• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa set to become Real Madrid manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two points:

They subsequently ended the season as runner-up, not in mid table position.

He didn't manage to that spot though binny - he left long before the club made its run to second. Zanetti has always been a footballing gentlemen. There were other Inter players who said things that were quite different.

As for Napoli, he lost Cavani (38 goals in 43 appearances in 2012/13) but they still qualified for CL by finishing third (with same no. of games won, drew and lost and with a better GD of +1).

Replaced him with Higuain the next season ... Replaced a very good player with another very good player ...

I think the difference is that he brought us to such dizzy heights last year, not just the fact we almost won the league, but also the fact he brought youth through, and he played in such an exciting style not seen since the good old days. People are hoping this year was an aberration, and he can bring 2013-14 back. That's the difference.

As you suggest, it could be that 2013-14 was the aberration. We shall see.

Agree with you on that. I suppose by that logic we need to give him next season to see whether he can take us back to the exciting stuff of last season or not. Mmmm.

Two points:

He didn't manage to that spot though binny - he left long before the club made its run to second. Zanetti has always been a footballing gentlemen. There were other Inter players who said things that were quite different.

Replaced him with Higuain the next season ... Replaced a very good player with another very good player ...

Yeah, just pointing out they weren't even close to mid table. Besides, had they not won throphies, would their morale/confidence be affected and in turn cost them in their results? Also, a look at where Inter Milan finished in the subsequent seasons show the state in which the club was in and general direction they were heading towards. Leonardo probably saw that thus left barely after a few months that June.

2014-2015 8th
2013-2014 5th
2012-2013 9th
2011-2012 6th

Meanwhile, the quote is to point out the injuries they had (couldn't find detailed articles), not so much on Zanetti's comments.

Excerpt from Guardian:
[article=http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/21/rafael-benitez-internazionale-massimo-moratti]His spell at the club, as the successor to José Mourinho, had been undermined by injuries to key players and by the Italian champions' reluctance to spend heavily in the transfer market. The majority of supporters appeared to be sympathetic of the constraints under which Benítez had to work and had welcomed him back to Milan at the weekend chorusing his name.[/article]

The point about them losing Cavani was to highlight similarities to us losing Suarez - and the job done in replacing star players. Napoli had just returned to Serie A in 2008.

Agree with you on that. I suppose by that logic we need to give him next season to see whether he can take us back to the exciting stuff of last season or not. Mmmm.

Personally, I think the negative momentum has set in and we may be wasting another season by giving him till December. Better to clear the rot now. The past few weeks have indicated to me, that he doesn't have it any more, and he may have lost the players.

Yeah, just pointing out they weren't even close to mid table. Besides, had they not won throphies, would their morale/confidence be affected and in turn cost them in their results? Also, a look at where Inter Milan finished in the subsequent seasons show the state in which the club was in and general direction they were heading towards. Leonardo probably saw that thus left barely after a few months that June.

2014-2015 8th
2013-2014 5th
2012-2013 9th
2011-2012 6th

Meanwhile, the quote is to point out the injuries they had (couldn't find detailed articles), not so much on Zanetti's comments.

Excerpt from Guardian:
[article=http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/21/rafael-benitez-internazionale-massimo-moratti]His spell at the club, as the successor to José Mourinho, had been undermined by injuries to key players and by the Italian champions' reluctance to spend heavily in the transfer market. The majority of supporters appeared to be sympathetic of the constraints under which Benítez had to work and had welcomed him back to Milan at the weekend chorusing his name.[/article]

The point about them losing Cavani was to highlight similarities to us losing Suarez - and the job done in replacing star players. Napoli had just returned to Serie A in 2008.

Mourinho left an excellent base that needed refreshing - Rafa didn't do that (and alienated his best striker too if I remember correctly, in Diego Millito). That being said, injuries robbed him of a fair chance but there was a reason he didn't last a full season ... The squad was disenchanted with him despite the trophies.

It's not similar to us losing Suarez ... we replaced Suarez with? Lambert and BAlotelli ... They replaced him Higuain ... I wonder where we'd be if we had done a similarly good job! :) Benetiz took over a good Napoli team though - that they were in serie A since 2008 doesn't take from the fact they were alerady a top team when he was hired. Didn't think he (or anyone in Italy) was capable of managing a seasong long challenge against Juve - theyr'e too good.

Mourinho left an excellent base that needed refreshing - Rafa didn't do that (and alienated his best striker too if I remember correctly, in Diego Millito). That being said, injuries robbed him of a fair chance but there was a reason he didn't last a full season ... The squad was disenchanted with him despite the trophies.

Bit harsh that. He blooded Coutinho and then the next manger got rid of him.

It's not similar to us losing Suarez ... we replaced Suarez with? Lambert and BAlotelli ... They replaced him Higuain ... I wonder where we'd be if we had done a similarly good job! :) Benetiz took over a good Napoli team though - that they were in serie A since 2008 doesn't take from the fact they were alerady a top team when he was hired. Didn't think he (or anyone in Italy) was capable of managing a seasong long challenge against Juve - theyr'e too good.

"an excellent base that needed refreshing - Rafa didn't do that"
- Zanetti 36, Materazzi 36, Cordoba 33, Lucio and Samuel 32, Stankovic & Milito 31, Cambiasso, Eto'o & Chivu 29
- 57 matches played in previous treble winning season
- He wanted to but wasn't granted the wish
[article=http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rafa-benitez-warns-inter-milan-1078816]"Last year Moratti spent £70 million on five players. This year, with a new coach, he has spent nothing. " [/article]
- Marco Branca was the Technical Director - responsible for transfers (was sacked in Feb 2014).
[article=http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/06/marco-branca-the-man-who-ruined-inter/]Branca was responsible for the majority of Inter’s transfers during their treble winning 2009/10 season. Key pieces like Lucio, Diego Milito, and Samuel Eto’o were all brought in and shined for the club.

However, the latter was only acquired due to the Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Barcelona deal, which involved both cash and a player exchange. Lucio and Milito were signed by teams abroad and in Italy respectively, and were two of the best in their positions during the Jose Mourinho-era.

Lucio was arguably the best defender in 2009/10 while Milito was one of Europe’s top marksmen with 30 goals in 52 games in his debut campaign for the Nerazzurri. Despite all of that success, the one flaw in those moves for Branca have been the ages of the South Americans.

Lucio was 31 when he moved from Bayern Munich, while Milito was 29 upon leaving Genoa. They were both in their primes, but since Mourinho left, every player around that age are either past their peak or consistently hurt.

That’s where Branca’s strategy has gone awry. For those two or three years, those specific players shone on the big stage. Once they reached their mid-thirties, however, they no longer performed at that top level.[/article]

"similarities to us losing Suarez"
- not replacing.
- Point about Napoli being in Serie B barely 5 years ago was regarding stature of the club. For example, would Higuain have joined Napoli had it been someone else in charge? Don't think he was short of suitors.

As mentioned, just don't think he's doing that poorly. That's my main point, really. :)

Personally, I think the negative momentum has set in and we may be wasting another season by giving him till December. Better to clear the rot now. The past few weeks have indicated to me, that he doesn't have it any more, and he may have lost the players.

Agreed again. Wtf is going on?

Two points:

Yeah Matterazzi was very scathing but he was very very close and loyal to Mourinho.

Benitez is a well thought of Manager with an impressive CV. It can't be disputed. Clubs like Liverpool, Inter, Chelsea and now Real Madrid wouldn't consider him if there was a doubt.

Carry on knocking to those who dislike him but it was a very stupid decision by our club to replace him with Hodgson. I hope the Madrid story is true and he gets the opportunity, I don't think he'll let them down.

Benitez is a well thought of Manager with an impressive CV. It can't be disputed. Clubs like Liverpool, Inter, Chelsea and now Real Madrid wouldn't consider him if there was a doubt.

Carry on knocking to those who dislike him but it was a very stupid decision by our club to replace him with Hodgson. I hope the Madrid story is true and he gets the opportunity, I don't think he'll let them down.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, but the fact that we had a brainfart and hired Hodgson doesn't change the accompanying fact that Rafa's time was up.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, but the fact that we had a brainfart and hired Hodgson doesn't change the accompanying fact that Rafa's time was up.

It was stupid to replace him with an inferior Manager. Making moves for political reasons always ends poorly.

Appointing Hodgson was a daft decision. Giving Rafa his cards was not. We should have made a much better choice of his replacement, but keeping him on would definitely have been daft too by that stage.

Didnt we talk to Pellegrini before we hired Hodgson? God knows what we were thinking.

Can we have a debate on the merits of re-signing Michael Owen next - since we're in that retro debate mood.

[article=http://www.marca.com/en/2015/05/21/en/football/real_madrid/1432234818.html]Jürgen Klopp cleaned up in MARCA.com's poll concerning who should take over from Carlo Ancelotti if the Italian leaves.

The departing Dortmund boss got 44% of the more than 30,000 votes, streets ahead of any other candidate. Next in line was former Real Madrid player Míchel, who was given the nod by 14.7% of respondents, while Sevilla manager Unai Emery was third with 10.8%. Fourth was another German, Joachim Löw, with 9%.

Rafa Benítez, who is reportedly the frontrunner for the job, came in fifth with 8.9%. Despite his status at the club, Zinedine Zidane only has the support of 7.4% of our users. Porto and former Spain under-21 coach Julen Lopetegui was the penultimate pick (2.8%) ahead of André Villas-Boas (2.4%).[/article]

The real problem was with the owners. It might have been possible to proceed on a kind of autopilot basis until the ownership had been resolved by just requesting a sort of cooling off period before any major changes were contemplated.

You don't always need drastic action.

Ultimately he went because people like Purslow hated him. Anything else could have been talked through.

The real problem was with the owners. It might have been possible to proceed on a kind of autopilot basis until the ownership had been resolved by just requesting a sort of cooling off period before any major changes were contemplated.

You don't always need drastic action.

Ultimately he went because people like Purslow hated him. Anything else could have been talked through.

In your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom