and trent was fucking shite. Weirdly, trent started performing when he was allowed to invert. Mad that init

Chicken and egg isn’t it.

There were so many things that changed last season in terms of system - the forward press wasn’t working as well, therefore more pressure on an aging midfield because teams could get through our lines, on top of teams targeting the space behind the FBs - the CB’s covering behind the CB’s created a massive gap through the middle leaving Fabs not only exposed from a dysfunctional high press, but too much space to cover on his own.

The high press becomes a trap - opposition deploy a low block, sit deep, cede posession, draw us onto them and then counter quickly into the space behind our high line.

I think the hybrid system is to get more solidity through the middle without having both FBs so high up the pitch - in theory when we transition to out of possession, Trent should be able to get back to RB quicker and with 2 in the DM area, it’s easier for one to plug the gap in between CB’s while the other can cut off players breaking through the middle.

The problem with the hybrid system is it can easily get too narrow - and we have inverted wingers who make that more of a problem.

Our issue is Mo is still our best goal outlet - so he can’t stay out wide AND score - City’s wingers aren’t prolific scorers and our problem is our Number 9 isn’t prolific either - neither is our False 9.

We haven’t deployed a False 9 this season and we’ve also struggled to find width in our play - I think that’s in part due to moving Trent more into the hybrid role, but also because the entire midfield is new - they’re not quite on the same wavelength yet and this system has a lot of moving parts which require players to adapt and move into different positions, often depending on where one of their other team mates is.

Like, if Trent inverts then Slobbers as the RM has to provide the overlap for Salah, which means Nunez & Diaz have to either go on a run to receive the ball in a goalscoring position or crest space for Salah to run into (and they both probably need to do it differently).

If Trent goes wide, the Slobbers needs to drop a little deeper to support the DM.

All this gets mirrored on the left with LB. and the LCM.

Then you get into each individual person’s skill set - Harvey is more comfortable operating out wide and running between the lines, Slobbers is an overall better B2B midfielder and great at pressing, MacA is good at shifting the ball and getting us moving, Endo is our best tackler in midfield, Trent our best passer, Jones is best providing width on the left and leading the press on the left and Gravy is good at carrying the ball.

They each have their weaknesses, Harvey is defensively poor, Slobbers (actually he has no weaknesses other than form), MacA is lightweight and tackling is poor, Endo needs time on the ball, Trent is Trent, Jones reverts to crab tactics and gets too many injuries and Gravy isn’t good at providing width (which means the LB has to do it which creates its own problems - thankfully we have a fully functional Virgil on that side).

It all strikes me that there’s not some great systemic problem here - all systems have strengths and weaknesses - it’s more of a team in transition - there’s only really Salah left from midfield & forward line of even the team that almost did the quadruple 2 seasons ago. (plus a few at various stages of decomposition).

That’s a lot of change - so I’m not surprised we have a few games against higher quality, well drilled opponents who set there stall out to above all else, not lose - it’s like someone said (poster or journo, can’t remember), Utd set up like a team in a relegation battle, but with superior players to teams generally involved in relegation battles and we didn’t quite have the answer of how to break them.

We don’t need massive changes in personnel or system - we just need time, consistency l, a bit of luck and some key players to find a bit of form - particularly the forward line so we don’t have to rely on Salah to do practically everything attacking wise.

Its unfair to single out Nunez when the others are just as bad. Klopp has to work out away to get them scoring again

Maybe you’re not reading many posts - but the only forward who hasn’t been criticised for his performances of late on here is Jota - because he’s dead again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom