• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match - Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ballotelli clearly has some work ahead of him to learn how & where to play alongside our interchanging forwards, as well as some match fitness, but he showed a real willingness to work today that many said he didn't have.

Looked promising. We're such a young, powerful, skillfull and pacey side now its scary.

As a side note, did anyone think Dier's "challenge" on Balotelli was a blatant foul, possible even a red? He's lunged in through the back of Balotelli and didn't get the ball (kicking Balotelli's foot on to the ball doesn't count).

As a side note, did anyone think Dier's "challenge" on Balotelli was a blatant foul, possible even a red? He's lunged in through the back of Balotelli and didn't get the ball (kicking Balotelli's foot on to the ball doesn't count).

Clearly a foul. Very dangerous play imho.

I wonder whether there is going to be a problem wtih Sturridge if he finds he is getting less chances due to the growing number of attacking options. At times he looked v frustrated when players were passing to others. He did well at times though and was instrumental in Sterling's goal.

Great cameo from Can too.

Epic performance.

For once the international break comes at a good time for us. We can get Lallana and Balotelli fit and Rodgers and the staff can spend more time working with the new arrivals.

Lovren the worst player by a mile for me, he had lots of individual mistakes. Completely whiffed on last ditch tackles at least twice to allow players in. So many horrible errors, but I'm sure most people will overlook this...

Few times when Sakho was covering for a long ball, Lovren decided to also sprint over to his area and jump for it. No idea what he was thinking.

Thought Sakho looked okay, few misplaced passes, but Lovren was again asking him to do a lot. Only qualm about Moreno's performance is that he occasionally bombed up way too quickly, leaving Sakho without an option to pass. But Moreno one of our best today, fantastic goal.

Gerrard, meh. Our MF seemed to provide better cover today, but that might partially be because Balotelli dropped super deep today. Allen/Hendo looked excellent.

Manquillo got the job done, which is really all I expect for a fullback. Mignolet fine, aside for one dodgy moment early.

Sturridge looked great for around 75 minutes, and then faded really badly towards the end. Not sure if we just took our foot off the gas, or if he was tired.

Balotelli looked very dangerous, if a bit rusty. He tracked back very deep at times, which was a good sign, and pressed a good amount. However towards the end of the first half and at times you saw him quite disinterested when we had the ball in attack. But on today's evidence that's a decent tradeoff.

Sterling was fantastic, good running for the first goal, and several times turned quickly to allow us to attack. Should've scored the second with that amazing run after Can broke away from Dembele, but again shit happens.

Markovic looked sluggish after he came on, kept trying to slow the game down, contrasted with Sterling on the left trying to break. Hopefully just a one off. Nothing really to say about Enrique.

Interestingly, NBC reporting Lallana is 'warming down' on the pitch post match.

Did anyone else think that Stirling was hanging onto the ball a bit too much in the last 10 -15 minutes instead of passing ?

How we managed a clean sheet when our centrebacks put in a worse display than in the first two games, I'll never know. The pair of them stank the place out in the first half and part of the second until we put the game away. Our young Spanish fullbacks are ace. Bad news for Enrique and Johnson if they keep up their good form and stay fit.

Can we now (again) put the myth about the lack of offensive contribution by Henderson and Allen to rest? Henderson was directing players in the middle of the pitch (at least in the second half) on the gaps to cover, opponents' runners, etc.

Sturridge has mad, mad skills, and Balotelli's quickness was impressive. Loved that play when he spun Kaboul and sprinted away when the second Spurs player was starting to join in to double team him, and also his couple of clever backheels.

Sterling should've scored after his mazy run. That would've been spectacular. Kudos to Can for his prior run too.

Great to get back on track. I still bristle at that defence though. I guess we'll just have to start with two forwards, score three goals and demoralize the opponents before we concede.

Oh, and whoever the commentator was, he needs to learn that Barcelona's manager doesn't play for us.

I was just paranoid over the defence, and how clinical Spurs seemed the last few weeks.

Proper mega result!

I wasn't having a pop - I'm just loving this team right now. We are a match for anyone. No one will look forward to playing us. Including any CL matches I'll wager.

I loved it when Can came on. Just the quality off the bench is so refreshing. Lucas not even on the bench. There were a few issues for sure but massive positives.

Brilliant performance. I'll probably watch it again in a mo. :)

Rodgers said we are unlikely to sign any players tomorrow. Maybe one more, but he told Sky there's no need to be at Melwood tomorrow.

NBC Sports pundits talked about it. Decided it was at least a definite yellow.

Lovren the worst player by a mile for me, he had lots of individual mistakes. Completely whiffed on last ditch tackles at least twice to allow players in. So many horrible errors, but I'm sure most people will overlook this...

Few times when Sakho was covering for a long ball, Lovren decided to also sprint over to his area and jump for it. No idea what he was thinking.

Thought Sakho looked okay, few misplaced passes, but Lovren was again asking him to do a lot. Only qualm about Moreno's performance is that he occasionally bombed up way too quickly, leaving Sakho without an option to pass. But Moreno one of our best today, fantastic goal.

Gerrard, meh. Our MF seemed to provide better cover today, but that might partially be because Balotelli dropped super deep today. Allen/Hendo looked excellent.

Manquillo got the job done, which is really all I expect for a fullback. Mignolet fine, aside for one dodgy moment early.

Sturridge looked great for around 75 minutes, and then faded really badly towards the end. Not sure if we just took our foot off the gas, or if he was tired.

Balotelli looked very dangerous, if a bit rusty. He tracked back very deep at times, which was a good sign, and pressed a good amount. However towards the end of the first half and at times you saw him quite disinterested when we had the ball in attack. But on today's evidence that's a decent tradeoff.

Sterling was fantastic, good running for the first goal, and several times turned quickly to allow us to attack. Should've scored the second with that amazing run after Can broke away from Dembele, but again shit happens.

Markovic looked sluggish after he came on, kept trying to slow the game down, contrasted with Sterling on the left trying to break. Hopefully just a one off. Nothing really to say about Enrique.

Interestingly, NBC reporting Lallana is 'warming down' on the pitch post match.

Reading that you'd think we conceded 3 goals.
Lovren and Sakho were promising in their first start together ever.
Sakhos first start and Lovren starting as RCB.
Limiting Spurs to 1 shot on target and keeping a clean sheet. Quite promising. Very good defensive performance from the entire team.

Reading that you'd think we conceded 3 goals.
Lovren and Sakho were promising in their first start together ever.
Sakhos first start and Lovren starting as RCB.
Limiting Spurs to 1 shot on target and keeping a clean sheet. Quite promising. Very good defensive performance from the entire team.

We could've easily conceded 3, just very lucky we were clinical going forward.

Anybody thinking otherwise is just sticking their head in the sand. Our central defenders were horrid, Lovren especially.

Yeah I was going "how the fuck isn't that a yellow?!"

I thought Lovren was utterly class today. Sakho made two or three errors first half then was very assured.
I thought as a unit our defending was excellent and Mignolet only had to make one save.
Good stuff, not just from the back 4 but the three middle men too.

Clean sheet and limiting Spurs to one shot on target. Yeah, Lovren and Sakho didnt do a great job in their first start ever together..
Some communication issues and Sakho looking a bit rusty. Perfectly understandable, but all in all very promising.
Hope we see them playing together for a long time.

Manquillo and Moreno with very good games aswell.

I like how you've completely changed your tune here.

A few minutes ago, you thought Lovren and Sakho "looked the part" in your honest opinion!

Brilliant result and cracking performance, I thought sakho was great once he settled down and our fullbacks look great Moreno in particular he can go on to be one of the best in the league in a few years. Studge and super mario looked good together their partnership will grow, sterling has the world at his feet in my opinion he can go on to be whatever he wants such a talent. And we still have lallana to come into the side I must say I think we're looking one hell of a side lets see where it takes us.

Dunno where this "CBs were shite" is coming from... Shaky at times, yes. But solid overall and encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom