• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa set to become Real Madrid manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
That man won two La Liga titles with Valencia, and took Liverpool to two Champions League finals in 3 years.

His ability as a manager is tremendously underrated.
But like Wenger, he's gone ridiculously off the boil in recent years

Basically Madrid want a yes man, and think rafa fits the bill.

Basically Madrid want a yes man, and think rafa fits the bill.

I can't imagine anyone considers Rafa to be a yes man given his past.

I think he's a relatively popular choice with the Real Madrid fans and there aren't really too many other options, so not a bad bet in the interim.

They want a yes man, so they're getting rid of.......*Ancelotti*

and replacing him with Benitez?

They really must be fucking stupid.
I know it sounds mental.

Manager doing a mediocre Job with napoli, who always had the goal of managing Real. They might hope he would just be happy to turn up

He won't be, and he'll want a particular table, in a team filled with better and more expensive tables... And he'll moan. Then they'll regret it, and he'll be gone by seasons end

I know it sounds mental.

Manager doing a mediocre Job with napoli, who always had the goal of managing Real. They might hope he would just be happy to turn up

He won't be, and he'll want a particular table, in a team filled with better and more expensive tables... And he'll moan. Then they'll regret it, and he'll be gone by seasons end

Maybe, but Ancelotti's always struck me as pretty much a yes man himself. Perhaps not as bad as Sven, but not far off it.

Rafa's starting 11 with this Liverpool asquad excluding known departures.

4-4-2-1

Mingolet
Sakho (cb)
Skrtel (cb)
Moreno (lb)
Manquillo (rb)
Lucas (cm)
Can (cm)
Coutinho (lm)
Henderson (rm)
Markovic (cf) behind...
Sturridge (cf)

Rafa's starting 11 with this Liverpool asquad excluding known departures.

4-4-2-1

Mingolet
Sakho (cb)
Skrtel (cb)
Moreno (lb)
Manquillo (rb)
Lucas (cm)
Can (cm)
Coutinho (lm)
Henderson (rm)
Markovic (cf) behind...
Sturridge (cf)
You can swap Lucas for Allen.. he is being sold..

If we are lucky Rafa will be available in two years time after we sack Klopp for coming 5th again.

It's not coming fifth that's the issue, it's the manner we've ended up there. We might end up 6th anyway. We are directionless, without any kind of plan and BR has been exposed by middle of the road managers again and again. I really don't understand what people see as the difference between where we are now and the last days of Houllier/Benitez/Kenny. The points total is pathetic. Yes, of course Sturridge's injuries have been a huge loss, but we should be a big enough club to cope and the players bought have been woeful at covering our injuries. Last season was last season. We've been living on nearly for far too long. As always, I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong and we come out next season transformed. I'd love it if BR was the man we all hoped he was. Just think there are better options after three years and looking like we did when he first came.

Considering his last year with Napoli, and the cash he's spent, it's an incredible time for him to jump ship.

I'd LOVE him to win everything just to make a comment to Mourinho ... that feud is great, but I can't see him lasting there.

Mourinho probably lasted the longest in the last ten years.

Has this been confirmed?

For a one off match v Barcelona, I'd want Rafa in charge over pretty much anyone. Over a season who knows but he's capable of putting together a great side.

Apparently the feeling at Madrid (since it looked like Ancelotti was going to be booted out) was that they wanted a spanish coach; not sure about a yes man to be honest but at either Real Madrid or Barcelona the manager is never going to be the most powerful person anyway; especially currently with Ronaldo and Messi calling the shots. Presumably it's a similar situation at PSG.

I'm pleased for Benitez; I think he's developed into a manager who needs some sort of emotional connection with whoever he manages, which is both a good and bad thing. He's quite similar to Klopp in that way, and also in how he can take a team and get the most out of it. But with both they eventually run into the brick wall of other teams being able to buy better players.

As much as I'd like his home town connection to play in his favour, I doubt he'll be at Madrid for more than a couple of years as that's all anyone tends to get these days.

I think his time at Madrid will be painful on here as many Liverpool fans can't seem to shake Rafa from their bones.

If he succeeds, the Rafa fans will use it as stick to beat our current manager with. If he fails, Ross and the Anti Rafa Brigade will have another field day at his expense.

I like Rafa so I hope he does well but he'll have a hard job there.

If he manages to make Madrid the fourth CL club he's taken to mid table he'll have really outdone himself. Doing it with Inter was fascinating, Napoli less surprising but if he does it Real it will be achieving the impossible

If he manages to make Madrid the fourth CL club he's taken to mid table he'll have really outdone himself. Doing it with Inter was fascinating, Napoli less surprising but if he does it Real it will be achieving the impossible

He was at Inter for 6 months. They were 8th with 2 games in hand (10 points from CL qualification) when he left in Dec 2010. Won the Italian Super Cup and Club World Cup. They subsequently ended the season as runner-up, not in mid table position.

Feb 2011:
[article=http://www.football-italia.net/node/3532]“We had the same attitude with Benitez,” Zanetti said. “But there were 11 or 12 bad injuries, which complicated everything.

“As long as we were at full strength, we did well. Then we lost ground.

“Leo has brought enthusiasm back to us. But we know that everything depends on us.[/article]

As for Napoli, he lost Cavani (38 goals in 43 appearances in 2012/13) but they still qualified for CL by finishing third (with same no. of games won, drew and lost and with a better GD of +1).

2012/13 (previous season before he took over)
Italian Super Cup - runner up
Coppa Italia, Europa League - Round of 16

2013/14 (1st season in charge)
Coppa Italia - winners
Europa League - Round of 16
CL - finished level on points with Dortmund and Arsenal (12, failed to qualify due to GD)

2014/15 (2nd season)
Italian Super Cup - runner up
Coppa Italia - semi finalist
Europa League - semi finalist
CL - knocked out in play-off round by Athletico Bilbao

Napoli are currently 4th (again, not in mid table position), 3 points behind 3rd place Lazio who's occupying the last qualification spot. They face off each other in the last match of the season.

Just think its too easy to write off Benitez and Klopp's seasons by looking at things on the surface.

Worth noting that Massimiliano Allegri was sacked by AC Milan in Jan 2014 when they were 11th in Serie A, 30 points behind leaders Juventus.

I was going to pick Ross up on his use of 'mid table' but I presumed he was using dramatization for trolling purposes.

It's not coming fifth that's the issue, it's the manner we've ended up there. We might end up 6th anyway. We are directionless, without any kind of plan and BR has been exposed by middle of the road managers again and again. I really don't understand what people see as the difference between where we are now and the last days of Houllier/Benitez/Kenny. The points total is pathetic. Yes, of course Sturridge's injuries have been a huge loss, but we should be a big enough club to cope and the players bought have been woeful at covering our injuries. Last season was last season. We've been living on nearly for far too long. As always, I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong and we come out next season transformed. I'd love it if BR was the man we all hoped he was. Just think there are better options after three years and looking like we did when he first came.

I think the difference is that he brought us to such dizzy heights last year, not just the fact we almost won the league, but also the fact he brought youth through, and he played in such an exciting style not seen since the good old days. People are hoping this year was an aberration, and he can bring 2013-14 back. That's the difference.

As you suggest, it could be that 2013-14 was the aberration. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom