• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match: Everton (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Diaz and although frustrating he was probs the best player on the pitch yesterday. Not a very high bar though. They were all a bit shit.

I like Diaz and although frustrating he was probs the best player on the pitch yesterday. Not a very high bar though. They were all a bit shit.
Absolutely, which means being the one that forced the issue and orchestrated the two incidents that had the biggest bearing on the result all the more impressive.

I think people are overlooking Diaz's performance in this game because he was playing against Ashley Young.

The question with Diaz is can he be part of of an excellent attack with fewer touches, sharp movement off the ball and passing. It's never been "can he destroy a geriatric fullback." I didn't think we put much of anything together in an attacking sense, it was one of our worst attacking performances. We just ground them down and Diaz on the dribble one vs one was definitely the biggest mismatch.

Elliot was very good.
You can see Nunez is learning, last year he fucks up the second almost guaranteed.

There's an if on the second for me. I want my strikers full of confidence and being ball greedy bastards. I hope he hasn't got it in his head that he needs to pass all the time. He could easily have scored there. Yes the percentage was better with the pass, and yes it could be a sign that he's growing a functional brain, but I've got an if on it. A big if.

There's an if on the second for me. I want my strikers full of confidence and being ball greedy bastards. I hope he hasn't got it in his head that he needs to pass all the time. He could easily have scored there. Yes the percentage was better with the pass, and yes it could be a sign that he's growing a functional brain, but I've got an if on it. A big if.
He battered Brazil during the week but it does look like he tries to find Salah everytime where he has a second to think.

I dunno lads, Salah also tries to find him. Think of the Newcastle goal

Maybe they just have a partnership and an old fashioned understanding. In the old striking partnership days there was the lad who "assisted" and the lad who scored. Nowadays the top strikers seem to be able to do both. Especially in a Klopp team

I genuinely can't. I think that's a handball now, and a handball 10 years ago. It's a cross and you've got your arm outstretched and you're making yourself big.
Of course it's a clear pen.. Keane wasn't even the guy challaging to block the cross so he had no reason to have his arm outstretched even if he had it out before the cross came in...
I also think bird shit eater kicked the ball away to stop us taking a throw in which should have seen him get a 2nd yellow a few minutes before he did get it. Was sure that they were suppose to be enforcing that...
Also 7 minutes of added time in that 2nd half despite the fact that everton were wasting as much time in that 1st half and only 3 minutes were added...

IMG-20231022-WA0024.jpg

How is it even a debate..

It's illustration A in the textbook under the chapter on handball.

Special mentions to the subs. I thought Elliot and Nunez were good.

They were a real menace, but they came on to run at a ragged Everton defence that were suffocating. Mo got the goals but Diaz was the match winner. He needs to do it more often, but it was a good contribution considering how knackered he would have been from international week.

It still feels like we still don't know our best attacking 3 or midfield 3. There are days when that doesn't matter as we are individually good enough to beat our opponents but at times it can look very disjointed. Saturday was one of those times, we squandered a couple of great opportunities to score on the break because the attackers took the wrong option with a numerical advantage. The other obvious problem was Szoboszlai being so impatient that he put about 5 attempts into the Kop because he couldn't resist the chance to make himself the hero.

Their fans felt robbed though:

Everton made just 112 accurate passes in their 2-0 loss at Liverpool on Saturday, the fewest by a team in a Premier League match this season. [@whoscored]

My mate messaged me after the game to ask what I thought of Diaz's performance, because he thought he was shite. His end product was all over the place, but that said, he drew two yellow card challenges from Young and he won the penalty, so..

It was far from his best performance though. Salah was equally frustrating at times too but won it ultimately.

FYI, Gakpo and Branthwaite were teammates at PSV.

Also, yes I wouldn't mind make to us the defender across the park...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom