• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup

Obviously I'd love Ireland to do it, but that group we're in is a fucking nightmare. If we had an easier group I'd fancy us, but I don't think anyone is going to emerge from that group without serious fatigue and no doubt, with a plague of injury problems.I certainly don't take our progression from the group for granted. Emerging from the group if you manage it you face a reasonably fresh France or All Blacks side. Nightmare. With that in mind, the big teams from all other groups are advantaged. My feeling is France will do it.

Obviously I'd love Ireland to do it, but that group we're in is a fucking nightmare. If we had an easier group I'd fancy us, but I don't think anyone is going to emerge from that group without serious fatigue and no doubt, with a plague of injury problems.I certainly don't take our progression from the group for granted. Emerging from the group if you manage it you face a reasonably fresh France or All Blacks side. Nightmare. With that in mind, the big teams from all other groups are advantaged. My feeling is France will do it.

Your feeling is terrible! ZEE FRENCH!??!?
They win enough in footy - leave rugby to the southern hemisphere! :)

Your feeling is terrible! ZEE FRENCH!??!?
They win enough in footy - leave rugby to the southern hemisphere! :)
I think it is a stitch up putting the Saffers and Ireland in the same group with Scotland, who are the best looking Scots team in a generation. If it wasn't for us sharing that group my money would be on the Saffers or Ireland. You have to say, from the rest France are the best side.

I think it is a stitch up putting the Saffers and Ireland in the same group with Scotland, who are the best looking Scots team in a generation. If it wasn't for us sharing that group my money would be on the Saffers or Ireland. You have to say, from the rest France are the best side.

Yah your analysis is pretty fair ... oh well, excited!

I fancied France quite heavily until their number 10 was ruled out of the tournament

Probably the most open world cup that I can remember

100%. We do seem to have timed this team's peaking to perfection - finally! - but that is a cnut of a group and the two other best teams around right now (IMHO) potentially await us if we make it out. That's a HUGE ask.

Conversely, if England have anything at all about them, they should make the semi finals without breaking a sweat.

Everybody is complaining about the draw and I fully agree that it's a rubbish way of doing it.........But it does mean we get to see some great games in the early stages of the tournament.

Not only do I agree but I'm going to go one further, I think this world cup will also fuck up Ireland's chances in next year's six nations.

I didn't realise until watching some pre-tourno shows this week that Ireland has never won a WC knockout game.

They need to beat SA in the group I reckon otherwise they'll get France in the Qs and that poor run might continue. Mind you, even if they do, they'll get the ABs. Tough draw.

Impressive by France.. in years gone by that start would have seen them crumble.

Bodes well for a northern hemisphere team winning it all.

Impressive display by Ireland, especially O'Mahony and Sexton after his long break.

But also kudos to Romania who gave all they had - the result doesn't really mirror their effort.

The France/All Blacks result didn't surprise me all that much. The Blacks are well short of their best.

Ditto England. I reckon Argentina will win tonight. Borthwick did well at club level but their run-up to the tournament has been spectacularly underwhelming. The fact that our scrum-half and one of the wingers weren't even in the squad originally tells its own story.

As for overall winners, I can see home support swinging it for the French (unless they lose form, in which case it could become a millstone around their necks instead).

This is much easier for me to say as there is 0% chance that England will win the WC......So here goes,....That was a superb performance last night!

That it was. Curry's red (a travesty BTW - yellow, yes, but no way worse than the Argie aerial assault that led to their yellow but stopped there) made them angry and that's a mistake at top international level. Argentina contributed to their own downfall by losing their heads, but it was still a magnificent showing.

You lot won't win it either BTW.

What impressed me most, was that England controlled and bossed the game throughout.

I was expecting Argentina to come out after halftime and takeover, but if anything it was even easier for England.

So here goes day 3:

Japan v Chile

Should be an easy win for Japan, anything else would surprise me.

South Africa v Scotland

This should be a belter! The best Scotland team in ages face one of the best teams of the world right now. I think Scotland could really win this one.

Wales v Fiji

Wales will win comfortably.

So here goes day 3:

Japan v Chile

Should be an easy win for Japan, anything else would surprise me.

South Africa v Scotland

This should be a belter! The best Scotland team in ages face one of the best teams of the world right now. I think Scotland could really win this one.

Wales v Fiji

Wales will win comfortably.

Unfortunately, it will be the best time to beat us imo ... But if we win convincingly, hold on to yer horses

Fiji have always had talent (it's been plain to see in sevens tournaments and in the occasional Test Match) but not knitted it together into a consistently effective unit before. Time will tell if their current team will break the mould but yes, your concern may turn out to be justified.

In the years I've followed international rugby the Jockoes have frequently been the jokers in the pack, capable of beating anyone one matchday and losing to anyone the next. The game against the Saffers depends on which Scotland team turns up. If they're on it, they can win. If not, they could equally well get steamrollered.

Back
Top Bottom