• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre-match thread Man U (H) - 5 March 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not this weekend. That’s for sure.

We're getting 5 this weekend ...
3 for Salah, who gives the next one to Nunez who won the first 3, and the 5th they give to Rashford to ensure he participated in the 5-0 mauling.

On a more serious note, are we just not as 'present' in the box as we used to? I cannot remember a "missed" penalty I feel aggrieved by the last few months.

3 for Salah, who gives the next one to Nunez who won the first 3, and the 5th they give to Rashford to ensure he participated in the 5-0 mauling.

On a more serious note, are we just not as 'present' in the box as we used to? I cannot remember a "missed" penalty I feel aggrieved by the last few months.

We have the second most touches in the the penalty box this season or something. Sadly we dont have any penalty friendly players like your Rashfords and Kanes.
If we get Bellingham then you can bet your house on us getting a penalty when he is fouled.

I would guess because we don’t keep the ball in the opposition box anymore as our front line can’t seem to pass these days. We’re not forcing teams back as a result which means we collapse like a pack of cards when the opposition break. It’s the collective issue with the side.

We have the second most touches in the the penalty box this season or something. Sadly we dont have any penalty friendly players like your Rashfords and Kanes.
If we get Bellingham then you can bet your house on us getting a penalty when he is fouled.
I don’t think touches tells the full story. We get it in the box and it’s straight back out. We don’t keep the ball in and around the box anymore.

[article]For the first time in a long time, Manchester United visit Liverpool in the ascendancy and in a position to confirm a role reversal by denting their great rivals’ hopes of Champions League qualification. United have not won at Anfield in over seven years but will have every confidence of ending that sorry sequence on Sunday, when they might be also the fresher team given the changes made by Erik ten Hag in the FA Cup defeat of West Ham. But familiar obstacles lie in wait. Mohamed Salah has scored nine goals in his last five outings against United and warmed up for one of his favourite opponents by reaching another milestone in Wednesday’s win over Wolves. Salah’s thighed finish made it 20 goals for the season in all competitions, meaning he has hit the 20 mark in each of his six campaigns as a Liverpool player. In a season of flux at Anfield it is a remarkable return, and Salah’s influence is starting to increase once again. Andy Hunter
[/article]

Can’t say I agree with the last part @Andy Hunter

I don’t think touches tells the full story. We get it in the box and it’s straight back out. We don’t keep the ball in and around the box anymore.

Most penalties received this season. Fulham, West Ham, Brentford and Man City.
Bar City none of those teams keep the ball in the box anymore than we do.

Most penalties received this season. Fulham, West Ham, Brentford and Man City.
Bar City none of those teams keep the ball in the box anymore than we do.
Have you watched us? How often do we keep the ball in the box this season? We get it to Salah who kicks it at the right leg of a defender or Donkey who puts it wide. We no longer have that quick pass and move round the box. Those other teams seem to pass to each other.

Is there a stat out there that shows seconds/minutes in the box? I can’t recall seeing one.

Have you watched us? How often do we keep the ball in the box this season? We get it to Salah who kicks it at the right leg of a defender or Donkey who puts it wide. We no longer have that quick pass and move round the box. Those other teams seem to pass to each other.

Is there a stat out there that shows seconds/minutes in the box? I can’t recall seeing one.

We were below average in getting penalties also when we were top of the league.

Salah gets a free kick every 110 minutes in the league dating back to 19/20. Do you know how insane that stat is? Refs just dont give him anything. Its a fact. Players like Grealish and Maddison get a free kick every 20 minutes.

Salah-Foul-Stats.png

Diaz is “penalty friendly,” already won a couple for us.

We were below average in getting penalties also when we were top of the league.

Salah gets a free kick every 110 minutes in the league dating back to 19/20. Do you know how insane that stat is? Refs just dont give him anything. Its a fact. Players like Grealish and Maddison get a free kick every 20 minutes.

Salah-Foul-Stats.png
There’s a few things here. You talk about the likes of Grealish who get a lot of fouls because of how he wins them. I think it’s odd Salah doesn’t get fouls but how often is he wiped out like the other two?

Then you’ve posted a table. Here’s where there is an over reliance on data. Going back to the penalty issue, how many times have we been turned down a pen by the ref and VAR? Arsenal away? When has it happened since?

Yeh I’ve a cousin who is a massive gooner. Says he’d love to sign Grealish because of how he carries the ball so well and knows how to win a free kick too

Diaz is “penalty friendly,” already won a couple for us.

He definitely is, and Mane was as well to some extent. Might be something with that quickness in the box. Getting a touch in before the defender reaches the ball.

There’s a few things here. You talk about the likes of Grealish who get a lot of fouls because of how he wins them. I think it’s odd Salah doesn’t get fouls but how often is he wiped out like the other two?

Then you’ve posted a table. Here’s where there is an over reliance on data. Going back to the penalty issue, how many times have we been turned down a pen by the ref and VAR? Arsenal away? When has it happened since?

If you take of your "I hate Salah glasses", then you can see he should get loads more free kicks and most likely penalties in several games. Its not about being wiped out. But he is constantly being dragged around, pushed and held back. The thing is he doesnt go down and try to stay on his feet.
Grealish falls over in the most dramatic fashion in nearly every foul. There was a penalty he won the other day that was clear that he was just waiting for some minimal contact and then fell over like he had been shot.

Regarding the penalty issue. Being turned down by VAR is one thing. Not getting a penalty or something from the refs are another.

But, this discussion should be its own thread. This is about Utd. Lets just win on Sunday and not be reliant on getting a penalty (as that wont happen).

Jota handball v Arsenal aside, how many big shouts for a pen have we had turned down since our last pen?

Quite surprised to see Fulham and West Ham leading the way for number of pens this season....

Last edited:
Huge game. A win here would be such a huge statement. Our midfield is crucial. Whoever plays RCM needs to essentially man mark Rashford and whoever plays LCM needs to join our CF in giving Casemiro absolutely no time on the ball.

For me the best line up for this occasion would be

--------------Ali----------------
Trent--Ibu--VVD--Robbo
-------------Fabs--------------
-----Hendo-------Badger----
Salah-----Gakpo-----Nunez

Hendo marking Rashford, Badger pressing their DMs. This will be pivotal. We also have to utilise the height of Ibu, Virgil, Fabs, Gakpo & Nunez at set pieces against Varane & Martinez.

Excited for this.

A draw is perhaps the most likely result, think it'll pan out a bit like the Chelsea game and it would be the minimum requirement but if we're really serious about mounting a top 4 challenge then 3 points is a must.

If you take of your "I hate Salah glasses", then you can see he should get loads more free kicks and most likely penalties in several games. Its not about being wiped out. But he is constantly being dragged around, pushed and held back. The thing is he doesnt go down and try to stay on his feet.
Grealish falls over in the most dramatic fashion in nearly every foul. There was a penalty he won the other day that was clear that he was just waiting for some minimal contact and then fell over like he had been shot.

Regarding the penalty issue. Being turned down by VAR is one thing. Not getting a penalty or something from the refs are another.

But, this discussion should be its own thread. This is about Utd. Lets just win on Sunday and not be reliant on getting a penalty (as that wont happen).

There’s nothing there about my Salah hatred. I said it’s odd. You’ve also answered your own question. Salah not going down means the refs don’t give a foul. It’s not him specifically as you will see that in every game.

I will change my question slightly for you. Which penalties should Salah have been given this season where the ref and VAR decided it wasn’t a pen?

Huge game. A win here would be such a huge statement. Our midfield is crucial. Whoever plays RCM needs to essentially man mark Rashford and whoever plays LCM needs to join our CF in giving Casemiro absolutely no time on the ball.

For me the best line up for this occasion would be

--------------Ali----------------
Trent--Ibu--VVD--Robbo
-------------Fabs--------------
-----Hendo-------Badger----
Salah-----Gakpo-----Nunez

Hendo marking Rashford, Badger pressing their DMs. This will be pivotal. We also have to utilise the height of Ibu, Virgil, Fabs, Gakpo & Nunez at set pieces against Varane & Martinez.

Excited for this.
I’ve seen that team elsewhere.

I have all the faith in the world in Big Dog. The only criticism i have is that he got the day right for the kick off, thereby undoing his good jinx work in the wolves thread.

May fortune smile on us, but i feel its a fucking disaster

I have all the faith in the world in Big Dog. The only criticism i have is that he got the day right for the kick off, thereby undoing his good jinx work in the wolves thread.

May fortune smile on us, but i feel its a fucking disaster
I got the title correct against Wolves. I only messed up when talking about bumping off posters.

Look - United are making top 4, so this game is not actually pivotal for us. Being realistic, what we have to hope is that we can beat whichever of Spurs / Newcastle / Fulham / Brighton to the last spot. Those are are real rivals at this moment in time. However, we have been on a mini revival of sorts, with several clean sheets. This game will give us a marker of how likely the top 4 outcome will be.

Look - United are making top 4, so this game is not actually pivotal for us. Being realistic, what we have to hope is that we can beat whichever of Spurs / Newcastle / Fulham / Brighton to the last spot. Those are are real rivals at this moment in time. However, we have been on a mini revival of sorts, with several clean sheets. This game will give us a marker of how likely the top 4 outcome will be.
Don't understand & apologies if I'm just being thick, so on 1 hand this isn't a pivotal game for us then on the flip side you're also saying this game will determine if we can get top 4 or not?

[article]For the first time in a long time, Manchester United visit Liverpool in the ascendancy and in a position to confirm a role reversal by denting their great rivals’ hopes of Champions League qualification. United have not won at Anfield in over seven years but will have every confidence of ending that sorry sequence on Sunday, when they might be also the fresher team given the changes made by Erik ten Hag in the FA Cup defeat of West Ham. But familiar obstacles lie in wait. Mohamed Salah has scored nine goals in his last five outings against United and warmed up for one of his favourite opponents by reaching another milestone in Wednesday’s win over Wolves. Salah’s thighed finish made it 20 goals for the season in all competitions, meaning he has hit the 20 mark in each of his six campaigns as a Liverpool player. In a season of flux at Anfield it is a remarkable return, and Salah’s influence is starting to increase once again. Andy Hunter
[/article]

Can’t say I agree with the last part @Andy Hunter

He’s spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom