• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa set to become Real Madrid manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafa had guided us to 7th place and we bombed out of the CL group stages after one of the worst transfer windows ever.
Replacing Alonso, Hyypia, Arbeloa with Aquilani, Johnson and Kyrigiakos.
40 mill spent on those 3.

Stubborn, mental and just wasnt up to it anymore. 3 wins against the top 6 and we couldnt win away to save our lives.
We were going nowhere.

Rafa was great for us but lost it. It was time for a change and we shouldnt go back now.

Rafa had guided us to 7th place and we bombed out of the CL group stages after one of the worst transfer windows ever.

Stubborn, mental and just wasnt up to it anymore. 3 wins against the top 6 and we couldnt win away to save our lives.
We were going nowhere.

Rafa was great for us but lost it. It was time for a change and we shouldnt go back now.

He's unlikely to come back to us if Real Madrid are sniffing is he?

Even if we were interested.

True, but Rafas time being up and us getting Hodgson are two different issues imho.

Nah I think Benitez was replaced because he complained too much and Hodgson was hired because...er well, I don't know why he was hired. Probably because, in executive circles, he a safe, diplomatic 'one of us' type. Politics, not succession planning I'd suggest.

I don't think we should seriously consider getting him back either. Too much hassle and there appear to be better alternatives available.

I just find it amusing when people try to claim it was 'clear' his time was up and 'he had to go' when we still haven't had as good a manager since. In my opinion.

He's unlikely to come back to us if Real Madrid are sniffing is he?

Even if we were interested.

According to his agent he rejected Real Madrid two times when he was with us. This was from an interview a week ago. And I am reasonably confident that even if he is in the frame for the Madrid job, if FSG make a strong push, he will come back to us.

Whatever you think about Rafa and his tactics and transfers, I think he is the only top level manager who is mental enough to potentially reject Madrid three times for us.

I don't think we should seriously consider getting him back either. Too much hassle and there appear to be better alternatives available.

I just find it amusing when people try to claim it was 'clear' his time was up and 'he had to go' when we still haven't had as good a manager since. In my opinion.

And I find it puzzling when intelligent posters like you can't separate those two issues, neither of which is in any way dependent on the other. It would be different if there were absolutely no options out there, but that's probably hardly ever the case and certainly wasn't in this instance. Pellegrini had done well in Spain (which is what got Rafa himself the job in the first place) and there was always the option of putting the King in as caretaker while they did a fuller search.

And I find it puzzling when intelligent posters like you can't separate those two issues, neither of which is in any way dependent on the other.

Except they kind of are. If you find it fairly difficult to get a better manager than the one you sacked (strong case for that being true) that clearly impacts on whether it really was undeniably 'time for a change' in the first place, doesn't it? I mean, it doesn't prove the assertion untrue, but it's relevant to it - it casts doubt on it.

Marca saying he wants a Sporting Director!
[article=http://www.marca.com/en/2015/05/28/en/football/real_madrid/1432804694.html]Rafa Benítez likes making decisions when it comes to the transfer market, but he is used to having a sporting director to work alongside him to help him do so.

The coach is going to ask for a reliable sidekick at Real Madrid for planning in the sporting department and who can also be his spokesperson with the board.

Nowadays, such a position no longer exists, although Valdano, Sacchi, Floro, Butragueño and Pardeza did play that role in the past.

Benítez has always worked with a sporting director, except for his time at Liverpool where he was the general manager. He has had one at Napoli, although he has been in charge of transfers himself. He also had one at Inter, Marco Branca, and even at Chelsea, Michael Emenalo. During his time at Valencia, Javier Subirats started off in that position and was later replaced by García Pitarch.

Benítez is not happy unless he gets on well with the sporting director, who he sees as more of a team member than a person above him.

Real Madrid could choose somebody from within or look to recruit someone from outside the club if they do decide to bring the position back.[/article]

[article=http://www.football-italia.net/67027/de-laurentiis-salutes-benitez]Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis thanked departing Coach Rafa Benitez for his efforts at the club before defending the Vesuviani’s record.

The Spanish Coach has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid and announced at a Press conference today that he is departing at the end of the season.

De Laurentiis was sitting alongside Benitez as he made the announcement and expressed his gratitude to the former Liverpool boss.

“I thank Rafa for this time together, he won me over straight away in London two years ago and he has confirmed that impression to me since,” said De Laurentiis.

“Already a year ago Benitez let me know that this was his last season because his wife and children demanded to be closer to him.”

The Partenopei President also defended Napoli’s recent record, economic strategy and progress since he took over.

“We are the only Italian team that continues to be in Europe for the sixth consecutive year, the process of internationalisation has gone forward and the concept of playing with two midfielders rather than instead of three or five has developed.

“Economically we’re at a third of Milan, Borussia Dortmund and Juventus. This season, on June 30 we will finish the season with a loss of €20m.

“Two years ago we were 46th in the UEFA rankings, now we are 20th and ahead of Roma, Milan, Inter, Liverpool and Sevilla. We are the only Italian team to have won two trophies, only us and Juventus.”[/article]

To simplify: changing Managers should take place when you have a better replacement lined up.

Not ditch a Manager with 4 out of 5 successful seasons with an amiable blazer that you've met at a function.

Christ it's hard going on here sometimes.

I think the Amiable Blazer is the finest description of Hodgson I've ever seen. I shall be using it from now on.

He wore short-sleeved shirts. It was never going to work.

roy-hodgson_liverpool.jpg

To simplify: changing Managers should take place when you have a better replacement lined up.

Not ditch a Manager with 4 out of 5 successful seasons with an amiable blazer that you've met at a function.

Christ it's hard going on here sometimes.

In hindsight, I completely agree. But it was time to change, I think his own stubbornness built up and built up to a point where it was beyond fixing.

We were going nowhere.

This. I love Rafa. I think for the very most part he did a very good job at Liverpool, but our last season under him was awful. He was done by then. Those idiots should have cast their net wider than Roy fucking Hodgson though.

[article=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3103123/Real-Madrid-job-Rafa-Benitez-dreamed-used-tell-club-meant-Liverpool.html#ixzz3bb0QYkPk ]A life’s ambition has been realised for Rafa Benitez, who will become Real Madrid’s next manager.

When he started out his career in management, this was the job he always dreamed of getting and I know how much it means to him because he used to come up to me every couple of months at Melwood and say ‘Madrid have made me an offer’!

There has been surprise in some quarters that Madrid have turned to Benitez but, really, he should be thought of more highly within the game, considering his impressive c.v. Never mind what he did for Valencia and Liverpool, he’s won trophies for Inter Milan, Chelsea and Napoli too.

Perhaps it stems from his persona and the cryptic quotes he gives to the media; Benitez has political tendencies when he gets in a club and there is little doubt that will be tested to the maximum by Madrid’s hierarchy!

It has been said that he is too defensive to be in charge of Madrid’s fortunes but I don’t agree with that. He likes to have the right balance between defence and attack and that, essentially, is what all managers should want.

Already we have seen reports saying he is going to build his team around Gareth Bale. There is no doubt Madrid need to get more from Bale but it wouldn’t be too clever to concentrate on him instead of Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been scoring between 50 and 60 goals in each of the past five seasons.

He is following Carlo Ancelotti, who guided Real to La Decima and had the backing of Ronaldo, so, in some ways, there are parallels with the situation he went into at Inter Milan in 2010 when he succeeded Jose Mourinho, who had just won the treble.

What happened at Inter was the only blip on Benitez’s career, where he was sacked after less than six months. With Real Madrid, every manager ends up sacked, so the only issue for Benitez is how many trophies he can collect before the inevitable happens![/article]

This. I love Rafa. I think for the very most part he did a very good job at Liverpool, but our last season under him was awful. He was done by then. Those idiots should have cast their net wider than Roy fucking Hodgson though.

He obviously wasn't done as he's gone on to bigger and better things.

What nearly was done was the club run haphazardly by fools.

That has as much to do with our failings as it does with Rafa's performance
He obviously wasn't done as he's gone on to bigger and better things.

What nearly was done was the club run haphazardly by fools.

I think Aidan's point is that he was done at LFC.

That has as much to do with our failings as it does with Rafa's performance

I think Aidan's point is that he was done at LFC.

Thanks for pointing that out JJ I could never have worked it out.:rolleyes:

Er I don't accept or agree, although I'm fairly sure you've picked up on that.

Sorry if I misread you, but your answer strongly suggested you thought Aidan was accusing Rafa of being "done" overall, not just at LFC. If you don't even think he was done at LFC, we'll definitely have to agree to differ on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom