• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match: Liverpool v Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 22.8Mb/s. Or at least it was last feb when it was last officially worked out.

The year before it was 18 though, so it's safe to say it's higher than that now.

Mine is 123Mb/s, though officially I only get 100. Waiting (not very patiently) for a speed upgrade to 150.

It's 22.8Mb/s. Or at least it was last feb when it was last officially worked out.

The year before it was 18 though, so it's safe to say it's higher than that now.

Mine is 123Mb/s, though officially I only get 100. Waiting (not very patiently) for a speed upgrade to 150.

How do you get 123Mb/s, I've only got 11 here at work, and I thought that would be quite good! I've got cable ( fibreoptic ) at home and it's definitely worse than here despite the fact it should be mega fast!

How do you get 123Mb/s, I've only got 11 here at work, and I thought that would be quite good! I've got cable ( fibreoptic ) at home and it's definitely worse than here despite the fact it should be mega fast!
Virgin media.

It's always been perfect, I love it. Have to unplug the modem & router once a week for a couple of mins with a cable connection, or it plays up, dunno why, something to do with the way they communicate with the green boxes in the street according to the engineer who told me.

I was dubious, but it does indeed keep it running smoothly.

Your fibre should be way, way faster than 11Mb/s. Run a speed test on a wired connection & see what you get, if it's less than youre paying for, call them. All isp's will somehow have an 'error' that leads to people's connections running much lower than they should a few weeks after connecting. If they aren't challenged they'll leave it like that.

Once you challenge them they do all sorts of clever sounding things & you magically get all your speed & bandwidth that you're paying for. They don't do it on purpose, honest.

My wired pc struggles with streams. Fucks me off no end
Switch off your antivirus then try it.

If it works as it should then try turning on the different parts of the anti virus one by one until you find the culprit.

Many of them have scanners that check Internet traffic & they play havoc with streams.

If that fails then maybe switch off the firewall & check that.

A wired connection should always be better. If it's not then it's something to do with the pc, not the connection.

Virgin media.

It's always been perfect, I love it. Have to unplug the modem & router once a week for a couple of mins with a cable connection, or it plays up, dunno why, something to do with the way they communicate with the green boxes in the street according to the engineer who told me.

Your fibre should be way, way faster than 11Mb/s. Run a speed test on a wired connection & see what you get, if it's less than youre paying for, call them. All isp's will somehow have an 'error' that leads to people's connections running much lower than they should a few weeks after connecting. If they aren't challenged they'll leave it like that.

Once you challenge them they do all sorts of clever sounding things & you magically get all your speed & bandwidth that you're paying for. They don't do it on purpose, honest.

I'm with Virgin, got the top dog whatever xl thingy and there is no way I am getting anywhere near that fast. Frustratingly it also drops out all the time. My daughter is often facetiming and the Mrs is on ebay all the time so I don't know if that has anything to do with why it drops out. I'm going to check the speed with cloggy's link and then unplug as you describe and then if that doesn't improve it I am going to give em what for. Thanks for that

I'm with Virgin, got the top dog whatever xl thingy and there is no way I am getting anywhere near that fast. Frustratingly it also drops out all the time. My daughter is often facetiming and the Mrs is on ebay all the time so I don't know if that has anything to do with why it drops out. I'm going to check the speed with cloggy's link and then unplug as you describe and then if that doesn't improve it I am going to give em what for. Thanks for that
Check the speed wired, not wireless. After you've unplugged, left for two mins, & plugged back in. Despite what they say the virgin superhub (& superhub 2) is SHITE. Note the capitals. It's that bad. Wireless drops all the time.

I bought a third party router a while back, not a great one, but not a basic model either (tp link Archer c7) & it's rock solid on wireless now too.

You have a 1Gbps internet connection?

I'll be getting one of those in November, but I'm not sure I could justify it. It'll be 1000/100 though. If it had 1Gbps up I might actually find good use for it.

This used to drive me fucking barmy at my old flat, I had the exact same issue, but it would happen every 3 or 4 days, if I didn't do a full power down and up of my router the internet would start randomly dropping out for 30 seconds or so. Not enough to be noticeable if you were just web browsing, but enough to kick you out of a online game or such. I was on Virgin Media back then, but due to the lack of service to my new place, I've settled with plusnet 80mb fibre; the issue still occurs, but it's much less frequent, I'll only need to reset it once a month. Anyway glad to see you mention it, because I've constantly been questioning my network in my head trying to figure out what could be the cause, and whilst I've always suspected it was the router / line, it's difficult to prove.

This used to drive me fucking barmy at my old flat, I had the exact same issue, but it would happen every 3 or 4 days, if I didn't do a full power down and up of my router the internet would start randomly dropping out for 30 seconds or so. Not enough to be noticeable if you were just web browsing, but enough to kick you out of a online game or such. I was on Virgin Media back then, but due to the lack of service to my new place, I've settled with plusnet 80mb fibre; the issue still occurs, but it's much less frequent, I'll only need to reset it once a month. Anyway glad to see you mention it, because I've constantly been questioning my network in my head trying to figure out what could be the cause, and whilst I've always suspected it was the router / line, it's difficult to prove.
It's apparently something to do with the technology inside the cabinet itself. It was built for much lower speeds & it has something akin to a cache that's hardware limited. Unplugging the modem for longer than a minute clears the cache. At least that's how he said he understood it when it was explained to him.

Similar things happen with all broadband, only it's more extreme, but easier to fix, with virgin.

Yeah, my fault for helping derail this. Shame there was no moderator around to keep us in check. Ahem.

Anyways, back to the game.

I've just been informed I have one of my mates corporate tickets for this. Scant consolation for missing out on the final but better than nothing!

To be fair those posts regarding cabling, speed of down and upload and different suppliers soundet 100 times more sensible and accurate comparable to some of the fotball speculation and analyzis on here....

Just remembered I get one of those little vintage style footballs on a plinth with the match name & date embossed on it to put in the wardrobe with the others.

*excited*

Virgin media.

Seriously I think I would like to pay for you to fly over to Canada and come round mine to sort out my shit. I'd probably save tons in monthly fees because you'd have me hooked up to all kinds of things I've only vaguely heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom